Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
* * * * - 1 votes

Comcast Philadelphia

• Please log in to reply
2383 replies to this topic

#441 OFFLINE   la24philly

la24philly

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,708 posts

Posted 23 August 2010 - 06:20 PM

the sign was taken down and the new wells fargo sign will be up on 9/14.

lady gaga will be the first event with the new sign.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#442 OFFLINE   onefunpun

onefunpun

• Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 23 August 2010 - 06:28 PM

Sorry if this has been suggested here before -- I really believe that Comcast knows they will eventually lose this issue, but they plan to use it as a chip and give it up (with other concessions not as harsh because of their so-called capitulation on this) to get the NBC deal through the FCC & the DOJ. They likely believe this has value in trade, thus they won't roll over at this point...

#443 OFFLINE   spaul

spaul

Godfather

• Registered
  • 264 posts

Posted 27 August 2010 - 08:32 AM

Here is another reason Comcast is holding Phila. area sports fans hostage.Reading this morning in the sports sec. of Phila. Inquirer the Sixers Tv schedule for this season and low and behold as usual only one national game on TNT .Which I know is because of their record the last few years tha being said Comcast doesn,t allow any local OTA broadcast of these games.Yes again Comcast shuts out everybody that don,t have cable this has been their direction in the last 3 yrs. when they stopped airing some games on local OTA even if that was maybe 6-10 games .Come on FCC start pressuring Comcast to open up CSN and if for some stupid reason they allow status quoa then someone should at least have them make some games available thru OTA.

#444 OFFLINE   la24philly

la24philly

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,708 posts

Posted 27 August 2010 - 08:36 AM

I think last year was a start 10 flyers and sixers games were on TCN 0 on puplic tv 17 or 57.

The day CSN makes games available on D. Watch for more games to be moved to TCN.

#445 OFFLINE   jpl

jpl

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,756 posts

Posted 27 August 2010 - 09:07 AM

I think last year was a start 10 flyers and sixers games were on TCN 0 on puplic tv 17 or 57.

The day CSN makes games available on D. Watch for more games to be moved to TCN.

Couple points on this. First, the loophole is effectively closed. The FCC ruled on that several months ago. Now there's an appeals process going on with that, but Comcast decided not to appeal the decision (although CableVision did). When the appeals process is over, the forced carriage of an RSN won't be done by default. Instead each provider wanting access to the channel is going to have to make the case to the FCC. That is, they're going to have to demonstrate that they've been hurt, financially, by not being able to carry an RSN. That bar will be set obscenely low. From everything I've read, I can't imagine there are going to be any cases where the FCC prevents the carriage of such a channel.

In fact, the case that Verizon made to the FCC on this, in the hearing in which they called for the closing of the loophole, centered around the fact that other providers are hurt by unfair competitive practices when only one provider has access to an RSN. Even though Verizon wasn't prevented from carrying CSN Philly, they used that RSN to make their case. They argued that DBS dish penetration in the Philly market is 40% below the expected penetration rate for a market this size... and they attributed it to the lack of ability of DirecTV and Dish to carry CSN Phily. They made a similar argument about San Diego.

The FCC bought the argument, which means that (since CSN Philly was specifically used in Verizon's argument) when all this mess is done, when DirecTV goes to the FCC asking for the channel, they're going to get it. At some point DirecTV will get the channel.

One last point - the argument you made about more games going to TCN... that doesn't hold water for one reason. Comcast isn't holding other providers back on TCN. DirecTV could carry it today if they wanted to - after much griping from FiOS subscribers, Verizon finally relented and added the SD version of the channel to our FiOS line-up. And trust me, if Comcast had to do it all over again, they wouldn't give Verizon access to CSN Philly. The fact that they did the first time out still surprises me.

#446 OFFLINE   dminches

dminches

Godfather

• Registered
  • 415 posts

Posted 27 August 2010 - 12:29 PM

Great, informative post, jpl. I too was shocked when FiOS was given access to CSN. I have some philly fans living in my south jersey home so I was forced to get FiOS for their games. I'll be happy when it shows up on Directv and I can drop it.

Do you know how long the appeal process is expected to take?

DirecTV subscriber since 1994
HR24-500 (2 TB eSata) -> Runco LS-5 vis HDMI
HR20-100s (2 TB eSata) -> Runco LS-5 vis HDMI
HR24-100 (1.5 TB eSata) -> Sony 50E2000 via HDMI
HR20-700 - owned (2 TB internal) -> Samsung LN32A550 via HDMI
HR20-100s - owned -> Sony Bravia 40"
HR20-100 - owned (2 TB internal)

#447 OFFLINE   n3ntj

n3ntj

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,697 posts

Posted 27 August 2010 - 12:59 PM

Couple points on this. First, the loophole is effectively closed. The FCC ruled on that several months ago. Now there's an appeals process going on with that, but Comcast decided not to appeal the decision (although CableVision did). When the appeals process is over, the forced carriage of an RSN won't be done by default. Instead each provider wanting access to the channel is going to have to make the case to the FCC. That is, they're going to have to demonstrate that they've been hurt, financially, by not being able to carry an RSN. That bar will be set obscenely low. From everything I've read, I can't imagine there are going to be any cases where the FCC prevents the carriage of such a channel.

In fact, the case that Verizon made to the FCC on this, in the hearing in which they called for the closing of the loophole, centered around the fact that other providers are hurt by unfair competitive practices when only one provider has access to an RSN. Even though Verizon wasn't prevented from carrying CSN Philly, they used that RSN to make their case. They argued that DBS dish penetration in the Philly market is 40% below the expected penetration rate for a market this size... and they attributed it to the lack of ability of DirecTV and Dish to carry CSN Phily. They made a similar argument about San Diego.

The FCC bought the argument, which means that (since CSN Philly was specifically used in Verizon's argument) when all this mess is done, when DirecTV goes to the FCC asking for the channel, they're going to get it. At some point DirecTV will get the channel.

One last point - the argument you made about more games going to TCN... that doesn't hold water for one reason. Comcast isn't holding other providers back on TCN. DirecTV could carry it today if they wanted to - after much griping from FiOS subscribers, Verizon finally relented and added the SD version of the channel to our FiOS line-up. And trust me, if Comcast had to do it all over again, they wouldn't give Verizon access to CSN Philly. The fact that they did the first time out still surprises me.

Good post. I, too, was surprised that Comcrap let Verizon have CSN Philly a few years back. I would imagine the appeals process will take 3~6 months. D* and Comcrap still have to then agree on a deal.... this could take a long time, unless Comcrap is required to offer D* the channel at the same price (per sub) that Verizon paid. I would imagine that such a law exists to prevent a provide from 'giving' a channel to one provider and 'gouging' another provider for the same channel.

I know that D* will eventually get CSN Philly HD (someday!), but I am not holding my breath until I see it for myself. I could also foresee Comcrap providing CSN Philly to D* using the worst possible equipment and feed method to D* (dropped signal, video/audio out of sync, etc.) just to piss off D* customers. You just know Comcrap will do whatever they can to try to screw D* customers.

:hurah:
HD Snob - "Friends Don't Let Friends Watch Cable".
Electrical/RF Engineer & Inspector
DirecTV Equipment: HR24-200, HR24-100, 5LNB Slimline, AM21, SWiM 8 installed (MRV)
HR-2x Configuration: Native OFF. Units OFF when not in use.
TVs: 2 Panasonic Plasma TV's each using HDMI (one 1080p/one 720p)
DirecTV customer since 1998. Plus HD DVR package w/ NHL Center Ice & MLB Extra Innings.
OTA Antenna: Homebrew UHF & VHF antennas w/ 30dB amplifier fed w/ RG-6 Quad-shield coax.

#448 OFFLINE   la24philly

la24philly

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,708 posts

Posted 27 August 2010 - 02:16 PM

Washington, D.C. (July 29, 2010) -- DIRECTV and Dish Network viewers may finally be able to watch Philadelphia area sports teams from the comfort of their homes.

Mulitchannel News reports that Comcast is negotiating the rights to carry Comcast Sports Net Philadelphia with both DIRECTV and Dish Network. The regional sports channel carries the Phillies, Flyers and 76ers in Philadelphia.

Until recently, federal law permitted the cable operator to deny the satcasters access to CSN Philadelphia. However, the FCC ruled earlier this year that cable operators must offer the channels they own to their rivals.

However, despite the ruling, it's not a definite that Comcast and the satcasters will reach an agreement. Additionally, it's possible that Comcast could license the standard-definition version of CSN Philadelphia, but not the high-def edition.

#449 OFFLINE   la24philly

la24philly

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,708 posts

Posted 27 August 2010 - 02:18 PM

Comcast does not plan to appeal the decision, so DirecTV and Dish can negotiate immediately to add the channel to their lineups. Both providers formally asked for access to the channel on June 25, 2010. On July 28, 2010, it was reported that Comcast is in talks with DirecTV and Dish Network for carriage of CSN Philadelphia. Two days later, after accusing Comcast of refusing to negotiate in good faith, Dish Network said it will file a complaint with the FCC.

#450 OFFLINE   la24philly

la24philly

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,708 posts

Posted 27 August 2010 - 02:23 PM

I would say that CSN philly will be on D and E by end of sept / oct

i noticed that comcast when they do anything as far as adding channels and launching channels it always is in sept / oct for some reason.

but i wonder if when they do csn philly will it only be the SD version

#451 OFFLINE   la24philly

la24philly

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,708 posts

Posted 27 August 2010 - 03:17 PM

hey wilbur, flyers have 9 and potential for 14 national tv games.

flyers have a record 9 games on Versus Thu., Oct. 7 @ Pittsburgh Penguins, 7 p.m. ET

Thu., Oct. 14 vs. Tampa Bay Lightning, 7 p.m. ET

Tue., Oct. 26 vs. Buffalo Sabres, 7:30 p.m. ET

Tue., Nov. 16 @ Montreal Canadiens, 7 p.m. ET

Wed., Dec. 8 vs. San Jose Sharks, 7 p.m. ET

Tue., Dec. 14 vs. Pittsburgh Penguins, 7 p.m. ET

Tue., Jan. 11 @ Buffalo Sabres, 7:30 p.m. ET

Tue., Jan. 25 vs. Montreal Canadiens, 7:30 p.m. ET

Tue., Mar. 22 vs. Washington Capitals, 7:30 p.m. ET

and here are potential 5 games on NBC

Sun., Jan. 23 @ Chicago Blackhawks, 3 p.m. ET

Sun., Feb. 13 vs. Los Angeles Kings, 7 p.m. ET

Sun., Feb. 20 @ NY Rangers, 3 p.m. ET

Sun., Mar. 6 @ NY Rangers, 3 p.m. ET

Sun., Apr. 3 vs. NY Rangers, 3.p.m. ET

i doubt they will do 3 flyers rangers games, plus i dont think they will do the kings game at 7 that be the first i ever see n nbc game at 7 but it is after football season

#452 OFFLINE   bosco10021

bosco10021

Icon

• Registered
  • 514 posts

Posted 27 August 2010 - 05:42 PM

I have a feeling that Comcast Philadelphia on NHL Center Ice will have to be the main subject of fan calls to Bettman's show this year.

#453 OFFLINE   wilbur_the_goose

wilbur_the_goose

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,390 posts

Posted 27 August 2010 - 06:32 PM

I wonder if Comcast will wait until after the election to see if they have bought another lackey in Congress. Remember, the "loophole" was put there for a reason.

#454 OFFLINE   la24philly

la24philly

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,708 posts

Posted 27 August 2010 - 06:35 PM

well wilbur senator spector is out and he really helped keep the loophole for comcast.

#455 OFFLINE   WebTraveler

WebTraveler

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,089 posts

Posted 27 August 2010 - 06:35 PM

Comcast does not plan to appeal the decision, so DirecTV and Dish can negotiate immediately to add the channel to their lineups. Both providers formally asked for access to the channel on June 25, 2010. On July 28, 2010, it was reported that Comcast is in talks with DirecTV and Dish Network for carriage of CSN Philadelphia. Two days later, after accusing Comcast of refusing to negotiate in good faith, Dish Network said it will file a complaint with the FCC.

This is the Brian Roberts way of doing business. Tell others you will offer the channel. Then, instead, charge them so darn much that you have effectively blocked the channel. We're dealing with this issue with Comcast Sportsnet Northwest. Oh, its available to all, but it really isn't.

Roberts is way out of bounds on the spirit of the FCC's decision. I don't expect ethical conduct out of this guy. He is a complete jerk. He is the closest thing to Scrooge that our society has. He's probably counting his coins right now and laughing at all of us. I don't wish bad on folks, but this guy is the exception to that rule. His overall lack of integrity is simply disgusting.

#456 OFFLINE   la24philly

la24philly

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,708 posts

Posted 27 August 2010 - 06:36 PM

i wonder if brian roberts will offer CSN as a premium like channel like say ok if directv or dish customers want CSN they will have to pay 20 bucks amonth for it.

is he allowed to offer it like a ppv channel?

#457 OFFLINE   WebTraveler

WebTraveler

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,089 posts

Posted 27 August 2010 - 06:40 PM

i wonder if brian roberts will offer CSN as a premium like channel like say ok if directv or dish customers want CSN they will have to pay 20 bucks amonth for it.

is he allowed to offer it like a ppv channel?

Brian Roberts can do virtually anything he wants. So long as his ego gets in the way of common sense, we're all screwed. The bottom line is that he is a first class jerk.

#458 OFFLINE   la24philly

la24philly

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,708 posts

Posted 27 August 2010 - 06:43 PM

i hear u webb, I have both D and C D is my main tv source i have like the everything pack plus the sport pack all in HD great.

I unfortenatuly have to have C for 2 channels basically. its like an extra 50 a month roberts gets.

total i pay about 160 in tv amonth not including the sports packages

#459 OFFLINE   la24philly

la24philly

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,708 posts

Posted 27 August 2010 - 09:54 PM

Flyers have 8 preseason games 4 home 4 road 3 games will be on csn/tcn

CSN PHilly has 3 games for the NHL preseason. 2 Games will actually be on TCN due to phillies on CSN.

9/21/10 7pm New Jersey Devils @ Philadelphia Flyers Wells Fargo Center TCN
9/29/10 7pm New York Islanders @ Philadelphia Flyers Wells Fargo Center TCN

10/1/10 7pm Buffalo Sabers @ Philadelphia Flyers Wells Fargo Center CSN

i feel more and more TCN will get more games. last year TCN got 10 flyers game tahts alot

i posted this before but wanted to add 2 more games that will be on tv.

9/23/10 Toronto Maple Leafs Vs Philadelphia Flyers in london ONtario flyers will be the home team. 7pm game is on Leafs TV

9/24/10 7pm Philadelphia Flyers vs Toronto Maple Leafs air canada centre game is on leafs tv

TCN might simulcast the 2 games on leafs tv, they did that last year when flyers played senators they simulcasted rogers sportsnet ontario

#460 OFFLINE   la24philly

la24philly

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,708 posts

Posted 27 August 2010 - 09:56 PM

here is a link to all NHL preseason games that will be on TV

http://www.nhl.com/i...tm?month=201009 that will start with sept you can then from their also click oct tab to see games in october

spam firewall