Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
* * * * - 1 votes

Comcast Philadelphia

• Please log in to reply
2392 replies to this topic

#741 OFFLINE   Jaspear

Jaspear

Godfather

• Registered
  • 422 posts

Posted 19 January 2011 - 12:16 PM

"On a conference call with reporters Tuesday, Comcast executive vice president David Cohen said the conditions and commitments on program access and carriage, including online, and on network neutrality had been expected and had been crafted in such a way to allow the company to operate and grow its business, suggesting the access and carriage conditions did not break new ground, extend broadly into the online space, or require the company to make all its content available to anyone who asked for it."

http://www.multichan...al_Approval.php

Straight from the top: "carriage conditions DID NOT... ..require the company to make all its content available to anyone who asked for it"

The word "suggesting" is key in the above paragraph. Everything after that word is the opinion of the guy who wrote the article, not a direct statement from David Cohen.
"A proof is a proof. What kind of a proof? It's a proof. A proof is a proof. And when you have a good proof, it's because it's proven."

Jean Chrétien, Prime Minister of Canada, 1993 - 2003.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#742 OFFLINE   wilbur_the_goose

wilbur_the_goose

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,418 posts

Posted 19 January 2011 - 01:08 PM

I want to stress this quote from a Comcast spokesperson:
"Comcast's Sena Fitzmaurice didn't give any ground. "It is not a condition in the transaction. We continue discussions with the satellite providers," she said via e-mail.""

Her blog: http://blog.comcast....na-fitzmaurice/

#743 OFFLINE   jpl

jpl

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,773 posts

Posted 19 January 2011 - 01:35 PM

I got the sense that the FCC was waiting for any pending litigation to get resolved before taking action on the loophole. As for the merger deal - I don't think one has anything to do with the other. That is, I don't believe there was any condition in the merger saying that Comcast had to cough over CSN Philly.

I also got the sense that Verizon lit a fire under the FCC, urging them to move on this.

My point was that what CV is arguing seems, to me, to be shaky at best. Mainly because, if you read the brief submitted by Verizon, they used DBS penetration as their justification for elimination of the loophole. They argued that they were being hurt, financially, by not having MSG HD. And that companies like DirecTV were being hurt financially by not having CSN Philly. The FCC bought that argument.

Now, if having exclusive (or semi-exclusive) control of a channel doesn't constitute an uncompetitive business practice... then how is it that these providers were hurt financially by NOT having those channels. In point of fact, it appears that the FCC, in agreeing with Verizon, is saying that companies like CV are engaging in uncompetitive business practices. The fact that CV chose this route is what I found interesting. I have a hard time believing any judge would look at the arrangement and say 'yep... nothing unfair going on here!' No doubt CV will argue that their arrangement doesn't fall under the specifics of the law that they cite, and therefore the law isn't applicable in their case. Again, I have a real hard time buying their argument - and I don't see a judge swallowing it either.

Hopefully my sense of the matter (that the FCC is waiting for pending litigation to get resolved before moving on the matter) is correct. If that's the case, then once this litigation gets put to bed, things should move fairly quickly.

#744 OFFLINE   n3ntj

n3ntj

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,717 posts
  • LocationLancaster, PA area

Posted 19 January 2011 - 02:53 PM

All I can say is, "we'll see".

HD Snob - "Friends Don't Let Friends Watch Cable".
Electrical/RF Engineer & Inspector
DirecTV Equipment: HR24-200 (2), 5LNB Slimline, AM21, SWiM 8 installed (MRV), Cinema Kit (Wifi connection)
Configuration: Native OFF. Units OFF when not in use.
TVs: 2 Panasonic Plasma TV's each using HDMI (one 1080p/one 720p)
DirecTV customer since 1998. Plus HD DVR package w/ NHL Center Ice & MLB Extra Innings.
OTA Antenna: Homebrew UHF & VHF antennas w/ 30dB amplifier fed w/ RG-6 Quad-shield coax.

#745 OFFLINE   bosco10021

bosco10021

Icon

• Registered
  • 514 posts

Posted 19 January 2011 - 03:49 PM

The FCC approved the Comcast NBC-Universal deal with the proviso that the cable giant distribute its long monopolized "Comcast SportsNet" to satellite providers. That means subscribers to DirecTV and DISH Network will at long last get to watch the Flyers, Sixers, and Phillies on the sports network.

http://www.newsworks...cast-sportsnet/

#746 OFFLINE   wilbur_the_goose

wilbur_the_goose

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,418 posts

Posted 19 January 2011 - 03:52 PM

^^^
bosco, that may well be the case, but Comcast has said over and over that they'll not comply.

#747 OFFLINE   cypherx

cypherx

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,961 posts
  • LocationPA - Berks County

Posted 19 January 2011 - 04:51 PM

This is interesting, straight from David Cohen himself.

http://blog.comcast....-universal.html

Treating Competing Multichannel Video Programming Distributors (MVPDs) Fairly: Comcast and NBC Universal have successful and mutually satisfactory working relationships with MVPDs, whose support we rely on to reach the majority of American homes with our content. Building on this good working relationship and the successful operation of the FCC's program access rules, an improved arbitration mechanism will be available to adjudicate disputes relating to all Comcast and NBC Universal programming under the existing FCC program access rules.

But does that mean anything for CSN Philly?

#748 OFFLINE   Grafixguy

Grafixguy

Godfather

• Registered
  • 387 posts

Posted 20 January 2011 - 08:04 AM

This is interesting, straight from David Cohen himself.

http://blog.comcast....-universal.html

But does that mean anything for CSN Philly?

That blog accepts comments. I just left one and suggest anyone else interested in this do the same.

Here's mine, which is awaiting approval:

Plain and simple. What does this mean to the sports fans who have DirecTV or Dish and want to see CSN Philly programming? I will not, for one second, believe that this merger is in the public interest until I see Comcast fairly negotiate a carriage deal with the satellite providers for both SD and HD versions of all CSN Philly and TCN live sports programming.

#749 OFFLINE   wilbur_the_goose

wilbur_the_goose

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,418 posts

Posted 20 January 2011 - 08:07 AM

Grafixguy - they won't show up. I posted a similar comment yesterday and it wasn't put up on-line.

#750 OFFLINE   Grafixguy

Grafixguy

Godfather

• Registered
  • 387 posts

Posted 20 January 2011 - 08:11 AM

Grafixguy - they won't show up. I posted a similar comment yesterday and it wasn't put up on-line.

Then I suppose that gives you an idea of just how consumer friendly this move is, doesn't it?

#751 OFFLINE   Grafixguy

Grafixguy

Godfather

• Registered
  • 387 posts

Posted 20 January 2011 - 10:18 AM

Comments have been approved and are now posted.

#752 OFFLINE   hbg ota nut

hbg ota nut

AllStar

• Registered
  • 89 posts

Posted 20 January 2011 - 10:35 AM

Comments have been approved and are now posted.

Countdown to a canned response with no answers begins.

#753 OFFLINE   George_T

George_T

Legend

• Registered
  • 293 posts

Posted 20 January 2011 - 03:42 PM

Mine got posted as well. The issue isn't one of Comcrap negotiating w/satellite providers -- they have weakly argued for a while that they are in negotiations w/DirecTV and Dish Network. The real question is whether the carriage agreements will be FINALIZED, and at a reasonable, fair retransmission fee. Comcrap has delayed for long enough -- now is the time for action, or there will be resulting lawsuits.

#754 OFFLINE   Peter305

Peter305

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,190 posts

Posted 20 January 2011 - 03:46 PM

Mine got posted as well. The issue isn't one of Comcrap negotiating w/satellite providers -- they have weakly argued for a while that they are in negotiations w/DirecTV and Dish Network. The real question is whether the carriage agreements will be FINALIZED, and at a reasonable, fair retransmission fee. Comcrap has delayed for long enough -- now is the time for action, or there will be resulting lawsuits.

Who would sue and on what grounds? If it's now down to dollars and cents there would be nothing to base a legal case on.

#755 OFFLINE   George_T

George_T

Legend

• Registered
  • 293 posts

Posted 20 January 2011 - 05:05 PM

The issue is that the FCC has revoked the transmission exception, and Comcrap still hasn't gotten their signal on satellite. If they keep delaying this through asking for outrageous retransmission fee agreements, they are treading on very thin water.

#756 OFFLINE   JoeTheDragon

JoeTheDragon

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,243 posts

Posted 20 January 2011 - 05:46 PM

The issue is that the FCC has revoked the transmission exception, and Comcrap still hasn't gotten their signal on satellite. If they keep delaying this through asking for outrageous retransmission fee agreements, they are treading on very thin water.

Not satellite they what do they use to send the Philly games to Csn Chicago for NHL extra?
I want CLTV / CLTV HD on direct tv.

#757 OFFLINE   sdk009

sdk009

Icon

• Registered
  • 688 posts
  • LocationStanislaus County Farmland

Posted 20 January 2011 - 06:36 PM

Not satellite they what do they use to send the Philly games to Csn Chicago for NHL extra?

I asked the same question earlier about those same games being carried by CSNBA

#758 OFFLINE   Peter305

Peter305

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,190 posts

Posted 21 January 2011 - 10:35 AM

I understand about the FCC ruling but my point is that while Comcast can't withhold their signal from DirecTV or Dish, they don't have to strike a deal with either company.

They can still ask for more money that Dish or DirecTV are willing to spend, so that those of us in the Philly market are still left out in the cold. All I'm saying is that this is now a matter of dollars and cents and since the dollar rules, I don't see what the basis for a legal case would be.

#759 OFFLINE   Grafixguy

Grafixguy

Godfather

• Registered
  • 387 posts

Posted 21 January 2011 - 11:01 AM

I understand about the FCC ruling but my point is that while Comcast can't withhold their signal from DirecTV or Dish, they don't have to strike a deal with either company.

They can still ask for more money that Dish or DirecTV are willing to spend, so that those of us in the Philly market are still left out in the cold. All I'm saying is that this is now a matter of dollars and cents and since the dollar rules, I don't see what the basis for a legal case would be.

They have to negotiate FAIRLY. That means that they can't simply charge DTV or Dish 5 times what they charge everyone else. As I've said before, I'll believe that this deal should have been approved IF I see CSN Philly available. Until then, the whole thing is big joke.

#760 OFFLINE   MrMars

MrMars

AllStar

• Registered
  • 93 posts

Posted 21 January 2011 - 11:27 AM

Fiber Optics. For the most part the CSNs are connected to each other via fiber. They don't have to use satellite to feed each other.

Alot of the CSN HD channels are still not on satellite that DirecTV carries, they are mostly delivered via fiber, CSN Chicago HD was not on satellite till about a year ago, Sportsnet NY HD just came out in the last few months. Bay Area/California/New England/Mid Atlantic HD are not on satellite either. so CSN Philly does not need to be put on satellite in order to get on DirecTV.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...