Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

DVR to recognize Router

upgrade

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   agnerc

agnerc

• Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 09 March 2010 - 02:58 PM

Has anyone successfully configured their router to allow the DVR to access the internet?
I have my DVR hard wired to my router and I have lights on both devices. I have rebooted both numerous times. The DVR does not allow you to type in any DNS or IP info.

Any suggestions for the router?

Thanks,

Chris

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   RasputinAXP

RasputinAXP

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,134 posts

Posted 09 March 2010 - 03:00 PM

Access the Internet how? The 722 just DHCPs an IP address from the router, and then can contact Dish for online services instead of dialing out.

Sounds like there's something wrong with your router.

"Belligerent and numerous."

Sometimes I update the Dish Network FAQ

AT200, Hopper & 360 via HDMI to Onkyo 505 to basement 42" Westy, Hopper via Comp-over-Cat5 to living room 42" Vizio with a Roku 3, Joey to Toshiba 32" LCD with a Logitech Revue. You want fries with that? Pull up to the 2nd window.

#3 OFFLINE   fryguy503

fryguy503

Legend

• Registered
  • 159 posts

Posted 09 March 2010 - 04:54 PM

iirc E* rcvrs do not allow the specifying of Static IP/DNS info. It only allows DHCP which all resi routers by default have enabled. E* will not assist you with Troubleshooting your network issues.
The Postings on this site are my own and do not represent DISH Network's positions, strategies or opinions.

#4 OFFLINE   scooper

scooper

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,710 posts
  • LocationYoungsville NC

Posted 09 March 2010 - 05:28 PM

Yes - you must leave DHCP server turned on for your router, even if it is for only 1 client.
You CAN put antennas on your owned and/or controlled property...

http://www.fcc.gov/mb/facts/otard.html

#5 OFFLINE   fryguy503

fryguy503

Legend

• Registered
  • 159 posts

Posted 09 March 2010 - 05:42 PM

If you must have the DHCP server off what I would suggest is enable it, Then setup MAC filtering that will prevent any unauthorized access ( assuming this router is also wireless ) if its not there is no reason to have the DHCP svr off.
The Postings on this site are my own and do not represent DISH Network's positions, strategies or opinions.

#6 OFFLINE   agnerc

agnerc

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 10 March 2010 - 07:51 AM

DHCP is enabled on my router.

My DVR needs to access the internet so I can download shows from Dish On Line.

AS for the DVR, there is no way for me to configure it, it is DHCP and that is it, it either sees the router or it doesn't.

Chris

#7 OFFLINE   RasputinAXP

RasputinAXP

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,134 posts

Posted 10 March 2010 - 08:39 AM

If DHCP is on, but your DVR isn't picking up an IP address, then the problem is either with the router, the cable, or the Ethernet port on the DVR. Plug a computer into the cable that you plugged the DVR into and see if you can get online that way.

"Belligerent and numerous."

Sometimes I update the Dish Network FAQ

AT200, Hopper & 360 via HDMI to Onkyo 505 to basement 42" Westy, Hopper via Comp-over-Cat5 to living room 42" Vizio with a Roku 3, Joey to Toshiba 32" LCD with a Logitech Revue. You want fries with that? Pull up to the 2nd window.

#8 OFFLINE   agnerc

agnerc

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 10 March 2010 - 11:12 AM

I will try the suggestion on plugging the computer into the cable.

I do know that I have network lights on the router and DVR.

Are there any settings in the router that would prevent the DVR from getting an IP?

Chris

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: upgrade

spam firewall