Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of DBSTalk by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Service Plan cancellation policy per Executive Office

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,132 posts
  • LocationNorthern California Redwoods

Posted 10 March 2010 - 11:17 AM

On another thread, because of what appeared to be confusing policy, I posted the text of of an email I sent to ceo@dishnetwork.com as follows:

I have been advised that if I subscribe to the Dish Service Plan and later want to cancel it, I will be charged $25.00 for the cancellation even if I don't cancel it until next year. Yet the "DISH Network Service Plan Terms and Conditions" linked on your DISH Service Plan web site states as follows:

9. Cancellation : You may cancel this Plan at any time by calling DISH Network at 1-800-333-DISH (3474). If You cancel this Plan within the first thirty (30) days after receipt of this Plan, You will be charged a cancellation fee of $25.00. If this Plan was inadvertently sold to You on a Product which was not intended to be covered by this Plan, DISH Network will cancel this Plan and return the full purchase price of the Plan to You.

Since I tend to rely on the written documents instead of your customer service personnel, I am concerned that the document on the web site is incorrect even though the web site appears to have been completely updated and the bottom of web page includes ©Copyright 2010, DISH Network L.L.C., all rights reserved.

Could someone please clarify this for me.

I received the following from Executive Communications in response to my email:

Thank you for your email.

I would like to specify that the cancellation fee for the Dish Service Plan was initially set up for customers who would like to participate in upgrades and technician visits but only want to pay $15.00 to do so and add the Service Plan for $6.00 and remove it within weeks. There are exceptions we can make but is it determined on a case by case basis. We make this determination based on the account history. If you do decide to add the Service Plan please let me know.

Please let me know if you have any additional questions or would like to discuss this matter further.

This is a bit "fuzzy" as policy, but obviously for many here who have followed the practice of adding the plan on Monday morning, calling for service on Monday afternoon, getting the work done on Wednesday at a greatly reduced price, and calling to cancel the plan on Thursday, that isn't going to work any more. Not that it should have been possible to do that before....;)

Edited by phrelin, 10 March 2010 - 11:23 AM.

"In a hundred years there'll be a whole new set of people."
"Always poke the bears. They sleep too much for their own good."

"If you're good enough, they'll talk about you." - Tom Harmon
A GEEZER who remembers watching TV in 1951 and was an Echostar customer from 1988 to 2008, now a Dish Network customer.
My AV Setup
My Slingbox Pro HD Experience
My Blog: The Redwood Guardian

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Daddy Freddy

Daddy Freddy

Mentor

• Registered
  • 30 posts

Posted 10 March 2010 - 12:59 PM

very fuzzy....I hope to be able to cancel on day 31. Maybe we should agree to using that "fuzzy" lang into their 2 year comm agreement....Maybe I'll sign up for 2 years...maybe I won't...who am I kidding that won't work...Jeeeez

#3 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,010 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 10 March 2010 - 01:18 PM

If everyone is being honest... this policy change wouldn't even have been necessary if people weren't abusing the old home protection plan by adding it, then canceling it the next day.

This is the same reasoning behind why Dish (and others) have those $5-$10 programming downgrade fees... because people used to add a channel for a day and then cancel the next day and pay less than $1.

-- My cat's breath smells like cat food.

#4 OFFLINE   SayWhat?

SayWhat?

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,414 posts

Posted 10 March 2010 - 03:15 PM

This is the same reasoning behind why Dish (and others) have those $5-$10 programming downgrade fees... because people used to add a channel for a day and then cancel the next day and pay less than $1.

Fine, then apply the downgrade fee in those cases, but not when someone has had the service for years.
Help stamp out Twits and Twitterers!

HD, SchmacHD!! Just be glad you've got a picture at all.

#5 OFFLINE   TulsaOK

TulsaOK

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,469 posts

Posted 10 March 2010 - 03:39 PM

If everyone is being honest... this policy change wouldn't even have been necessary if people weren't abusing the old home protection plan by adding it, then canceling it the next day.

Why, then, did Dish allow this? The CRS's had suggested doing this when someone would call in and didn't have the protection but didn't want to pay for a service call/replacement receiver. I never understood the logic behind this but now everyone seems to be affected because of Dish's absurd policy. I had the $1.99 DHPP plan for years until they raised it to $5.99. Sometimes I wonder who's setting the policy at Dish.
<span style='font-size: 10px;'>“Life is hard; it's harder if you're stupid.”<br /> - John Wayne</span><br /><br />Avatar: Tanner 1992 - 2009

#6 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 13,132 posts
  • LocationNorthern California Redwoods

Posted 10 March 2010 - 03:43 PM

Sometimes I wonder who's setting the policy at Dish.

Well, as I always say, key management team members clearly must include Larry, Darryl and Darryl, plus Ernestine.;)

"In a hundred years there'll be a whole new set of people."
"Always poke the bears. They sleep too much for their own good."

"If you're good enough, they'll talk about you." - Tom Harmon
A GEEZER who remembers watching TV in 1951 and was an Echostar customer from 1988 to 2008, now a Dish Network customer.
My AV Setup
My Slingbox Pro HD Experience
My Blog: The Redwood Guardian

#7 OFFLINE   puckwithahalo

puckwithahalo

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,286 posts

Posted 10 March 2010 - 06:22 PM

Why, then, did Dish allow this? The CRS's had suggested doing this when someone would call in and didn't have the protection but didn't want to pay for a service call/replacement receiver

Suggesting adding and replacing by an agent is directly against business rules. If they got caught doing that by quality assurance, just say it wouldn't be a pleasant day for them.
The postings on this site are my own and don't represent Dish's positions, strategies, or opinions.

-Puck

#8 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,010 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 10 March 2010 - 06:24 PM

Fine, then apply the downgrade fee in those cases, but not when someone has had the service for years.

I thought that was what was being put into effect... that you would be subject to a cancellation fee if you had the DHPP less than a month, but not if you had it for more than a month.

#9 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,010 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 10 March 2010 - 06:28 PM

Why, then, did Dish allow this? The CRS's had suggested doing this when someone would call in and didn't have the protection but didn't want to pay for a service call/replacement receiver.

Take your pick:

1. CSRs not knowing the policy and suggesting things that were wrong (CSRs have a reputation for not always knowing company policy unfortunately).
2. No one was paying attention.

Keep in mind that for years Dish was also "allowing" people to have distant local channels that they shouldn't have... and that was actually violating a law that ultimately resulted in Dish being prevented from offering distant locals for a couple of years now.

The internet is also rampant with stories about how people have "Gamed" various companies, stores, etc. and were able to take advantage and do things that they shouldn't have been able to do.

I've been given incorrect change and actually profited from buying food at a fast food restaurant and didn't notice the extra money until I got home...

The moral, essentially, is just because you get away with it doesn't mean it was supposed to happen.

Dish is apparently looking to close the DHPP loophole in the way they tried to do with people who used to add HBO for a weekend prize-fight and then drop the next day. Seems like the same thing to me.

They used to let you do it... now they don't.

#10 OFFLINE   JConly

JConly

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 19 posts

Posted 10 March 2010 - 06:42 PM

The CRS's had suggested doing this when someone would call in and didn't have the protection but didn't want to pay for a service call/replacement receiver.

Happened just two days ago. I moved locations. Called to have a tech come and realign the dish at my new residence. Was told to order the protection plan then cancel after the service call.

In the end I just had them cancel my service after being a customer for 12 years. They still get the last word by charging me shipping on returning my leased receiver.

#11 OFFLINE   fryguy503

fryguy503

Legend

• Registered
  • 159 posts

Posted 11 March 2010 - 12:49 AM

Happened just two days ago. I moved locations. Called to have a tech come and realign the dish at my new residence. Was told to order the protection plan then cancel after the service call.

In the end I just had them cancel my service after being a customer for 12 years. They still get the last word by charging me shipping on returning my leased receiver.

Aye as of 2/1 if you close an account out and you use our pre-paid labels its $15 per label.

If QA catches you offering DHPP and suggesting to remove it afterwards its either and Auto-Fail or Non-negotiable depending on the QA agent. Now they can suggest adding it and if asked they can explain it can be removed with a $25 penalty for removing.

Auto-Fail = Looks bad and effects their Pay for Performance bonuses can eventually get written up

Non-negotiable = Bad bad about 1 - 3 of these and you are terminated. These are things like, Not giving legal disclosures, refusing to assist, cussing, ending calls, etc.
The Postings on this site are my own and do not represent DISH Network's positions, strategies or opinions.

spam firewall