Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
* * * * - 1 votes

Comcast Philadelphia

• Please log in to reply
2383 replies to this topic

#121 OFFLINE   la24philly

la24philly

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,708 posts

Posted 27 March 2010 - 09:24 AM

Over the past 10 years and much debating and yapping on many threads on this site of when CSN philly will be on D and finally it will happen.

Is their an actual launch date no. that has not been announced. but below finally paves the way.

ON MARCH 12 COMCAST WAS IN AN APPEALS COURT HEARING AND BELOW IS THE OUTCOME.

http://www.multichan...ss_Decision.php

if the site above doesnt open or works. go to www.multichannel.com then in the search engine type comcast will not appeal and the first link that pops up is the 3/12/10 court hearing and thats the same info that is below.

Comcast Will Not Appeal Program-Access Decision

Comcast will not challenge Friday's court decision upholding the Federal Communication Commission's program- access rules.

"We will not appeal," said a Comcast spokeswoman.

Edited by Doug Brott, 27 March 2010 - 02:34 PM.
removed most of Copyrighted article

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#122 OFFLINE   dvdmth

dvdmth

Icon

• Registered
  • 990 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 27 March 2010 - 10:50 AM

I don't think that ruling addresses the closing of the terrestrial loophole, which Comcast said they will fight. I would not call CSN Philly on satellite imminent, though we are closer now than we were a few months ago.

#123 OFFLINE   jpl

jpl

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,756 posts

Posted 27 March 2010 - 01:04 PM

I don't think that ruling addresses the closing of the terrestrial loophole, which Comcast said they will fight. I would not call CSN Philly on satellite imminent, though we are closer now than we were a few months ago.

It doesn't. This is a separate decision that was handed down with regard to programming. The FCC extended a ban on preventing feeds of proprietary programming... CV and Comcast fought it... the court held in favor of the FCC and Comcast decided not to press that matter further. This case isn't about the loophole. As has been posted elsewhere, the FCC agreed to sorta close the loophole, but that decision is currently under appeal by CV and Comcast (the FCC allows for an appeal period). Once that's done, it's most definitely going to the courts - since the loophole was created from legislation, there's some concern that the FCC doesn't have the authority to just close it like that. Undoubtedly CV and Comcast will argue that the FCC overstepped its bounds and the regulatory change (closing the loophole) would therefore be unconstitutional. We'll see where that goes.

#124 OFFLINE   la24philly

la24philly

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,708 posts

Posted 27 March 2010 - 01:41 PM

does comcast release csn to directv, it the fcc approves of the nbc merger?

will see where it goes, but why did comcast choose not to pursue comcast says they wont appeal according to the hearing on 3/12

#125 OFFLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,927 posts
  • LocationDripping Springs, TX

Posted 27 March 2010 - 01:56 PM

Even if whatever law Comcast used is repealed, changed, whatever, doesn't matter if Comcast and DirecTV don't come to terms to carry CSN Philly you won't see it.

Edited by RAD, 27 March 2010 - 02:46 PM.

See post My Setup for configuration info.

#126 OFFLINE   Doug Brott

Doug Brott

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 28,912 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 27 March 2010 - 02:38 PM

Hopefully this issue can get resolved soon. Comcast certainly has more incentive now to work with DIRECTV.
DIRECTV Firmware Monitor - iPhone - Android - HTML5

DIRECTV employee since August 2011.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#127 OFFLINE   Grafixguy

Grafixguy

Godfather

• Registered
  • 376 posts

Posted 27 March 2010 - 03:17 PM

does comcast release csn to directv, it the fcc approves of the nbc merger?

will see where it goes, but why did comcast choose not to pursue comcast says they wont appeal according to the hearing on 3/12

The merger is totally unrelated to this matter.

They chose not to pursue it because there was no point in pursuing it. What did they have to gain?

The terrestrial loophole is new battle to focus on...one I'll be surprised if they don't fight all the way to the supreme court.

#128 OFFLINE   JoeTheDragon

JoeTheDragon

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,146 posts

Posted 27 March 2010 - 06:39 PM

It doesn't. This is a separate decision that was handed down with regard to programming. The FCC extended a ban on preventing feeds of proprietary programming... CV and Comcast fought it... the court held in favor of the FCC and Comcast decided not to press that matter further. This case isn't about the loophole. As has been posted elsewhere, the FCC agreed to sorta close the loophole, but that decision is currently under appeal by CV and Comcast (the FCC allows for an appeal period). Once that's done, it's most definitely going to the courts - since the loophole was created from legislation, there's some concern that the FCC doesn't have the authority to just close it like that. Undoubtedly CV and Comcast will argue that the FCC overstepped its bounds and the regulatory change (closing the loophole) would therefore be unconstitutional. We'll see where that goes.

But how far will comcast push?? to far may just cost them nbc or maybe be foreced to sell all channels at the same rate as in house rate.
I want CLTV / CLTV HD on direct tv.

#129 OFFLINE   oldengineer

oldengineer

Godfather

• Registered
  • 455 posts

Posted 28 March 2010 - 10:36 AM

If Comcast ever loses the right to exclude CSN from D* and E* they would lose many thousands of customers in the Philly area. Their customer satisfaction rating is very low and they have gone so far as to rename themselves as Exfinity or something like that.

Anecdote:
My daughter in MD had Comcast cable several years ago. She got a new HDTV the day before Thanksgiving and wanted to add NFL Network to watch the first Thursday night game. When she tried to activate the NFL Network channel it froze her box solid. We drove 30 miles to replace the box and the new box did exactly the same thing. We went out on Thanksgiving morning and signed up for FIOS.

2H/1J

#130 OFFLINE   la24philly

la24philly

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,708 posts

Posted 28 March 2010 - 02:11 PM

i would love to hopefully eliminate comcast. i hate paying for 2 tv services.

im paying comcast 40 bucks for 2 channels. csn and tcn.

your box froze when trying to watch nfl network? thats strange.

verizon carrys all the DC stations right? csn mid atlantic and masn.

do caps or wizards games appear on CN8 that is now TCN do you guys get that down in the dc area? if so does verizon show those games.

#131 OFFLINE   domf3962

domf3962

• Registered
  • 5 posts

Posted 29 March 2010 - 10:42 AM

la24philly i also live in philly and have been double dipping services since 1999.

I have RCN cable phone internet for 75 a month plus Two HD DVRS from DTV for a total of 150 a month which o think is not to bad considering how much my neighbors pay for comcrap some are paying around 250 for the all choice package.

But i love my DTV for the sports NFL ticket, NHL CI there is just more HD IMO.

Any way I am like most philadelphians are keeping a close eye on this CSN issue. I Cant wait jsut to pay for one service. Hoefully soon.

#132 OFFLINE   la24philly

la24philly

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,708 posts

Posted 29 March 2010 - 12:13 PM

i also noticed that games are appearing on TCN alot more then ever.

the first 2 weeks i see like 5 games phillies are on TCN flyers sixers each had about 15 games each on TCN.

IF directv does get it. I hope they provide the alternate sports channel on the sports pack. i hope they will only used TCN for when the games are on.

#133 OFFLINE   la24philly

la24philly

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,708 posts

Posted 29 March 2010 - 12:19 PM

comcast told me in my area

that they charge 230 a month for TV INTERNET AND PHONE

IT INCLUDES HD DVR ALL THE CHANNELS EXCEPT SPORTS SUBSCRIPTIONS.

ALSO INCLUDES 4 BOXES AND TAXES.

THEY CHARGE AN ARM AN A LEG.

230 A MONTH I CAN AFFORD FLYERS AND PHILLIES SEASON TIX LOL.

WHAT ALSO SUCKS IS NHL CENTER ICE, MLB EI, AND NBA LP THEY DONT OFFER THOSE GAMES IN hd IN MY AREA.

thats why i have both tv services.

i have D TV for everything every sports and in HD.

as said i only have comcast for CSN HD and TCN HD

#134 OFFLINE   domf3962

domf3962

• Registered
  • 5 posts

Posted 29 March 2010 - 04:22 PM

Well with RCN I only have digital hooked up through my TV input. just a few clicks from HDMI to TV i watch the Flyers and Phills. But I dont get TCN. I can live with that. I have HBO and all sports through DTV.

Its the best. I would never go full time comcast ever.

Also there will be around 50 or so phills games on wphl and fox this year so thats more HD.

On another forum i read that all channels will have to go on DTV when they officially get the signal. Man i am hoping.

#135 OFFLINE   scoop8

scoop8

Godfather

• Registered
  • 482 posts
  • LocationDallas TX

Posted 29 March 2010 - 04:41 PM

comcast told me in my area

that they charge 230 a month for TV INTERNET AND PHONE

IT INCLUDES HD DVR ALL THE CHANNELS EXCEPT SPORTS SUBSCRIPTIONS.

ALSO INCLUDES 4 BOXES AND TAXES.

THEY CHARGE AN ARM AN A LEG.

230 A MONTH I CAN AFFORD FLYERS AND PHILLIES SEASON TIX LOL.

WHAT ALSO SUCKS IS NHL CENTER ICE, MLB EI, AND NBA LP THEY DONT OFFER THOSE GAMES IN hd IN MY AREA.

thats why i have both tv services.

i have D TV for everything every sports and in HD.

as said i only have comcast for CSN HD and TCN HD

Man, I feel for you guys in Philly. I'm a long way south from you all (Dallas) but I'm not a Comcast fan at all for more reasons than the CSN Philly issue.
DirecTV Subs since '99 - Currently out of contract
Prog Svc: DTV Premier Pkg, NFL ST, MLB EI, CI
Dish: Slimline 5LNB
Receivers: HD-DVR HR22-100, HD H23-600
Display: PANNY Plasma TH50PZ85U
DVD Player: Std Upconvert Region-Free Pioneer DV-400V

#136 OFFLINE   wilbur_the_goose

wilbur_the_goose

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,390 posts

Posted 29 March 2010 - 05:22 PM

Simple - become a Reading Phillies fan (AA-league). Tickets are <$10 and the games are a blast. Then watch the Phils on WPHL. Boycott Com - sorry - xfinity.

(We need a new slam slogan for xfinity... How about xfullofity?)

#137 OFFLINE   la24philly

la24philly

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,708 posts

Posted 30 March 2010 - 09:12 AM

I hope that when directv does get CSN philly that, they broadcast just the games on TCN only the games as an alternate feed.

comcast shows about 12 sixers flyers, and about 8 phillies on TCN.

I have to imagine that if they bring on csn that they would ask for that.

#138 OFFLINE   la24philly

la24philly

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,708 posts

Posted 30 March 2010 - 10:24 AM

good name wil

#139 OFFLINE   n3ntj

n3ntj

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,694 posts

Posted 30 March 2010 - 03:25 PM

The lastest Verizon FiOS ad I saw last night on MASN HD was pretty funny. They make fun of Xfinity and Comcrap. Something like "we're a new cable company called Xfinity.. nope, same old Comcrap". Something else that I noticed that if you look closely, the commercial had a graphical comparison of customer satisfaction numbers for Verizon FiOS and Comcrap.

Verizon was 49% and Comcrap was 12%. The funny part is that Verizon's customer satisfaction number is less than half of their customers and it's a Verizon commercial. You'd think they wouldn't even use that info since it's showing that less than half of Verizon customers rate the company highly.

I had to RW and pause it to read the graph slide in the commercial. My wife even got a kick out of that when I showed it to her.
HD Snob - "Friends Don't Let Friends Watch Cable".
Electrical/RF Engineer & Inspector
DirecTV Equipment: HR24-200, HR24-100, 5LNB Slimline, AM21, SWiM 8 installed (MRV)
HR-2x Configuration: Native OFF. Units OFF when not in use.
TVs: 2 Panasonic Plasma TV's each using HDMI (one 1080p/one 720p)
DirecTV customer since 1998. Plus HD DVR package w/ NHL Center Ice & MLB Extra Innings.
OTA Antenna: Homebrew UHF & VHF antennas w/ 30dB amplifier fed w/ RG-6 Quad-shield coax.

#140 OFFLINE   jlosh

jlosh

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 18 posts

Posted 09 April 2010 - 03:41 PM

I feel like a little kid asking "are we there yet?" over and over, but is there any new news on this whole situation?

spam firewall