Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

OTA and channels

• Please log in to reply
104 replies to this topic

Poll: Are you having trouble with your over-the-air channels? (198 member(s) have cast votes)

Are you having trouble with your over-the-air channels?

1. I have OTA and I am having issue (describe below) (61 votes [30.81%])

Percentage of vote: 30.81%

2. I have OTA and I am not having any issues (note market below) (86 votes [43.43%])

Percentage of vote: 43.43%

3. I do not have OTA (51 votes [25.76%])

Percentage of vote: 25.76%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#51 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 22,748 posts

Posted 09 March 2010 - 12:28 PM

[...] I'm waiting for the trees to fill out to see if multipath is modified.

Probably will be the same here in the NY, NY DMA. I went up to the attic this morning and tweaked my antenna a bit to see if I could get FOX any better. Moving it a couple of inches didn't stop the wild fluctuations, but it did up the numbers. So now I constantly fluctuate between 83 and 95, instead of high 60's to high 70's.

It's the only channel I get that fluctuates so rapidly. It jumps 5-10 points almost once per second. The others only fluctuate 1-2 points, and less frequently.
/steve

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#52 OFFLINE   jazzyjez

jazzyjez

Legend

• Registered
  • 164 posts

Posted 09 March 2010 - 02:42 PM

I've just spoken with someone at our local station and he had received this message from DirecTV. Even though this was to WILM, it clearly affects OTA users across the country:

"Off air LP stations are no longer part of the DIRECTV Program Guide, because the low-power signals from these stations are not widely available to all customers in the DMA. I will let you know if anything changes regarding this decision."

See also his posting here:
http://www.avsforum....=254668&page=66

This is a really bad deal for us - it also seems really crazy because DirecTV already have channel 10 (i.e. the same WILM) in their program guide, but because the OTA 10-1 isn't there we can't tune it in, and therefore lose our HD source. Furthermore, although it's technically a LP station - as far as I'm concerned it's one of the best signals I get - much better than the supposedly full-power Fox station.

Edited by jazzyjez, 09 March 2010 - 03:49 PM.
corrected the link to avsforum

#53 OFFLINE   jjfeo

jjfeo

Mentor

• Registered
  • 45 posts

Posted 09 March 2010 - 03:15 PM

I've just spoken with someone at our local station and he had received this message from DirecTV. Even though this was to WILM, it clearly affects OTA users across the country:

"Off air LP stations are no longer part of the DIRECTV Program Guide, because the low-power signals from these stations are not widely available to all customers in the DMA. I will let you know if anything changes regarding this decision."

http://www.avsforum.....254668&page=66

This is a really bad deal for us - it's also seems really crazy because DirecTV already have channel 10 (i.e. the same WILM) in their program guide, but because the OTA 10-1 isn't there we can't tune it in, and therefore lose our HD source. Furthermore, although it's technically a LP station - as far as I'm concerned it's one of the best signals I get - much better than the supposedly full-power Fox station.

Same here in South Bend. 25.1 is a channel that D* offers as a local channel, but is now no longer available via the AM21. The other channel that we are haveing problems with is 69.1. It is not available though D* as a local channel. I did some research, and both of these channels come from the same antenna as our ABC 57.1 channel (and I think are all owned by the same company). I have found that I get the channels I mentioned at about 80%, so I have no problems with getting good reception with any of them. When I bought my AM21, D* didn't offer ABC 57.1 in HD, and I wanted to make sure my DVR could record in HD. I then realized that when there is a weather issue, and I lose the signal from the satellite, I still get the OTA signal, so I decided to keep using the AM21.

I will say that I do not like this idea and hope that it is changed. I still pay for the local channels (if this is something to make people pay for the local channels), I just want to make sure I don't miss anything due to weather.

#54 OFFLINE   I WANT MORE

I WANT MORE

CowboySooner

• Registered
  • 1,207 posts
  • LocationNorthern plains

Posted 09 March 2010 - 04:55 PM

No PBS 16.1, 16.2, and 16.3 in Aberdeen, SD after new scan. Still available on receivers that I have not updated.

Back now after national release update.
Perhaps I Misremembered.

#55 OFFLINE   texasbrit

texasbrit

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,388 posts

Posted 09 March 2010 - 06:07 PM

See also this thread on the DirecTV tech forums http://forums.direct...PostID=10665242 and in particular this tweet from DirecTV http://twitter.com/D...tus/10227195574
It is all very strange...

#56 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 22,748 posts

Posted 09 March 2010 - 09:35 PM

See also this thread on the DirecTV tech forums http://forums.direct...PostID=10665242 and in particular this tweet from DirecTV http://twitter.com/D...tus/10227195574

I re-ran antenna set-up on an HR20-700 this morning and after putting in my zip code, 5-1 (FOX) and 11-1 (CW) were not found. (Interestingly, it did find 5-2.) Ran it a second time and chose a secondary market with the same zip (which I did not do the first time), and all channels were found.

I chalked it up to signal, tho, because FOX and CW have the worst bit error rates of all my OTA channels. Could be it's related to the AM21 issue, tho.
/steve

#57 OFFLINE   JLucPicard

JLucPicard

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,985 posts

Posted 10 March 2010 - 12:15 AM

In the Minneapolis/Twin Cities market and haven't had any noticeable problems with OTA on HR10-250 or HR22+AM21.

#58 OFFLINE   Coca Cola Kid

Coca Cola Kid

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,626 posts
  • LocationMt. Morris, MI

Posted 10 March 2010 - 05:14 AM

By issues do you mean reception of adjacent market channels? I live in the Flint/Tri-Cities, MI market and get those channels via spot beam but use I my antenna/AM21 setup to watch Detroit stations, and half of the time half of them don't come in at all (usually during the day) and the rest of time time they break up when traffic outside gets heavy. I know I probably need a stronger/higher antenna but should I vote yes in this survey?

DIRECTV customer

All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of other DIRECTV customers

My giant list of missing or wrong logos

#59 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 10 March 2010 - 07:14 AM

By issues do you mean reception of adjacent market channels? I live in the Flint/Tri-Cities, MI market and get those channels via spot beam but use I my antenna/AM21 setup to watch Detroit stations, and half of the time half of them don't come in at all (usually during the day) and the rest of time time they break up when traffic outside gets heavy. I know I probably need a stronger/higher antenna but should I vote yes in this survey?

Issues here are about not getting channels you got a few weeks ago, not channels you have trouble receiving due to a poor antenna setup or trying to receive channels from 60 or 70 miles away.

#60 OFFLINE   jazzyjez

jazzyjez

Legend

• Registered
  • 164 posts

Posted 10 March 2010 - 07:56 AM

Thanks for that info. The total lack of respect that DIRECTV is showing its customers with regard to this "problem": To take away something that was working perfectly, and without any explanation or advance notice is extremely aggravating.

The FCC has pursued the Digital Transistion across the US over the past couple of years - and some of us have invested in new equipment (antennas and associated cabling in my case) to take advantage of this. DIRECTV have also benefitted from this - perhaps indirectly - because I (like many others) have been able to integrate local HD reception via OTA into our satellite receivers, and thus chose to stay with DIRECTV rather than switch to cable in order to receive local channels in HD. (We don't all live in low numbered DMA regions that have HD locals via satellite.)

It's also worth pointing out that Wilmington, NC was the nation's "test bed" for switching to all digital broadcasting in September 2008 - 5 months ahead of the national transition. The local station in question - WILM - was one of those participating in this, and now DIRECTV see fit to exclude from its program guide because of its "low-power" status. [I could argue that there are plenty of other (satellite) channels that should be excluded from the guide because of their "low-quality" status but that's going off topic :) - you have to have one smile through all this.]

#61 OFFLINE   rahchgo

rahchgo

Godfather

• Registered
  • 295 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL

Posted 10 March 2010 - 07:57 AM

No OTA issues for me.
Rich - Chicago, IL (Tri-Taylor neighborhood) HR44-500

#62 OFFLINE   antennahead

antennahead

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 22 posts

Posted 10 March 2010 - 10:38 AM

I have been with DTV since January of 1995. This issue has frustrated me to no end, and "if" a better alternative existed, I would leave them. I have called and talked to tech support about 10 times, including again last night, and the latest supervisor was clueless, clueless. Their answer repeatedly was "for $6 a month we can set you up on locals" :mad:

I have explained that my local PBS moved their digital channel location, back to the original channel, on the day the digital switch over occured last year (moved from "44" I think, to "7"). I have called Tribune and they claim they have the correct location for them and have notified D* of this move. My bedroom receiver allowed me to "scan" for channels and I get all 3 PBS locals in HD OTA. The HR 20-100 will not scan for channels, only search and populate what they have for my market. How hard is this to make DTV understand? I question whether they don't want to understand, or are playing dumb to force customers to pay the extra $6 a month for locals. I want, and like all the additional sub carrier channels that are offered OTA in my market. Any ideas? I am so frustrated I don't want to call them anymore.

John

#63 OFFLINE   vikefan

vikefan

Legend

• Registered
  • 160 posts

Posted 11 March 2010 - 05:33 AM

Rockford IL,

channels 13-1 & 13-2. No proplems for over a year. Today the guide shows 41-1 in place of 13-1. RBR no help. went through antenna setup. no help did a antenna reset then antenna setup and now it works. That was really strange losing 13-1 and 13-2 had no problem. All is well now

#64 OFFLINE   ThePrisoner

ThePrisoner

Legend

• Registered
  • 117 posts

Posted 11 March 2010 - 06:52 AM

No issues here in Albany, NY. I'm using an AM21 w/ HR21-700.
Choice Xtra, HD Extra Pack, MRV, NFLST
HR24-100, Terk HDTVi, Panasonic TC-P60GT30, Oppo BDP-93, Anthem MRX-500, Paradigm Reference
HR21-700, Panasonic TH-50PZ800U

#65 OFFLINE   mcbeevee

mcbeevee

97% Complete

• Registered
  • 1,283 posts

Posted 11 March 2010 - 07:08 AM

My oldest of 3 HR20-700's is always having problems with OTA signal strength. I usually have to reboot it at least once a week. It used to only happen after rain fade, but now it happens on sunny days too. I'm guessing my problem is hardware related, since my other 2 HR20's never have OTA problems.

:)

#66 OFFLINE   edenkers

edenkers

Mentor

• Registered
  • 32 posts

Posted 11 March 2010 - 09:03 AM

http://www.avsforum....=254668&page=66

This is a really bad deal for us - it also seems really crazy because DirecTV already have channel 10 (i.e. the same WILM) in their program guide, but because the OTA 10-1 isn't there we can't tune it in, and therefore lose our HD source. Furthermore, although it's technically a LP station - as far as I'm concerned it's one of the best signals I get - much better than the supposedly full-power Fox station.

I just created a thread about how my local FOX HD channel went missing.

http://www.dbstalk.c...212#post2387212

As far as I know it is a low power station. I guess this explains why the channel is no longer in the guide.

This is completely unbelievable. Come on DirecTV. I have been watching and recording on that channel for over 2 years. Give us back our local OTA channels!

#67 OFFLINE   antennahead

antennahead

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 22 posts

Posted 11 March 2010 - 08:03 PM

I just created a thread about how my local FOX HD channel went missing.

http://www.dbstalk.c...212#post2387212

As far as I know it is a low power station. I guess this explains why the channel is no longer in the guide.

This is completely unbelievable. Come on DirecTV. I have been watching and recording on that channel for over 2 years. Give us back our local OTA channels!

The senior level tech customer service rep (she was obviously NOT a tech per se) flat out told me "we do not support nor have anything to do with OTA, you should contact someone like the Best Buy Geek Squad to check your OTA antenna or cable for a bad connection" ....... LMFAO, can you believe this? I am NOT technically challanged. I prewired my whole house, set up both my home theater systems, and back in 1995 installed and set up my first D* sat. They clearly don't give a damn and want the extra revenue from having you get your locals through them. She couldn't stop trying to talk me into paying $6 more dollars a month for locals delivered by them.

John

#68 OFFLINE   Kansas Zephyr

Kansas Zephyr

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,489 posts

Posted 11 March 2010 - 09:59 PM

Well, that explains why all of the LP/TX stations are now gone from the OTA list.

This is a big deal here...the Wichita-Hutchinson DMA is so big that the "big-four affiliates" are networks of stations. Only the Wichita stations are carried by D*. If a tornado is near Dodge City (140mi away), the Wichita primary stations are on normal program, while the SW KS satellite stations are in live weather coverage. So without OTA they are SOL for non-stop severe weather info. Some of those are low-power and translator stations.

Not good.

They probably dropped them, so D* subs couldn't see just how many channels they don't provide via the bird. That might get some customers asking for them, eating up D*'s bandwidth. ;)

Edited by Kansas Zephyr, 11 March 2010 - 10:06 PM.

5 LNB Slimline & SWM-16
SWM1 2 HR20s & HR21 via SWS-4 "green label" 4-way splitter w/power pass one leg for PI - SWM2 2 HR20s & HR21 after SWS-4 "green label" 4-way splitter
2 HR20-700 Wireless network for DoD
HR20-700 eSATA Vantec NexStar CX w/ 2TB WD20EVDS
HR21-100/AM21 Wireless network for DoD
HR21-100/AM21
With diplexed OTA via an "out" on one SWS-4 4-way splitter, using a Winegard YA 1713 - Channel Master 4228 - Channel Master 7777 in the attic.
Yes, my market has HD LiLs...and I'm still not giving up OTA! No rain-fade, and all sub-channels 24/7/365.
Also, with diplexed Cox Internet on one leg, downstream of a SWS-4 4-way splitter, using a SWS-2 2-way splitter, as a combiner.
R10 via SWM-16 Legacy 1
In boxes HR10-250, HDVR2 & (2) D10-300

#69 OFFLINE   edenkers

edenkers

Mentor

• Registered
  • 32 posts

Posted 12 March 2010 - 08:38 AM

...They clearly don't give a damn and want the extra revenue from having you get your locals through them. She couldn't stop trying to talk me into paying $6 more dollars a month for locals delivered by them.

John

It looks like D* has to pay TMS for each and every station/channel that is the the Guide Data.

On Mar 12, 2010, TmsDesk, Lineups <lineups@tribune.com> wrote:

I'm not sure how it does though I know they go over our bill line by line and as you can imagine that would be a big task. Without going into the details, they pay for unique channels in their guides...that is most likely why they chose not to list them.

D* just raised our subscription rates and now they are cutting back on available services by removing guide data for low power OTA channels.

"Off air LP stations are no longer part of the DIRECTV Program Guide, because the low-power signals from these stations are not widely available to all customers in the DMA."

"Not widely available to all customers in the DMA", really? Give me a break. And what about those customers that were able to tune in those low-power signals just fine? Just hang them out to dry or better yet, just have them fork over an extra $6.00 a month for local HD channels.

:nono:

#70 OFFLINE   jjfeo

jjfeo

Mentor

• Registered
  • 45 posts

Posted 12 March 2010 - 11:03 AM

"Not widely available to all customers in the DMA", really? Give me a break. And what about those customers that were able to tune in those low-power signals just fine? Just hang them out to dry or better yet, just have them fork over an extra $6.00 a month for local HD channels.

:nono:

I am not very happy about this either. The reason that I bought my AM21 is because when I upgraded my TV to HD, D* didn't carry our local ABC channel in HD. So I use the antenna to get my locals. I use the AM21 all time, and as an example why, we had a small rain storm come through around 7:45 (while I was watching ESPN), and we had a little rain fade at that time, and the storm was stronger around 8:15 while we were watching Survivor and we were able to watch it w/o any interruptions. If we were watching it via the D* local channels, we would have missed some of it because of the storm.

#71 OFFLINE   jazzyjez

jazzyjez

Legend

• Registered
  • 164 posts

Posted 12 March 2010 - 09:34 PM

As of this evening (Friday, March 12th), channel 10-1 (WILM-CBS) is back in the guide!

Perhaps DBStalk and this thread have played a part in getting this resolved, perhaps it was other influences, either way, thanks DIRECTV for restoring the guide for this channel. :)

Now I just hope for two things on this subject:
1) that it's a permanent correction and I don't wake up on another morning and find it gone again,
2) that other users across the country are also seeing their missing OTA channels restored.

Thanks to Doug and all at DBStalk for their help in this!!!

J.

#72 OFFLINE   David MacLeod

David MacLeod

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,689 posts

Posted 13 March 2010 - 07:02 AM

my wlbz-2 Bangor ME showed back up and was working after redoing setup (on all 3 units) too. very odd, but working now.
Dave MacLeod
S.I.H.

#73 OFFLINE   ub1934

ub1934

Icon

• Registered
  • 518 posts
  • LocationUpState NY

Posted 13 March 2010 - 02:28 PM

No more OTA , [ATTACH]21530[/ATTACH]

#74 OFFLINE   jazzyjez

jazzyjez

Legend

• Registered
  • 164 posts

Posted 13 March 2010 - 02:40 PM

As of this evening (Friday, March 12th), channel 10-1 (WILM-CBS) is back in the guide!

Perhaps DBStalk and this thread have played a part in getting this resolved, perhaps it was other influences, either way, thanks DIRECTV for restoring the guide for this channel. :)

Now I just hope for two things on this subject:
1) that it's a permanent correction and I don't wake up on another morning and find it gone again,
2) that other users across the country are also seeing their missing OTA channels restored.

Thanks to Doug and all at DBStalk for their help in this!!!

J.

Well I did speak too soon. Less than a day after everything was restored it's now gone again. Last night when I got in, the channel was back, all my series links were back, all without any action on my part (no reboot, rescan, etc.).

This afternoon - March 13th, when I returned from work, 10-1 was gone again from both my HR20 receivers.

DIRECTV - this is total incompetence on your part. It's bad enough that you dropped our ability to receive CBS in the first place, but then to toy with us by putting it back for just a few hours is insulting. I think this warrants attention from the FCC.

Edited by jazzyjez, 13 March 2010 - 05:06 PM.

#75 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 22,748 posts

Posted 13 March 2010 - 02:41 PM

No more OTA , [ATTACH]21530[/ATTACH]

Ouch. Had a similar issue at my place. I relocated the antenna inside my attic and was surprised that the reception is so good in there. That said, I'm holding off final judgement 'til the trees fill out in a couple of months.
/steve

Protected By... spam firewall...And...