Welcome to DBSTalk
Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
- Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
- Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
- Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
- Customize your profile page and make new friends
Please help: DVR has mind of its own!!
Posted 10 March 2010 - 12:32 AM
This is the second DVR unit in 1 year that has done the exact same thing. And DirecTV is of absolutely no help at all, they keep telling us that "someone in the house must be deleting the programs", but since there are only 2 adults in our house, we know we are not doing anything to prompt this.
Does anyone have any ideas on how to fix this problem? We will be forever grateful! The reason we have to have DirecTV, is because where we live, cable is not available to us, and DishNetwork does not offer all of the channels we want.
Posted 10 March 2010 - 12:51 AM
Receivers: H25-500 HD Receiver; H21-100 HD Receiver
Mobile Devices: Nomad
Additional equipment configuration details
Sun & moon help site your satellite dish
Posted 10 March 2010 - 12:56 AM
Today's problems don't worry me, I haven't solved yesterday's yet.
SlimLine-3 Dish w/ SWM16 (HD Service / WHDVR) / Full Setup
HR34-700 / Panasonic TC-P50G25 HDTV / HDMI / Networked - DECA / Family Room
HR44-700 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom
HR24-100 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom
Posted 10 March 2010 - 01:11 AM
Posted 10 March 2010 - 06:19 AM
Having issues with your HD locals? Report them here: Click Me
Is your receiver compatible with MRV? Check Here
Posted 10 March 2010 - 10:29 AM
The more information you can provide, the better someone will be able to figure out what might be happening and offer help.
Posted 10 March 2010 - 08:19 PM
Posted 11 March 2010 - 04:30 AM
How many episodes of any given show is it keeping? What are your "keep at most" settings set to?
It is very random. Sometimes, it will keep some shows for up to 2 weeks... then there are other shows, new or re-runs, that it will delete after it recorded them after 2-4 hours.
Can you give us some specific examples of shows that have been deleted? Are these pay per views, series links recorded from what channels, etc.? Also, how long have the recordings been saved on the dVR before you are trying to watch them?
Tuesday night, 90210 on CW (local channel) 7-8pm, it recorded the 1 hour program, and it did show up on our Playlist. Then later that same night, at around 11pm, it was gone. When we looked in the History, it always says "Cancelled", with no further information available.
Another example: the Closing Olympic Ceremonies on NBC, it did record, kept it 2 days, then it was gone from the playlist, again with no info, only said "Cancelled".
But it is not just the local channels doing this.
We tape many movies from LMN & Hallmark channels, and the exact same thing happens. We taped "Turner & Hooch" a few days ago on FX, and it kept it for 1 day, then gone.
We also taped "G.I. Jane" on Lifetime, but this one, showed that it was recording during the time frame.. but never did show up in the Playlist.
We do not watch Pay-Per-View, and never have.
What are your default recording settings?
Episode Type: Both
Keep At Most: All Episodes
Keep Until: Disk Is Full
Start: On Time
Stop: On Time
We have also tried the setting "Until I Delete" it, but the same thing happens. We always have at least 90% available space.
Posted 11 March 2010 - 10:04 AM
1. Try resetting everything. (Unfortunately, you will lose what recordings the thing has decided not to delete). Go to the SETUP menu choose RESET and then select "RESET EVERYTHING". This will also reset your dish type so you need to know before you do this what kind of dish you have. To determine this, before you do the reset, go to the SETUP menu and choose "INFO and TEST". This will display a list of settings/options and one of them is dish type.
2. After you go through the questions it asks after the complete reset, choose a few shows from the guide to record. DO NOT change any other options or create any series links (prioritizer entries). See if these shows get deleted. After a few days if they are still around, set up a couple series link shows. Again, see if they stick around or get deleted.
3. If everything is fine up to this point, the problem may have been due to data corruption (perhaps from the previous user if the unit is "reconditioned"), or some of your own settings.
4. If the DVR still likes to delete shows on it's own, it has an internal problem which could be either the HDD or the electronics themselves. At this point to avoid further frustration, I'd call DirecTV and tell them all the things you've tried. Then I'd request a replacement unit. Maybe they will even waive the $20 S & H charge if you do not have the protection plan.
3LNB Phase III Dish * 2-R15-300 * R22-200 * D12-100 * DirecTV Subscriber since Y2K
Posted 11 March 2010 - 10:06 AM
Edit: Oops, I see ThomasM beat me to the advice as I was typing it.
Posted 11 March 2010 - 04:54 PM
Do you record sporting events or live events around the same time you see this happen?
Posted 14 March 2010 - 02:49 PM
We'll give it a few days, and let you know how it is working out.
Posted 28 March 2010 - 11:42 AM
Samsung HLT-5689S | Oppo DV-981HD | Denon AVR-4306 | QNAP TS-219P NAS and Media Server
Proud supporter of the HR20 Wish List Survey