Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
* * * * - 1 votes

Comcast Philadelphia

• Please log in to reply
2383 replies to this topic

#1481 OFFLINE   la24philly

la24philly

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,708 posts

Posted 03 September 2011 - 03:25 PM

I'm only reporting what happened this week, it's news one way or the other.

I didn't make any of this up. I have phone numbers, names and the company i was talking with all week. I'm trying to get to the bottom of this. I want nbc sports philly on directv asap and will keep diging if i have to.

I have both tech's name and supervisor, phone numbers.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#1482 OFFLINE   FramundaCheeze

FramundaCheeze

Legend

• Registered
  • 106 posts

Posted 03 September 2011 - 09:33 PM

Nice.....CSN Philly feed on 471 tonight for Union / Salt Lake game..

Such a tease!:sure:

#1483 OFFLINE   loveshockey

loveshockey

Godfather

• Registered
  • 359 posts
  • LocationLancaster, NY

Posted 03 September 2011 - 10:58 PM

Can someone help me find the IGNORE option...this la24philly guy just keeps posting bullsh*t

#1484 OFFLINE   loveshockey

loveshockey

Godfather

• Registered
  • 359 posts
  • LocationLancaster, NY

Posted 03 September 2011 - 10:59 PM

nevermind...found it...

#1485 OFFLINE   bwaldron

bwaldron

Impossible Dreamer

• Registered
  • 5,517 posts

Posted 04 September 2011 - 08:06 AM

im not posting rumors, im posting what happened this week involving directv. What you choose to believe is your choice. I also posted feeback from both the tecs that came out and from the company they work for.

I'll agree with others. You really shouldn't bother posting (or believing, actually) this stuff. If something is truly going to happen, we'll find out about it from SatRacer or another trusted source.

:)

HR23-700 --> Samsung UN65F6350AF LCD
HR23-700 --> JVC JLC47BC3002 LCD
H24-200 -->
Panasonic TH-50PX60U plasma

#1486 OFFLINE   n3ntj

n3ntj

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,697 posts

Posted 04 September 2011 - 02:42 PM

Can someone help me find the IGNORE option...this la24philly guy just keeps posting bullsh*t

:lol:
HD Snob - "Friends Don't Let Friends Watch Cable".
Electrical/RF Engineer & Inspector
DirecTV Equipment: HR24-200, HR24-100, 5LNB Slimline, AM21, SWiM 8 installed (MRV)
HR-2x Configuration: Native OFF. Units OFF when not in use.
TVs: 2 Panasonic Plasma TV's each using HDMI (one 1080p/one 720p)
DirecTV customer since 1998. Plus HD DVR package w/ NHL Center Ice & MLB Extra Innings.
OTA Antenna: Homebrew UHF & VHF antennas w/ 30dB amplifier fed w/ RG-6 Quad-shield coax.

#1487 OFFLINE   Ronmort

Ronmort

Godfather

• Registered
  • 286 posts

Posted 04 September 2011 - 05:31 PM

Last year a couple of guys created a hoax by writing a post that stated we were getting CSN-Phila in a few days. After a few days, their posts mysterious disappeared. I don't believe anyone until it's on DTV. As a matter of fact, I would like to see it on DTV, but I doubt it will ever happen. Comcast is powerful enough to ignore the government and keep it off the satellite. When that land line loophole BS was created, it goes to show how powerful Comcast is.

#1488 OFFLINE   marker101

marker101

Legend

• Registered
  • 157 posts

Posted 05 September 2011 - 05:30 AM

I went to a tarot card reader, and she said that Dish Network would be getting CSN Philly next month. :rolleyes:

This thread is seriously pathetic already. I've opted to say screw Comcast, and I have the At Bat app. I've gone back to radio with the Phillies. Yes, I get the occasional tease when games are on phl17 or on another regional RSN, but I don't even care about the TV broadcast anymore. I'll stick with DirecTV regardless.

#1489 ONLINE   sdk009

sdk009

Icon

• Registered
  • 655 posts
  • LocationStanislaus County Farmland

Posted 05 September 2011 - 09:55 AM

This thread is seriously pathetic already. I've opted to say screw Comcast,

I say that this thread be put on hiatus until somebody with real knowledge (Like SR) posts: "CSN Philly will begin on D* on XX/XX/XXXX."
Until then there really isn't anything of more that can be added to this topic.

#1490 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,282 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 05 September 2011 - 11:09 AM

I say that this thread be put on hiatus until somebody with real knowledge (Like SR) posts: "CSN Philly will begin on D* on XX/XX/XXXX."
Until then there really isn't anything of more that can be added to this topic.

Someone other than SR.
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

#1491 OFFLINE   gutshot74

gutshot74

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 23 posts

Posted 09 September 2011 - 04:58 PM

As a long-term subscriber to DirecTV in the greater Philadelphia area, here's my somewhat naive perspective.

One thing that's fact is that Comcast and NBC will be rebranding their sports networks to NBC. According to this article, it's basically fact. We don't know timing though, but we also know that on January 2, 2012 Versus will change to NBC Sports Network. (I am a new poster, I can't post the links to these because of that, but Google search on "Comcast NBC Rebrand" and you'll find all the necessary references).

If you're going to brand Versus as NBC Sports Network, that means to me that you're abandoning the "image" that was brought by Versus/Comcast SN's. That was an image of a younger demographic. NBC Sports brings an air of sophistication. You also increase the power of your product when you make these RSN's "NBC" branded.

Comcast/NBC will have something that ABC/ESPN lack...local impact. Yes, it would help the Comcast Cable provider to maintain "Comcast Sportsnet" names, but it's really only one or two markets. They've hung on a long time, but the ability to cross-promote the NBC brand is huge.

At that point, you still have the chance that Comcast/NBC would say, "Screw you DirecTV/Dish." I don't think this is prudent at the point where it becomes NBC Sports Philadelphia. You then have this stigma throughout the entire region towards a major network. There's definitely a segment that's pissed at Comcast, and they might just carry that over to NBC.

I really hope that the rebranding to NBC is the point where we gain final victory. I am not going to be surprised if it doesn't happen, because it's been a long time. I've long been surprised that their advertisers could hold out putting pressure on the Phillies, Sixers, and Flyers over this.

We've seen a couple of major shifts in the last couple of years in Philly sports, and I'm hoping we're near another. First the start of the ESPN Radio station, then the conquest of 94 WYSP by WIP. Maybe we're at the point where we see the giant buttwad end up in the toilet, and we finally obtain that which we deserve as fans.

#1492 OFFLINE   JoeTheDragon

JoeTheDragon

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,151 posts

Posted 09 September 2011 - 06:17 PM

As a long-term subscriber to DirecTV in the greater Philadelphia area, here's my somewhat naive perspective.

One thing that's fact is that Comcast and NBC will be rebranding their sports networks to NBC. According to this article, it's basically fact. We don't know timing though, but we also know that on January 2, 2012 Versus will change to NBC Sports Network. (I am a new poster, I can't post the links to these because of that, but Google search on "Comcast NBC Rebrand" and you'll find all the necessary references).

If you're going to brand Versus as NBC Sports Network, that means to me that you're abandoning the "image" that was brought by Versus/Comcast SN's. That was an image of a younger demographic. NBC Sports brings an air of sophistication. You also increase the power of your product when you make these RSN's "NBC" branded.

Comcast/NBC will have something that ABC/ESPN lack...local impact. Yes, it would help the Comcast Cable provider to maintain "Comcast Sportsnet" names, but it's really only one or two markets. They've hung on a long time, but the ability to cross-promote the NBC brand is huge.

At that point, you still have the chance that Comcast/NBC would say, "Screw you DirecTV/Dish." I don't think this is prudent at the point where it becomes NBC Sports Philadelphia. You then have this stigma throughout the entire region towards a major network. There's definitely a segment that's pissed at Comcast, and they might just carry that over to NBC.

I really hope that the rebranding to NBC is the point where we gain final victory. I am not going to be surprised if it doesn't happen, because it's been a long time. I've long been surprised that their advertisers could hold out putting pressure on the Phillies, Sixers, and Flyers over this.

We've seen a couple of major shifts in the last couple of years in Philly sports, and I'm hoping we're near another. First the start of the ESPN Radio station, then the conquest of 94 WYSP by WIP. Maybe we're at the point where we see the giant buttwad end up in the toilet, and we finally obtain that which we deserve as fans.

but with calling Versus NBC Sports Network and not NBC Sports Network one.

As call the RSN's NBC sports network (city / area name) makes it real easy to mess up vs people just thinking of the RSN as sports net or comcast.
I want CLTV / CLTV HD on direct tv.

#1493 OFFLINE   gutshot74

gutshot74

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 23 posts

Posted 09 September 2011 - 06:27 PM

As call the RSN's NBC sports network (city / area name) makes it real easy to mess up vs people just thinking of the RSN as sports net or comcast.

Dick Ebersol was quoted as to this structure. NBC Sports Philadelphia. Maybe they'll call it NBC Sportsnet Philadelphia, who knows? In any case, it sounds like this is going to happen eventually, and hopefully that spells the end to this lunacy. Otherwise the FCC needs to step in to enforce their own rules. "Good faith" my ass.

#1494 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,282 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 09 September 2011 - 07:58 PM

Do you find espn.com and espn.com/Chicago to be confusing? Same thing.

The channel ESPN is not called ESPN1.

If all the phillies games are on NBC Sports Philly, I think people will find them.
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

#1495 OFFLINE   JoeTheDragon

JoeTheDragon

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,151 posts

Posted 09 September 2011 - 08:05 PM

Do you find espn.com and espn.com/Chicago to be confusing? Same thing.

The channel ESPN is not called ESPN1.

If all the phillies games are on NBC Sports Philly, I think people will find them.

well there is no local ESPN channels other then the ESPN stuff on ABC but ABC is OTA and it's hard to mix them up.

#1496 OFFLINE   la24philly

la24philly

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,708 posts

Posted 10 September 2011 - 03:09 PM

http://www.sportsbus...ts-Network.aspx

The RSNs "will keep their Comcast SportsNet names," though NBC Sports Group Chair Mark Lazarus said that "most of the channels' on-screen graphics will evolve to eventually take on the look and feel of the NBC Sports Group

#1497 OFFLINE   gutshot74

gutshot74

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 23 posts

Posted 12 September 2011 - 11:12 AM

[
The RSNs "will keep their Comcast SportsNet names," though NBC Sports Group Chair Mark Lazarus said that "most of the channels' on-screen graphics will evolve to eventually take on the look and feel of the NBC Sports Group

At this point nothing will surprise me, as far as the action taken by all parties involved. I won't be surprised if the FCC has no teeth to fight this for the good of the citizens of the Delaware Valley. I've sent my letters and emails, and received my just desserts from those who are sworn to protect our interests. I'm at the point where I'd be willing to pay an extra $2/month on my DirecTV Sports Pack to receive the channel.

What I can't understand is how Comcast can whine about the Sunday Ticket, and yet they've been given access to Red Zone, which is a nice replacement for not having ST. But I've tried to reason in my letters to the FCC, they really don't care. They're a puppet organization that's run by people chosen by our President, who has received plenty of financial support from GE/Comcast/NBC.

In other words, bend over and take it like we always have.

#1498 OFFLINE   JoeTheDragon

JoeTheDragon

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,151 posts

Posted 12 September 2011 - 08:31 PM

At this point nothing will surprise me, as far as the action taken by all parties involved. I won't be surprised if the FCC has no teeth to fight this for the good of the citizens of the Delaware Valley. I've sent my letters and emails, and received my just desserts from those who are sworn to protect our interests. I'm at the point where I'd be willing to pay an extra $2/month on my DirecTV Sports Pack to receive the channel.

What I can't understand is how Comcast can whine about the Sunday Ticket, and yet they've been given access to Red Zone, which is a nice replacement for not having ST. But I've tried to reason in my letters to the FCC, they really don't care. They're a puppet organization that's run by people chosen by our President, who has received plenty of financial support from GE/Comcast/NBC.

In other words, bend over and take it like we always have.

But Comcast / cable I think had a chance to get Sunday ticket / mach the D* bid. But There are other points to the Sunday ticket

Under the law, that Comcast owns the networks it broadcasts*, while DirecTV doesn't own the Sunday Ticket network is a relevant distinctio*n. Of course, this distinctio*n is irrelevant to consumers. What difference does it make to consumers whether DirecTV purchases the exclusive right to broadcast NFL games themselves*, vs. purchasing the exclusive right to air NFL broadcasts of those games?

The big thing is Sunday ticket is not needed to get local games and D* has better coverage then cable. With CSN Philly you need get loacl games and out of market pack are on all systems and the Philly games are on them but blackout in Philly.

http://sports.espn.g...terbrook/071030

ow did the problematic Sunday Ticket monopoly arise? Here is a simplified chronology, parts of it as described by Hawkins. In the early 1980s, sports bars and some people who lived in rural areas began buying huge C-band dishes to pirate the network game feeds that then went out unscrambled. In 1987, the NFL drew up a plan to encrypt Sunday afternoon broadcasts and sell decoders to consumers, hoping that CBS and NBC (Fox did not then air the NFL) would market what eventually became Sunday Ticket. But CBS opposed the idea. In autumn, NFL broadcasts are the ratings drivers for the networks' local affiliates. The local affiliates feared that consumers switching away to distant games -- a viewer in, say, Atlanta choosing a broadcast from Seattle -- would dilute their ratings. This was especially important to CBS because its local affiliates rebate cash to the main network using a ratings formula; other networks accept in-kind advertising time from local affiliates.

Trumped by the CBS objection and "stepping lightly because maintaining relationships with the broadcast networks was our principal objective," Hawkins said, the NFL signed a deal in 1994 to beam Sunday Ticket over startup satellite carrier DirecTV. The goal, Hawkins said, was universal availability -- the NFL strongly wanted everyone to get access to the maximum number of games. During the startup years, the technical limits of direct-to-home satellite television distribution were not yet clear; the NFL believed DirecTV would be universally accessible, which turned out not to happen. It also turned out that before digital cable, most cable carriers lacked the bandwidth to show multiple viewer-elected channels simultaneously, so in the 1990s, Sunday Ticket probably couldn't have gone on cable anyway.

In 2002, the DirecTV exclusive on Sunday Ticket expired. By then, digital cable was on the horizon and Sunday Ticket was widely expected to shift to cable. The cable carriers wanted games sold individually, pay-per-view. The league wanted an all-encompassing package, which now -- as Sunday Ticket -- retails for $250 per year plus DirecTV-bundled costs that seem to vary depending on what phase the moons of Saturn are in at the exact moment you order. A power struggle ensued, with the big egos in the executive suites of the cable carriers essentially saying, "We'll decide how to market your games." This not only offended the big egos in the executive suites of the NFL but was totally different from the league's traditional partnership relationships with the broadcast networks and ESPN. In the background, the cable carriers were jockeying against each other to start their own sports networks and were angered by rumors the NFL would found what became NFL Network. In December 2002, the league gave the cable carriers a deadline for an offer for Sunday Ticket; the deadline passed, so the league re-upped with DirecTV; the cable carriers then presented a too-late offer and issued press releases denouncing the league for not waiting.

The 2002 turn of events pleased the broadcast networks, which still weren't happy about loss of local ratings and local advertising -- when a Sunday Ticket subscriber watches an out-of-market game, local ads are not inserted into the blank time a network computer leaves. After Fox joined NFL broadcasting, Fox said it would object unless Sunday Ticket subscribers were capped at 1 million, a restriction on access that belies what the NFL now says about how the NFL Network should be widely available. The 1 million Sunday Ticket subscriber ceiling has been expanded somewhat since, but not by much: The NFL continues to tell the broadcast networks not to worry about Sunday Ticket because its availability isn't growing, and that belies everything the NFL is saying to Congress about the NFL Network. In 2004, the NFL renewed the DirecTV exclusive again, until 2010, after fighting again with cable carriers about how to present the games. The NFL wants Sunday Ticket sold to cable roughly the way iN Demand movies are sold, through a single source with a single national price. (iN Demand is a consortium that markets movies to cable provides, not a service of individual cable firms.) The cable carriers rejected this, and again the over-the-air broadcast networks were relieved.

D* may still have the Sunday Ticket only, without any programming/packages.
http://www.satellite...icket-only.html

Actually, there are a few of us out here who do just that (Sunday Ticket only, without any programming/packages). When the NFL decided to end C-band/big dish delivery of Sunday Ticket several years ago, they left the door open for former C-band subscribers to come over to DTV to get Sunday Ticket. The caveats being that you had to do it right then, or you were out. And if you ever discontinue your service, you're out. But many of us came over and have maintainted service. So to answer your question ... yes, people are doing it. But no, you can't sign up for it that way anymore.

Now in Canada lack of exclusivity is due Canadian Radio-television and Telecommunications Commission rules.

But even now cable may be hard pressed to fit in NFL Sunday ticket with all games in HD maybe if iN DEMAND HD shut down just about all the new team HD and game HD feeds and make then NFL ST feeds but they will also need some where to fit in the SD feeds as well. Also lot's systems don't yet have the new game HD and team HD feeds.

#1499 OFFLINE   spaul

spaul

Godfather

• Registered
  • 264 posts

Posted 13 September 2011 - 09:13 AM

The one thing that has never changed is Comcast or as a group of cable companies could have out bid Directv .NFL only wants one provider to offer this nationally hence going to the high bidder .That being said everybody can watch their home NFL team on local broadcast as long as game is sold out in home market away games you,ll get of your team anyway.Now when it comes to the other pro teams everybody gets their games either locally ota or RSN sports channel .This is the rub for us in the Phila. area we get just about no Flyers or Sixers games and a very small percentage of Phillies games on ota or 2-4 games on ESPN if we are lucky.It is no comparison to hold Sunday NFL Ticket as a reason for not allowing Directv access to CSN Phila.Beating a dead horse again but, I,d pay 2-5 dollars a month as mentioned for it to be added for us some how.Though no one else in the country has to be held hostage like us to get our home teams games .The least we should be able to subscribe to League packages without the blackout even if the other teams feed.

#1500 OFFLINE   spaul

spaul

Godfather

• Registered
  • 264 posts

Posted 13 September 2011 - 09:16 AM

Yes I,m ranting the same stuff but, it does get the juices going.Please forgive me

spam firewall