Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Sonic Tap - 1 Month Later - No Progress

• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   MikeW

MikeW

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,548 posts

Posted 10 March 2010 - 01:05 AM

So is this where we stand for now and forever more? I've submitted my complaints to Sonic Tap, Called DirecTV, sent a couple of e-mails through customer support and all I get is lip service. It is very disappointing that the powers that be at DirecTV consider this product acceptable. I truly hoped there was going to be some tweaks made to the service, but my hope has faded.

DirecTV and SonicTap should be embarrassed by this product and should see to it that, at a bare minimum, the sound quality would be equal to XM. It is not. As a matter of fact, the sound quality for some SonicTap channels isn't even the same as some other SonicTap channels...how bizarre.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 ONLINE   scott0702

scott0702

Legend

• Registered
  • 214 posts

Posted 10 March 2010 - 01:46 AM

So is this where we stand for now and forever more? I've submitted my complaints to Sonic Tap, Called DirecTV, sent a couple of e-mails through customer support and all I get is lip service. It is very disappointing that the powers that be at DirecTV consider this product acceptable. I truly hoped there was going to be some tweaks made to the service, but my hope has faded.

DirecTV and SonicTap should be embarrassed by this product and should see to it that, at a bare minimum, the sound quality would be equal to XM. It is not. As a matter of fact, the sound quality for some SonicTap channels isn't even the same as some other SonicTap channels...how bizarre.

I think many of us have tried between Sonic Tap and Directv. Some channels are just painful to listen to. I've noticed Adult Contemporary, Groove Lounge, Classic R&B and many more are bad. I thought I noticed a bit of an improvement last night on those channels but then I turned them on today and it was back to sounding really bad.

Sonic Tap does listen to emails and I get personal responses. Emailing Directv is completely useless. They agree it's bad and are working with Directv to correct the sound, but I think their hands are tied.

It may be time for a Sirius XM online subscription or better yet.. the iPod where I am in control :-).

#3 OFFLINE   Cyber36

Cyber36

Legend

• Registered
  • 274 posts
  • LocationByron NY

Posted 10 March 2010 - 08:53 AM

Why do you think they went to Sonic in the first place?? To cut their costs, what else? Do you really think a cadillac is the same as a cavalier?? They don't really care how it sounds as long as it's saving the company X dollars per year. Just business folks..........

#4 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 10 March 2010 - 09:02 AM

There is already and existing Sonic thread...
DTV = Digital Television

#5 OFFLINE   Avder

Avder

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,395 posts

Posted 10 March 2010 - 10:39 AM

Why do you think they went to Sonic in the first place?? To cut their costs, what else? Do you really think a cadillac is the same as a cavalier?? They don't really care how it sounds as long as it's saving the company X dollars per year. Just business folks..........

Even a Cavalier can drive nicely if its properly maintained...

And so today I am listening to my MP3 collection as I do crap rather than Sonic Crap. I've moved on.

#6 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 10 March 2010 - 10:49 AM

Even a Cavalier can drive nicely if its properly maintained...

And so today I am listening to my MP3 collection as I do crap rather than Sonic Crap. I've moved on.

I wont even listen to mp3s because compared to the real thing they also sound like crap....FLAC, monkey audio, etc...the lossless formats are fine, but lossy is just lousy...

#7 OFFLINE   kmax

kmax

AllStar

• Registered
  • 76 posts

Posted 10 March 2010 - 10:59 AM

I've noticed Adult Contemporary, Groove Lounge, Classic R&B and many more are bad.

821 (Adult Contemporary) is so bad it is laughable.

#8 OFFLINE   MikeW

MikeW

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 2,548 posts

Posted 10 March 2010 - 11:06 AM

Cost cutting is fine. Yes, there should be some savings in the fact that their is no "live talent" talking through every song. There could also be reasons why XM/Sirius did not want to continue having their service distributed in this manner. But the bottom line is...they have channels that sound pretty decent. They then have channels that sound horrible. Why can't the engineers give them all the same sound quality and volume level.

There is already and existing Sonic thread...

I realize that. The thread is nearly a month old as well. There were links in the thread that gave us steps we could take to make our complaints known, and those complaints fell on deaf ears. Hoping another thread might bring some light to the issue.

#9 OFFLINE   sswheeler

sswheeler

Legend

• Registered
  • 126 posts

Posted 10 March 2010 - 11:09 AM

If there are going to cut cost, get rid of it. I am sure some people like it, but give me a break. Radio sux in the Des Moines area, but I won't even listen to Sonic Tap. I would pay for SAT radio!!!!!

HR44-700/AM21

C41

HR21-200
R22-100(HD)
H25-100
D12-100

D12-100
SWM 16
AU9

Exede Internet (Cuz I live in the country and can't get anything else)

#10 OFFLINE   kmax

kmax

AllStar

• Registered
  • 76 posts

Posted 10 March 2010 - 11:21 AM

If there are going to cut cost, get rid of it. I am sure some people like it, but give me a break. Radio sux in the Des Moines area, but I won't even listen to Sonic Tap. I would pay for SAT radio!!!!!

Well, they would then be at a competitive disadavantage since every other provider has the 'token' music channels. They would have to deduct the number of channels from their advertising if they tossed them.

Obviously the bean counter department went for the best deal. Which is fine, I understand that since I make those decisions almost daily. But at the same time, if something doesn't work out or is viewed as a complete failure, changes get made. Given the size of the organization it will take a while for the discontent to reach those that have the power and have the freedom to make the changes. Changes in this case means upping the bandwidth or whatever else is required.

#11 OFFLINE   mdavej

mdavej

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,249 posts

Posted 10 March 2010 - 11:41 AM

The point is we had decent Sat radio on D*, then they took it away, but we're still paying for it! If they cut my bill, then sure, I'd have no problem taking that money and putting it toward a real Sat radio subscription. But they didn't. They actually raised prices and removed services.

What if D* suddenly deleted several of your favorite TV channels? Would you just suck it up and add a cable subscription? No, you'd be mad.

#12 OFFLINE   pbg

pbg

Godfather

• Registered
  • 435 posts

Posted 10 March 2010 - 11:53 AM

For me, it starts with the programming. I think it's been determined that Sonic Tap's primary target customer is retail shops. One has to believe that because of this, a certain amount of censorship is occurring and the programming will suffer.

When was the last time you heard 'Pusher Man' at a Pottery Barn?

The bottom line is, it doesn't matter what the quality of the stream is if the programming is poor, or is not tailored to individuals. Last week I laid down my 400$ and got a life XM subscription. now at least I don't have to worry about it - Unless XM goes belly up :)

#13 OFFLINE   Jon J

Jon J

Grouch Extrordinaire

• Registered
  • 1,155 posts
  • LocationMusic City, USA

Posted 10 March 2010 - 12:47 PM

My tastes in XM music were very narrow...50's and Escape.

With SonicTap the 50's channel is okay and they've revised Escape to really be smooth, background type music.

Guess you would have to put me down as mostly satisfied.
When news breaks...we fix it.

#14 OFFLINE   dcowboy7

dcowboy7

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,650 posts
  • LocationPequannock, NJ

Posted 10 March 2010 - 12:59 PM

Directv said as soon as they resolve the "channels i get" issue they will move on to the Sonic issue. :grin:

#15 OFFLINE   dvdmth

dvdmth

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,016 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 10 March 2010 - 03:02 PM

Personally, I like the selection of SonicTap channels better overall than the Sirius/XM channels that came before it. I hear the audio issues people complain about, but for me it's not too bad (easily beats FM quality even with the audio issues). The Music Choice channels on cable are definitely better sounding, but the selection isn't as good (they used to be great back when DirecTV had them, not anymore IMO).

My biggest issue is the poor song ID updates, but that issue started back in December, well before the switch, so that can't be blamed on SonicTap specifically (though it does annoy me that they haven't addressed it yet).

The primary reason these music channels exist, as I see it, is to boost channel count. All providers have them in one form or another, and if any of them don't their competitors can claim they have more channels based on that alone. I don't think the channels are a high priority for DirecTV (or anyone else), so issues with them tend to take weeks, if not months, to resolve (I'm going on past experience with both cable and satellite providers).

#16 OFFLINE   ffemtreed

ffemtreed

Icon

• Registered
  • 960 posts

Posted 10 March 2010 - 03:28 PM

Does anyone know if they plan on moving those channels off of the 119 sat??

I would really like to get some of those channels and since they put an SL3 at my new house I don't have access to the channels. I thought the 119 thing was temporary while they were just getting the new service started.

#17 OFFLINE   scoop8

scoop8

Godfather

• Registered
  • 482 posts
  • LocationDallas TX

Posted 10 March 2010 - 03:36 PM

Does anyone know if they plan on moving those channels off of the 119 sat??

I would really like to get some of those channels and since they put an SL3 at my new house I don't have access to the channels. I thought the 119 thing was temporary while they were just getting the new service started.

Good question, one that I've asked here and the other site. I've read 2 different answers about the SonicTap channels. One post said that there are no SonicTap channels on 119 , while another post said there is.

All I know is that, with my '99 Sony dish (I assume that it only receives 101 & 103?) and SD D11 Box, I can't get some of the channels, but with my SL5 (3 LMB's) (with an HR-22 Box) I get all of them.
DirecTV Subs since '99 - Currently out of contract
Prog Svc: DTV Premier Pkg, NFL ST, MLB EI, CI
Dish: Slimline 5LNB
Receivers: HD-DVR HR22-100, HD H23-600
Display: PANNY Plasma TH50PZ85U
DVD Player: Std Upconvert Region-Free Pioneer DV-400V

#18 OFFLINE   tbpb3

tbpb3

Legend

• Registered
  • 153 posts

Posted 10 March 2010 - 03:37 PM

I can not believe that so many"Audiophiles" listen to music on their T.V.'s!
I have always considered these services background music at best.People need to move on!
Directv since 1994

#19 OFFLINE   scoop8

scoop8

Godfather

• Registered
  • 482 posts
  • LocationDallas TX

Posted 10 March 2010 - 03:44 PM

I have always considered these services background music at best.People need to move on!

Just me, but I listen to the SonicTap channels in a remote PC/Study Rm with 2 speakers via my HR22 (RF remote mode) Box from the SL5 3Lmb dish. My Home Ent Receiver is in Stereo mode.

For my use, it sounds ok, easily not as good as a CD but I use the music as a semi-background mode while I'm on the PC.

My take on the switch to Sonictap is mostly positive but that's based on my main listening to the Jazz channels and the 855 vocal channel. I've found that the playlists have featured many of my own CD tracks as well as Jazz tracks that I haven't head before SonicTap. I know that the sound Q isn't as good as XM/Siruis, but overall I give the new switch a "plus" but with more work needed to improve audio Q.
DirecTV Subs since '99 - Currently out of contract
Prog Svc: DTV Premier Pkg, NFL ST, MLB EI, CI
Dish: Slimline 5LNB
Receivers: HD-DVR HR22-100, HD H23-600
Display: PANNY Plasma TH50PZ85U
DVD Player: Std Upconvert Region-Free Pioneer DV-400V

#20 OFFLINE   MikeW

MikeW

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 2,548 posts

Posted 10 March 2010 - 03:58 PM

Many of us "Audiophiles" connect our DirecTV receivers to our home theater system and listen with a little more than the TV speaker.

Even as background music, some channels don't cut it. The pulsating effect of the volume normalizer can be very distracting, thus ruining the effect of "background" music.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...