Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
* * * * - 1 votes

Comcast Philadelphia

• Please log in to reply
2383 replies to this topic

#1021 OFFLINE   jpl

jpl

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,772 posts

Posted 28 March 2011 - 11:42 AM

Are complaints publicly available? If so, then it should be easy to check.

I think they are. But since it doesn't directly impact me... I never bothered. I guess you can check on the FCC's website.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#1022 OFFLINE   Grafixguy

Grafixguy

Godfather

• Registered
  • 383 posts

Posted 28 March 2011 - 02:11 PM

I'm sorry, but this makes no sense. When Verizon tried getting the Rainbow Media channels from CableVision, a few years ago, CV went off on how they weren't required to because of the loophole. So what did Verizon do? They went to the FCC, who found in Verizon's favor and FORCED CV TO GIVE UP THE CHANNELS. If DirecTV isn't going to the FCC with this, now that the loophole is, for all intents and purposes, closed, how is it NOT DirecTV's fault? Comcast isn't going to just give up the channel. And they're not required to do so. Per the latest rules, it is incumbent on DirecTV to go to the FCC and file a complaint to get the channel. Again, if they haven't done that then it IS their fault. Finally, if DirecTV went to the FCC, and the FCC found in DirecTV's favor then Comcast would have no choice but to give up the channel. The FCC could impose some singnificant fines on Comcast for not complying, and could really shut them down.

This is incorrect. Verizon did file a complaint but it was based on the fact that Cablevision was not negotiating in good faith. The channels that FiOS wound up getting were the SD feeds of MSG and MSG+ which are distributed via satellite. The HD feeds are distributed terrestrially and are still unavailable on FiOS.

#1023 OFFLINE   fireponcoal

fireponcoal

Icon

• Registered
  • 713 posts

Posted 28 March 2011 - 02:19 PM

You're good for Union games. No blackouts on MLS Direct Kick.:D

I actually have FiOS as well but it's just the idea of it that makes me mad. I'd rather just have one provider at the end of the day and I would like that provider to be D*.. No blackouts in any sport is mighty impressive though. I wonder how long it will stick around for?

#1024 OFFLINE   la24philly

la24philly

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,708 posts

Posted 28 March 2011 - 02:25 PM

i would like to see directv fcc public report. I want to see what they actually filed or if they did.

#1025 OFFLINE   TheRatPatrol

TheRatPatrol

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,735 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, AZ

Posted 28 March 2011 - 06:03 PM

I don't mean any disrespect towards anyone here, but how do we know that D* and C* aren't in talks right now? Maybe D* and/or C* was waiting for the NBC merger to happen before starting negotiations? :confused: :shrug:

Until something is officially announced we don't know whats going on behind closed door.

#1026 OFFLINE   nybill38

nybill38

AllStar

• Registered
  • 63 posts

Posted 28 March 2011 - 06:14 PM

wow, we made it 7 days without a posting on this topic and now today we get slammed but a ton more useless messages.

you won't find any valuable information by posting on here, the people that know aren't talking and furthermore don't post on here

#1027 OFFLINE   dhhaines

dhhaines

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,239 posts

Posted 28 March 2011 - 08:42 PM

wow, we made it 7 days without a posting on this topic and now today we get slammed but a ton more useless messages.

you won't find any valuable information by posting on here, the people that know aren't talking and furthermore don't post on here

Thank you for your wonderful insight. :rolleyes:

I guess since you just posted here you don't know anything either. :rolleyes:
------------------------------------------------------------------------
I read a report that said the typical symptoms of stress were eating too much, drinking too much, impulse buying, and driving too fast. Who are they kidding? That's my idea of a perfect day.

Directv 3/1998-9/2011
now with Verizon FIOS and loving the faster DVR and being able to use both the external & internal drives at the same time

#1028 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,538 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 28 March 2011 - 09:11 PM

I agree... if Verizon went to the FCC about getting the channel(s) they wanted due to the loophole and was successful, what on earth is D* waiting for regarding CSN Philly? D* seems just uninterested in carrying this channel. People have been asking for it for years..now that D* finally has a solid chance, they appear to be doing nothing.

In a response I received from the FCC about the issue, D* has filed no formal complaint or otherwise against Comcrap regarding CSN Philly.

Well. Let's see. Verizon went after a one trick pony (cablevision) for the only product they had to sell.

Directv would have to go after Comcast which only owns a good chunk of basic cable, a good chunk of regional sports channels and one of the major broadcast networks not to mention the carrier of a lot of the directv bandwidth for video on demand.

Yup. Same thing.

Verizon had nothing to lose. Directv would be bringing the equivalent if a lawsuit against a company they are in constant negotiation with on many fronts. You don't do that lightly.
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

#1029 OFFLINE   la24philly

la24philly

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,708 posts

Posted 28 March 2011 - 10:12 PM

the nbc merger is complete rat what do you mean.

the minute that happened D should have filed a complaint with FCC

#1030 OFFLINE   TheRatPatrol

TheRatPatrol

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,735 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, AZ

Posted 28 March 2011 - 10:47 PM

the nbc merger is complete rat what do you mean.

the minute that happened D should have filed a complaint with FCC

Theres no need to file a complaint if both parties are willing to negotiate.

Again, we don't know what they're doing.

#1031 OFFLINE   la24philly

la24philly

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,708 posts

Posted 29 March 2011 - 06:38 AM

i still think D should file a complaint, why would C want to negoiate now. Let the FCC rule and set a fair price. everyday that goes buy c wins

#1032 OFFLINE   jpl

jpl

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,772 posts

Posted 29 March 2011 - 07:27 AM

Well. Let's see. Verizon went after a one trick pony (cablevision) for the only product they had to sell.

Directv would have to go after Comcast which only owns a good chunk of basic cable, a good chunk of regional sports channels and one of the major broadcast networks not to mention the carrier of a lot of the directv bandwidth for video on demand.

Yup. Same thing.

Verizon had nothing to lose. Directv would be bringing the equivalent if a lawsuit against a company they are in constant negotiation with on many fronts. You don't do that lightly.

Sorry, but again this makes no sense. What does the number of channels that either provider have have ANYTHING to do with it? The FCC's closing of the loophole requires that a provider come to them with a complaint to REQUEST A SPECIFIC CHANNEL. It wouldn't matter if Comcast had a thousand RSNs that they held under the loophole. The action that DirecTV needs to take to get CSN Philly is EXACTLY the same action that Verizon had to do to get MSG. Each channel requested in this way requires the exact same action to the FCC.

And what does it mean to say that 'Verizon had nothing to lose'? I don't understand that. What does DirecTV have to lose by making this move? They would go to the FCC, request the channel, make the case that they're losing customer share by not having the channel, and the FCC would make its determination. If they decided in favor of DirecTV, then the FCC would force Comcast's hand. It's pretty cut and dry, and it's not the equivalent of a lawsuit - they're not 'taking on Comcast', with all its massive holdings, in the courts. They would go to the FCC and make a claim that not having CSN Philly is hurting them financially. They're not taking on Comcast at all. They would be making the claim that they're getting hurt financially by not having the channel. It wouldn't matter if the provider holding the channel is Comcast or Bob's Big Cable Company - the claim to the FCC would be EXACTLY the same. It has nothing whatsoever to do with the market-share that either Comcast or CV have in their respective areas. But to get the channel DirecTV actually HAS to take the step of requesting it via the FCC.

Edited by jpl, 29 March 2011 - 07:35 AM.

#1033 OFFLINE   jpl

jpl

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,772 posts

Posted 29 March 2011 - 07:44 AM

Actually one last point and I'll drop my tirade. I believe that DirecTV would actually have an EASIER time of convincing the FCC than Verizon does to get MSG. Why? Read the filing that Verizon made to the FCC a couple years ago when they requested that the loophole be closed. Verizon already made DirecTV's case. They laid out the case that not having an RSN hurts providers in general. And to make their case, they used an interesting measure - dbs penetration in two specific markets (Philly and San Diego) relative to other markets around the country. Philly in particular showed how not having access to an RSN reduces (by 40% in the case of Philly) dbs penetration rates in those markets.

On top of that - the FCC bought their argument! That argument is what led the FCC to close the loophole. Verizon already made DirecTV's case. They just have to pull the information from Verizon's filing to the FCC from a couple years ago, and they basically have their filing to the FCC. On top of that, since that argument already won the day at the FCC, I would find it very hard to believe that the FCC would turn around and then reject DirecTV's request. One final, final point - if I were DirecTV, I would submit this before 2012. Not to make this political, but after the next presidential election, if Obama loses, then the FCC totally changes hands. Right now you have an FCC that's sympathetic to the case of getting rid of the loophole. Future FCCs may not be.

#1034 OFFLINE   bluegras

bluegras

Godfather

• Registered
  • 388 posts

Posted 29 March 2011 - 08:07 AM

Hi Allen - We appreciate your suggestion. We are always evaluating different ways to improve our programming and will always take the appropriate actions to do so. We'll keep you posted.

same response

#1035 OFFLINE   la24philly

la24philly

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,708 posts

Posted 29 March 2011 - 08:57 AM

i wish someone know a directv exec and could ask info on the status

#1036 OFFLINE   psuscott0483

psuscott0483

Godfather

• Registered
  • 333 posts

Posted 29 March 2011 - 09:14 AM

i know this is off-topic but the people in this thread should specifically know this area. phillies opening day is on myphl17 and espn, who is actually going to show the game so i can set the DVR?
DIRECTV since 2005
Premier Package + MRV + NHL Center Ice + NFL Sunday Ticket
HR34-700
HR24-500
H21-100
H23-600 x 3
H24-100 x 4
H25-500
Setup | Setup Diagram

#1037 OFFLINE   la24philly

la24philly

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,708 posts

Posted 29 March 2011 - 09:43 AM

phillies opening day friday is most likely to be PPD prehaps a double header sat or sunday, or they will make it up when astros head back to the NE.

rain and wind temps in 40s /50s expected.

#1038 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,538 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 29 March 2011 - 09:54 AM

Sorry, but again this makes no sense. What does the number of channels that either provider have have ANYTHING to do with it? The FCC's closing of the loophole requires that a provider come to them with a complaint to REQUEST A SPECIFIC CHANNEL. It wouldn't matter if Comcast had a thousand RSNs that they held under the loophole. The action that DirecTV needs to take to get CSN Philly is EXACTLY the same action that Verizon had to do to get MSG. Each channel requested in this way requires the exact same action to the FCC.

And what does it mean to say that 'Verizon had nothing to lose'? I don't understand that. What does DirecTV have to lose by making this move? They would go to the FCC, request the channel, make the case that they're losing customer share by not having the channel, and the FCC would make its determination. If they decided in favor of DirecTV, then the FCC would force Comcast's hand. It's pretty cut and dry, and it's not the equivalent of a lawsuit - they're not 'taking on Comcast', with all its massive holdings, in the courts. They would go to the FCC and make a claim that not having CSN Philly is hurting them financially. They're not taking on Comcast at all. They would be making the claim that they're getting hurt financially by not having the channel. It wouldn't matter if the provider holding the channel is Comcast or Bob's Big Cable Company - the claim to the FCC would be EXACTLY the same. It has nothing whatsoever to do with the market-share that either Comcast or CV have in their respective areas. But to get the channel DirecTV actually HAS to take the step of requesting it via the FCC.

Feel better now?

You do not take a company you want to continue to do business with on a regular basis and need to negogiate with them for best deals in the future to court unless you postively have to. Filing with the FCC is the equivalent of going to court.

Of course they would be taking on Comcast. You really think a company that is in a snit over not having Sunday Ticket is not going to hold a grudge?

DirecTV may eventually go to the FCC but only if they think it is worth the risk of damaging other deals and/or really, really need CSN Philly for financial health. (I can give you a clue on the latter....they don't.)

One last thing. If you force a woman to marry you, do you let her make your meals?
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

#1039 OFFLINE   wilbur_the_goose

wilbur_the_goose

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,397 posts

Posted 29 March 2011 - 11:07 AM

It'd be so cool if just one person could write a letter to D* on this subject that'd be read by somebody other than a CSR.

#1040 OFFLINE   la24philly

la24philly

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,708 posts

Posted 29 March 2011 - 12:26 PM

wil i got my calender circled for the 18th dollar dog night phils v brewers.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...