Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Showtime Free Preview - March 25-28...

• Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   Paul Secic

Paul Secic

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,169 posts

Posted 24 March 2010 - 12:04 PM

Showtime is in serious trouble.

Showtimes parent CBS refused in 2008 to continue to pay some $380+million dollars in licensing fees to a group of hollywood studios that included Viacom, Paramount, Lionsgate & MGM.

The dispute has remained unresolved and is why there is so little to watch on Showtime.

You may notice that these same studios are the ones that make up the new EPIX movie channel.

Now you know thw rest of the story....

No Wonder Showtime is lousy!

Enjoying AT 250 HBO, 

Equipment: VIP 722 reciever

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   Paul Secic

Paul Secic

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,169 posts

Posted 24 March 2010 - 12:15 PM

I've had Showtime free for the past year and just got another 3 months loyalty extension. I have watched maybe 2 movies the whole time. IMO there's not much worth watching on Showtime. Bring back Bizzare with John Byner then it might change my opinion. Take me back to my youth and sneaking back into the living room after bedtime to watch it. :lol:

WOW!! Bizzare was my favorite show back in the early 80's. They only had one channel then. Remember Super Dave Osborn? What a riot!

Enjoying AT 250 HBO, 

#23 OFFLINE   Steveknj

Steveknj

Icon

• Registered
  • 926 posts

Posted 24 March 2010 - 12:30 PM

I've had Showtime free for the past year and just got another 3 months loyalty extension. I have watched maybe 2 movies the whole time. IMO there's not much worth watching on Showtime. Bring back Bizzare with John Byner then it might change my opinion. Take me back to my youth and sneaking back into the living room after bedtime to watch it. :lol:

Where Super Dave Osbourne got his start :) I also remember a show called Brothers in that era. One of the first adult comedies, along with Dream On on HBO, that I can remember :)

#24 OFFLINE   mogulman

mogulman

Godfather

• Registered
  • 472 posts

Posted 24 March 2010 - 12:58 PM

I just finished my 3 month anniversary gift of showtime. Couldn't find anything worth watching or recording and I checked a few times. What a waste... It wasn't worth my time adding the channels into my favorite list. Next time I won't bother.

#25 OFFLINE   Dave DFW

Dave DFW

AllStar

• Registered
  • 58 posts

Posted 24 March 2010 - 02:19 PM

I'm just coming to the end of my 3 month gift. Nice gesture by D*, but in 3 months I only watched a couple of programs - would never pay for Showtime. Maybe HBO as the gift next time around?

#26 OFFLINE   ThomasM

ThomasM

RF Engineer

• Registered
  • 4,317 posts
  • LocationMilwaukee, WI

Posted 24 March 2010 - 05:40 PM

If you like the movies on Showtime, a much better value is the new ULTIMATE package which is only $5 more than Choice Xtra and includes both East and West Movie Channel feeds. The Movie Channel has all the same films Showtime does, and Ultimate also includes FLIX and SUNDANCE. But best of all, it includes the Encore movie channels too!

3LNB Phase III Dish * 2-R15-300 * R22-200 * D12-100 * DirecTV Subscriber since Y2K

#27 OFFLINE   tkrandall

tkrandall

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,795 posts

Posted 24 March 2010 - 08:40 PM

I'm just coming to the end of my 3 month gift. Nice gesture by D*, but in 3 months I only watched a couple of programs - would never pay for Showtime. Maybe HBO as the gift next time around?

Never heard of anyone getting HBO as anniversary gift.

#28 OFFLINE   RawisTheGameHhH

RawisTheGameHhH

AllStar

• Registered
  • 63 posts

Posted 25 March 2010 - 05:13 AM

will Showtime On Demand work during the preview? I'd like to download Weeds season 5.

it doesn't look like it; I just tried to download an episode of Californiacation and it said I need to purchase the channel first

#29 OFFLINE   paulman182

paulman182

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,838 posts

Posted 25 March 2010 - 06:30 AM

If you like the movies on Showtime, a much better value is the new ULTIMATE package which is only $5 more than Choice Xtra and includes both East and West Movie Channel feeds. The Movie Channel has all the same films Showtime does, and Ultimate also includes FLIX and SUNDANCE. But best of all, it includes the Encore movie channels too!

Not much HD there, however (but I do have the package.)

Equipment includes a buncha stuff that I no longer have interest in detailing

#30 OFFLINE   trainman

trainman

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,495 posts
  • LocationSherman Oaks, CA

Posted 25 March 2010 - 08:54 AM

In the recent past I recorded a couple of movies during a free preview but when I tried to watch them after the preview was over I got a message about access denied or some such. I still couldn't watch the recordings.

I end up recording a couple of movies during pretty much every premium channel free preview, and sometimes don't get around to watching them for months -- I have never had this problem.

However, those are always regular DVR recordings. As others have noted, it may be a different story with on-demand content.
trainman is Jim Ellwanger

HR34-700 | Linksys WGA-600N | Samsung 46" LCD | Slimline-5 dish

#31 OFFLINE   islesfan

islesfan

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,652 posts
  • LocationNevada

Posted 25 March 2010 - 08:57 AM

Wow, no wonder they can't give Showtime away! Aside from Dexter, the channel has nothing. A bunch of C-list, direct to DVD movies from five years ago. Now I know why Showtime exists. Every time someone calls DirecTV to complain about something, they just give you three months of Showtime for free to shut you up.

Sony Bravia 55"
HR20-700
HR21-700
HDMI
HP Touchsmart IQ 846 (Windows 8) for DirecTV2PC and Media Share

GenieGO

iPhone 4S

iPad

#32 OFFLINE   Paul Secic

Paul Secic

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,169 posts

Posted 25 March 2010 - 10:00 AM

Where Super Dave Osbourne got his start :) I also remember a show called Brothers in that era. One of the first adult comedies, along with Dream On on HBO, that I can remember :)

The actor who played Super Dave plays on Curb Your Entusiasm on HBO. Brothers was good also. The first gay show.

Enjoying AT 250 HBO, 

#33 OFFLINE   Mark Walters

Mark Walters

Legend

• Registered
  • 240 posts

Posted 25 March 2010 - 10:30 AM

TMCeHD channel 554 - grainy picture? Anyone notice the SD feed looks better than HD? Why is that?

#34 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 25 March 2010 - 10:36 AM

Wow, no wonder they can't give Showtime away! Aside from Dexter, the channel has nothing. A bunch of C-list, direct to DVD movies from five years ago. Now I know why Showtime exists. Every time someone calls DirecTV to complain about something, they just give you three months of Showtime for free to shut you up.

You should give Nurse Jackie and United States of Tara a try. Both are great original series on Showtime.
DTV = Digital Television

#35 OFFLINE   islesfan

islesfan

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,652 posts
  • LocationNevada

Posted 25 March 2010 - 12:30 PM

You should give Nurse Jackie and United States of Tara a try. Both are great original series on Showtime.

Tried Nurse Jackie briefly the last time D* gave me free SHowtime. Didn't like it. Penn & Teller was good through, I forgot that one.

I just buy the Dexter DVDs anyway, so problem solved.

Sony Bravia 55"
HR20-700
HR21-700
HDMI
HP Touchsmart IQ 846 (Windows 8) for DirecTV2PC and Media Share

GenieGO

iPhone 4S

iPad

#36 OFFLINE   DBSooner

DBSooner

Legend

• Registered
  • 177 posts

Posted 25 March 2010 - 02:22 PM

Dexter, Californcation, United States of Tara, and Penn & Teller's B.S. are the only things I ever watch on SHO. Showtime gets the HBO, Starz, and Cinemax leftovers when it comes to movies.
D* subscriber since 2002

HD DVR - HR21-100
HD DVR - HR21-100
HD - H21-100

If I think before I post, I might not post at all. :)

#37 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 25 March 2010 - 02:28 PM

Well, the good news is that Showtime often does a good job of respecting OAR. While they may not always offer topnotch films...at least they don't butcher and mutilate them as often as HBO, Starz, and Cinemax.
DTV = Digital Television

#38 OFFLINE   prushing

prushing

Icon

• Registered
  • 557 posts

Posted 25 March 2010 - 03:12 PM

it doesn't look like it; I just tried to download an episode of Californiacation and it said I need to purchase the channel first

yeah I tried some of the series, even the one Nurse Jackie that said it was free

#39 OFFLINE   bpaulson

bpaulson

Legend

• Registered
  • 112 posts

Posted 25 March 2010 - 11:29 PM

Not working yet... maybe they haven't switched it over yet...

#40 OFFLINE   mdavej

mdavej

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,251 posts

Posted 26 March 2010 - 08:35 AM

Not working yet... maybe they haven't switched it over yet...

We've never gotten on demand during previews. In spite of what the showtime site says, we won't get it this time either. Sorry.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...