Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Please help: DVR has mind of its own!!

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   DTVFans

DTVFans

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 16 posts

Posted 10 March 2010 - 12:32 AM

It constantly deletes & cancels any show(s) it chooses to. Even after they are already recorded & in the playlist. We have the defaults set at "Until I Delete". Either way, the disc is always a minimum of 90% available.. nowhere near full.

This is the second DVR unit in 1 year that has done the exact same thing. And DirecTV is of absolutely no help at all, they keep telling us that "someone in the house must be deleting the programs", but since there are only 2 adults in our house, we know we are not doing anything to prompt this.

Does anyone have any ideas on how to fix this problem? We will be forever grateful! The reason we have to have DirecTV, is because where we live, cable is not available to us, and DishNetwork does not offer all of the channels we want.

Thank you.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   litzdog911

litzdog911

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,498 posts
  • LocationMill Creek, WA

Posted 10 March 2010 - 12:51 AM

What model DVR do you have?
HD DVRs: HR34-700; HR24-500; (2) HR20-700 + WD eSATA 1TB drive/Antec MX1 case; HR21-700; HR21-200 w/AM21
Receivers: H25-500 HD Receiver; H21-100 HD Receiver
Mobile Devices: Nomad

Additional equipment configuration details

Sun & moon help site your satellite dish

#3 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• Registered
  • 10,247 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 10 March 2010 - 12:56 AM

Also, look in the History for a show that has been deleted and let us know that the reason it states how/why the show was deleted.

- Merg

Today's problems don't worry me, I haven't solved yesterday's yet.

SlimLine-3 Dish w/ SWM16 (HD Service / WHDVR) / Full Setup
HR34-700 / Panasonic TC-P50G25 HDTV / HDMI / Networked - DECA / Family Room
HR44-700 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

HR24-100 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

#4 OFFLINE   DTVFans

DTVFans

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 16 posts

Posted 10 March 2010 - 01:11 AM

It is an R16-300. When we check in the History, every show says: "Title No Longer Available: No Information Available."

#5 OFFLINE   RobertE

RobertE

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,024 posts

Posted 10 March 2010 - 06:19 AM

How many episodes of any given show is it keeping? What are your "keep at most" settings set to?
Have an Error or Diagnostic code? Find out what it means and how to fix it here: Click Me
Having issues with your HD locals? Report them here: Click Me
Is your receiver compatible with MRV? Check Here

#6 OFFLINE   carl6

carl6

Hall Of Fame

• Moderators
  • 10,810 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 10 March 2010 - 10:29 AM

Can you give us some specific examples of shows that have been deleted? Are these pay per views, series links recorded from what channels, etc.? Also, how long have the recordings been saved on the dVR before you are trying to watch them?

The more information you can provide, the better someone will be able to figure out what might be happening and offer help.

#7 OFFLINE   Shades228

Shades228

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 5,914 posts

Posted 10 March 2010 - 08:19 PM

What are your default recording settings?

#8 OFFLINE   DTVFans

DTVFans

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 16 posts

Posted 11 March 2010 - 04:30 AM

How many episodes of any given show is it keeping? What are your "keep at most" settings set to?

It is very random. Sometimes, it will keep some shows for up to 2 weeks... then there are other shows, new or re-runs, that it will delete after it recorded them after 2-4 hours.

Can you give us some specific examples of shows that have been deleted? Are these pay per views, series links recorded from what channels, etc.? Also, how long have the recordings been saved on the dVR before you are trying to watch them?

Tuesday night, 90210 on CW (local channel) 7-8pm, it recorded the 1 hour program, and it did show up on our Playlist. Then later that same night, at around 11pm, it was gone. When we looked in the History, it always says "Cancelled", with no further information available.

Another example: the Closing Olympic Ceremonies on NBC, it did record, kept it 2 days, then it was gone from the playlist, again with no info, only said "Cancelled".

But it is not just the local channels doing this.

We tape many movies from LMN & Hallmark channels, and the exact same thing happens. We taped "Turner & Hooch" a few days ago on FX, and it kept it for 1 day, then gone.

We also taped "G.I. Jane" on Lifetime, but this one, showed that it was recording during the time frame.. but never did show up in the Playlist.

We do not watch Pay-Per-View, and never have.

What are your default recording settings?

Episode Type: Both
Keep At Most: All Episodes
Keep Until: Disk Is Full
Start: On Time
Stop: On Time

We have also tried the setting "Until I Delete" it, but the same thing happens. We always have at least 90% available space.

#9 OFFLINE   ThomasM

ThomasM

RF Engineer

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,317 posts
  • LocationMilwaukee, WI

Posted 11 March 2010 - 10:04 AM

I have several suggestions:

1. Try resetting everything. (Unfortunately, you will lose what recordings the thing has decided not to delete). Go to the SETUP menu choose RESET and then select "RESET EVERYTHING". This will also reset your dish type so you need to know before you do this what kind of dish you have. To determine this, before you do the reset, go to the SETUP menu and choose "INFO and TEST". This will display a list of settings/options and one of them is dish type.

2. After you go through the questions it asks after the complete reset, choose a few shows from the guide to record. DO NOT change any other options or create any series links (prioritizer entries). See if these shows get deleted. After a few days if they are still around, set up a couple series link shows. Again, see if they stick around or get deleted.

3. If everything is fine up to this point, the problem may have been due to data corruption (perhaps from the previous user if the unit is "reconditioned"), or some of your own settings.

4. If the DVR still likes to delete shows on it's own, it has an internal problem which could be either the HDD or the electronics themselves. At this point to avoid further frustration, I'd call DirecTV and tell them all the things you've tried. Then I'd request a replacement unit. Maybe they will even waive the $20 S & H charge if you do not have the protection plan.

3LNB Phase III Dish * 2-R15-300 * R22-200 * D12-100 * DirecTV Subscriber since Y2K

#10 OFFLINE   carl6

carl6

Hall Of Fame

• Moderators
  • 10,810 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 11 March 2010 - 10:06 AM

At the risk of losing all recordings (which will happen), I would suggest doing a "reset everything" from the reset menu and starting over clean. If the problem persists after that, you need a replacement DVR.

Edit: Oops, I see ThomasM beat me to the advice as I was typing it.

#11 OFFLINE   Shades228

Shades228

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 5,914 posts

Posted 11 March 2010 - 04:54 PM

The only thing that I've seen that can cause this, other than what they told you, is a rampant recording.

Do you record sporting events or live events around the same time you see this happen?

#12 OFFLINE   DTVFans

DTVFans

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 16 posts

Posted 14 March 2010 - 02:49 PM

We will try the Reset option, and see how it gos. Thank you all for your help, it is way more than DirecTV ever offered!

We'll give it a few days, and let you know how it is working out.

#13 OFFLINE   Thaedron

Thaedron

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,886 posts

Posted 28 March 2010 - 11:42 AM

Did you try the "reset all"? Did it work?
Main viewing system HR20-100 via SWM-8, using HDMI, networked, using DirecTV on Demand and MRV!
Samsung HLT-5689S | Oppo DV-981HD | Denon AVR-4306 | QNAP TS-219P NAS and Media Server

Full Setup

Proud supporter of the HR20 Wish List Survey

spam firewall