Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
* * * * - 1 votes

Comcast Philadelphia

• Please log in to reply
2383 replies to this topic

#1261 OFFLINE   adkinsjm

adkinsjm

Icon

• Registered
  • 914 posts

Posted 19 May 2011 - 08:24 PM

PPV won't work for the Olympics. Not enough people will pay to watch niche events. Remember the 1992 Olympics?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#1262 OFFLINE   JoeTheDragon

JoeTheDragon

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,145 posts

Posted 20 May 2011 - 07:20 AM

PPV won't work for the Olympics. Not enough people will pay to watch niche events. Remember the 1992 Olympics?

but this is comcast and they can put all the good stuff on ppv and make the free NBC stuff taped delayed and crap events Or even cable only.

In 2010 they did not want to show much hockey on NBC do it lacking ad brakes.

Also There are PPV / sport pack needed to get most Olympics events in other systems.
I want CLTV / CLTV HD on direct tv.

#1263 OFFLINE   spaul

spaul

Godfather

• Registered
  • 264 posts

Posted 20 May 2011 - 08:30 AM

I think back in the 80,s that NBC tried PPV triple cast on cable don,t know how successful that was .Getting back to present maybe Ebersol questioned why regional sports channels like CSN Phila. were kept off satellite and losing so many more viewers for ad rates.This thought would be nice if true but, begs the bigger question don,t the teams want as much viewers for ad money and interest as possible.Yeah I,m still beating that dead horse again and will continue until something gives in this unjust world of Comcast and its bag of tricks control Phila. area 3 sports teams games .Their name change approach to being better is cosmetic and dosen,t change the fact they have lousy service and especially equipment too.that is why I left them and haven,t gone back either since getting Directv 9/07.

#1264 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,264 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 20 May 2011 - 08:43 AM

This thought would be nice if true but, begs the bigger question don,t the teams want as much viewers for ad money and interest as possible.

I think Comcast would do better overall if the programming were more widely available but as for the teams. As much as they *are* Comcast, they don't really care about their individual money making. Nor does it make much difference to them individually as all of them are doing quite nicely at the gate (ever try to get a good seat at a Phillie's game?) and their income from CSN Philly is fixed by contract, not by ad money or ratings.
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

#1265 OFFLINE   dhkinil

dhkinil

Icon

• Registered
  • 652 posts

Posted 20 May 2011 - 09:16 AM

I think Comcast would do better overall if the programming were more widely available but as for the teams. As much as they *are* Comcast, they don't really care about their individual money making. Nor does it make much difference to them individually as all of them are doing quite nicely at the gate (ever try to get a good seat at a Phillie's game?) and their income from CSN Philly is fixed by contract, not by ad money or ratings.

well in at least some markets the rsn's are owned in part by the teams so you would think that wider distribution means more income??? So while comcrap per se might not wand csn phil everywhere the phillies, who I think own a chunk would. AFAIK the cubs, sox, bulls and blackhawks own maybe 80% of csn chicago.

#1266 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,264 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 20 May 2011 - 09:30 AM

well in at least some markets the rsn's are owned in part by the teams so you would think that wider distribution means more income??? So while comcrap per se might not wand csn phil everywhere the phillies, who I think own a chunk would. AFAIK the cubs, sox, bulls and blackhawks own maybe 80% of csn chicago.

Depends on how the contracts are written and how moneys are shared. I don't know how the CSN Chicago money works. If the teams split the money/profit or they get a set amount. I do know that when CSN Chicago went on line, the teams insisted that it be available to everyone. However, that is not the same as CSN Philly. It is not that the local teams own the channel with Comcast so their interest ends there. It is that Comcast owns the teams so they can look at what they think is the greater good for Comcast as a whole.

I think they are wrong but corporate Comcast thinks they are better off by keeping CSN Philly more or less to themselves. The teams are just a division of the corporate entity so while they may want more exposure, those fights stay inside.
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV

#1267 OFFLINE   spaul

spaul

Godfather

• Registered
  • 264 posts

Posted 20 May 2011 - 02:06 PM

Just a follow up since Comcast owns the Sixers and the Flyers it is a mute point but, the Phillies should definitely take a long hard look when thier contract runs out.Plus the Phillies could pressure Comcast to make the games more available because,the Phillies mean more money then the 2 teams they own.Maybe in the future the Phillies will do this or strike a new deal or start their own network some how.I know it is a nice thought in closing Domnick Brown was called up hopefully to be played a lot not riding the bench since 4 out of 5 games Phils have been wasting great pitching efforts.

#1268 OFFLINE   JoeTheDragon

JoeTheDragon

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,145 posts

Posted 20 May 2011 - 02:36 PM

Depends on how the contracts are written and how moneys are shared. I don't know how the CSN Chicago money works. If the teams split the money/profit or they get a set amount. I do know that when CSN Chicago went on line, the teams insisted that it be available to everyone. However, that is not the same as CSN Philly. It is not that the local teams own the channel with Comcast so their interest ends there. It is that Comcast owns the teams so they can look at what they think is the greater good for Comcast as a whole.

I think they are wrong but corporate Comcast thinks they are better off by keeping CSN Philly more or less to themselves. The teams are just a division of the corporate entity so while they may want more exposure, those fights stay inside.

also CSN Chicago area covers non comcast areas and in some places like parts of WI it's only on dish or directv as time Warner in WI does not have CSN Chicago but they do have Chicago OTA channels in SD and WGN 9 SD only no wgn america in the areas that have WGN 9 SD.

The teams pulled out of FSN to get more control.

Also the cubs for a short time had some non network games on CLTV (pre cocmast days cable only and that failed) and they moved to FSN and some games on CLTV then where FSN + games and where on non cable systems as FSN / FSN + games.

Also pay sports started as a PAY UHF channels hear but when they moved from UHF to cable they where also on C-band as well and later dish , direct, prime star and others.

Wrigley Field has Directv as well alot of roof tops.

#1269 OFFLINE   wilbur_the_goose

wilbur_the_goose

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,390 posts

Posted 20 May 2011 - 04:08 PM

spaul - last time I looked, the Phillies own 1/3 of CSN-Philly. They're not going anywhere.

#1270 OFFLINE   spaul

spaul

Godfather

• Registered
  • 264 posts

Posted 21 May 2011 - 07:58 AM

Wibur that might be said but, with 1/3 say the Phillies should be concern in the ten of thousands viewers like me that are out there.They certainly can use pressure to see the advantage of adding this many viewers in numbers and dollars .

#1271 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,264 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 21 May 2011 - 08:31 AM

Wibur that might be said but, with 1/3 say the Phillies should be concern in the ten of thousands viewers like me that are out there.They certainly can use pressure to see the advantage of adding this many viewers in numbers and dollars .

But what is really in it for the phillies? They sell out the ballpark. They sell tons of merchandise. They must be satisfied with the money they get. Without the backing of the other teams what leverage do they really have?

#1272 OFFLINE   wilbur_the_goose

wilbur_the_goose

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,390 posts

Posted 21 May 2011 - 05:08 PM

spaul - the Phillies don't care. Their focus is on what they call "The Tri-State Region". Trust me, I contact them every year about this issue.

#1273 OFFLINE   spaul

spaul

Godfather

• Registered
  • 264 posts

Posted 30 May 2011 - 10:12 AM

Just thought I would share this with everybody .While at my near by Best Buy to check on something and to pick up printer supplies yesterday.I was approached by a Comcast sales rep,he started by asking me if I had Comcast .My response was no I have better Directv and very happy since Sept 2006.He asked if i used DSL for internet which was yes and explained how I went back to DSL after getting rid of Comcast altogether .When he stated that was a while ago and could see is trying to sell me with that i said no way found out that how inferior Comcast equipment and picture quality was after switching.When I said how they can,t compare now with multi room viewing from my DVR as welkl as its hard drive too.I enjoyed my self this must happen to me 2-3 times when I am in a electronic store during the year.Hope everyone has a great holiday and do remember our past and present service people that defended our country.

#1274 OFFLINE   la24philly

la24philly

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,708 posts

Posted 30 May 2011 - 11:24 AM

i wonder if C is planning to reduce its rates lol End of July could be the End of Days for C once this new NBC sports philly starts and is on D

#1275 OFFLINE   la24philly

la24philly

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,708 posts

Posted 30 May 2011 - 11:37 AM

http://www.philebrit...s-philadelphia/

they call nbc 10 nbc philadelphia now and its been about over a year since they used taht name.

nbc sports philadelphia now will be apart of it now as well.

i wonder if will see John clark and Vai now on NBC sports philadelphia

this all scheduled to start in late july so will see

#1276 OFFLINE   espnjason

espnjason

Armchair Referee

• Registered
  • 529 posts

Posted 30 May 2011 - 12:56 PM

I normally just let the cable sales reps run their mouth before I mention to them that I am a DirecTV customer and as such I won't be interested in cable anytime soon.

-----

I already heard that Ebersol is leaving Comcast-NBCU already due to a contract dispute.

I wonder if it would have any effect on the newfound NBC RSNs including Philly. Heaven forbid Brian Roberts becomes President of NBC Sports, then everyone that has D* or E* in "Xfinity" markets would be screwed, not just Philly.

#1277 OFFLINE   JoeTheDragon

JoeTheDragon

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,145 posts

Posted 30 May 2011 - 01:09 PM

I normally just let the cable sales reps run their mouth before I mention to them that I am a DirecTV customer and as such I won't be interested in cable anytime soon.

-----

I already heard that Ebersol is leaving Comcast-NBCU already due to a contract dispute.

I wonder if it would have any effect on the newfound NBC RSNs including Philly. Heaven forbid Brian Roberts becomes President of NBC Sports, then everyone that has D* or E* in "Xfinity" markets would be screwed, not just Philly.

Well maybe not as at least Chicago as the teams own 80% and it covers some areas where there are no Comcast cable systems don't have it or have it in SD only or just have CSN HD and no CSN + HD.

#1278 OFFLINE   espnjason

espnjason

Armchair Referee

• Registered
  • 529 posts

Posted 30 May 2011 - 01:26 PM

Well maybe not as at least Chicago as the teams own 80% and it covers some areas where there are no Comcast cable systems don't have it or have it in SD only or just have CSN HD and no CSN + HD.

That may be the only saving grace.

In Philly's case I hope Spectacor (76ers, Flyers, CSN-Philly) gets spun off by Comcast soon so the scenario would at least be the same as Chicago is at this point in time.

Subscribed to DirecTV for NFL Sunday Ticket, remained a subscriber for international football.

#1279 OFFLINE   wilbur_the_goose

wilbur_the_goose

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,390 posts

Posted 30 May 2011 - 01:51 PM

WCAU has been "nbc 10 Philadelphia" ever since the KYW/WCAU swap several years ago.

You really think WCAU has anything to do with CSN-Philly?

PS - WCAU is typical NBC cheapness - they don't even have a decent news studio - they just have a LCD HDTV on a table with black tape over the brand name for their sports coverage. KYW and WPVI are much more professional.

#1280 OFFLINE   la24philly

la24philly

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,708 posts

Posted 30 May 2011 - 04:48 PM

WCAU has been "nbc 10 Philadelphia" ever since the KYW/WCAU swap several years ago.

You really think WCAU has anything to do with CSN-Philly?

PS - WCAU is typical NBC cheapness - they don't even have a decent news studio - they just have a LCD HDTV on a table with black tape over the brand name for their sports coverage. KYW and WPVI are much more professional.

I know the swap happened over a decade ago. What I meant was, everything was nbc 10, every news cast, or any local show was nbc10 thats it.

last year or 2 they dropped the 10 and its nbcphiladelphia

even the website, when u type nbc10.com in it is nbcphiladelphia the 10 is dropped.

now the same thing seems to be happening when CSN gets renamed.

I wonder if there will be some inter action with

nbcphiladelphia and nbc sports philadelphia, interactions with sports anchors from both, etc.

spam firewall