Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
* * * * - 1 votes

Comcast Philadelphia

• Please log in to reply
2383 replies to this topic

#61 ONLINE   JoeTheDragon

JoeTheDragon

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,162 posts

Posted 16 March 2010 - 04:12 PM

Once Comcast finally loses the court battle, they'll switch all of the Sports Prgramming (Flyers, Sixers, and Phillies) from CSN Philly over to TCN. Just conjecture on my part.

They are useing TCN as a over flow now and comcast will not want to pull that sh** with nbc deal in works.
I want CLTV / CLTV HD on direct tv.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#62 OFFLINE   la24philly

la24philly

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,708 posts

Posted 16 March 2010 - 04:16 PM

TCN is just the begning of comcast ways of preventing their teams on D.

prior to this nba and NHL season many flyers and sixers games were on CW57 formerly upn.

for the first time ever comcast has not allowed 1 game of each team on public television.

Directv and dish networks do carry CW57 and myphl 17.

the phillies still have about 48 games for myphl17 this year thank god.

but its a clear sign many games are headed for TCN

#63 OFFLINE   Unknown

Unknown

Godfather

• Registered
  • 348 posts

Posted 16 March 2010 - 04:16 PM

This is interesting...

http://latimesblogs....nel-versus.html

"The two sides had been deadlocked until recently when Mike White, the new DirecTV chief executive, got involved in the process. The companies also resolved carriage disputes over a couple of regional sports networks owned by Comcast in Northern California and New England."

No specifics on which channels though.

this was for Versus, which has nothing to do with CSN Philly.

#64 OFFLINE   skylab

skylab

Legend

• Registered
  • 117 posts

Posted 16 March 2010 - 09:38 PM

Would love to see CSN-Philly added in time for next year A-10/Big Five college basketball.

#65 OFFLINE   la24philly

la24philly

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,708 posts

Posted 16 March 2010 - 09:44 PM

believe it or not, I saw alot of BIG FIVE GAMES ON TCN

NOVA, TEMPLE
PENN, PRINCETON.
ST JOES
DREXEL LASALLE

i dont recall 1 big five game on CSN this year.

#66 OFFLINE   CincySaint

CincySaint

AllStar

• Registered
  • 108 posts

Posted 17 March 2010 - 11:29 AM

Comcast Chairman Brian Roberts regarding the closing of the terrestrial exemption...

He (Roberts) also pointed out that there is only one Comcast-affiliated network across its 39-state footprint that the company has not made available to all competitors--Comcast SportsNet Philadelphia, and that it is ready to do so as soon as DirecTV relinquished its exclusive access to NFL Sunday Ticket.

See the whole article HERE.

#67 OFFLINE   jeepwrang3

jeepwrang3

Legend

• Registered
  • 137 posts

Posted 17 March 2010 - 11:40 AM

I'm confused, they were ordered to share it, yet Roberts is still going with the DTV NFL ST defense? What power does Comcast truly have when the exemption they've been using has been closed?
Long time Lurker, first time poster :nono2:

#68 OFFLINE   ThaPhenom

ThaPhenom

Mentor

• Registered
  • 45 posts

Posted 17 March 2010 - 11:41 AM

Comcast Chairman Brian Roberts regarding the closing of the terrestrial exemption...

Once again obfuscating the issue at hand: Content owners who are also content providers withholding content from competing providers. DirecTV is not the content owner of NFL Sunday Ticket, the NFL is. Comcast is the content owner of the CSN Philadelphia channel. 2 separate issues.

Besides, there is no way Fox, CBS or any other broadcaster would pay the NFL anything close to the amount they pay for NFL broadcast rights if Sunday Ticket was available to Comcast or any other cable provider.

#69 OFFLINE   CincySaint

CincySaint

AllStar

• Registered
  • 108 posts

Posted 17 March 2010 - 11:57 AM

Once again obfuscating the issue at hand: Content owners who are also content providers withholding content from competing providers. DirecTV is not the content owner of NFL Sunday Ticket, the NFL is. Comcast is the content owner of the CSN Philadelphia channel. 2 separate issues.

Sure but why should Roberts let the facts get in the way of a good argument to continue a bad business policy? :lol:

#70 OFFLINE   jeepwrang3

jeepwrang3

Legend

• Registered
  • 137 posts

Posted 17 March 2010 - 12:04 PM

Sure but why should Roberts let the facts get in the way of a good argument to continue a bad business policy? :lol:

I love that he's basically taking his old VS stance about the NFL Ticket, and flipping it to his bread and butter which the government just said they are required to share. :lol:
Long time Lurker, first time poster :nono2:

#71 OFFLINE   TonySCV

TonySCV

Legend

• Registered
  • 164 posts

Posted 17 March 2010 - 12:13 PM

If Comcast wants to outbid DirecTV the next time NFL Sunday Ticket exclusivity comes up for renegotiation, more power to them. Apples and oranges.

#72 OFFLINE   wilbur_the_goose

wilbur_the_goose

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,390 posts

Posted 17 March 2010 - 12:16 PM

A similar loophole issue: http://www.signonsan...x-to-play-ball/

#73 OFFLINE   dhkinil

dhkinil

Icon

• Registered
  • 652 posts

Posted 17 March 2010 - 12:32 PM

Well, it may be apples and oranges when he refers to D*, but not living in Philadelphia, I believe that he also does not allow E* access either. What is the justification there?

#74 OFFLINE   wilbur_the_goose

wilbur_the_goose

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,390 posts

Posted 17 March 2010 - 02:39 PM

dhkinil,
You're 100% correct - no CSN-Philly on E* either. But they do allow it on Verizon's FIOS TV service - go figure.

#75 OFFLINE   jlosh

jlosh

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 18 posts

Posted 17 March 2010 - 02:40 PM

It's the idiotic comments like that from Comcast that are really irritating. I just hope the FCC nips this in the bud, enforce the ruling and I am watching the Phillies this summer.

#76 OFFLINE   Beerstalker

Beerstalker

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,986 posts

Posted 17 March 2010 - 02:47 PM

Hmmm, that's the first I remember hearing about this April 2nd date, and about the cable companies not being able to fight the ruling until March 3rd. I guess that means we should start hearing a lot more about this over the next couple weeks.

#77 OFFLINE   JayPSU

JayPSU

Godfather

• Registered
  • 312 posts

Posted 17 March 2010 - 03:00 PM

Once Comcast finally loses the court battle, they'll switch all of the Sports Prgramming (Flyers, Sixers, and Phillies) from CSN Philly over to TCN. Just conjecture on my part.

It won't matter. The rule will simply be that Comcast has to make its sports programming available to satellite providers. So, if they move everything to TCN, than TCN will have to be the channel they provide to Directv. The only way around this for Comcast would be to offer their programming at insanely high prices. I'm not sure the legality of that though.

#78 OFFLINE   n3ntj

n3ntj

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,697 posts

Posted 17 March 2010 - 03:31 PM

I believe that the FCC said that cable companies have to offer their cable only channels (like RSNs) to competitors (like D*) as prices comensurate with what other providers pay. For example, if Verizon pays Comcrap $0.20 per sub in the Philly market for CSN Philly HD, then I would guess that Comcrap would also have to offer CSN Philly HD to D* for a similar amount. Of course, since Verizon and Comcrap have 90% of the Philly market, D* won't have to pay Comcrap very much to start with. If D* ever gets CSN Philly HD, there will be a huge sucking sound of Comcrap customers to D*, I have a feeling.

I don't think Comcrap can try to gouge D* as part of a negotiation standpoint.
HD Snob - "Friends Don't Let Friends Watch Cable".
Electrical/RF Engineer & Inspector
DirecTV Equipment: HR24-200, HR24-100, 5LNB Slimline, AM21, SWiM 8 installed (MRV)
HR-2x Configuration: Native OFF. Units OFF when not in use.
TVs: 2 Panasonic Plasma TV's each using HDMI (one 1080p/one 720p)
DirecTV customer since 1998. Plus HD DVR package w/ NHL Center Ice & MLB Extra Innings.
OTA Antenna: Homebrew UHF & VHF antennas w/ 30dB amplifier fed w/ RG-6 Quad-shield coax.

#79 OFFLINE   la24philly

la24philly

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,708 posts

Posted 17 March 2010 - 06:28 PM

Verizon isnt a satellite companiy it is a cable provider. Techinquly they have to share it with cable companies in philly market. in the Suburbs RCN has CSN philly.

however Verizon doesnt have TCN comcast owns that 100%

#80 OFFLINE   wilbur_the_goose

wilbur_the_goose

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,390 posts

Posted 18 March 2010 - 04:22 AM

la - nope, they didn't have to share CSN-Philly with Verizon. Comcast made a business decision to do so.

I just can't figure out why C* would give its network to V*, but not D* and E*.

C* uses the NFL Sunday Ticket arguement against D*, but that doesn't explain E*. Plus, the granting of license to V* seems counter-intuitive because they'll suck subscribers away from C*, right?

Honestly, right now I think it's a paradigm thing within Comcast, because it doesn't make any sense to continue.

(off topic - I love the new Verizon FIOS TV ads attacking Xfinity. Quoting: "Same old Comcast, just a new name")

spam firewall