Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Showtime Free Preview - March 25-28...

• Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   erosroadie

erosroadie

Godfather

• Registered
  • 388 posts

Posted 10 March 2010 - 08:18 AM

From D* website...

The SHOWTIME® All-Access Free Trial

DIRECTV and SHOWTIME bring you 9 channels of the latest movies
and hottest new TV shows—all FREE and all weekend long! Offer is
valid from 3/25 to 3/28. Don't miss it!

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   trdrjeff

trdrjeff

Icon

• Registered
  • 759 posts

Posted 17 March 2010 - 09:53 PM

:biggthump This should be one the front page news
HR20-100
Sharp 52" LCD 1080p
Yamaha YSP Sound Projector fed with Optical
Harmony 700

HR22-100
32" Samsung LED New School

#3 OFFLINE   Indiana627

Indiana627

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,174 posts

Posted 18 March 2010 - 07:19 AM

I took a look through the guide and didn't recognize hardly any of the movies they are showing. When did they stop showing A-list movies on Showtime?
Mark

"We named the dog Indiana."
Family Room: HR24-100; WD10EVCS 1TB drive in Antec MX-1; connected via HDMI to Denon AVR-2313CI; 5.1 setup with Boston Acoustics A250 fronts, A225C center, A25 surrounds, ASW650 sub; video to Sony 52W4100 via HDMI; hardwired to Linksys WRT54G
Bedroom: HR21-200 with AM21 & Philips PHDTV1 Antenna, HDMI to Dynex 32" TV; hardwired to Linksys WRT54G
(1) Slimline 3 LBN dish (2 lines direct to each HR2x. No multiswitch.)
D* since January 2003

#4 OFFLINE   mcbeevee

mcbeevee

97% Complete

• Registered
  • 1,281 posts

Posted 18 March 2010 - 07:32 AM

When did they stop showing A-list movies on Showtime?

Showtime did get Quantum of Solace and Transporter 3, but they will not be on until April.

:)

#5 OFFLINE   mdavej

mdavej

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,246 posts

Posted 18 March 2010 - 08:46 AM

These free previews are great for reminding me NOT to ever get Showtime.They're showing the same junk that was in the last preview several months ago. I don't see how anyone can justify these premiums anymore when netflix has it all, including all their original programming (if you can wait until the end of the season).

#6 OFFLINE   Steveknj

Steveknj

Icon

• Registered
  • 922 posts

Posted 18 March 2010 - 08:48 AM

I had SHO for a few months as my "anniversary gift" last year, and outside of US of Tara, and Dexter, I hardly ever watched it. Even their boxing has gotten lame. But I'm sure I'll find one or two things on there to record next weekend.

#7 OFFLINE   Paul Secic

Paul Secic

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,078 posts

Posted 19 March 2010 - 12:49 PM

I took a look through the guide and didn't recognize hardly any of the movies they are showing. When did they stop showing A-list movies on Showtime?

I've got AEP which has all of the channels Dish has. However I don't watch Showtime at all, because they seem to have movies I've never heard of.

Enjoying AT 250 HBO, 

Equipment: VIP 722 reciever

#8 OFFLINE   mpar1

mpar1

AllStar

• Registered
  • 89 posts

Posted 19 March 2010 - 01:17 PM

These free previews are great for reminding me NOT to ever get Showtime.They're showing the same junk that was in the last preview several months ago. I don't see how anyone can justify these premiums anymore when netflix has it all, including all their original programming (if you can wait until the end of the season).

If you like boxing and MMA, that's the draw. Were it not for those 2 things, I would have nothing to do with Showtime or HBO. Real Sports I also like but not enough to pay for HBO just to have it.

#9 OFFLINE   tkrandall

tkrandall

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,795 posts

Posted 19 March 2010 - 03:29 PM

DirecTV has thrown free Showtime gifts at me twice. I have found very litle to watch on any of it's channels - the content simply does not appeal to me.

#10 OFFLINE   RACJ2

RACJ2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,841 posts

Posted 19 March 2010 - 05:24 PM

I actually prefer Showtime over the other premium channels because of their original programming. Shows like Dexter and Nurse Jackie as well as Inside the NFL. I'm going to have to sign back up after the free preview, since the new season of Nurse Jackie starts this weekend.
HR34-700, HR22-100

#11 OFFLINE   Grentz

Grentz

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,916 posts

Posted 21 March 2010 - 09:16 AM

On weekend previews you miss a lot of the primetime series like Dexter, United States of Tara, Nurse Jackie, Californication, Penn & Teller, etc. that people get it for.
-Grentz
Subscriber since Oct. 1996
HR21-700, HR22-100, H24-100 (SWM)
~Detailed Setup~

Directv Signal Strength Posting Tool - Excel Ver. Web Ver.

#12 OFFLINE   VLaslow

VLaslow

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,282 posts

Posted 21 March 2010 - 10:03 AM

Well, Harvard Beats Yale 29-29 ought to be good. Free is good any time!

#13 OFFLINE   andy4theherd

andy4theherd

Mentor

• Registered
  • 30 posts

Posted 24 March 2010 - 06:52 AM

will Showtime On Demand work during the preview? I'd like to download Weeds season 5.

#14 OFFLINE   Bsquared

Bsquared

AllStar

• Registered
  • 77 posts

Posted 24 March 2010 - 08:31 AM

will Showtime On Demand work during the preview? I'd like to download Weeds season 5.

According to their website, it looks like it does include on demand.

http://www.sho.com/s...preview/home.do

#15 OFFLINE   LarryFlowers

LarryFlowers

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,290 posts

Posted 24 March 2010 - 09:00 AM

Showtime is in serious trouble.

Showtimes parent CBS refused in 2008 to continue to pay some $380+million dollars in licensing fees to a group of hollywood studios that included Viacom, Paramount, Lionsgate & MGM.

The dispute has remained unresolved and is why there is so little to watch on Showtime.

You may notice that these same studios are the ones that make up the new EPIX movie channel.

Now you know thw rest of the story....
Larry R. Flowers
Winder (Atlanta) GA
Twitter @larryflowers
HR20-700 HR23-700 H24-100
1st DirecTV Receiver Install Nov 1994
i'm a PC Guy

#16 OFFLINE   Renard

Renard

Godfather

• Registered
  • 389 posts

Posted 24 March 2010 - 09:06 AM

This time more people will know that they have a free preview. I recieved a mail on my Hr20 telling me about the free preview. It seems that Directv has started to use more and more TVMail (I got 6 Mails on my Hr20).

#17 OFFLINE   markrubi

markrubi

Icon

• Registered
  • 690 posts

Posted 24 March 2010 - 09:07 AM

I've had Showtime free for the past year and just got another 3 months loyalty extension. I have watched maybe 2 movies the whole time. IMO there's not much worth watching on Showtime. Bring back Bizzare with John Byner then it might change my opinion. Take me back to my youth and sneaking back into the living room after bedtime to watch it. :lol:

#18 OFFLINE   Jon J

Jon J

Grouch Extrordinaire

• Registered
  • 1,154 posts
  • LocationMusic City, USA

Posted 24 March 2010 - 11:26 AM

In the recent past I recorded a couple of movies during a free preview but when I tried to watch them after the preview was over I got a message about access denied or some such. I still couldn't watch the recordings.

Wonder if this one will work the same way. :confused:
When news breaks...we fix it.

#19 OFFLINE   ciurca

ciurca

Godfather

• Registered
  • 428 posts

Posted 24 March 2010 - 11:45 AM

FWIW, I think Showtime is the dog of the premiums. No wonder D* gives it away as comp all the time.
HR34
HR23
Slingbox Pro HD

Twitter -> @saltwater_rider
Facebook -> facebook.com/craig.ciurca

#20 OFFLINE   skyboysea

skyboysea

Icon

• Registered
  • 540 posts

Posted 24 March 2010 - 12:01 PM

Just a reminder: OnDemand downloads are not playable after the preview is over. I don't know if you can dump them on DVD or VCR.

spam firewall