Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Sonic Tap - 1 Month Later - No Progress

• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   Avder

Avder

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,395 posts

Posted 10 March 2010 - 05:46 PM

I wont even listen to mp3s because compared to the real thing they also sound like crap....FLAC, monkey audio, etc...the lossless formats are fine, but lossy is just lousy...

Depends on how modern the encoder is, as well as how high the bitrate goes. Old mp3s from 8-10 years ago tend to sound bad no matter what bitrate was used as the encoders there often took shortcuts to cut down on encoding time, as well as the algorithms used were simply less efficient.

I ripped all of my CDs a year or two ago using LAME to cough out high bitrate VBR files and then did normalization using one of those programs that implements replay-gain. My collection sounds terrific now and its all very shuffle-friendly.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   wilbur_the_goose

wilbur_the_goose

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,393 posts

Posted 10 March 2010 - 06:12 PM

I can not believe that so many"Audiophiles" listen to music on their T.V.'s!
I have always considered these services background music at best.People need to move on!

I don't listen to them on TV. I have my HR20-700 hooked up digitallly to my Denon AVR-5803. XM used to sound pretty good. Sonic Tap sounds horrible.

#23 OFFLINE   ThomasM

ThomasM

RF Engineer

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,317 posts
  • LocationMilwaukee, WI

Posted 11 March 2010 - 10:29 AM

The point is we had decent Sat radio on D*, then they took it away, but we're still paying for it! If they cut my bill, then sure, I'd have no problem taking that money and putting it toward a real Sat radio subscription. But they didn't. They actually raised prices and removed services.

On the same day!!! (February 9th)

What if D* suddenly deleted several of your favorite TV channels? Would you just suck it up and add a cable subscription? No, you'd be mad.

Not that I am a sports fan but they did delete VERSUS and people are STILL complaining about it!! I also used to like CCTV-9 (in English) and that vanished also. Come to think about it, has DirecTV added ANY SD channel in recent memory??? (And don't you dare say such-and-such shopping channel!!!) ;)

3LNB Phase III Dish * 2-R15-300 * R22-200 * D12-100 * DirecTV Subscriber since Y2K

#24 OFFLINE   ThomasM

ThomasM

RF Engineer

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,317 posts
  • LocationMilwaukee, WI

Posted 11 March 2010 - 10:32 AM

When was the last time you heard 'Pusher Man' at a Pottery Barn?

The other day it played "Hand in My Pocket" by Alannis Morissete, and the title info onscreen actually said "(clean version)". :D

3LNB Phase III Dish * 2-R15-300 * R22-200 * D12-100 * DirecTV Subscriber since Y2K

#25 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,794 posts

Posted 11 March 2010 - 02:58 PM

Do you really think a cadillac is the same as a cavalier??

Remember the Cadillac Cimmaron? It was a Cavalier. :)

#26 OFFLINE   mweathers

mweathers

AllStar

• Registered
  • 78 posts

Posted 11 March 2010 - 09:59 PM

I know there a people on this forum that either work for DirecTV or know someone that does. Why can't someone communicate with us about why the sound quality is so bad? As for the programming, I have found a few channels I like.....in fact more than I liked with XM. (I still have XM in my car.....and by the way IT sounds bad too. XM always sounded better on DirecTV than on their own equipment!!!!). But the sound is really bad on most of the channels now, but not all. And yes, a LOT of us "audiophiles" are just that. We don't listen to ANY of the DirecTV channels through a TV. That's half of what Home Theater is all about.....Good Sound is as important as a good picture.

#27 OFFLINE   Nicholsen

Nicholsen

Godfather

• Registered
  • 391 posts

Posted 11 March 2010 - 09:59 PM

Weak programming, worse sound, and a horrible disappointment overall.

#28 OFFLINE   bones boy

bones boy

Godfather

• Registered
  • 274 posts

Posted 12 March 2010 - 01:38 PM

When was the last time you heard 'Pusher Man' at a Pottery Barn?

!rolling

I heard "My Dougie" at an REI store once.

#29 OFFLINE   Sea bass

Sea bass

Icon

• Registered
  • 659 posts

Posted 19 March 2010 - 02:28 PM

The other day it played "Hand in My Pocket" by Alannis Morissete, and the title info onscreen actually said "(clean version)". :D

Hilarious!:lol::lol::lol:

#30 OFFLINE   subeluvr

subeluvr

Icon

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmatio
  • 534 posts

Posted 19 March 2010 - 02:35 PM

Weak programming, worse sound, and a horrible disappointment overall.

And the song remains the same... weak programming, worse sound, and a horrible disappointment overall

#31 OFFLINE   jollygrunt

jollygrunt

Mentor

• Registered
  • 42 posts

Posted 19 March 2010 - 06:57 PM

I recently went over to my cousin's house. She has Dish network, and she had it on Sirius all evening. After listening to and seeing it again, I really miss what Sirius. I'm not an audiophile so I can't speak as to the sound quality issues that many are having, but my biggest gripe is also, I believe, the most glaring. On Sirius, the song information updates quickly when a song changes and when one changes to other music channels. Sonictap is just glacially slow in comparison.

When is DirecTV going to get sonictap to at least improve that issue? :mad:
Time Warner Cable/Roadrunner/VOIP
AT&T/DirecTV - Family
SBC/DISH: 4/15/05 - 2-13-09
Time Warner Digital Cable: 2002 - 4/16/05
DirecTV: 2000 - 2002
Primestar: 1995 - 2000
Analog Cable: 1992 - 1995

#32 OFFLINE   ThomasM

ThomasM

RF Engineer

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,317 posts
  • LocationMilwaukee, WI

Posted 19 March 2010 - 07:04 PM

I recently went over to my cousin's house. She has Dish network, and she had it on Sirius all evening.

Tell her to enjoy Sirius until the contract expires. Then DISH will switch to some other service just like DirecTV did when they saw how much money Mel wanted to continue to offer Sirius/XM. :D

#33 OFFLINE   rigel

rigel

• Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 22 March 2010 - 07:30 PM

I cannot believe the inept programming that Sonic Crap has. The New Age channel plays the Morman Tabernacle choir, salsa, seedy lounge and elevator! If it is on at all......it goes off for 20 minutes at a time. I'm so upset!

#34 OFFLINE   anleva

anleva

Icon

• Registered
  • 567 posts

Posted 22 March 2010 - 07:37 PM

I cannot believe the inept programming that Sonic Crap has. The New Age channel plays the Morman Tabernacle choir, salsa, seedy lounge and elevator! If it is on at all......it goes off for 20 minutes at a time. I'm so upset!

Just pretend you are shopping for cutlery. Then the inane Sonic Tap programming will make perfect sense. :D

#35 OFFLINE   wilbur_the_goose

wilbur_the_goose

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,393 posts

Posted 22 March 2010 - 08:48 PM

Speaking of New Age, here's their playlist from the last few hours:

When Song Title Artist Album
19:54:20 MST Old Times Amy Camie Solo Acoustic Harp
19:52:30 MST Rise Coyote Oldman House Made Of Dawn
19:47:34 MST Annapurna-the Towering Sky Mark Hunton Annapurna The Towering Sky
19:43:33 MST Time Stops Suzanne Ciani Dream Suite
19:39:27 MST Gol Na Mban San Ar William Coulter And Mary McLaug Celtic Dream
19:36:30 MST Cloudburst George Winston Plains
19:33:15 MST Everywhere Bill Douglas Stepping Stones
19:28:20 MST Winds Of Change Marina Raye Blissful Journey
19:21:44 MST Oceania Max Lasser A Different Kind Of Blue
19:18:00 MST A Kiss Of The Sunlight Paul Cardall Looking Glass, The
19:15:24 MST Children's Dance Alex de Grassi Sanctuary
19:10:11 MST Clearing In The Air Dean Evenson Forest Rain
19:07:24 MST Butterfly Kevin Kern The Enchanted Garden
19:03:24 MST Road To Hanna Shadowfax Too Far To Whisper
18:56:58 MST Winter's Chapel Jonn Serrie Tingri

#36 OFFLINE   Newshawk

Newshawk

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,427 posts

Posted 22 March 2010 - 10:08 PM

Rigel misses XM Sirius's Spa channel. I know... I'm married to her! :icon_kiss

(So be nice to her, guys!)

Oh, and on a unrelated note, this is post #2,000 for me! :blowout:

Edited by Newshawk, 22 March 2010 - 10:15 PM.

DIRECTV employee April 2004-November 2012.
The above comments are my own because I don't know if anyone would care about my opinions anymore.

#37 OFFLINE   djrobx

djrobx

Godfather

• Registered
  • 502 posts

Posted 26 March 2010 - 08:29 PM

On Sirius, the song information updates quickly when a song changes and when one changes to other music channels. Sonictap is just glacially slow in comparison.

When is DirecTV going to get sonictap to at least improve that issue? :mad:

Please complain to DirecTV on Twitter about this issue. People have stated that DirecTV does monitor that. Slow updates actually did not start with SonicTap. The lagging updates were happening on the Sirius/XM channels for about a month or so before the switch.

I've been monitoring this. Sometimes it's fast, other times it can take over 2:30 to fully populate the title, artist, and CD fields. When it was working correctly under Sirius/XM, the artist/title would blank out at the beginning of a new song, so at least you didn't have the wrong information on screen.

spam firewall