Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

What Channels Have HDCP?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Michael1

Michael1

Legend

• Registered
  • 132 posts

Posted 11 March 2010 - 09:20 AM

I remember reading that the pay channels such as HBO and Showtime had HDCP when HDCP first came out. Has this expanded to other channels on Dish?

Michael

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   BattleZone

BattleZone

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,969 posts

Posted 11 March 2010 - 09:27 AM

All of them have HDCP, but only a few have security restrictions above the bare minimums, and those are mostly PPV channels. Having said that, I would expect the premium movie channels to be the next to rachet up the restrictions, and perhaps eventually, some of the cable networks.

The main reason it hasn't been pushed harder is because HDCP wasn't available on early HDTVs, and they didn't want to anger early-adopters who spent a bunch of money on HD. But in a couple more years, they'll figure that those early adopters have replaced their 8-10 year old HDTV with a newer model (at least in their primary viewing area), and the vast majority of HDTV owners will have bought models that had HDCP, so by then, it won't matter if a few "2nd room" or "3rd room" TVs get locked out (really, they'll effectively be SDTVs for most content, not locked out entirely).

It's coming, just wait and see.

#3 OFFLINE   Michael1

Michael1

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 132 posts

Posted 11 March 2010 - 11:40 AM

What do you mean by the "bare minimums"? Isn't that enough to lock out any TV without HDCP?

Thanks.

Michael

#4 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,375 posts
  • LocationNorthern California Redwoods

Posted 11 March 2010 - 12:15 PM

My old Pany plasma only has component inputs. So if there is any meaningful HDCP locking out a TV for other than 1080p PPV I haven't seen it. I have HBO, Showtime, Starz, and Cinemax packages. I've tried Dish ONLINE content.

"In a hundred years there'll be a whole new set of people."
"Always poke the bears. They sleep too much for their own good."

"If you're good enough, they'll talk about you." - Tom Harmon
A GEEZER who remembers watching TV in 1951 and was an Echostar customer from 1988 to 2008, now a Dish Network customer.
My AV Setup
My Slingbox Pro HD Experience
My Blog: The Redwood Guardian

#5 OFFLINE   SaltiDawg

SaltiDawg

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,375 posts

Posted 11 March 2010 - 01:13 PM

My old Pany plasma only has component inputs. So if there is any meaningful HDCP locking out a TV for other than 1080p PPV I haven't seen it. I have HBO, Showtime, Starz, and Cinemax packages. I've tried Dish ONLINE content.

HDCP is not associated with Component. Also, HDCP is not a channel associated item. It is a device associated anti-copying protocol when devices are connected digitally. (HDMI, DVI, and some others with which I am not familiar.)

Individual programming events can set flags that will effect usage, but I am not familiar with this feature and I don't know if is accomplished with HDCP.

Edited by SaltiDawg, 11 March 2010 - 01:39 PM.

#6 OFFLINE   BattleZone

BattleZone

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,969 posts

Posted 11 March 2010 - 02:02 PM

HDCP means High-bandwidth Digital Content Protection. It is a copy protection system for digital connections (meaning: it by itself doesn't affect analog connections like component or VGA) that uses data "flags" embedded in programming content that set limits/requirements and uses encryption to resist hacking and to add legal protection (it is a violation of federal law to break this encryption under the DMCA).

Both DirecTV and Dish have certain channels that aren't viewable via a digital connection if all the devices in the signal chain aren't HDCP-compliant. It isn't that these are the only channels that have HDCP enabled, because they all do. It's that these channels are set to require an encrypted connection.

There is another digital "flag" called the Image Contraint Token that all consumer electronics that deal with "professional/Hollywood" digital video must by law observe. The ICT allows content providers to require a digital/HDCP-compliant video connection for content, so that analog outputs are either down-rezzed (typically to 480p) or are shut off entirely. To date, ICT has only been used for tests, and the Blu-Ray Disc Association has agreed not to release Blu-Ray titles with the ICT set until 2012, but sooner or later, content is going to require HDCP-compliant connections, and folks with older sets that have only component or non-HDCP-compliant DVI inputs won't be able to watch that content (or at least, not in HD).

Folks with HDMI TVs generally won't have a problem, but some early HDMI A/V receivers aren't HDCP compliant, and those folks will have a problem, and already do in some cases. The folks who will likely have a problem are the early adopters, who bought HD sets before all of the involved parties had come to an agreement on the implementation of a copy protection scheme for HD video, or those folks who were suckered by Mitsubishi into buying non-HDMI sets before and for a while after the standards were set.

See the Mitsubishi Promise:
http://www.highdeffo...hive/t-659.html
http://www.hdtvmagaz...opic.php?t=3374

#7 OFFLINE   Michael1

Michael1

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 132 posts

Posted 11 March 2010 - 03:39 PM

Very informative post. Thanks!

Which channels require the HDCP chain right now?

Michael

#8 OFFLINE   SayWhat?

SayWhat?

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,548 posts

Posted 11 March 2010 - 03:59 PM

Why do you need to know?
Help stamp out Twits and Twitterers!

HD, SchmacHD!! Just be glad you've got a picture at all.

#9 OFFLINE   SaltiDawg

SaltiDawg

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,375 posts

Posted 11 March 2010 - 04:31 PM

Why do you need to know?

Why would you challenge him? Do you know?:rolleyes:

#10 OFFLINE   tnsprin

tnsprin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,129 posts

Posted 12 March 2010 - 06:30 AM

Very informative post. Thanks!

Which channels require the HDCP chain right now?

Michael

Last check none have it active full time. Some have had it active for specific events.
Ex Dish subscriber
Fios TV subscriber on 3/8/10

#11 OFFLINE   Michael1

Michael1

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 132 posts

Posted 12 March 2010 - 11:45 AM

Thanks, that's good to know. I now know what to look for if some channels inexplicably drop out for no apparent reason in the future.

Thanks!

Michael

spam firewall