Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
* * * * - 1 votes

Comcast Philadelphia

• Please log in to reply
2391 replies to this topic

#81 OFFLINE   scoop8

scoop8

Godfather

• Registered
  • 482 posts
  • LocationDallas TX

Posted 18 March 2010 - 04:42 AM

la - nope, they didn't have to share CSN-Philly with Verizon. Comcast made a business decision to do so.

I just can't figure out why C* would give its network to V*, but not D* and E*.

C* uses the NFL Sunday Ticket arguement against D*, but that doesn't explain E*. Plus, the granting of license to V* seems counter-intuitive because they'll suck subscribers away from C*, right?

Honestly, right now I think it's a paradigm thing within Comcast, because it doesn't make any sense to continue.

(off topic - I love the new Verizon FIOS TV ads attacking Xfinity. Quoting: "Same old Comcast, just a new name")

I wonder if it's just bad blood between Comcast & DTV. Wouldn't surprise me, if true. At least we have Versus back. Maybe CSN Philly some day.
DirecTV Subs since '99 - Currently out of contract
Prog Svc: DTV Premier Pkg, NFL ST, MLB EI, CI
Dish: Slimline 5LNB
Receivers: HD-DVR HR22-100, HD H23-600
Display: PANNY Plasma TH50PZ85U
DVD Player: Std Upconvert Region-Free Pioneer DV-400V

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#82 OFFLINE   wilbur_the_goose

wilbur_the_goose

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,406 posts

Posted 18 March 2010 - 05:37 AM

scoop, I think you're right. But I still don't understand why C* is withholding from E* too...

Comcast is just being strange here. Very strange.

#83 OFFLINE   n3ntj

n3ntj

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,706 posts

Posted 18 March 2010 - 09:01 AM

I wonder if it has anything to do with the fact that it may take 10 or more years (from what I hear) for Verizon to get coverage all over the Philly market, where it could take days/weeks for a bunch more D* and E* dishes to pop up all over Philly?

Could be a very very busy time in the next few years to be a D* and E* installer around Philly.
HD Snob - "Friends Don't Let Friends Watch Cable".
Electrical/RF Engineer & Inspector
DirecTV Equipment: HR24-200, HR24-100, 5LNB Slimline, AM21, SWiM 8 installed (MRV)
HR-2x Configuration: Native OFF. Units OFF when not in use.
TVs: 2 Panasonic Plasma TV's each using HDMI (one 1080p/one 720p)
DirecTV customer since 1998. Plus HD DVR package w/ NHL Center Ice & MLB Extra Innings.
OTA Antenna: Homebrew UHF & VHF antennas w/ 30dB amplifier fed w/ RG-6 Quad-shield coax.

#84 OFFLINE   GlennDio

GlennDio

Icon

• Registered
  • 585 posts
  • LocationTampa, FL

Posted 18 March 2010 - 10:14 AM

la - nope, they didn't have to share CSN-Philly with Verizon. Comcast made a business decision to do so.

I just can't figure out why C* would give its network to V*, but not D* and E*.

C* uses the NFL Sunday Ticket arguement against D*, but that doesn't explain E*. Plus, the granting of license to V* seems counter-intuitive because they'll suck subscribers away from C*, right?

Honestly, right now I think it's a paradigm thing within Comcast, because it doesn't make any sense to continue.

(off topic - I love the new Verizon FIOS TV ads attacking Xfinity. Quoting: "Same old Comcast, just a new name")

I have always heard that Senator Spector (the one who let them keep the loophole open) told them that Verizon is also one of his big campaign contributors and therefore unless they let Verizon have it he was going to have to pull his support ... I know we have no facts to prove this but it does seem to make sense to me ... so take it for what it is worth

#85 OFFLINE   n3ntj

n3ntj

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,706 posts

Posted 18 March 2010 - 11:01 AM

Verizon isnt a satellite companiy it is a cable provider. Techinquly they have to share it with cable companies in philly market. in the Suburbs RCN has CSN philly.

however Verizon doesnt have TCN comcast owns that 100%

No, Verizon isn't a cable provider. Verizon is in the Fiber Optic business (FiOS). I don't think I ever said Verizon was a satellite company as we all know they are not.
DirecTV Equipment: HR24-200, HR24-100, 5LNB Slimline, AM21, SWiM 8 installed (MRV)
DirecTV customer since 1998. Plus HD DVR package w/ NHL Center Ice & MLB Extra Innings.
OTA Antenna: Homebrew UHF & VHF antennas w/ 30dB amplifier fed w/ RG-6 Quad-shield coax.

#86 OFFLINE   la24philly

la24philly

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,708 posts

Posted 18 March 2010 - 08:29 PM

the Point I was referring is that the loophole that comcast used was for satellite companies. When CSN philly started they didn't uplink it to a satellite they used lan lines to distribute the signal.

Thats the loophole that comcast was using all this time till FCC closed it.

With verizon not being a satellite company, any non satellite cable company in the philly area CSN had to provide the signal.

Unlike most other cable networks, CSN Philadelphia is distributed only via microwave and fiber optics. The infrastructure Comcast uses for this was left over from the now defunct PRISM Network. Since CSN Philadelphia does not uplink its signal to any satellite, Comcast was able to avoid an FCC regulation that requires most television channels to be offered to direct broadcast satellite (DBS) companies

here is a list of all cable companies in the pa nj de area that have CSN

http://www.csnphilly...ages/contact_us

#87 OFFLINE   Grafixguy

Grafixguy

Godfather

• Registered
  • 385 posts

Posted 19 March 2010 - 07:07 AM

With verizon not being a satellite company, any non satellite cable company in the philly area CSN had to provide the signal.

Not true. Cablevision is using the loophole to withhold MSG and MSG+ hi def feeds from FiOS in the NYC market.

#88 OFFLINE   Jimmy 440

Jimmy 440

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,665 posts
  • LocationMonmouth County NJ

Posted 19 March 2010 - 07:33 AM

Not true. Cablevision is using the loophole to withhold MSG and MSG+ hi def feeds from FiOS in the NYC market.

They settled 2 days ago.MSG HD is back on CI.

JIMMY

DirecTv 1999
Olevia 42" HD
HR22-100
--------------------
NHL CI
MLB EI

#89 OFFLINE   wallybarthman

wallybarthman

Godfather

• Registered
  • 363 posts

Posted 19 March 2010 - 07:43 AM

They settled 2 days ago.MSG HD is back on CI.

Back on Center Ice - but not on FiOS.

Westinghouse 37'' LCD 1080p Monitor / PS3 / HR24-500 w/AM21 OTA Tuner / Mac Mini
Vizio 42'' LCD 720p TV / Panasonic Blu-ray Player / Mac Mini / HR22 w/ AM21 OTA Tuner and HR22

#90 OFFLINE   wilbur_the_goose

wilbur_the_goose

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,406 posts

Posted 19 March 2010 - 07:57 AM

FIOS could use the signal if they wanted, but their HD capacity for sports packages is quite limited.

#91 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,631 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 19 March 2010 - 07:57 AM

Yes, they had to. The loophole CSN Philly is using is a satellite loophole, not a terristerial loophole.
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

#92 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,631 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 19 March 2010 - 07:59 AM

No, Verizon isn't a cable provider. Verizon is in the Fiber Optic business (FiOS).

That is a funny one.

Or maybe you are not being funny and have bought into the hype.

Verizon is a cable company.
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV

#93 OFFLINE   n3ntj

n3ntj

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,706 posts

Posted 19 March 2010 - 09:28 AM

That is a funny one.

Or maybe you are not being funny and have bought into the hype.

Verizon is a cable company.

Nope, Verizon is NOT a cable company. The technology and method of distribution is not the same as what actual cable companies use. Verizon uses fiber optic technology to deliver TV signals to its customers.

Why do you believe that Verizon is a cable company? If so, please explain in detail how the technology that Verizon uses is the same as what cable companies use.

#94 OFFLINE   n3ntj

n3ntj

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,706 posts

Posted 19 March 2010 - 09:30 AM

the Point I was referring is that the loophole that comcast used was for satellite companies. When CSN philly started they didn't uplink it to a satellite they used lan lines to distribute the signal.

Thats the loophole that comcast was using all this time till FCC closed it.

Unlike most other cable networks, CSN Philadelphia is distributed only via microwave and fiber optics. The infrastructure Comcast uses for this was left over from the now defunct PRISM Network. Since CSN Philadelphia does not uplink its signal to any satellite, Comcast was able to avoid an FCC regulation that requires most television channels to be offered to direct broadcast satellite (DBS) companies

here is a list of all cable companies in the pa nj de area that have CSN

http://www.csnphilly...ages/contact_us

I think we all already knew all of this. There have been dozens of threads over the years detailing the specifics of the satellite loophole. Let's hope this dumb rule ends soon and we see these current 'cable-only' channels on other providers (like D* and E*) soon.

#95 OFFLINE   wilbur_the_goose

wilbur_the_goose

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,406 posts

Posted 19 March 2010 - 10:35 AM

n3tj, No, of course they don't use traditional cable.... Actually, they're a phone company that offers fiber optic service to the home.

Need proof? They're still fixated on selling POTS service!

#96 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,631 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 19 March 2010 - 10:50 AM

Nope, Verizon is NOT a cable company. The technology and method of distribution is not the same as what actual cable companies use. Verizon uses fiber optic technology to deliver TV signals to its customers.

Why do you believe that Verizon is a cable company? If so, please explain in detail how the technology that Verizon uses is the same as what cable companies use.

You limit cable companies to those who do, what, copper? Gee, Comcast delivers fiber to my door and did so before Fios started its first cable system. Does that make them NOT a cable company? What, Fios uses an addressable router to deliver TV? Gee, what about the switched video that Comcast and others use? What about the in-the-clear channels Fios delivers?

Fios is a cable company who pumps their fiber optics. Like I said, hype.

Cable companies are connected by a CABLE. What is a fiber optic? A fiber optic CABLE. Satellite companies are connected via a satellite.

#97 OFFLINE   bosco10021

bosco10021

Icon

• Registered
  • 514 posts

Posted 19 March 2010 - 10:58 AM

I just have to laugh everytime I see that Center Ice commerical with the two Flyer fans happy they can watch their team.....they wish.

#98 OFFLINE   jefbal99

jefbal99

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,838 posts

Posted 19 March 2010 - 11:02 AM

However, they do use the same 256QAM system that cable providers use to get their signal to the IRDs in the people homes. I think of Verizon much like I think of Comcast, TWC, etc. ATT U-Verse is an IPTV system, if Verizon every changes to IPTV, their bandwidth would be almost limitless
Receiving Equipment: AU9 Slimline w/Zinwell WB68 & SWM 8 | Winegard MS-2000 w/PS-1503 Power Injector
Living Room: HR22-100 w/AM-21 | Samsung HL-S4266W (HDMI) | Ethernet MRV | Pioneer HTS-GS1 5.1 | Yamaha DV-S6160 (Component/Digital Coaxial)
Bedroom: H21-200 w/AM-21 | Westinghouse LVM-42w2 (HDMI) | Ethernet MRV
Home Theatre: HR20-100 | Sanyo PLV-Z60 (Component/Optical) | Flexio 16:9 100" Screen | Ethernet MRV |Yamaha YHT-690 | XBox 360 (Component) | Harmony 880

#99 OFFLINE   noahproblem

noahproblem

Legend

• Registered
  • 108 posts

Posted 19 March 2010 - 11:29 AM

I just have to laugh everytime I see that Center Ice commerical with the two Flyer fans happy they can watch their team.....they wish.

Personally, I like the two Blackhawks fans up here in Boston bemoaning our pizza ("this is just wrong...").

#100 OFFLINE   Grafixguy

Grafixguy

Godfather

• Registered
  • 385 posts

Posted 19 March 2010 - 11:36 AM

Yes, they had to. The loophole CSN Philly is using is a satellite loophole, not a terristerial loophole.

Wrong again. The terrestrial loophole allows the owner of a channel not distributed via satellite to not sell it to competitors.

Cablevision is using it against FiOS with MSG and MSG+ HD and Comcast is using it in Philly against DTV and Dish.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...