Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
* * * * - 1 votes

Comcast Philadelphia

• Please log in to reply
2383 replies to this topic

#141 OFFLINE   KAL

KAL

Godfather

• Registered
  • 306 posts

Posted 09 April 2010 - 10:03 PM

I would think Comcast would have at least some self examination as to why the only reason many subs stay with them is soley because of CSN. Wouldnt they want people to stay because of other reasons and not just because they're playing hardball over a single channel?
HR24-100
FIOS - Phone & 25/25 internet

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#142 ONLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,267 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 10 April 2010 - 06:32 AM

I would think Comcast would have at least some self examination as to why the only reason many subs stay with them is soley because of CSN. Wouldnt they want people to stay because of other reasons and not just because they're playing hardball over a single channel?

Evidentally not.

But they can move to that new service...Xfinity!
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

#143 OFFLINE   n3ntj

n3ntj

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,693 posts

Posted 10 April 2010 - 07:10 AM

Last night Versus carried the Rangers-Flyers game and took the CSN Philly feed. Several times, there were minor video issues. They even came on at one point and said they were 'welcoming back those watching in Philly because of a technical glitch'. We didn't lose the feed on Versus but apparently the CSN customers did.
HD Snob - "Friends Don't Let Friends Watch Cable".
Electrical/RF Engineer & Inspector
DirecTV Equipment: HR24-200, HR24-100, 5LNB Slimline, AM21, SWiM 8 installed (MRV)
HR-2x Configuration: Native OFF. Units OFF when not in use.
TVs: 2 Panasonic Plasma TV's each using HDMI (one 1080p/one 720p)
DirecTV customer since 1998. Plus HD DVR package w/ NHL Center Ice & MLB Extra Innings.
OTA Antenna: Homebrew UHF & VHF antennas w/ 30dB amplifier fed w/ RG-6 Quad-shield coax.

#144 OFFLINE   psuscott0483

psuscott0483

Godfather

• Registered
  • 333 posts

Posted 10 April 2010 - 02:49 PM

i just wanted to share with everyone outside the market who might read this - the headache we must deal with in the philly area. last night rangers/flyers showdown was something incredible to watch as a hockey fan. there was a lot on the line for both teams. that being said, i was glad i subscribed to a local cable company recently just in time to watch these things. service electric cable is the only provider in my area, comcast will not provide service to my home. the game was scheduled to be shown on versus according to my guide data. knowing the game would be blacked out on directv i turned on my cable box to watch, but the atlanta thrashers game was all that came up? so i switch to comcast philly channel, it is the sixers game. i decided to hop in the car and go down the street to the bar. they only had service electric as well and, not surprisingly, their feed showed the same thing. as i sat there finishing my beer, 3 people called in within that time to ask if the flyers game was on. i travel 15min down the road to a bar i know has comcast. as i entered i saw people with flyers jerseys leaving. seemed odd... anyway, i sit at the bar i ask him if he can put the game on, he tells me it is on some comcast-only channel called tcn, he shared my disgust because many people had come for the game to that bar, but they cant get it. because this bar also has directv their comcast feed of tcn is "blacked out" i asked him, so who the hell can watch the game??? at this point i called up my parents, who have comcast, they had the game, i drive 15min up to their house and finally sit down in the 2nd period to watch. suddenly, the screen goes black and the flyers logo appears, the audio switches to what sounds like an AM radio broadcast play by play. it was like this for what seemed like an eternity. finally the game came back on. i got to watch the few remaining minutes of the 2nd period and the 3rd. today on nhl network they re-aired the game. it is blacked out.
DIRECTV since 2005
Premier Package + MRV + NHL Center Ice + NFL Sunday Ticket
HR34-700
HR24-500
H21-100
H23-600 x 3
H24-100 x 4
H25-500
Setup | Setup Diagram

#145 OFFLINE   wilbur_the_goose

wilbur_the_goose

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,390 posts

Posted 10 April 2010 - 03:12 PM

psuscott - perfect tale of what may face the rest of the USA once Comcast takes over NBC. We in metro Philly have known the travails of Comcast for years.

#146 OFFLINE   KAL

KAL

Godfather

• Registered
  • 306 posts

Posted 10 April 2010 - 07:47 PM

Evidentally not.

But they can move to that new service...Xfinity!

Well I certainly do admit to missing CSN, I still have 0 regrets switching to DTV from Comcast. Comcast in Philly had an absolutely horrible HD lineup which is why I switched to DTV. I will say that since then, Comcast has improved its HD lineup. Still not as good as DTVs though.
HR24-100
FIOS - Phone & 25/25 internet

#147 OFFLINE   oldengineer

oldengineer

Godfather

• Registered
  • 455 posts

Posted 11 April 2010 - 11:45 AM

........service electric cable is the only provider in my area, comcast will not provide service to my home. the game was scheduled to be shown on versus according to my guide data. knowing the game would be blacked out on directv i turned on my cable box to watch, but the atlanta thrashers game was all that came up? so i switch to comcast philly channel, it is the sixers game. i decided to hop in the car and go down the street to the bar. they only had service electric as well and, not surprisingly, their feed showed the same thing. .........

I also have SECTV, and I swear they are colluding with Comcast or Xfinity or whoever they are. The Rangers/Flyers game was on but it was on CN8 or The Comcast Network, not CSN. I notice that there are lots of Phillies games scheduled on CN8 this season. Last year CN8 was in SECTVs extended basic package; this year you have to get the digital package to get CN8. I think Comcast is spreading games around and cable companies are taking advantage of this.

2H/1J

#148 OFFLINE   Jaspear

Jaspear

Godfather

• Registered
  • 381 posts

Posted 11 April 2010 - 12:02 PM

i travel 15min down the road to a bar i know has comcast. as i entered i saw people with flyers jerseys leaving. seemed odd... anyway, i sit at the bar i ask him if he can put the game on, he tells me it is on some comcast-only channel called tcn, he shared my disgust because many people had come for the game to that bar, but they cant get it. because this bar also has directv their comcast feed of tcn is "blacked out" i asked him, so who the hell can watch the game???

So, If I as a bar owner have both Comcast and DTV, Comcast blacks out TCN? Is this some sort of reprisal by Comcast because I had the audacity to offer my customers DTV? Did I miss the part where Tony Soprano was hired by Comcast as its CEO?

:)
"A proof is a proof. What kind of a proof? It's a proof. A proof is a proof. And when you have a good proof, it's because it's proven."

Jean Chrétien, Prime Minister of Canada, 1993 - 2003.

#149 OFFLINE   JoeTheDragon

JoeTheDragon

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,146 posts

Posted 11 April 2010 - 12:06 PM

I also have SECTV, and I swear they are colluding with Comcast or Xfinity or whoever they are. The Rangers/Flyers game was on but it was on CN8 or The Comcast Network, not CSN. I notice that there are lots of Phillies games scheduled on CN8 this season. Last year CN8 was in SECTVs extended basic package; this year you have to get the digital package to get CN8. I think Comcast is spreading games around and cable companies are taking advantage of this.

There web site seem to show they are on ch 50

Public Access (PEG)/TV Guide

http://www.sectv.com/LV/index.html
I want CLTV / CLTV HD on direct tv.

#150 OFFLINE   Avder

Avder

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,395 posts

Posted 11 April 2010 - 12:58 PM

Sounds like Comcast is trying to make it as hard sa possible for people in and around the Philly markets to get their Philly teams games without being a Comcast subscriber. First Comcast Philly, and now TCN. What a bunch of horse crap.

#151 OFFLINE   oldengineer

oldengineer

Godfather

• Registered
  • 455 posts

Posted 11 April 2010 - 02:18 PM

Good observation. SECTV 50 is normally the Guide channel, but sometimes SECTV will put a Comcast Network game on if its not on CSN. Ch 50 is in the extended basic package so its good for folks who don't have the digital package.

2H/1J

#152 ONLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,267 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 11 April 2010 - 05:18 PM

Sounds like Comcast is trying to make it as hard sa possible for people in and around the Philly markets to get their Philly teams games without being a Comcast subscriber. First Comcast Philly, and now TCN. What a bunch of horse crap.

Nah, just COMcrap.
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV

#153 OFFLINE   wilbur_the_goose

wilbur_the_goose

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,390 posts

Posted 11 April 2010 - 06:01 PM

We may get mad at C*, but they're doing exactly what their shareholders demand - make money. Give credit to C* - from a US Seator they purchased a clause in a bill that became law, own the sports teams, and force Philly sports fans to purchase their product.

#154 ONLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,267 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 11 April 2010 - 07:24 PM

And yet they make money where their channel is on other systems like Chicago and Baltimore/Washington.

I don't know. Seems like they are limiting coverage of their own teams rather than drawing everyone to themselves. The Chicago teams, who are co-owners of CSN Chicago wanted to be on systems other than Comcast. So, are they cutting off their nose to spite their face?

#155 OFFLINE   JoeTheDragon

JoeTheDragon

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,146 posts

Posted 11 April 2010 - 07:49 PM

And yet they make money where their channel is on other systems like Chicago and Baltimore/Washington.

I don't know. Seems like they are limiting coverage of their own teams rather than drawing everyone to themselves. The Chicago teams, who are co-owners of CSN Chicago wanted to be on systems other than Comcast. So, are they cutting off their nose to spite their face?

Comcast owns the teams in Philly.

#156 OFFLINE   JoeTheDragon

JoeTheDragon

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,146 posts

Posted 11 April 2010 - 07:52 PM

For many years CLTV has comcast only but the CSN + over flow games on it where on all other systems.

To bad now days on comcast own systems you need a full cable box at about $5-$7+ per tv to get them now as it does not come in on the dta.

Also one other cable systems in the area has csn and csn+ on analog cable.

#157 ONLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,267 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 12 April 2010 - 05:56 AM

Comcast owns the teams in Philly.

I know. That is why I said are they cutting off their nose to spite their face. If getting on all systems was important to the Chicago teams, shouldn't it be important to the Philly teams?

#158 OFFLINE   psuscott0483

psuscott0483

Godfather

• Registered
  • 333 posts

Posted 12 April 2010 - 09:50 AM

i didnt realize some service electric customers get TCN or CN8 or whatever it is called. i didnt see it on my channel guide: http://www.secv.com/...l_birdsboro.pdf
now i need to figure out which channel is airing playoffs round 1
DIRECTV since 2005
Premier Package + MRV + NHL Center Ice + NFL Sunday Ticket
HR34-700
HR24-500
H21-100
H23-600 x 3
H24-100 x 4
H25-500
Setup | Setup Diagram

#159 OFFLINE   la24philly

la24philly

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,708 posts

Posted 12 April 2010 - 01:17 PM

scott devils fan, does verizon fios go to your area? what is your zip code

#160 OFFLINE   cmasia

cmasia

Icon

• Registered
  • 655 posts

Posted 12 April 2010 - 01:56 PM

Nationals - Phillies on CSN Philly looks pretty good today in HD on 728 - 1.

In the guide, Wednesday's game only shows one feed, but Thursday's has 2 HD feeds listed.

On another CSN Philly issue, is anyone surprised Comcrap's Versus is not showing any of the Flyers opening round games?

spam firewall