Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Dish Network Eastern Arc 1000.4 Dish Issues

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   ateet

ateet

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 27 posts

Posted 11 March 2010 - 06:19 PM

Hello Members,

I just got Dish Network 1000.4 Dish installed on 61.5/72.7/77 Eastern Arc. I only see one cable coming out of LNB which is directly connected to my VIP722 receiver. Should there be 3 cables or just one cable coming out of LNB to receiver ? I am confused since on 110/118.7/119 arc dishes I see 3 cables into a switch and then one cable into receiver. Would I also need a switch on 1000.4 dish ?

Also my VIP722 receiver is unable to recognize 72.7 and 77 satellite locations when I check installion & dish pointing menu. I only get 61.5 channels on my AT200 package. Not sure what could be the reason. Is this something wrong with how Dish itself is setup or installer messed up somewhere else ? Any help is appreciated.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   coldsteel

coldsteel

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,984 posts

Posted 11 March 2010 - 06:45 PM

The LNB has a built-in switch, so only the one cable is needed.

However, you are missing a lot. I'd call or chat and request a tech. You do have a 60-day warranty on work done.
DISH 625 dvr

The opinions posted on this site are my own and do not represent DISH Network's positions, strategies or opinions. Unless I decide to be bad or call out an idiot...

#3 OFFLINE   BobaBird

BobaBird

EKB Editor

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,022 posts

Posted 11 March 2010 - 06:49 PM

:welcome_s to DBSTalk!

One cable from the dish to the receiver, where a Separator feeds the receiver's 2 satellite tuner inputs. The Dish 1000.4 has 3 LNBs and an integrated DishPro Plus switch, so no external switch is needed.

The installer should not have left without verifying you can get all 3 satellites. If he provided a direct contact number, use it, otherwise call Dish and get someone back out.

If you have an international channel on 118.75, you can run a line from the dual-band LNB's 118 output to the LNB input on the 1000.4.
Charles @dishuser - a dynamic employee of Massive Veridian
Visit the EchoStar Knowledge Base
"The other guys charge $9.95/month to use tapeless record" - Dish Network Tech Forum, 8-6-01
"dual" is NOT the same as "Twin" - here's why

#4 OFFLINE   ateet

ateet

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 27 posts

Posted 11 March 2010 - 07:33 PM

Thank you very much BobaBird and coldsteel for your answers. The installer indeed only checked 61.5 and he said 72.7 and 77 will be available once VIP722 updates 3.00am overnite as it did not have latest firmware installed.

Also after going through 4 check steps on the Dish Pointing menu, I see that system says 61.5 has signal and 72.7/77 have connection to LNB but no signal. I believe installer might not have peaked signal properly on 72.7 satellite location.

#5 OFFLINE   fryguy503

fryguy503

Legend

• Registered
  • 159 posts

Posted 11 March 2010 - 08:50 PM

Thank you very much BobaBird and coldsteel for your answers. The installer indeed only checked 61.5 and he said 72.7 and 77 will be available once VIP722 updates 3.00am overnite as it did not have latest firmware installed.

*snip*

Complete and utter BS, RCVR forces an update on install. Yes it does update at 3am but it is required to do an update when activating the rcvr ( It will say Downloading Vital information )
The Postings on this site are my own and do not represent DISH Network's positions, strategies or opinions.

#6 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,757 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 11 March 2010 - 09:13 PM

You don't need any RCVR for take update ie download current version of FW.

At that "update" time the box doing NOTHING ! The reboot need to cleanup memory [RAM] leak from badly written SW.

[Too many misconceptions and urban legends in your baggage :)]

#7 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,505 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 11 March 2010 - 11:34 PM

Others have already beaten me to it... but one of the first things a receiver will try to do once connected and powered up is look for the latest firmware... so it sounds like your installer was in a hurry to leave before the job was done.

Assuming you did already take the latest firmware, it does sound like your dish might not be properly aligned for all the SAT locations. I always recommend being nice, but I'd definitely let whomever you talk to know that you are unhappy with the situation and how the installer left before verifying a proper install.

-- I like to go fast (not really)

#8 OFFLINE   ShapeShifter

ShapeShifter

Godfather

• Registered
  • 359 posts

Posted 12 March 2010 - 07:31 AM

Might it be worth running Check Switch once before calling the installer back? From the point dish screen, select Check Switch and follow the prompts.

From what you describe of the LNB status, it sounds like this was already done, so it might not help. But it shouldn't hurt, and there's a slight chance it might save a service call?

AT250, Locals, Platinum HD
Dish 500 (110 & 119) plus wing dish (61.5)
Living room: ViP612 to Yamaha receiver and JVC 42" 1080i 16:9 plasma
Bedroom: ViP612 to JVC 32" 1080i 16:9 CRT
Motorhome: ViP722, to Sharp 32" 1080i 16:9 LCD (TV1) and SD 4:3 CRT (TV2)

#9 OFFLINE   Michael P

Michael P

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,920 posts

Posted 13 March 2010 - 03:30 PM

Definitely sounds like a check switch is in order. If your previous setup (I presume you had one) was 119/110/61.5 then all your receiver will see is the one location it had previously had (61.5).
An E* subscriber continuously since February 1997.

#10 OFFLINE   jarvantgroup

jarvantgroup

Icon

• Registered
  • 546 posts

Posted 14 March 2010 - 06:48 PM

I agree with fryguy503. Its installers like this that give Dish Network and their installers (employee and contractor) a bad name. There has not been one rcvr that I've installed that had to do a 3am update to verify all orbital locations. Your installer definitely had problems picking up 72 and 77 and gave you a bunch of hogwash to cover up his inexperience. Once your dish is pointed properly and a check switch performed, you should see green blocks verifying connectivity/signal. The only issue you may encounter is the satellite numerical designation (61.5/72.7/77) not appearing above/below the green blocks. But after the initial download is performed, those numbers will appear. Don't waste your time trying to call the installer back. Contact Dish to have a more experienced installer get your dish pointed correctly. :icon_cool:icon_cool:icon_cool

#11 OFFLINE   ateet

ateet

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 27 posts

Posted 26 March 2010 - 02:05 PM

Thank you all for replying. Due to work I haven't been able to call up Dish. But I did some research myself and it seems that 61.5 is on Middle LNB which I believe is totally wrong. I covered the single LNB on right side with aluminium foil and I still got 61.5 channels.

That means that azimuth or elevation or skew are off. I have no self install experience on dish, but understand basic terminology, but it would be fun playing around with member's help !! My Zip code is 19701.

#12 OFFLINE   scooper

scooper

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,726 posts
  • LocationYoungsville NC

Posted 26 March 2010 - 02:13 PM

Much as I admire your gungho - it's pretty difficult to do without a meter. Put your meter on the LNB you're trying to aim. After you get a max on one, check the other 2 slots.

At least azimuth and elevation are off. Skew is something you set and forget.
as a start - you need to swing your dish about 10 degrees west and adjust the elevation

Been there, done that.

Edited by scooper, 26 March 2010 - 02:37 PM.

You CAN put antennas on your owned and/or controlled property...

http://www.fcc.gov/mb/facts/otard.html

#13 OFFLINE   ateet

ateet

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 27 posts

Posted 26 March 2010 - 02:39 PM

Can you recommend a meter. I have seen a few available for cheap, but I am sure many of you have more experience in using a particular one for newbie.

#14 OFFLINE   scooper

scooper

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,726 posts
  • LocationYoungsville NC

Posted 26 March 2010 - 02:41 PM

Can you recommend a meter. I have seen a few available for cheap, but I am sure many of you have more experience in using a particular one for newbie.

I used the $25 dollar one from here -
http://www.dishdepot...ite_finders.jsp

If I was doing this professionally - I'd want a professional meter - but for us DIYers - this will work well enough.
You CAN put antennas on your owned and/or controlled property...

http://www.fcc.gov/mb/facts/otard.html

#15 OFFLINE   Monongahelaman

Monongahelaman

• Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 11:02 AM

I want to beat an old dead horse!

Recently installed 1000.4 on tripod. Can only get 61.5. No matter how I aim it or check switch I only get 61.5. Could it be a bad LNB? Dish is no help!

Suggestions??

#16 OFFLINE   garys

garys

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,163 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 12:08 PM

You can try to use foil to cover the two lnb's that are close together to see if you are getting 61.5 on the correct lnb, the one spaced farther from the other two. Also, if you ran a check switch with only 61.5 in the matrix, the receiver may only be able to "see" that sat, disconnecting the coax and running a check switch will clear it to see other sats.
  • Michael P likes this

#17 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,505 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 22 March 2013 - 04:10 PM

It would help to know what receiver and the firmware level on that receiver. He could have an older firmware OR a non-MPEG4 receiver that might not think it is seeing the other satellites even if he has it aligned correctly.

#18 OFFLINE   Monongahelaman

Monongahelaman

• Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 07:08 PM

You can try to use foil to cover the two lnb's that are close together to see if you are getting 61.5 on the correct lnb, the one spaced farther from the other two. Also, if you ran a check switch with only 61.5 in the matrix, the receiver may only be able to "see" that sat, disconnecting the coax and running a check switch will clear it to see other sats.

Have tried the check switch with no coax. Have switched cable to different ports just in case. Will try the foil see what happens.

Thanks

#19 OFFLINE   Monongahelaman

Monongahelaman

• Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 07:18 PM

It would help to know what receiver and the firmware level on that receiver. He could have an older firmware OR a non-MPEG4 receiver that might not think it is seeing the other satellites even if he has it aligned correctly.

vip211k about 3 years old. firmware??

This receiver has worked correctly with 110/119 setup @ home in FL. It is now in WV on this 1000.4 It has also picked up 2 out of 3 using 1000.4 in VA. Have tried every trick Dish tech help could think of.??

Thanks

#20 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,505 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 23 March 2013 - 09:39 AM

211K should be fine. I asked about firmware because some older firmware didn't see all the SATs. You would have to ask someone more familiar with a 211K than I if that applies. The firmware version is on the Menu-Menu screen, but that might not be your problem.

spam firewall