Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
* * * * - 1 votes

Comcast Philadelphia

• Please log in to reply
2392 replies to this topic

#621 OFFLINE   wilbur_the_goose

wilbur_the_goose

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,418 posts

Posted 15 December 2010 - 10:47 AM

Do you subscribe to MLB ei?

Yes. All Phillies games are blacked out from MLBEI channels in my zip code in Chester County.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#622 OFFLINE   psuscott0483

psuscott0483

Godfather

• Registered
  • 333 posts

Posted 15 December 2010 - 12:25 PM

It was on Versus last night.

I'm in Chester County, and D* indicates that I don't have a valid RSN for my area.

yea versus had national exclusive window last night for the flyers.

Yes. All Phillies games are blacked out from MLBEI channels in my zip code in Chester County.

this is because of the reason above, you have no rsn, so it cant be tricked into thinking the nationals are your hometown team like me.
DIRECTV since 2005
Premier Package + MRV + NHL Center Ice + NFL Sunday Ticket
HR34-700
HR24-500
H21-100
H23-600 x 3
H24-100 x 4
H25-500
Setup | Setup Diagram

#623 OFFLINE   oldengineer

oldengineer

Godfather

• Registered
  • 455 posts

Posted 15 December 2010 - 06:22 PM

i am 45min north of philly, which i would assume is within the broadcast territory. masn is my rsn per directv, therefor csnphilly feeds show up on mlb ei for me. i can 1000% confirm this.

on another note, i found this comical and some of you may too- i broke down recently and signed up for cable tv in addition to dtv so that i can get flyers and sixers games. the local cable company is service electric, i cannot get comcast in my area. apparently tonight's flyers game is on some overflow channel called tcn, which service electric does not get, im told you have to have comcast to get the tcn channel....lol what a joke.

I hope you see this in time. I also have SECTV. Tonight's Flyers-Canadiens game is on TCN the Comcast Network. I have extended basic and get this channel at 76.2 off of the cable with a QAM tuner. Its only an SD channel so hockey is degraded. 10 minutes till faceoff.

2H/1J

#624 OFFLINE   adkinsjm

adkinsjm

Icon

• Registered
  • 914 posts

Posted 16 December 2010 - 12:22 AM

I hope you see this in time. I also have SECTV. Tonight's Flyers-Canadiens game is on TCN the Comcast Network. I have extended basic and get this channel at 76.2 off of the cable with a QAM tuner. Its only an SD channel so hockey is degraded. 10 minutes till faceoff.

There are three companies that use the Service Electric name, all with different lineups. The companies are owned by the kids of the founder of the original Service Electric company.

#625 OFFLINE   la24philly

la24philly

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,708 posts

Posted 19 December 2010 - 01:06 PM

wil april is almost here and i will be relocating to tampa bay FL for work. Finally i won't have to pay for both directv and comcast. I will be freed from this prison tv market. Sure I'll have to have the sports packages but atleast I won't be blacked out.

#626 OFFLINE   n3ntj

n3ntj

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,717 posts
  • LocationLancaster, PA area

Posted 19 December 2010 - 02:55 PM

Who or what is "wil april"?

HD Snob - "Friends Don't Let Friends Watch Cable".
Electrical/RF Engineer & Inspector
DirecTV Equipment: HR24-200 (2), 5LNB Slimline, AM21, SWiM 8 installed (MRV), Cinema Kit (Wifi connection)
Configuration: Native OFF. Units OFF when not in use.
TVs: 2 Panasonic Plasma TV's each using HDMI (one 1080p/one 720p)
DirecTV customer since 1998. Plus HD DVR package w/ NHL Center Ice & MLB Extra Innings.
OTA Antenna: Homebrew UHF & VHF antennas w/ 30dB amplifier fed w/ RG-6 Quad-shield coax.

#627 OFFLINE   wilbur_the_goose

wilbur_the_goose

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,418 posts

Posted 19 December 2010 - 03:45 PM

Let me tell you - with the new Phillies rotation, it's going to be a lot tougher explaining why we can't watch the Phils to my baseball-rabid wife. She's already started shopping for a D* alternative come April.

#628 OFFLINE   scoop8

scoop8

Godfather

• Registered
  • 482 posts
  • LocationDallas TX

Posted 19 December 2010 - 05:00 PM

wil april is almost here and i will be relocating to tampa bay FL for work. Finally i won't have to pay for both directv and comcast. I will be freed from this prison tv market. Sure I'll have to have the sports packages but atleast I won't be blacked out.

That's great news! As one outside the Philly mkt (Dallas), what you guys have had to deal with from comcast is disgraceful, with the programmer owner witholding their feeds from the satt providers. It's riduculous that as a satt subs, the only solution is to move away from the Philly mkt area.

Let me tell you - with the new Phillies rotation, it's going to be a lot tougher explaining why we can't watch the Phils to my baseball-rabid wife. She's already started shopping for a D* alternative come April.

Rotation indeed. As a Rangers fan, you all are looking great for next year. No sour grapes here ;), without Lee we'd not have gotten to the Series. I take a little consolation that we were in the final 2 choices for the prize and Lee was quoted as enjoying his stay down here.
DirecTV Subs since '99 - Currently out of contract
Prog Svc: DTV Premier Pkg, NFL ST, MLB EI, CI
Dish: Slimline 5LNB
Receivers: HD-DVR HR22-100, HD H23-600
Display: PANNY Plasma TH50PZ85U
DVD Player: Std Upconvert Region-Free Pioneer DV-400V

#629 OFFLINE   la24philly

la24philly

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,708 posts

Posted 20 December 2010 - 11:33 AM

just remember sccop we had lee first last year and never wanted to leave but it worked out we got te 2 roys.

Wil the wife, could check comcast. I had both directv and comcast.

Basically i had 1 tv and the cheapest pacakage with HD for basically 2 channels

Yup 40 bucks a month for 2 channel CSN and TCN

I have directv for everything else.

Moving to tampa Im happy I can dump comcast and just have 1 provider finally.

It will be funny watch the day I leave is the day CSN is avaliable lol

either way 28 years of putting up with this im glad its almost over

#630 OFFLINE   wilbur_the_goose

wilbur_the_goose

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,418 posts

Posted 20 December 2010 - 12:09 PM

(post removed)

#631 OFFLINE   MonyMony

MonyMony

Legend

• Registered
  • 132 posts

Posted 21 December 2010 - 07:31 AM

This stupidity cannot end soon enough. As a new resident of Cecil County Maryland I was surprised to learn that am close enough to get into this mess. The best part is, my DMA is still Baltimore, my RSN is CSN Mid Atlantic, but yet I get blacked out of Philly Sports. To make matters worse, not only is CSN Philly not available on satellite, it is not even available on the local Comcast system here (they only carry CSN Mid Atlantic). So bottom line is there is no option to get Philadelphia sports if you live in Cecil county. Thanks Comcast!

Edited by MonyMony, 21 December 2010 - 07:46 AM.

#632 OFFLINE   psuscott0483

psuscott0483

Godfather

• Registered
  • 333 posts

Posted 21 December 2010 - 09:12 AM

This stupidity cannot end soon enough. As a new resident of Cecil County Maryland I was surprised to learn that am close enough to get into this mess. The best part is, my DMA is still Baltimore, my RSN is CSN Mid Atlantic, but yet I get blacked out of Philly Sports. To make matters worse, not only is CSN Philly not available on satellite, it is not even available on the local Comcast system here (they only carry CSN Mid Atlantic). So bottom line is there is no option to get Philadelphia sports if you live in Cecil county. Thanks Comcast!

csn washington covers the wizards and capitals right? which sport did you want to watch in philly? you can buy the sports package. sure, it is not cheap, but there are options.
DIRECTV since 2005
HR34-700
HR24-500
H21-100
H23-600 x 3
H24-100 x 4
H25-500
Setup | Setup Diagram

#633 OFFLINE   la24philly

la24philly

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,708 posts

Posted 21 December 2010 - 09:46 AM

whats your zip code in cecil MD. I did a little resarch based on 2 zipcodes 21901 cecil md and 21921 elkton MD, just b4 you get to delaware. Directv Site says your in the Baltimore MD market.

here is the local channels link http://www.directv.c...requestid=45072

here is your local sports channel link http://www.directv.c...assetId=3450006

the 2 links above represent all the local channels that you will get and not be blacked out of.

I also ran those zip on mlb blackout page.

http://www.mlb.com/m...ns/blackout.jsp i used 21901

The below-listed Club(s) is within the searched home television territory, and MLB.TV is subject to blackout for all regular season live games for these Club(s):
•Washington Nationals
•Baltimore Orioles

Approximate Zip Code: 21901

As you can see the Phillies are not in this televised territory.

You are not in the Philadelphia market.

If you want to watch the philly teams you need MLB EI for phillies NHLCI FLYERS NBALP sixers NFL ST eagles

now if you have the sports packs and you are still getting blacked out then you need to call Directv and have them fix it.

Edited by la24philly, 21 December 2010 - 09:55 AM.

#634 OFFLINE   HarryD

HarryD

Icon

• Registered
  • 597 posts
  • LocationLehigh Valley, PA

Posted 21 December 2010 - 09:47 AM

At least you get CSN Mid-Altlantic, up here we get nothing... zippo...nada. :nono2:
HarryD

#635 OFFLINE   MonyMony

MonyMony

Legend

• Registered
  • 132 posts

Posted 21 December 2010 - 06:19 PM

whats your zip code in cecil MD. I did a little resarch based on 2 zipcodes 21901 cecil md and 21921 elkton MD, just b4 you get to delaware. Directv Site says your in the Baltimore MD market.

here is the local channels link http://www.directv.c...requestid=45072

here is your local sports channel link http://www.directv.c...assetId=3450006

the 2 links above represent all the local channels that you will get and not be blacked out of.

I also ran those zip on mlb blackout page.

http://www.mlb.com/m...ns/blackout.jsp i used 21901

The below-listed Club(s) is within the searched home television territory, and MLB.TV is subject to blackout for all regular season live games for these Club(s):
•Washington Nationals
•Baltimore Orioles

Approximate Zip Code: 21901

As you can see the Phillies are not in this televised territory.

You are not in the Philadelphia market.

If you want to watch the philly teams you need MLB EI for phillies NHLCI FLYERS NBALP sixers NFL ST eagles

now if you have the sports packs and you are still getting blacked out then you need to call Directv and have them fix it.

I am in the 21921 zip code. I agree I should not in the Philly market. My problem is with the NHL Center Ice and NHL network. All Philly games are blacked out for me. What makes less sense is the teams that are playing against Washington (which is shown on my RSN) are not blacked out. I even contacted the NHL and got this gem of a response:

Thank you for your email. There are many factors that determine a teams local television market, distance is not the only factor. In some instances, teams outer markets can overlap which will place people in more than one teams local television market. A teams television market can also cover the entire state or a number of states as well.

In your case you, based upon the zip code, you are located in the Philadelphia Flyers local television market; therefore, you will be blacked out of these games in NHL Center Ice. In addition, you will be blacked out of these games on the NHL Network.

You will see their games on Comcast Sports Net - Philadelphia.

At this time DirecTV does not have a carriage deal with Comcast Sports Net Philadelphia. Unfortunately, if this network is not available on your current provider, you will still be blacked out because you are in the local market and this network is available in your area.

In addition, cable and satellite blackouts can differ for NHL Center Ice. Satellite has the capabilities to blackout specifically by zip codes. Cable systems must use the zip code of the head end (the system that feeds a number of areas and zip codes simultaneously) as the zip code to determine what team(s) blackout it will be in. Based on your description, it seems that the head end feeding your system is only located in the Washington Capitals television territory.

Thanks,
NHL TV

Great circular logic, huh! Fortunately for me it only affects me when the team I follow plays Philadelphia a few times. I really feel for those around me here that try to be Flyers fans as Comcast pretty much makes it impossible to see any games, regardless if you have satellite or Comcast cable. I am going to try calling Directv but pretty much figure that is hopeless.

#636 OFFLINE   la24philly

la24philly

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,708 posts

Posted 21 December 2010 - 08:20 PM

you shoud reply to that nhl site 1 more time and say comcast doesnt offer csn philadelphia in your area if you had cable so what ask them what to do

#637 OFFLINE   jeepwrang3

jeepwrang3

Legend

• Registered
  • 137 posts

Posted 22 December 2010 - 07:37 AM

MonyMony, i was in the same exact boat. I had moved from DE over to Elkton 5 years ago. We wanted DTV or DISH because HD wasnt offered on the local Comcast. Heck they still dont have HD i think. The first year VS games were shown, until the Flyers got into the playoffs, where "Outdoor Network" was told to black out the games. Since then they've all been blocked. In my multiple contacts with a Flyers official, he found out that there was a 100 mile supposed line(from the Wells Fargo Center) where you are considered in the Flyers Market. They couldnt find me a resolution even after i explained that the Comcast provider in that market doesnt even offer CSNPhilly.

It stinks, there are work arounds, but none that can be discussed here. Just do some google searching.

Definitely try to reach out though to anyone you can, its a problem that maybe more voices could help get the word out. I'm in the process of moving down to zip code 21901, but far out there in North East at Turkey Point, and i'm curious if that will still fall under the blackout guise, but i wont really find out until we get moved in an setup with DTV
Long time Lurker, first time poster :nono2:

#638 OFFLINE   psuscott0483

psuscott0483

Godfather

• Registered
  • 333 posts

Posted 22 December 2010 - 08:18 AM

I am in the 21921 zip code. I agree I should not in the Philly market. My problem is with the NHL Center Ice and NHL network. All Philly games are blacked out for me

Mid-Atlantic Sports Network HD (Ch. 640) - HD Available
■Nationals (HD Available)
■Orioles (HD Available)

Comcast SportsNet Mid-Atlantic HD (Ch. 642) - HD Available
■Washington Capitals (HD Available)
■Washington Wizards (HD Available)

based on this info, if you add sportspack to watch above teams when they are on the regional channels, and then adding mlbei for baseball you SHOULD be able to watch phillies, nhl ci for fllyers hockey nba lp for sixers bball. however, i dont think csn philly shares their flyers feed with center ice, so you have to resort to the opposing team feed (if there is one) which may be the case for basketball as well. the phillies do, but that may because comcast does not own 100% of the team like hockey and bball.
DIRECTV since 2005
HR34-700
HR24-500
H21-100
H23-600 x 3
H24-100 x 4
H25-500
Setup | Setup Diagram

#639 OFFLINE   1kyardstare

1kyardstare

AllStar

• Registered
  • 72 posts

Posted 22 December 2010 - 03:16 PM

This is really nothing new. But I sure hope the approval of this merger will start the ball rolling in a big way to get CSN Sporstnet (Philly and other Markets) on to DirecTV.

Part of the article mentions this: "The FCC may require Comcast to share programming with online video companies, and submit to limits on withholding cable channels from pay-TV competitors such as DirecTV and AT&T Inc., Paul Gallant, a Washington-based analyst with MF Global, said in a Dec. 20 note to investors."

Full Article Here: http://www.bloomberg...ory-review.html

Hopefully the merger will at least provide a "reasonable" time table for CSN Sportsnet to DirecTV. By Reasonable I mean ASAP or at least by the beginning of Baseball Season (Roy, Roy, Cole, Cliff, and Stiff)

#640 OFFLINE   jrodfoo

jrodfoo

Godfather

• Registered
  • 458 posts

Posted 22 December 2010 - 04:21 PM

Boy that sure would be nice.. I'll believe it when I see it. They probably have to go thru a carriage agreement deal then and that would probably take forever too...

Protected By... spam firewall...And...