Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
* * * * - 1 votes

Comcast Philadelphia

• Please log in to reply
2392 replies to this topic

#601 OFFLINE   edgo41

edgo41

AllStar

• Registered
  • 65 posts

Posted 28 November 2010 - 08:02 PM

punch in your zipcode here: http://www.directv.c...ssetId=P3000004

does the nationals and orioles show up? if it does...ill let you know where i am going with this.

I put in 19803 (Wilmington, DE) and got MASN. What is up?

With DirecTv since 1997

H24-700

h25-700
HR21-100
HR20-700

HR34

C31

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#602 OFFLINE   n3ntj

n3ntj

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,717 posts
  • LocationLancaster, PA area

Posted 28 November 2010 - 08:03 PM

That is correct. You should get MASN for that location and CSN DC.

HD Snob - "Friends Don't Let Friends Watch Cable".
Electrical/RF Engineer & Inspector
DirecTV Equipment: HR24-200 (2), 5LNB Slimline, AM21, SWiM 8 installed (MRV), Cinema Kit (Wifi connection)
Configuration: Native OFF. Units OFF when not in use.
TVs: 2 Panasonic Plasma TV's each using HDMI (one 1080p/one 720p)
DirecTV customer since 1998. Plus HD DVR package w/ NHL Center Ice & MLB Extra Innings.
OTA Antenna: Homebrew UHF & VHF antennas w/ 30dB amplifier fed w/ RG-6 Quad-shield coax.

#603 OFFLINE   psuscott0483

psuscott0483

Godfather

• Registered
  • 333 posts

Posted 29 November 2010 - 08:27 AM

Here's what I get:
"The 19425 ZIP Code is not in any team's home territory. "

myself and a few others have learned if you have an rsn in place for a sport, and you buy the sports package, you can watch csn philly. (if the orioles/nationals are your rsn for baseball, mlb ei will allow you to see csnphilly for phillies). its by no means "free" like having csnphilly as an rsn would be, but its cheaper than the alternative for those of us paying satellite and cable services for one channel.
DIRECTV since 2005
Premier Package + MRV + NHL Center Ice + NFL Sunday Ticket
HR34-700
HR24-500
H21-100
H23-600 x 3
H24-100 x 4
H25-500
Setup | Setup Diagram

#604 OFFLINE   edgo41

edgo41

AllStar

• Registered
  • 65 posts

Posted 29 November 2010 - 08:40 AM

myself and a few others have learned if you have an rsn in place for a sport, and you buy the sports package, you can watch csn philly. (if the orioles/nationals are your rsn for baseball, mlb ei will allow you to see csnphilly for phillies). its by no means "free" like having csnphilly as an rsn would be, but its cheaper than the alternative for those of us paying satellite and cable services for one channel.

I thought that because my zip code (19803) is supposed to be CSN Philly that I would be blacked out for MLB EI. Does anyone know if that is true? Have the rules changed? I would pick it up in a minute if I would be able to see the Phillies games.

With DirecTv since 1997

H24-700

h25-700
HR21-100
HR20-700

HR34

C31

#605 ONLINE   fireponcoal

fireponcoal

Icon

• Registered
  • 725 posts

Posted 29 November 2010 - 08:56 AM

I thought that because my zip code (19803) is supposed to be CSN Philly that I would be blacked out for MLB EI. Does anyone know if that is true? Have the rules changed? I would pick it up in a minute if I would be able to see the Phillies games.

you would get the philadelphia phillies games in one form or another with the extra innings because masn games are blacked out in your coverage area. you would never get to see Nats games and would be out of luck when the phillies play them.. not a great loss really. i wonder if this works with nhl center ice as well?

Edited by fireponcoal, 29 November 2010 - 09:20 AM.

#606 OFFLINE   edgo41

edgo41

AllStar

• Registered
  • 65 posts

Posted 29 November 2010 - 09:46 AM

you would get the philadelphia phillies games in one form or another with the extra innings because masn games are blacked out in your coverage area. you would never get to see Nats games and would be out of luck when the phillies play them.. not a great loss really. i wonder if this works with nhl center ice as well?

Don't know. I know I can't get Cap games which I cannot understand. My zip code only gives me MASN and not CSN Mid-Atlantic which I cannot figure out either. Anyone have any answers?

With DirecTv since 1997

H24-700

h25-700
HR21-100
HR20-700

HR34

C31

#607 OFFLINE   wilbur_the_goose

wilbur_the_goose

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,419 posts

Posted 29 November 2010 - 11:47 AM

pscuscott - Since I'm in a "RSN Desert" (no RSN available), your technique won't work - correct?

#608 OFFLINE   psuscott0483

psuscott0483

Godfather

• Registered
  • 333 posts

Posted 29 November 2010 - 12:28 PM

i do not have an nba or nhl rsn so i cannot verify it works for those, but the same logic should apply. if you have an rsn, then you would be able to watch csn philly through the sports package of your choice. this works for baseball for myself and a few others have also verified.

wilbur_the_goose - sorry but i think you are out of luck
DIRECTV since 2005
HR34-700
HR24-500
H21-100
H23-600 x 3
H24-100 x 4
H25-500
Setup | Setup Diagram

#609 OFFLINE   psuscott0483

psuscott0483

Godfather

• Registered
  • 333 posts

Posted 29 November 2010 - 12:30 PM

your zip pulls up the same as mine, nationals and orioles on 640 + 641. you would watch baseball on those channels for those teams and then phillies would be on mlb extra innings in the 700s. IF the phillies play the nationals or orioles you would need to watch on 640 or 641 for that game.
DIRECTV since 2005
HR34-700
HR24-500
H21-100
H23-600 x 3
H24-100 x 4
H25-500
Setup | Setup Diagram

#610 OFFLINE   edgo41

edgo41

AllStar

• Registered
  • 65 posts

Posted 29 November 2010 - 02:52 PM

your zip pulls up the same as mine, nationals and orioles on 640 + 641. you would watch baseball on those channels for those teams and then phillies would be on mlb extra innings in the 700s. IF the phillies play the nationals or orioles you would need to watch on 640 or 641 for that game.

Thanks, I appreciate it.

With DirecTv since 1997

H24-700

h25-700
HR21-100
HR20-700

HR34

C31

#611 OFFLINE   n3ntj

n3ntj

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,717 posts

Posted 29 November 2010 - 03:39 PM

Don't know. I know I can't get Cap games which I cannot understand. My zip code only gives me MASN and not CSN Mid-Atlantic which I cannot figure out either. Anyone have any answers?

That is weird because I thought the MASN and CSN DC footprints were pretty identical. Being in DE, you were only a very short distance from DC itself. Calling D* won't really help as they won't have any idea why you can't get CSN DC, they'd just say 'we have to follow blackout rules', even if they don't know what they really are.

All I can think of is calling CSN DC and asking if your zip code should be within their territory. If it is, possibly they could get involved with D* to help you out, if indeed an error has been made.

DirecTV Equipment: HR24-200 (2), 5LNB Slimline, AM21, SWiM 8 installed (MRV), Cinema Kit (Wifi connection)
DirecTV customer since 1998. Plus HD DVR package w/ NHL Center Ice & MLB Extra Innings.
OTA Antenna: Homebrew UHF & VHF antennas w/ 30dB amplifier fed w/ RG-6 Quad-shield coax.

#612 OFFLINE   JoeTheDragon

JoeTheDragon

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,250 posts

Posted 29 November 2010 - 03:54 PM

That is weird because I thought the MASN and CSN DC footprints were pretty identical. Being in DE, you were only a very short distance from DC itself. Calling D* won't really help as they won't have any idea why you can't get CSN DC, they'd just say 'we have to follow blackout rules', even if they don't know what they really are.

All I can think of is calling CSN DC and asking if your zip code should be within their territory. If it is, possibly they could get involved with D* to help you out, if indeed an error has been made.

Part of has to league rules.

In parts of WI you can get FS North / FSN WI and CSN CHI but can't see the bulls games on CSN. But you can get the bulls games on WGN (OTA) and WCIU.
I want CLTV / CLTV HD on direct tv.

#613 OFFLINE   hbg ota nut

hbg ota nut

AllStar

• Registered
  • 89 posts

Posted 10 December 2010 - 01:14 PM

Thanks, I appreciate it.

Found this on CSN - Philly's Wikipedia page...

"Phillies games
Phillies games used to be unavailable on the satellite version of MLB Extra Innings. Beginning in 2007, both the cable and satellite version of MLB Extra Innings began to use the CSN Philadelphia feed for some games and in 2008, when MLB Extra Innings began showing both feeds of most games, all Phillies games shown on CSN Philadelphia became available to all subscribers. In 2010, Phillies games on WPHL (which are produced by CSN Philadelphia) were also shown on Extra Innings"

Looks like even if your only RSN would be Philly, you can still get the games by subscribing (note the section "all Phillies games available to all subscribers"

Can someone in Philly confirm?

#614 OFFLINE   dvdmth

dvdmth

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,030 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 10 December 2010 - 02:04 PM

Found this on CSN - Philly's Wikipedia page...

"Phillies games
Phillies games used to be unavailable on the satellite version of MLB Extra Innings. Beginning in 2007, both the cable and satellite version of MLB Extra Innings began to use the CSN Philadelphia feed for some games and in 2008, when MLB Extra Innings began showing both feeds of most games, all Phillies games shown on CSN Philadelphia became available to all subscribers. In 2010, Phillies games on WPHL (which are produced by CSN Philadelphia) were also shown on Extra Innings"

Looks like even if your only RSN would be Philly, you can still get the games by subscribing (note the section "all Phillies games available to all subscribers"

Can someone in Philly confirm?

Bad wording. ALL MLB Extra Innings games are out-of-market ONLY. The MLB is strict on this point. If you are in a team's broadcast territory, the package will deliver ZERO games featuring that team, even if the team's own broadcasts are unavailable. CSN Philly's wording is misleading here since it implies no blackout restrictions, which is 100% false.

#615 OFFLINE   n3ntj

n3ntj

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,717 posts

Posted 10 December 2010 - 04:14 PM

I am within what the Phillies would call their home market but not actually in Philly proper. I am closer to Harrisburg. I get the CSN Philly HD games on MLB EI and can't recall seeing any blacked out this year, although I don't watch that many, as I am not a Phillies fan.

I would suspect that MLB EI subs (on non-CSN Philly systems) living closer to Philly may get the CSN Philly feeds blacked out, even though this makes no sense as D* subs could get that channel no other way.

#616 OFFLINE   wilbur_the_goose

wilbur_the_goose

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,419 posts

Posted 11 December 2010 - 06:43 AM

I live 40 miles west of Philly, and I'm blacked out from all Philly sports that are on CSN-Philly.

I'm starting to get this nasty feeling that this won't ever happen. The new congress will possibly be much more Comcast friendly than this one.

#617 OFFLINE   hbg ota nut

hbg ota nut

AllStar

• Registered
  • 89 posts

Posted 11 December 2010 - 08:25 AM

I live 40 miles west of Philly, and I'm blacked out from all Philly sports that are on CSN-Philly.

I'm starting to get this nasty feeling that this won't ever happen. The new congress will possibly be much more Comcast friendly than this one.

Do you subscribe to MLB ei?

#618 OFFLINE   patman99

patman99

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 29 posts

Posted 14 December 2010 - 03:43 PM

Bad wording. ALL MLB Extra Innings games are out-of-market ONLY. The MLB is strict on this point. If you are in a team's broadcast territory, the package will deliver ZERO games featuring that team, even if the team's own broadcasts are unavailable. CSN Philly's wording is misleading here since it implies no blackout restrictions, which is 100% false.

You are absolutely correct. I live in Wilmington, DE and the only way to see the Phillies play is on the EI Game Mix channel or when the Phillies play the Nat's (MASN or MASN2). The actual Phillies broadcast is blacked out on the EI channels.

#619 OFFLINE   psuscott0483

psuscott0483

Godfather

• Registered
  • 333 posts

Posted 15 December 2010 - 08:25 AM

i am 45min north of philly, which i would assume is within the broadcast territory. masn is my rsn per directv, therefor csnphilly feeds show up on mlb ei for me. i can 1000% confirm this.

on another note, i found this comical and some of you may too- i broke down recently and signed up for cable tv in addition to dtv so that i can get flyers and sixers games. the local cable company is service electric, i cannot get comcast in my area. apparently tonight's flyers game is on some overflow channel called tcn, which service electric does not get, im told you have to have comcast to get the tcn channel....lol what a joke.
DIRECTV since 2005
HR34-700
HR24-500
H21-100
H23-600 x 3
H24-100 x 4
H25-500
Setup | Setup Diagram

#620 OFFLINE   wilbur_the_goose

wilbur_the_goose

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,419 posts

Posted 15 December 2010 - 10:45 AM

It was on Versus last night.

I'm in Chester County, and D* indicates that I don't have a valid RSN for my area.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...