Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

HD-DVD question....(dont laugh...read on)

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   grafixfreak

grafixfreak

AllStar

• Registered
  • 85 posts

Posted 10 March 2010 - 11:09 AM

...I know the format is dead. But there are great deals on some decent movies out there... I have been considering buying an HD-DVD player for my Xbox 360 ($50+ online) and was seeking some feedback from anyone who might have (or still) use it. How is the quality of picture? etc...

Thanks
p.s. I hope this in the correct forum

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   sdicomp

sdicomp

Godfather

• Registered
  • 318 posts

Posted 10 March 2010 - 11:14 AM

My only advice is get one of Toshiba's 'A' series players. They are ROCK SOLID, and are the BEST upconverters you can get! As far as the quality of HD DVDs, if you get an A20, 30, or 35, they are as good as bluray! The 1080i models aren't bad either.
Charter Digital Cable(w/FREE HD)
Charter Motorola HD DVR into Mitsubishi WD-65738 via HDMI(through Yamaha RX-V673)-networked w/Buffalo WAP
Charter Motorola HD DVR into Dynex DX-32L150A11 via HDMI

#3 OFFLINE   grafixfreak

grafixfreak

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 85 posts

Posted 10 March 2010 - 11:19 AM

Thanks for the feedback...
This was kind of spontaneous idea. I thought of the player for xbox because I noticed they were inexpensive--some of those Toshiba players are a little more than I expected for a "dead" format...
side note: I was trying to do this without my wife noticing the "investment" (in this case more is not better :lol:)

#4 OFFLINE   roadrunner1782

roadrunner1782

Icon

• Registered
  • 748 posts

Posted 10 March 2010 - 12:38 PM

Whichever way you go you won't be disappointed with the picture quality. I still use my HD DVD player on a regular basis and don't care that the technology is dead. Plus you can find some amazing deals on HD DVD movies online.

#5 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,870 posts

Posted 10 March 2010 - 12:48 PM

The Toshiba upconverter is a great one, I'll agree, but there are numerous cheap Toshiba players that upconvert almost as well. I had an HD-DVD player and did enjoy it, but moved on to Blu-ray about 18 months ago.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#6 OFFLINE   Chris Blount

Chris Blount

Creator of DBSTalk

• Administrators
  • 17,176 posts

Posted 10 March 2010 - 01:11 PM

I still have a small library of HD-DVD's and use my A-35 player for any upconversion duties. IMHO, the PQ on HD-DVD's look almost identical to Blu-Ray. I'm still very happy with how the format performs.

It might be a dead format but in my household, HD-DVD is still alive and well (along side my Blu-Ray collection and players).

#7 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,617 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 10 March 2010 - 01:11 PM

There was a time when some Best Buy and a few other stores still had those HD-DVD add-ons for the X-Box for <$30... so you might want to look around a bit before you jump if you do decide to go that way.

I still have my Toshiba HD-DVD player as a backup device... but have been using a Samsung HD/Blu combo player for the last year or two so I can keep playing the HD-DVDs I own.

I was in an FYE (usually overpriced) store recently and they had some ~$6 HD-DVDs that I looked at, but had all the ones I wanted already... so there are still some deals to be had.

-- Respect the S.H.I.E.L.D.

#8 OFFLINE   grafixfreak

grafixfreak

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 85 posts

Posted 10 March 2010 - 04:29 PM

I know...thats what got me thinking about hunting for a HD_DVD player-the deals on some good movies. A Toshiba player would be nice (if I could find one that I could justify to my wife who doesnt understand why I need another dvd player..."you already have one..") or a combo player but it seems like there are many places (on the net) that seem to have the add-on for xbox for a steal. I think I might take the plunge in that direction (unless I can find one of the other players at a steal). If it doesnt work out (or I lose interest) I will not feel so bad putting it in the basement with my VCRs...

Well the hunt begins.....
(and filling out the requisition forms in triplicate with my wife....:lol:)

#9 OFFLINE   sdicomp

sdicomp

Godfather

• Registered
  • 318 posts

Posted 11 March 2010 - 06:32 AM

Good Luck grafix! I have seen several of the Toshiba A series 1080p machines go for around 65 bucks. If you go on ebay, make sure you 'grill' the seller as to the condition of the machine! I have an A30, and it is a WONDERFUL machine!
Charter Motorola HD DVR into Mitsubishi WD-65738 via HDMI(through Yamaha RX-V673)-networked w/Buffalo WAP

#10 OFFLINE   mystic7

mystic7

Icon

• Banned User
  • 632 posts

Posted 11 March 2010 - 06:52 AM

I still have a small library of HD-DVD's and use my A-35 player for any upconversion duties. IMHO, the PQ on HD-DVD's look almost identical to Blu-Ray. I'm still very happy with how the format performs.

It might be a dead format but in my household, HD-DVD is still alive and well (along side my Blu-Ray collection and players).

Ditto. I don't usually buy DVD's anymore but I did buy all of the Harry Potter movies when they first came out in HD-DVD. Naturally I was pissed that Warner's wasn't going to complete the series in HD-DVD. So I got a blu-ray player as well. My Toshiba is a 1080i and the pq is great, every bit as good as BluRay (my plasma tv is 1080i also, yeah, I'm an early adapter, grrrrr), and it has all the audio decoders built in, whereas my Sony BluRay does not, so I have to listen to crappy audio with the bluray... sorry, kind of got off topic there. I saw a Toshiba top of the line HD-DVD player for 70 bucks once, they have to be cheaper now.

#11 OFFLINE   sdicomp

sdicomp

Godfather

• Registered
  • 318 posts

Posted 11 March 2010 - 11:38 AM

If it doesnt work out (or I lose interest) I will not feel so bad putting it in the basement with my VCRs...

Well the hunt begins.....
(and filling out the requisition forms in triplicate with my wife....:lol:)

Trust me! If you get one of the Toshiba players, you will not put it in the basement! It is worth keeping around for the upconversion alone! And cheap HD DVDs are just another plus!

#12 OFFLINE   grafixfreak

grafixfreak

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 85 posts

Posted 11 March 2010 - 12:30 PM

Ok Im leaning more towards getting one...
Are there any Toshiba models I should avoid? Any particular one I should pursue?

Like I mentioned earlier, I was originally thinking of the xbox add-on (since they seem to be plentiful and inexpensive), Im sure there are differences between the add-on and the Toshiba but are the differences drastic, ie-sound quality, picture quality. The reason I ask this, because all the reviews I have read about both (Toshiba and xbox add-on), they do state that the Toshiba is capable of decoding the "hi-def" sound but that the add-on is not (but those reviews were pre-hdmi). Does anyone know if the add-on is capable of decoding via hdmi or does it revert to dts or dolby digital?

Thanks, I appreciate everyone's feedback-much more informative than dated reviews on the internet.

Edit: Sorry for so many questions...

Edited by grafixfreak, 11 March 2010 - 03:12 PM.

#13 OFFLINE   sdicomp

sdicomp

Godfather

• Registered
  • 318 posts

Posted 11 March 2010 - 08:16 PM

As far as I have heard, all the 'A' series Toshiba players are ROCK solid. I have seen the A2, A20, A3, and have an A30. If I had my choice, I would pick the A20, A30, or A35(simply because they are the 1080p models). But, on the other hand, there's nothing wrong with the 1080i models(A2 & A3)either. I have seen the picture on both of the 1080i's and it is almost as good as the 1080p models.

Edited by sdicomp, 30 June 2010 - 09:34 AM.

#14 OFFLINE   PTown

PTown

Legend

• Registered
  • 199 posts

Posted 11 March 2010 - 10:48 PM

You can find xbox360 add-ons for $25 or less consistently. I paid $25 after shipping for a refurb one and it works great. I also have an A2 and LG combo drive. PQ is better on the A2, but it also costs 3x as much and the difference between that and the 360 isn't 3x better.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...