Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
* * * * - 1 votes

Comcast Philadelphia

• Please log in to reply
2383 replies to this topic

#41 OFFLINE   GlennDio

GlennDio

Icon

• Registered
  • 580 posts
  • LocationTampa, FL

Posted 12 March 2010 - 06:58 PM

comcast only has 20% of CSN Chicago and they do not own the teams.

not the point ... just trying to judge what the out of market per sub is based on the in market ... so if 15 cents in and 2 out in chicago and they get 30 cents in for philly 4 out would be a reasonable amount

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#42 OFFLINE   spaul

spaul

Godfather

• Registered
  • 264 posts

Posted 12 March 2010 - 07:05 PM

Hoping that Directv gets CSN Phila. soon which, would be great since being without my home town teams games .Living in the Delaware valley where Comcast shuts you out form even seeing any games even if I, subscribed to league pass etc.I, been in the past mentioned would not go back to Comcast after dropping them over 3yrs ago.That being said I, though being in the area that CSN Phila would be my regional sports channel if and when Directv gets this channel I,can again see the games plus have the better service &equipment that I enjoy since leaving Comcast.

#43 OFFLINE   n3ntj

n3ntj

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,700 posts

Posted 12 March 2010 - 08:03 PM

Living within the CSN Philly market, I too would obtain access as it would become one of my RSNs. I still don't see it happening anytime soon. Comcrap will fight this thing to the death before they provide D* with the CSN Philly signal. Don't hold your breath, anyone.
HD Snob - "Friends Don't Let Friends Watch Cable".
Electrical/RF Engineer & Inspector
DirecTV Equipment: HR24-200, HR24-100, 5LNB Slimline, AM21, SWiM 8 installed (MRV)
HR-2x Configuration: Native OFF. Units OFF when not in use.
TVs: 2 Panasonic Plasma TV's each using HDMI (one 1080p/one 720p)
DirecTV customer since 1998. Plus HD DVR package w/ NHL Center Ice & MLB Extra Innings.
OTA Antenna: Homebrew UHF & VHF antennas w/ 30dB amplifier fed w/ RG-6 Quad-shield coax.

#44 OFFLINE   Albie

Albie

Godfather

• Registered
  • 284 posts

Posted 12 March 2010 - 08:31 PM

PS - CSN Philly really is a darn good station. I'm a Buffalo native, but I'm a die-hard Phillies fan, and it's been tough not having them on TV 162 times per year.

No it will be just like any other RSN. Those in the Philly DMA will get it in basic and those out of market will have to sub to the Sports Pack to get all the non Phillies, Flyers, Sixers games.

#45 OFFLINE   beachmonkey

beachmonkey

Legend

• Registered
  • 221 posts

Posted 12 March 2010 - 10:56 PM

Comcast will not appeal court ruling
http://www.multichan...ss_Decision.php

Seems like Comcast is really trying to bring out the olive branch in exchange for NBC Universal.

Dear Federal Government, please deny the NBCU purchase to Comcast.

#46 OFFLINE   wilbur_the_goose

wilbur_the_goose

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,393 posts

Posted 13 March 2010 - 06:18 AM

beachmonkey - That wasn't the terrestrial loophole case. Besides, who's going to take the case, the Supreme Court (I don't think so!)

#47 OFFLINE   n3ntj

n3ntj

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,700 posts

Posted 13 March 2010 - 04:56 PM

Dear Federal Government, please deny the NBCU purchase to Comcast.

Hopefully, that's after Comcrap has already provided CSN Philly HD to D*.
DirecTV Equipment: HR24-200, HR24-100, 5LNB Slimline, AM21, SWiM 8 installed (MRV)
DirecTV customer since 1998. Plus HD DVR package w/ NHL Center Ice & MLB Extra Innings.
OTA Antenna: Homebrew UHF & VHF antennas w/ 30dB amplifier fed w/ RG-6 Quad-shield coax.

#48 OFFLINE   celticpride

celticpride

Icon

• Registered
  • 967 posts

Posted 15 March 2010 - 11:54 AM

Thats why i think negotiations will go better than you think! comcast wants to buy NBC so they know they have to change their ways.

#49 OFFLINE   la24philly

la24philly

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,708 posts

Posted 15 March 2010 - 01:56 PM

Remember if you do switch to verizon fios, they do not have TCN the comcast network.

TCN has shown 10 flyers, sixers, and have alot of phillies games scheduled for spring and first month of april.

TCN is 100% own by comcrap. IT is our version of CSN 2.

I remember the Old prism premium channel which was our sports network before it was changed to CSN in 1997 the flagship of all CSN's.

prism became starz for movies and csn was our new sports network.

after talking to comcast i would say fall 2010 you will see CSN on D as far as price or what package or what csn will charge wont know till then.

Lou

#50 OFFLINE   n3ntj

n3ntj

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,700 posts

Posted 15 March 2010 - 05:24 PM

I would agree we won't see CSN Philly on D* anytime earlier than this fall. Comcrap will go crying and screaming before they will let D* have CSN Philly HD.

#51 OFFLINE   JoeTheDragon

JoeTheDragon

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,192 posts

Posted 15 March 2010 - 06:00 PM

Remember if you do switch to verizon fios, they do not have TCN the comcast network.

TCN has shown 10 flyers, sixers, and have alot of phillies games scheduled for spring and first month of april.

TCN is 100% own by comcrap. IT is our version of CSN 2.

Lou

How did they pull that one off. In Chicago they did have CSN+ SD on CLTV (long time comcast only) But all CSN + and CSN + HD stuff was and is on all other cable and sat systems. WOW cable does not have CSN + HD.
I want CLTV / CLTV HD on direct tv.

#52 OFFLINE   wilbur_the_goose

wilbur_the_goose

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,393 posts

Posted 15 March 2010 - 07:41 PM

JoeTheDragon,
Comcast essentially runs metro Philly. Not a bad thing - they're a major employer and provide the area a lot of benefits.

With that type of clout, they can, and do, just about anything they'd like.

#53 OFFLINE   kenkraly2004

kenkraly2004

AllStar

• Registered
  • 80 posts

Posted 15 March 2010 - 11:19 PM

It whould be great if Directv adds CSN Philadelphia.

#54 OFFLINE   TonySCV

TonySCV

Legend

• Registered
  • 164 posts

Posted 16 March 2010 - 09:49 AM

This is interesting...

http://latimesblogs....nel-versus.html

"The two sides had been deadlocked until recently when Mike White, the new DirecTV chief executive, got involved in the process. The companies also resolved carriage disputes over a couple of regional sports networks owned by Comcast in Northern California and New England."

No specifics on which channels though.

Edited by TonySCV, 16 March 2010 - 05:15 PM.

#55 OFFLINE   Grafixguy

Grafixguy

Godfather

• Registered
  • 377 posts

Posted 16 March 2010 - 11:38 AM

This is interesting...

http://latimesblogs....nel-versus.html

"The two sides had been deadlocked until recently when Mike White, the new DirecTV chief executive, got involved in the process. The companies also resolved carriage disputes over a couple of regional sports networks owned by Comcast in Northern California and New England."

No specifics on which channels though.

Given Philly's location geographically, I'd say it has nothing at all to do with CSN Philly.

#56 OFFLINE   ramcm7

ramcm7

Legend

• Registered
  • 231 posts

Posted 16 March 2010 - 12:48 PM

Given Philly's location geographically, I'd say it has nothing at all to do with CSN Philly.

They might just not have great geographic knowledge.

LA Times Fact Checker: "If it was important in the American Revolution and it wasn't part of the Confederacy, it must be in New England, right? Go with it!;)"

#57 OFFLINE   Brian_R

Brian_R

AllStar

• Registered
  • 55 posts

Posted 16 March 2010 - 01:46 PM

Until the FCC fixes the loophole Comcast Philly being available is a dream..:nono:

#58 OFFLINE   Beerstalker

Beerstalker

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,986 posts

Posted 16 March 2010 - 02:15 PM

Well, the FCC tried to close the loophole, the problem is they really don't have that power (they can't make up their own laws, they are only supposed to enforce existing laws). If the FCC tries to force them Comcast/Cablevision will take it to court and it will get thrown out. What needs to happen is there needs to be a new law passed that gets rid of the loophole.

#59 OFFLINE   avonabudget

avonabudget

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 39 posts
  • LocationSouth Jersey

Posted 16 March 2010 - 02:29 PM

Once Comcast finally loses the court battle, they'll switch all of the Sports Prgramming (Flyers, Sixers, and Phillies) from CSN Philly over to TCN. Just conjecture on my part.

#60 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,431 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 16 March 2010 - 03:05 PM

Remember that just says they have to offer them at "Comparable rates". IT doesn't really say comparable to whom, and it doesn't say that they can't restrict what requirements they can put on the channels, etc. It also doesn't say that they others have to accept the offer.

I could very easily see this turning into another VS fiasco with Comcast telling D* they can't put it in the sports pack, and trying to charge more than D* thinks it is worth.

For the people in the affected areas and the affected fans I wish you the best of luck though.

Except there is a TON of precedence on the pricing for RSNs. And the packaging of them. Including Comcast RSNs on DirecTV. Basically included in most packages for local RSN and in SportsPak for out of market with pro games in their respective packages.
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

spam firewall