Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
* * * * - 1 votes

Comcast Philadelphia

• Please log in to reply
2383 replies to this topic

#761 OFFLINE   logray

logray

Godfather

• Registered
  • 367 posts

Posted 21 January 2011 - 11:35 AM

One of the merger stipulations was that Comcast must it's programming to other providers at reasonable costs.

My interpretation of the merger condition is that they shouldn't be able to go to Dish or DTV and say give me 5x what I'm charging my own customers for their programming.

I'm sure it will take time before we see this ruling "in practice".

We are in the same boat with CSNCA, Dish dropped the channel in November because Comcast was demanding Dish Network add the channel to all of it's subscribers (AT120) whether they wanted the + part or not... which sounds to me like it is unreasonable.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#762 OFFLINE   wilbur_the_goose

wilbur_the_goose

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,393 posts

Posted 21 January 2011 - 05:09 PM

I give it 2020.

But by that time, I'll be surprised if Comcast lets D* even get NBC at all.

#763 OFFLINE   1kyardstare

1kyardstare

AllStar

• Registered
  • 72 posts

Posted 24 January 2011 - 08:36 AM

From http://articles.phil...iversal-netflix

"...Regulators plainly could have gone to court to try to block the takeover, which Antitrust Division lawyers found would give Comcast "a potent tool that would allow it to disadvantage" its traditional rivals including satellite services and other cable and phone companies, and to stifle the emergence of the new breed of online video services such as Netflix.

Of course, Philadelphia sports fans don't need to speculate about how Comcast might use that kind of leverage. For years, many have complained bitterly about Comcast's refusal to share its Philadelphia SportsNet channel with DirecTV and Dish Network - a decision that the FCC estimates has depressed the satellite companies' market share in the Philadelphia region 40 percent. If FCC officials are right, the conditions the agency imposed last week on Comcast - including a new, fast-track arbitration process to settle program-access disputes - should finally lay that particular issue to rest, maybe even by baseball's All-Star break."

As usual we have a lot of "IFs" to see if this will happen. In my opinon My guess is that Comcast will eventualkly use nationwide CSNs to mount a challenge ESPN. If that would be the case we will then get CSN Philly not because of the FCC but to better their business position vs. ESPN.

Of course we shall see...not holding my breath...yada yada. Hopefully it will happen by mid 2011 or sooner!

#764 OFFLINE   JoeTheDragon

JoeTheDragon

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,193 posts

Posted 24 January 2011 - 08:44 AM

From http://articles.phil...iversal-netflix

"...Regulators plainly could have gone to court to try to block the takeover, which Antitrust Division lawyers found would give Comcast "a potent tool that would allow it to disadvantage" its traditional rivals including satellite services and other cable and phone companies, and to stifle the emergence of the new breed of online video services such as Netflix.

Of course, Philadelphia sports fans don't need to speculate about how Comcast might use that kind of leverage. For years, many have complained bitterly about Comcast's refusal to share its Philadelphia SportsNet channel with DirecTV and Dish Network - a decision that the FCC estimates has depressed the satellite companies' market share in the Philadelphia region 40 percent. If FCC officials are right, the conditions the agency imposed last week on Comcast - including a new, fast-track arbitration process to settle program-access disputes - should finally lay that particular issue to rest, maybe even by baseball's All-Star break."

As usual we have a lot of "IFs" to see if this will happen. In my opinon My guess is that Comcast will eventualkly use nationwide CSNs to mount a challenge ESPN. If that would be the case we will then get CSN Philly not because of the FCC but to better their business position vs. ESPN.

Of course we shall see...not holding my breath...yada yada. Hopefully it will happen by mid 2011 or sooner!

nationwide CSNs? why not call it comcast sports net one
I want CLTV / CLTV HD on direct tv.

#765 OFFLINE   garn9173

garn9173

Icon

• Registered
  • 518 posts

Posted 24 January 2011 - 09:32 AM

nationwide CSNs? why not call it comcast sports net one

With the Comcast/NBC merger complete, I think Comcast will utilize all of their regional RSN's as well as the resources of NBC Sports and rebrand VERSUS into some sort of a national Comcast SportsNet complete with a nightly highlight/sports news program.

Dish Network (February 2002-August 2005)
Mediacom (August 2005-1/27/07)
DirecTV (1/27-07 - 4/14)

Dish Network (4/14 - ??)  Hopper, Super Joey, and two Joey receivers.

#766 OFFLINE   spaul

spaul

Godfather

• Registered
  • 264 posts

Posted 24 January 2011 - 09:47 AM

So they might try and push a national network to complete with ESPN but, I don,t see how this keeps them from dragging their feet with Directv for the Phila. sports fan.Comcast is a joke owning both the Sixers & Flyers since they allow zero ota locally hopefully the day will come when they might sell the Sixers or & Flyers.

#767 OFFLINE   Peter305

Peter305

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,146 posts

Posted 24 January 2011 - 03:37 PM

hopefully the day will come when they might sell the Sixers or & Flyers.

....And why would they sell either team, especially if they are making money? With the Flyers looking like being contenders for the Stanley Cup this year the value of the franchise will only go up.

#768 OFFLINE   n3ntj

n3ntj

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 24 January 2011 - 05:00 PM

I saw that Comcrap released a statement stating that the merger approval and the language contained therein about providing channel access to competitors does not pertain to CSN Philly not being provided to D* and E*. The CEO specifically said that in his statement, that I read last week. I am sure D* can prove that their penetration into the Philly market suffers from not having CSN.
HD Snob - "Friends Don't Let Friends Watch Cable".
Electrical/RF Engineer & Inspector
DirecTV Equipment: HR24-200, HR24-100, 5LNB Slimline, AM21, SWiM 8 installed (MRV)
HR-2x Configuration: Native OFF. Units OFF when not in use.
TVs: 2 Panasonic Plasma TV's each using HDMI (one 1080p/one 720p)
DirecTV customer since 1998. Plus HD DVR package w/ NHL Center Ice & MLB Extra Innings.
OTA Antenna: Homebrew UHF & VHF antennas w/ 30dB amplifier fed w/ RG-6 Quad-shield coax.

#769 OFFLINE   icer44

icer44

• Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 24 January 2011 - 06:22 PM

I saw that Comcrap released a statement stating that the merger approval and the language contained therein about providing channel access to competitors does not pertain to CSN Philly not being provided to D* and E*. The CEO specifically said that in his statement, that I read last week. I am sure D* can prove that their penetration into the Philly market suffers from not having CSN.

I'm not sure how much more proving they need to do, this is actually pointed out in the FCC document approving the merger, page 17-18 has this quote:
(sorry, can't post URL, I havent' made 5 posts yet). It's Doc FCC-11-4 on the fcc website.

As explained more fully in the Technical Appendix, the record evidence supports a finding that without Comcast-NBCU’s suite of RSN, local and regional broadcast and national cable programming, other MVPDs likely would lose significant numbers of subscribers to Comcast, substantially harming those MVPDs that compete with Comcast in video distribution. This conclusion is consistent with our previous finding that Comcast’s withholding of the terrestrially delivered Comcast SportsNet Philadelphia RSN from DBS operators caused the percentage of television households subscribing to DBS in Philadelphia to be 40 percent lower than what it otherwise would have been.

All of which begs the question of what happened to getting this channel when the FCC "sort of" closed the terrestrial loophole last year. According to that all they had to prove was that withholding the channel would negatively effect competition.

#770 OFFLINE   wilbur_the_goose

wilbur_the_goose

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,393 posts

Posted 24 January 2011 - 07:06 PM

Comcast's point is that the FCC has no standing to close the loophole. The loophole was put there by Congress and signed into law by the POTUS.

#771 OFFLINE   icer44

icer44

• Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 24 January 2011 - 10:09 PM

Comcast's point is that the FCC has no standing to close the loophole. The loophole was put there by Congress and signed into law by the POTUS.

Technically, the Cable of of 1992, which first established the loophole, was vetoed by the President, but was overridden by a 2/3's majority.

However, the FCC in 2010 deemed that they were given the authority to close the loophole by section 628 of the Communications Act, to address "unfair" acts.

Did the FCC overstep it's bounds? Guess we'll find out, but probably not anytime soon.

#772 OFFLINE   spaul

spaul

Godfather

• Registered
  • 264 posts

Posted 25 January 2011 - 09:06 AM

I know that the Flyers are a high value to Comcast right now much more then the Sixers.That being said is that they could care less of the fans since they stopped even any ota locally shown games that up to 2 yrs ago did give us some on ch17 & 57.Forget pay tv there is a lot of people that can,t afford cable that leave in the city.Which will never get to see a Sixers game on tv not a one .This can not help their already low attendance and fan base .

#773 OFFLINE   espnjason

espnjason

Armchair Referee

• Registered
  • 529 posts

Posted 29 January 2011 - 05:15 PM

Ok, what is the holdup?.... the DOJ just approved the merger and we should see at least some progress by now. The Flyers come back from the all star break on Tuesday and the Phillies pitchers and catchers report on the 14th.

#774 OFFLINE   dvdmth

dvdmth

Icon

• Registered
  • 997 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 29 January 2011 - 06:01 PM

Ok, what is the holdup?.... the DOJ just approved the merger and we should see at least some progress by now. The Flyers come back from the all star break on Tuesday and the Phillies pitchers and catchers report on the 14th.

The merger isn't done yet. The FCC approved it, but I think the justice department still needs to approve it. Furthermore, once it is final it will likely be weeks, if not months, before anything concrete starts to show up. Given Comcast's claim that CSN Philly ain't gonna be affected by this, it appears Comcast will do whatever they can to delay, if not prevent, the channel's offering to satellite. Then, once Comcast is (hopefully) forced to offer the channel, it will probably take some weeks for a deal to be reached.

In other words, even if all goes well, it will be quite some time yet before CSN Philly appears on DirecTV.

#775 OFFLINE   adkinsjm

adkinsjm

Icon

• Registered
  • 914 posts

Posted 29 January 2011 - 10:27 PM

The merger isn't done yet. The FCC approved it, but I think the justice department still needs to approve it. Furthermore, once it is final it will likely be weeks, if not months, before anything concrete starts to show up. Given Comcast's claim that CSN Philly ain't gonna be affected by this, it appears Comcast will do whatever they can to delay, if not prevent, the channel's offering to satellite. Then, once Comcast is (hopefully) forced to offer the channel, it will probably take some weeks for a deal to be reached.

In other words, even if all goes well, it will be quite some time yet before CSN Philly appears on DirecTV.

Justice announced approval the same day.

#776 OFFLINE   wilbur_the_goose

wilbur_the_goose

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,393 posts

Posted 30 January 2011 - 06:17 AM

WCAU, an NBC O&O reported that they were now being run by Comcast. Seems pretty final to me.

And, no, Comcast has said over and over (Post merger announcement) that they WILL NOT share CSN-Philly.

#777 OFFLINE   bluegras

bluegras

Godfather

• Registered
  • 378 posts

Posted 30 January 2011 - 07:43 AM

when will the outdoor channel and the mtn be added in hd on directv

#778 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,463 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 30 January 2011 - 08:29 AM

when will the outdoor channel and the mtn be added in hd on directv

The mtn is a game only parttime channel. I guess you were asking when it will be full-time?
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

#779 OFFLINE   sd610

sd610

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 19 posts

Posted 30 January 2011 - 01:20 PM

So, whats the criteria for Dish or Directv to take Comacst for the fast track arbitration thing. I would this both would be anxious to do so, considing the day they get CSN Philly their subscription rates would jump, considering most people I know say that CSN is the only reason they keep Service Electric /Comcast.

#780 OFFLINE   wilbur_the_goose

wilbur_the_goose

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,393 posts

Posted 30 January 2011 - 01:39 PM

I think the chances of Comcast and E*/D* agreeing on an arbitrator to be 0%. No arbitrator, no deal.

spam firewall