Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

OTA and channels

• Please log in to reply
104 replies to this topic

Poll: Are you having trouble with your over-the-air channels? (198 member(s) have cast votes)

Are you having trouble with your over-the-air channels?

1. I have OTA and I am having issue (describe below) (61 votes [30.81%])

Percentage of vote: 30.81%

2. I have OTA and I am not having any issues (note market below) (86 votes [43.43%])

Percentage of vote: 43.43%

3. I do not have OTA (51 votes [25.76%])

Percentage of vote: 25.76%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#41 OFFLINE   tkrandall

tkrandall

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,795 posts

Posted 09 March 2010 - 09:36 AM

My issues related to a few OTA channels I can easily get with my TV's OTA tuner (signal levels in the 70s and 80s) but can't get them on the HR20-700's tuner at all.

I posted a reply on page 1, but that was in the context of the guide data and the OTA database having all the channels mapped (since the DirecTV OTA turners don't actually scan for channels). As to reception, that is another matter. I live in a very localized weak signal/multipath pocket in metro Atlanta (I have 700 ft "mountain" about 1.5 miles away in the line of sight) and the HR20-700's ATSC tuner is not a stellar performer at all, even with a 4228 antenna and amplifier on the roof. My Samsung HLS6187W DLP's tuner and my Zenith DTT900 converter are each able to handle about 4 stations the HR20 cannot. The other stations are stronger and the HR20 handles them fine. But it is a marked difference in capability. I have read the HR20 has a dated ATSC OTA tuner that was not knows to perform as well as more modern tuners.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#42 OFFLINE   irlspotter

irlspotter

Legend

• Registered
  • 124 posts

Posted 09 March 2010 - 10:06 AM

Chicago DMA - WBBMDT - Channel 2.1 was working fine until sometime yesterday. No access on HR21 - also, D* CHannel 2 WBBM (HD) is very pixelated. Also, started yesterday.

#43 OFFLINE   lansbury

lansbury

AllStar

• Registered
  • 70 posts

Posted 09 March 2010 - 10:30 AM

CBS (KOIN) is on CH6-1 here in Portland OR. It dropped from my OTA list months ago and nothing has got it back. All the other local OTA channels show up OK.

#44 OFFLINE   gcd0865

gcd0865

Legend

• Registered
  • 128 posts

Posted 09 March 2010 - 11:03 AM

GP245:

Maybe your AM21 is going bad, like mine did. See my post #14 in this thread:
http://www.dbstalk.c...ad.php?t=173637

#45 OFFLINE   jefbal99

jefbal99

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,838 posts

Posted 09 March 2010 - 11:22 AM

I'm in Lansing Michigan and was having an issue with my 10-1 WILX NBC OTA during the Olympics, but the issue was went away during the 2nd week of the games. All other have been great.
Receiving Equipment: AU9 Slimline w/Zinwell WB68 & SWM 8 | Winegard MS-2000 w/PS-1503 Power Injector
Living Room: HR22-100 w/AM-21 | Samsung HL-S4266W (HDMI) | Ethernet MRV | Pioneer HTS-GS1 5.1 | Yamaha DV-S6160 (Component/Digital Coaxial)
Bedroom: H21-200 w/AM-21 | Westinghouse LVM-42w2 (HDMI) | Ethernet MRV
Home Theatre: HR20-100 | Sanyo PLV-Z60 (Component/Optical) | Flexio 16:9 100" Screen | Ethernet MRV |Yamaha YHT-690 | XBox 360 (Component) | Harmony 880

#46 OFFLINE   jdspencer

jdspencer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,555 posts

Posted 09 March 2010 - 11:28 AM

I voted that I have issues. However, they aren't too severe. Also, most are with my HR20 and the HR23/AM21 does much better. The problem I have is that there's a hill between me and the towers. I'm waiting for the trees to fill out to see if multipath is modified.

Binghamton, NY DMA
DirecTV since '96, Waivers for ABC, CBS, NBC, & Fox, HR23-700 & HR24-500/AM21, using ethernet based MRV.

#47 OFFLINE   Kentstater

Kentstater

Godfather

• DBSTalk Club
  • 425 posts
  • LocationSE Michigan

Posted 09 March 2010 - 11:28 AM

I have problems only with one station with a marginal signal.

It is stong enough for the tunner on the TV, but not through the HR20-700.

Note: I am just north of Toledo, 11 miles from the towers, all come in well exept 24 (NBC). I am in the Detroit market so I have LILHD.
You can keep the change

#48 OFFLINE   randycat

randycat

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 23 posts

Posted 09 March 2010 - 11:38 AM

eureka, ca
hr20-100b/hr21-100
ch 3(nbc) playback locks up both machines (multiple reboots during the olympics)
ch 17 (cbs) IKD, 30-slip skips to end
mediacenter via hdhomerun works fine

#49 ONLINE   Beetle

Beetle

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 22 posts

Posted 09 March 2010 - 11:41 AM

I have an H20 with no problems. I also have an HR22/100 (Ox395) and an AM21. The tuner in the TV that the HR22 is connected to works fine for channel 34-2. When I switch inputs to the D* equipment, signal level for this channel is in the mid 70's but there is no picture. I get a "Searching for signal on Over The Air tuner (771)" message. The channel appears in the guide of both receivers.

#50 OFFLINE   DIELES

DIELES

• Registered
  • 7 posts

Posted 09 March 2010 - 11:51 AM

I'm in the Odessa/Midland, Tx market. The OTA's are in different directions so I have to have a rotating attena. The NBC affiliate(which is not on DIRECTV) Is the hardest to pickup. For some unknown reason, they chose to locate their transmitter 45 miles west of Odessa. Go figure.

#51 ONLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 22,434 posts

Posted 09 March 2010 - 12:28 PM

[...] I'm waiting for the trees to fill out to see if multipath is modified.

Probably will be the same here in the NY, NY DMA. I went up to the attic this morning and tweaked my antenna a bit to see if I could get FOX any better. Moving it a couple of inches didn't stop the wild fluctuations, but it did up the numbers. So now I constantly fluctuate between 83 and 95, instead of high 60's to high 70's.

It's the only channel I get that fluctuates so rapidly. It jumps 5-10 points almost once per second. The others only fluctuate 1-2 points, and less frequently.
/steve

#52 OFFLINE   jazzyjez

jazzyjez

Legend

• Registered
  • 164 posts

Posted 09 March 2010 - 02:42 PM

I've just spoken with someone at our local station and he had received this message from DirecTV. Even though this was to WILM, it clearly affects OTA users across the country:

"Off air LP stations are no longer part of the DIRECTV Program Guide, because the low-power signals from these stations are not widely available to all customers in the DMA. I will let you know if anything changes regarding this decision."

See also his posting here:
http://www.avsforum....=254668&page=66

This is a really bad deal for us - it also seems really crazy because DirecTV already have channel 10 (i.e. the same WILM) in their program guide, but because the OTA 10-1 isn't there we can't tune it in, and therefore lose our HD source. Furthermore, although it's technically a LP station - as far as I'm concerned it's one of the best signals I get - much better than the supposedly full-power Fox station.

Edited by jazzyjez, 09 March 2010 - 03:49 PM.
corrected the link to avsforum

#53 OFFLINE   jjfeo

jjfeo

Mentor

• Registered
  • 45 posts

Posted 09 March 2010 - 03:15 PM

I've just spoken with someone at our local station and he had received this message from DirecTV. Even though this was to WILM, it clearly affects OTA users across the country:

"Off air LP stations are no longer part of the DIRECTV Program Guide, because the low-power signals from these stations are not widely available to all customers in the DMA. I will let you know if anything changes regarding this decision."

See also his posting here:
http://www.avsforum.....254668&page=66

This is a really bad deal for us - it's also seems really crazy because DirecTV already have channel 10 (i.e. the same WILM) in their program guide, but because the OTA 10-1 isn't there we can't tune it in, and therefore lose our HD source. Furthermore, although it's technically a LP station - as far as I'm concerned it's one of the best signals I get - much better than the supposedly full-power Fox station.

Same here in South Bend. 25.1 is a channel that D* offers as a local channel, but is now no longer available via the AM21. The other channel that we are haveing problems with is 69.1. It is not available though D* as a local channel. I did some research, and both of these channels come from the same antenna as our ABC 57.1 channel (and I think are all owned by the same company). I have found that I get the channels I mentioned at about 80%, so I have no problems with getting good reception with any of them. When I bought my AM21, D* didn't offer ABC 57.1 in HD, and I wanted to make sure my DVR could record in HD. I then realized that when there is a weather issue, and I lose the signal from the satellite, I still get the OTA signal, so I decided to keep using the AM21.

I will say that I do not like this idea and hope that it is changed. I still pay for the local channels (if this is something to make people pay for the local channels), I just want to make sure I don't miss anything due to weather.

#54 OFFLINE   I WANT MORE

I WANT MORE

CowboySooner

• Registered
  • 1,113 posts
  • LocationNorthern plains

Posted 09 March 2010 - 04:55 PM

No PBS 16.1, 16.2, and 16.3 in Aberdeen, SD after new scan. Still available on receivers that I have not updated.

Back now after national release update.
Perhaps I Misremembered.

#55 OFFLINE   texasbrit

texasbrit

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,030 posts

Posted 09 March 2010 - 06:07 PM

See also this thread on the DirecTV tech forums http://forums.direct...PostID=10665242 and in particular this tweet from DirecTV http://twitter.com/D...tus/10227195574
It is all very strange...

#56 ONLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 22,434 posts

Posted 09 March 2010 - 09:35 PM

See also this thread on the DirecTV tech forums http://forums.direct...PostID=10665242 and in particular this tweet from DirecTV http://twitter.com/D...tus/10227195574

I re-ran antenna set-up on an HR20-700 this morning and after putting in my zip code, 5-1 (FOX) and 11-1 (CW) were not found. (Interestingly, it did find 5-2.) Ran it a second time and chose a secondary market with the same zip (which I did not do the first time), and all channels were found.

I chalked it up to signal, tho, because FOX and CW have the worst bit error rates of all my OTA channels. Could be it's related to the AM21 issue, tho.
/steve

#57 OFFLINE   JLucPicard

JLucPicard

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,983 posts

Posted 10 March 2010 - 12:15 AM

In the Minneapolis/Twin Cities market and haven't had any noticeable problems with OTA on HR10-250 or HR22+AM21.

#58 OFFLINE   Coca Cola Kid

Coca Cola Kid

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,586 posts
  • LocationMt. Morris, MI

Posted 10 March 2010 - 05:14 AM

By issues do you mean reception of adjacent market channels? I live in the Flint/Tri-Cities, MI market and get those channels via spot beam but use I my antenna/AM21 setup to watch Detroit stations, and half of the time half of them don't come in at all (usually during the day) and the rest of time time they break up when traffic outside gets heavy. I know I probably need a stronger/higher antenna but should I vote yes in this survey?

DIRECTV customer

All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of other DIRECTV customers

My giant list of missing or wrong logos

#59 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 10 March 2010 - 07:14 AM

By issues do you mean reception of adjacent market channels? I live in the Flint/Tri-Cities, MI market and get those channels via spot beam but use I my antenna/AM21 setup to watch Detroit stations, and half of the time half of them don't come in at all (usually during the day) and the rest of time time they break up when traffic outside gets heavy. I know I probably need a stronger/higher antenna but should I vote yes in this survey?

Issues here are about not getting channels you got a few weeks ago, not channels you have trouble receiving due to a poor antenna setup or trying to receive channels from 60 or 70 miles away.

#60 OFFLINE   jazzyjez

jazzyjez

Legend

• Registered
  • 164 posts

Posted 10 March 2010 - 07:56 AM

Thanks for that info. The total lack of respect that DIRECTV is showing its customers with regard to this "problem": To take away something that was working perfectly, and without any explanation or advance notice is extremely aggravating.

The FCC has pursued the Digital Transistion across the US over the past couple of years - and some of us have invested in new equipment (antennas and associated cabling in my case) to take advantage of this. DIRECTV have also benefitted from this - perhaps indirectly - because I (like many others) have been able to integrate local HD reception via OTA into our satellite receivers, and thus chose to stay with DIRECTV rather than switch to cable in order to receive local channels in HD. (We don't all live in low numbered DMA regions that have HD locals via satellite.)

It's also worth pointing out that Wilmington, NC was the nation's "test bed" for switching to all digital broadcasting in September 2008 - 5 months ahead of the national transition. The local station in question - WILM - was one of those participating in this, and now DIRECTV see fit to exclude from its program guide because of its "low-power" status. [I could argue that there are plenty of other (satellite) channels that should be excluded from the guide because of their "low-quality" status but that's going off topic :) - you have to have one smile through all this.]

spam firewall