Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
* * * * - 1 votes

Comcast Philadelphia

• Please log in to reply
2383 replies to this topic

#1341 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,432 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 30 June 2011 - 06:45 AM

well CSN is alot better then NBC.

also CSN chicago may run to issues with a NBC named channel saying the next game is on WGN or WCIU.

Kind of like TNT saying the next NBA game is on ESPN? Or when Jay Leno has a guest on from American Idol?

You are getting too worked up over OTA network names. Comcast is just as much of a competitor to Fox as NBC is.
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#1342 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 31,650 posts

Posted 30 June 2011 - 07:45 AM

The bottom line is that Comcast, which has always operated with a chip on their shoulder, is now a mega-monopoly of various content.

As a regular traveler to Philly for a decade, I routinely see the swagger with which Comcast portrays themselves to the public. The more recent approval of the FCC to take ownership of Universal /NBC simply fuels their attitude.

While the acquisition has several compliance mandates for pricing, they do not seem to have alot of teeth behind them.

If history is any teacher....don't look for Comcast to relinquish any of their content for anything less than a premium price...and even then...reluctantly.
DBSTalk CHAT ROOM MODERATOR
DirecTV Customer Since 1996

#1343 OFFLINE   spaul

spaul

Godfather

• Registered
  • 264 posts

Posted 30 June 2011 - 06:08 PM

Comcast will never get it as far as I am concerned some people are right that CSN Phila will ever make it to Directv .This being said Comcast thinks just a paint job with their name change is enough to keep customers.Far from it once you have seen how much better system and equipment is compared with theirs being with directv since 09/2006.I have been this long without the games and won,t go back to them and their terrible service and boxes.Excuse my occasional rant on this .

#1344 OFFLINE   jpl

jpl

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,764 posts

Posted 01 July 2011 - 06:05 AM

The bottom line is that Comcast, which has always operated with a chip on their shoulder, is now a mega-monopoly of various content.

As a regular traveler to Philly for a decade, I routinely see the swagger with which Comcast portrays themselves to the public. The more recent approval of the FCC to take ownership of Universal /NBC simply fuels their attitude.

While the acquisition has several compliance mandates for pricing, they do not seem to have alot of teeth behind them.

If history is any teacher....don't look for Comcast to relinquish any of their content for anything less than a premium price...and even then...reluctantly.

As someone who lives in the area, I have to say... I fully agree with you about Comcast's attitude in the region. Which is why they are probably the most reviled company by folks within their own backyard. I know very few people who actually like Comcast service around here. Many tolerate them because they can't get FiOS (because of where they live) and don't want to go with a dish - some stick with them out of pure intertia. But out of everyone I know I can honestly only remember one person (my wife's cousin) who has ever said anything nice about Comcast's service.

Some can't switch fast enough - when DirecTV started carrying locals in the Philly market, we couldn't drop Comcast fast enough - we actually had an argument over who would get to call Comcast to get the pleasure of telling them to drop dead.

All that being said, your final point (I don't believe) is correct. The point is - Comcast will have no choice. DirecTV (once all the legal nonsense is over) will go to the FCC saying 'we need to have CSN Philly... not having it is hurting us in the region.' The FCC will force Comcast to give the channel over - they will have no choice. And to me it's not a question of 'if' DirecTV will get the channel... but a question of 'how fast will the FCC force Comcast's hand after DirecTV files the request for it.' As for pricing - again, they can't do that. They are simply not allowed to play those games. They have to price the channel right in line with how they price it for other providers. CableVision tried playing those games with their Rainbow channels (even MSG SD) against Verizon and had their heads smacked by the FCC so fast and so hard, that you could almost hear it. The same will happen to Comcast if they try to play those games with DirecTV. Again, to me it's not a question of 'if', but 'when'.

#1345 OFFLINE   la24philly

la24philly

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,708 posts

Posted 01 July 2011 - 06:32 AM

As someone who lives in the area, I have to say... I fully agree with you about Comcast's attitude in the region. Which is why they are probably the most reviled company by folks within their own backyard. I know very few people who actually like Comcast service around here. Many tolerate them because they can't get FiOS (because of where they live) and don't want to go with a dish - some stick with them out of pure intertia. But out of everyone I know I can honestly only remember one person (my wife's cousin) who has ever said anything nice about Comcast's service.

Some can't switch fast enough - when DirecTV started carrying locals in the Philly market, we couldn't drop Comcast fast enough - we actually had an argument over who would get to call Comcast to get the pleasure of telling them to drop dead.

All that being said, your final point (I don't believe) is correct. The point is - Comcast will have no choice. DirecTV (once all the legal nonsense is over) will go to the FCC saying 'we need to have CSN Philly... not having it is hurting us in the region.' The FCC will force Comcast to give the channel over - they will have no choice. And to me it's not a question of 'if' DirecTV will get the channel... but a question of 'how fast will the FCC force Comcast's hand after DirecTV files the request for it.' As for pricing - again, they can't do that. They are simply not allowed to play those games. They have to price the channel right in line with how they price it for other providers. CableVision tried playing those games with their Rainbow channels (even MSG SD) against Verizon and had their heads smacked by the FCC so fast and so hard, that you could almost hear it. The same will happen to Comcast if they try to play those games with DirecTV. Again, to me it's not a question of 'if', but 'when'.

NBC 10 news last night comcast

reveiled 2 new things they are planning to launch,

1 A HD camera taht goes above your tv and a wifi box and your skype will allow HD crystal calls on your Tv. plans to launch by end 2011

the other the brand new TV GUIDE they showed a demo looks good, not sure if that will improve the channels or theyre getting new equipment. Launch 2012

so I'm not sure if all of a sudden comcast knows it has to share it system taht they might now get new equipment, put it sports subscription package chanels in HD

but i think they feel now alot of people will be leaving.

JPL your right, will , and most of us who live in the philly area. Not if, only when, I hope that when VS has its new name end of this month after the tour de france im guessing is when they will do it.

VS and all of the CSN's are expected to have the new NBC sports name at that point.

I just hope that comcast doesnt try any more delaying topics.

they already lost there appeal, they really have no choice, unless they keep dealying and force directv or dish to file a complaint.

only thing I'll be keeping from comcast is the internet which will be 60, but no one has anything better.

it will be nice not paying a 230 cable bill to comcast.

if all goes well, about what 5 million people live in this region directv probably will be adding new customers.

#1346 OFFLINE   oldengineer

oldengineer

Godfather

• Registered
  • 455 posts

Posted 01 July 2011 - 07:13 AM

I'm seriously thinking of switching from D* to E* to take advantage of the new customer perks and save a little cash. This issue is holding me back because of E*'s record of dealing with RSNs. My nightmare is that I switch and 2 days later Comcast caves, DirecTv signs up and Dish doesn't. I save some $ with satellite but I'm still paying my cableco for CSN and TCN.

2H/1J

#1347 OFFLINE   la24philly

la24philly

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,708 posts

Posted 01 July 2011 - 07:20 AM

I'm seriously thinking of switching from D* to E* to take advantage of the new customer perks and save a little cash. This issue is holding me back because of E*'s record of dealing with RSNs. My nightmare is that I switch and 2 days later Comcast caves, DirecTv signs up and Dish doesn't. I save some $ with satellite but I'm still paying my cableco for CSN and TCN.

can you wait until say end of sept, will have a better idea when CSN will beon sat.

i would say defeinatly by start of the flyers season .

you waited this long all these years, lets wait a few more after the summer and then make your choice.

trust me those satellite deals will still be there.

#1348 OFFLINE   FramundaCheeze

FramundaCheeze

Legend

• Registered
  • 106 posts

Posted 01 July 2011 - 07:33 AM

NBC 10 news last night comcast

reveiled 2 new things they are planning to launch,

1 A HD camera taht goes above your tv and a wifi box and your skype will allow HD crystal calls on your Tv. plans to launch by end 2011

the other the brand new TV GUIDE they showed a demo looks good, not sure if that will improve the channels or theyre getting new equipment. Launch 2012

so I'm not sure if all of a sudden comcast knows it has to share it system taht they might now get new equipment, put it sports subscription package chanels in HD

but i think they feel now alot of people will be leaving.

JPL your right, will , and most of us who live in the philly area. Not if, only when, I hope that when VS has its new name end of this month after the tour de france im guessing is when they will do it.

VS and all of the CSN's are expected to have the new NBC sports name at that point.

I just hope that comcast doesnt try any more delaying topics.

they already lost there appeal, they really have no choice, unless they keep dealying and force directv or dish to file a complaint.

only thing I'll be keeping from comcast is the internet which will be 60, but no one has anything better.

it will be nice not paying a 230 cable bill to comcast.

if all goes well, about what 5 million people live in this region directv probably will be adding new customers.

Don't even keep C* for internet. I already ditched them for Clear two years ago. 6mbps service and phone for $55 a month. Just like satellite, no other fees besides taxes. Directv has also partnered with Clear. If you call D* to sign up with Clear, you'll get a $5 credit for a year!

#1349 OFFLINE   la24philly

la24philly

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,708 posts

Posted 01 July 2011 - 10:39 AM

great, is clear good or better then C.

prior to C I had Verizon high speed and phone and the internet sucked, because they went through the phone line.

I've heard mix motions about Clear and didn't really know if they are good or not.

I will probably make the switch.

with having a cell phone, and magic jack the land phone line is useless.

i didn't know D has a deal with clear though that will be cool.

I'll be in Dallas from the 14-28, so I'll probably cancel C completely when I get back and have Clear setup.

#1350 OFFLINE   KAL

KAL

Godfather

• Registered
  • 306 posts

Posted 01 July 2011 - 11:12 AM

I have Comcast 50/10 service for $70 a month and really like it. Of course, now that FIOS has finally entered my neighborhood, I might be swtiching soon.

#1351 OFFLINE   FramundaCheeze

FramundaCheeze

Legend

• Registered
  • 106 posts

Posted 01 July 2011 - 12:48 PM

great, is clear good or better then C.

prior to C I had Verizon high speed and phone and the internet sucked, because they went through the phone line.

I've heard mix motions about Clear and didn't really know if they are good or not.

I will probably make the switch.

with having a cell phone, and magic jack the land phone line is useless.

i didn't know D has a deal with clear though that will be cool.

I'll be in Dallas from the 14-28, so I'll probably cancel C completely when I get back and have Clear setup.

Hey LA, check Clear's web site and enter your address. Make sure you are in a dark green area in the coverage map. Most of the city is covered now since they are jumping on all of Sprints towers. It works great. The only concern would be for online gaming. I got a lot of lag using a wireless router o my PS3. I hardwired it works MUCH better now. Aside from that, 6 mbps is fine for web surfing, email, youtube, etc...

#1352 OFFLINE   la24philly

la24philly

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,708 posts

Posted 01 July 2011 - 01:05 PM

ill check it out

#1353 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 31,650 posts

Posted 01 July 2011 - 01:56 PM

All that being said, your final point (I don't believe) is correct. The point is - Comcast will have no choice. DirecTV (once all the legal nonsense is over) will go to the FCC saying 'we need to have CSN Philly... not having it is hurting us in the region.' The FCC will force Comcast to give the channel over - they will have no choice.

I would love to be totally wrong on the second point, but having followed the FCC actions for years, they operate with alot of bark and little bite. At the end of the day, they have repeatedly wussed out at strong enforcement of much of anything.

I'd love to be wrong on this...but will wait and see.
DBSTalk CHAT ROOM MODERATOR
DirecTV Customer Since 1996

#1354 OFFLINE   la24philly

la24philly

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,708 posts

Posted 01 July 2011 - 03:37 PM

i would think that when FCC approved the deal in jan, that they told comcast if you try any crap, that they would come down hard.

i'm guessing the end of july is when they had this all planned the FCC and comcast about releasing the NBC sports channels to all.

#1355 OFFLINE   spaul

spaul

Godfather

• Registered
  • 264 posts

Posted 01 July 2011 - 06:36 PM

La24philly from your lips to Gods ears .Go Phillies,Sixers ,Eagles and Flyers.

#1356 OFFLINE   la24philly

la24philly

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,708 posts

Posted 02 July 2011 - 12:32 PM

im a devil worshiper

#1357 OFFLINE   KAL

KAL

Godfather

• Registered
  • 306 posts

Posted 02 July 2011 - 01:04 PM

:lol:

#1358 OFFLINE   la24philly

la24philly

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,708 posts

Posted 06 July 2011 - 04:30 PM

If NBC delays in renaming Vs does taht mean that will delay the launch of all the CSN's that are suppose to be come NBC sports net or whatever they will call it.

I know they are 2 different topics, but I assume that the idea was when VS gets relaunched to NBC VS that CSN's would also follow.

#1359 OFFLINE   la24philly

la24philly

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,708 posts

Posted 06 July 2011 - 04:33 PM

Also a friend of mind is relocating to philly in august. He will be getting directv.

I don't have the exact date yet. but if someone wants a referral PM me the info needed and I'll pass it to him when he moves and sets up his installation.

I never used the referrall so I'm not sure what you need but, if hes signing up why not help 1 good dbs citizen with a few bucks. first come first serve

#1360 OFFLINE   dstout

dstout

Legend

• Registered
  • 267 posts

Posted 12 July 2011 - 08:49 PM

Comcast reaches agreement to sell Philadelphia 76ers

It also was reported earlier this month that Comcast's regional sports network in Philadelphia would continue to own the Sixers' media rights

http://www.poconorec...9935/-1/NEWSMAP

spam firewall