Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
* * * * - 1 votes

Comcast Philadelphia

• Please log in to reply
2392 replies to this topic

#1041 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,700 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 29 March 2011 - 12:45 PM

It'd be so cool if just one person could write a letter to D* on this subject that'd be read by somebody other than a CSR.

Have at it:

ellen.filipiak@directv.com

Director of Customer Service
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#1042 OFFLINE   bluegras

bluegras

Godfather

• Registered
  • 426 posts

Posted 29 March 2011 - 12:55 PM

get in touch with her and explain with whats going on with Comcast Philadelphia.

#1043 OFFLINE   jpl

jpl

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,773 posts

Posted 29 March 2011 - 01:13 PM

Feel better now?

You do not take a company you want to continue to do business with on a regular basis and need to negogiate with them for best deals in the future to court unless you postively have to. Filing with the FCC is the equivalent of going to court.

Of course they would be taking on Comcast. You really think a company that is in a snit over not having Sunday Ticket is not going to hold a grudge?

DirecTV may eventually go to the FCC but only if they think it is worth the risk of damaging other deals and/or really, really need CSN Philly for financial health. (I can give you a clue on the latter....they don't.)

One last thing. If you force a woman to marry you, do you let her make your meals?

I'm sorry, but this is just flat wrong. DirecTV would NOT be taking on Comcast. They make a request FOR THE CHANNEL. The FCC determines if DirecTV made their case or not. IF they do, then the FCC forces Comcast's hand. There's also one other big way that it's not the same as a lawsuit - DirecTV doesn't have to demonstrate any wrong-doing on Comcast's part.

In fact, Comcast could be doing everything totally legally, and still be required to give over the channel. That's because this has nothing whatsoever to do with which provider has which channels. The only thing DirecTV has to demonstrate is that they're being hurt, financially, by not having CSN Philly. Which would be insanely easy to do - like I said, Verizon already made their case for them.

As for contract negotiations, again, the FCC requires that these providers work in good faith. CV has been gunning for Verizon and AT&T from the get-go... that does not give them the green light to screw over either company in negotiations for their Rainbow Media channels. CV isn't allowed to charge one company something outlandish compared to what it charges other companies. Comcast would be no different in this situation. They wouldn't screw over DirecTV because they wouldn't be allowed to.

Besides, this wouldn't be the first time that DirecTV went after Comcast on their RSNs. A number of years ago they themselves went to the FCC requesting that the loophole be closed, and they did so by specifically targeting the RSNs that Comcast owns. Funny that they weren't worried about blow-back back then. But now they are?

I'm sorry, but you're just setting up obstructions that aren't there. They're non sequitirs. Now there may be another valid reason that DirecTV is holding off. It sure seems like the FCC is dragging its feet on implementing this regulation. But unless companies like DirecTV push the FCC to act, they'll never get the channel. I believe the regulation is in place to get the ball moving on this, and it's just simply mind-boggling that a company like DirecTV would sit on the side-lines like this.

Finally - on the NFL ST front... let Comcast make that case. You really think they're not going to do it anyway? You think they already haven't been making that case? Of course they will and they have. But it's not the same thing as what we're talking about here. The NFL isn't owned by some cable company. They're an independent third party who signed an exclusive carry contract with a specific provider. That's totally different, and TOTALLY outside the FCC's perview. In order to force them to open up NFL ST, the FCC would basically be exerting authority to override a legal contract. Which it has no authority to do. The loophole is a specific construct which IS within the FCC's perview.

#1044 OFFLINE   n3ntj

n3ntj

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,717 posts
  • LocationLancaster, PA area

Posted 29 March 2011 - 03:55 PM

+1

HD Snob - "Friends Don't Let Friends Watch Cable".
Electrical/RF Engineer & Inspector
DirecTV Equipment: HR24-200 (2), 5LNB Slimline, AM21, SWiM 8 installed (MRV), Cinema Kit (Wifi connection)
Configuration: Native OFF. Units OFF when not in use.
TVs: 2 Panasonic Plasma TV's each using HDMI (one 1080p/one 720p)
DirecTV customer since 1998. Plus HD DVR package w/ NHL Center Ice & MLB Extra Innings.
OTA Antenna: Homebrew UHF & VHF antennas w/ 30dB amplifier fed w/ RG-6 Quad-shield coax.

#1045 OFFLINE   la24philly

la24philly

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,708 posts

Posted 29 March 2011 - 04:31 PM

i emailed that ellen lady i wonder what her response will be.

i told her not to give me the usual csr crap. i want a real true answer and a status.

#1046 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,700 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 29 March 2011 - 04:43 PM

I'm sorry, but this is just flat wrong. DirecTV would NOT be taking on Comcast. They make a request FOR THE CHANNEL. The FCC determines if DirecTV made their case or not. IF they do, then the FCC forces Comcast's hand. There's also one other big way that it's not the same as a lawsuit - DirecTV doesn't have to demonstrate any wrong-doing on Comcast's part.

They file a complaint with the FCC. The FCC hears the case and makes a ruling which Comcast has to follow. Other than the people making the decision not wearing a robe and having a gavel, that is a court case.

As for taking on Comcast, of course they are. Go try to force a business to do something they don't want to do by legal means and see how much they cooperate with you the next time.

I give up. Maybe you are not seeing it because you want the channel but that is EXACTLY how it would go down. I deal with large deals and long term contracts regularly and I know that you do not antagonize your business partner or force them to do something through legal means unless a) it is your last resort and B) it really hurts you.

Either DirecTV thinks they can still work the issue out or thinks that a forced deal for CSN Philly will cost them more later on. There is no other way to read this. If they decide it is worth the risk, they will do it. It is called business.

What amazes me is that you actually think that Comcast would happily do what they don't want to (obviously) do and not have it affect further dealings. Where the heck do you get that idea?

As for contract negotiations, again, the FCC requires that these providers work in good faith. CV has been gunning for Verizon and AT&T from the get-go... that does not give them the green light to screw over either company in negotiations for their Rainbow Media channels. CV isn't allowed to charge one company something outlandish compared to what it charges other companies. Comcast would be no different in this situation. They wouldn't screw over DirecTV because they wouldn't be allowed to.

Sorry, this is just so naive. Comcast is ALREADY SCREWING DIRECTV. They pulled Versus. They haven't giving them CSN Philly or CSN Northwest. Sounds like a screwing to me.

As for previous filings.....Comcast was NOT the giant they are today.
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

#1047 OFFLINE   la24philly

la24philly

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,708 posts

Posted 29 March 2011 - 05:51 PM

i dont think directv wants CSNW at the current price

#1048 OFFLINE   Eksynyt

Eksynyt

Icon

• Registered
  • 834 posts

Posted 29 March 2011 - 06:03 PM

i dont think directv wants CSNW at the current price

Nope, CSNNW will never be on DirecTV because Comcast owns 100% of the channel and is demanding something like $3 a subscriber nationally, knowing that D* will never pay for it. So they get to keep it exclusive to the Northwest and all Blazers and Duck games are only shown in a tiny portion of the nation that no one else can see unless you get NBA League Pass, which does you no good in Oregon.

Good job Blazers and Ducks...you have prevented over half of your fanbase from ever seeing you again.

#1049 OFFLINE   JoeTheDragon

JoeTheDragon

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,243 posts

Posted 29 March 2011 - 06:08 PM

Nope, CSNNW will never be on DirecTV because Comcast owns 100% of the channel and is demanding something like $3 a subscriber nationally, knowing that D* will never pay for it. So they get to keep it exclusive to the Northwest and all Blazers and Duck games are only shown in a tiny portion of the nation that no one else can see unless you get NBA League Pass, which does you no good in Oregon.

Good job Blazers and Ducks...you have prevented over half of your fanbase from ever seeing you again.

other area cable systems will not also pay that $3 per sub.

but D* and others likely will pay $3 for big RSN's like CSN CHI.
I want CLTV / CLTV HD on direct tv.

#1050 OFFLINE   GlennDio

GlennDio

Icon

• Registered
  • 587 posts
  • LocationTampa, FL

Posted 29 March 2011 - 06:43 PM

i still think D should file a complaint, why would C want to negoiate now. Let the FCC rule and set a fair price. everyday that goes buy c wins

i wish someone know a directv exec and could ask info on the status

la24philly .... can you please take an extra 30 seconds when posting and type full words and check your spelling.... I am not even asking for you to check/correct your grammar .... it would really make it easier for the rest of us to follow your train of thought ...thank you

#1051 OFFLINE   cariera

cariera

Icon

• Registered
  • 862 posts

Posted 29 March 2011 - 06:56 PM

ii told her not to give me the usual csr crap.

Yeah, I bet that threat is going to work

i want a real true answer and a status.

Here's your status answer,

1. We have no interest in the channel at this time, or

2. We are exploring options to bring that channel to our subscribers at a fair and reasonable price.

Anything beyond that would be a surprise.:)

#1052 OFFLINE   WebTraveler

WebTraveler

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,089 posts

Posted 29 March 2011 - 07:31 PM

la24philly .... can you please take an extra 30 seconds when posting and type full words and check your spelling.... I am not even asking for you to check/correct your grammar .... it would really make it easier for the rest of us to follow your train of thought ...thank you

I have no problem following his thoughts. Really D = Directv and C = Comcast. Exec = executive. While there are misspellings in a few cases, none is fatal to understanding what he said...

#1053 OFFLINE   la24philly

la24philly

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,708 posts

Posted 29 March 2011 - 07:50 PM

glen love ya bro, but I dont think when I type nor do I spell correctly or give a rat's acss. As long as people were able to understand what i was trying to say tahts all that needs to be said.

I dont work here, and its the only place where let off some steam following a long hard day at work, plus im usually typing after having a few beeeeeers

#1054 OFFLINE   la24philly

la24philly

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,708 posts

Posted 29 March 2011 - 08:18 PM

SUNDAY

astros phillies 135 and could be a doubleheader friday most likely will be rained out and its astros only trip to philly this year.

sunday big day overall

ASTROS VS PHILLIES 135 PHL 17

RANGERS V FLYERS 1230 NBC

WRESTLEMANIA AT NIGHT

big sunday south philly will be packed 60K+ fans expected.

#1055 ONLINE   TheRatPatrol

TheRatPatrol

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,801 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, AZ

Posted 29 March 2011 - 10:44 PM

....or give a rat's acss.

Hey now. :lol:

#1056 OFFLINE   psuscott0483

psuscott0483

Godfather

• Registered
  • 333 posts

Posted 30 March 2011 - 08:02 AM

so....in the event it is NOT rained out entirely, who will carry the game friday? phl17 or espn? or both?
DIRECTV since 2005
Premier Package + MRV + NHL Center Ice + NFL Sunday Ticket
HR34-700
HR24-500
H21-100
H23-600 x 3
H24-100 x 4
H25-500
Setup | Setup Diagram

#1057 OFFLINE   spaul

spaul

Godfather

• Registered
  • 264 posts

Posted 30 March 2011 - 08:38 AM

The Phillies game best bet for us is My Phl 17 for friday because,ESPN only gets so many games locally allowed .The amount they are allowed each season before they are blacked out I think is 5-6 games .This is only when there is a local broadcast at same time dosen,t count with sunday night games which are national and no other feeds happening.I,ll be watching channel 17 but, if it is on ESPN then I,ll check which has the best feed.

#1058 OFFLINE   psuscott0483

psuscott0483

Godfather

• Registered
  • 333 posts

Posted 30 March 2011 - 10:08 AM

thanks, i just want to prevent dvr'ing channel 17 and then nothing shows up
DIRECTV since 2005
Premier Package + MRV + NHL Center Ice + NFL Sunday Ticket
HR34-700
HR24-500
H21-100
H23-600 x 3
H24-100 x 4
H25-500
Setup | Setup Diagram

#1059 OFFLINE   FramundaCheeze

FramundaCheeze

Legend

• Registered
  • 106 posts

Posted 31 March 2011 - 03:33 PM

Don't know if anyone else ever got this response.... We've all received the same copy and paste email response that doesn't give a straight answer, but today I called to order MLS Direct Kick and decided to ask the csr. Her exact answer was " We're negotiating an agreement but don't have a start date"

Maybe a good sign??????

#1060 OFFLINE   cjrleimer

cjrleimer

Godfather

• Registered
  • 481 posts

Posted 31 March 2011 - 03:36 PM

Don't know if anyone else ever got this response.... We've all received the same copy and paste email response that doesn't give a straight answer, but today I called to order MLS Direct Kick and decided to ask the csr. Her exact answer was " We're negotiating an agreement but don't have a start date"

Maybe a good sign??????

No its just the CSRS wanting to get people to believe lies.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...