Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Switch from DTV to Dish, finger on the trigger. Help pull my finger.

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   clotter

clotter

AllStar

• Registered
  • 105 posts

Posted 11 March 2010 - 06:25 PM

I have been a regular visitor to this forum over the past few years. Being a long time DTV customer, I mostly kept to that part of the forum. I have been reading the Dish sections recently to get me up to speed on what they’re all about and to hopefully make an informed decision to make a switch.

My current equipment is a HR21-100 in my theater room which is used primarily by me. It’s also used for nightly viewing of regularly recorded programs with the family. My wife primarily uses the R15-300 that’s in the living room to watch Dr. Phil, soaps, and all the stuff I won’t watch. We are both extremely unhappy with both of these DVR’s. :mad: We used to have Tivo units for HD and SD and loved them. This is the main reason I’m considering a switch. The other reason is that the price just keeps climbing. I’m grandfathered in on Total Choice at $57.49 per month. I have no other programming outside of HD and HD Extra. My bill is over $90 a month by the time all the other fees are added. My wife would just as soon drop satellite altogether and live with OTA which may not be the worst idea.

So my main reason for considering Dish is to get away from the DTV DVR’s and hopefully save a little money. I read all the Dish vs. DTV threads that I could find so I’m mainly looking for answers to things that are a little fuzzy to me yet. Please no debate on HD resolutions, I have read them. :rolleyes:

Fuzzy area #1.
I want a 722k with OTA module to replace the HR21-100. I just don’t know if there will be conflicts between the living room and theater room if I operate this in dual mode. I tend to record perhaps 80% OTA and routinely have two things recording at once. This is mostly during prime time. My wife records perhaps 50/50 OTA vs. satellite. Her recordings are probably 50/50 daytime vs. prime time. My son also records a lot of cartoons, but those could be recorded with a low priority just about any time. I would also like to be able to use the PIP feature and I understand that is only available in single mode. I don’t know how easy it is to switch modes. Based on this, would the 722 be the best option for me or am I better off also getting a 211 for the wife. (I don’t see the 211 on the Dish website) and an external hard drive. BTW, I love the ability for these DVR’s to use an external hard drive and will eventually spend the $40 to have this activated.

Fuzzy area #2.
The mythical 922 seems to be coming out sometime soon. If it actually is coming out soon, would I be better off waiting and trying to get this instead of the 722 or will this unit be above and beyond what Dish would give as standard equipment to a new customer?

Fuzzy area #3. My house is wired with RG59 from the OTA antenna to every room in the house. The theater room is directly below the living room, but the theater room is treated extensively for noise control and virtually sealed off from the rest of the house. If the 722 were operated in dual mode, I don’t completely understand if or how the existing RG59 that runs throughout the house could be used to get a signal from the 722 to the living room TV or other TV’s. I wouldn’t mind being able to watch satellite in my bedroom if it could be done through the cable that’s there, but the bedroom is on the opposite corner and 60’ away from anything else. What is the quality of the picture of TV 2 when the signal is coming from this cable as opposed to the RCA audio/video cables?

Fuzzy area #4.
With the Tivo vs. Dish thing ongoing, is this a poor time to make a switch?

Sorry for the long post but thanks to anyone that can help me with my fuzzy areas! :D

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,254 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 11 March 2010 - 06:50 PM

Fuzzy area #1. I want a 722k with OTA module to replace the HR21-100.

The ViP722K could replace both your existing DIRECTV DVRs when run in dual mode.

I would also like to be able to use the PIP feature and I understand that is only available in single mode. I don’t know how easy it is to switch modes.

Switching is relatively easy, but explaining to the spousal unit why you need to go to single mode probably isn't trivial.

Based on this, would the 722 be the best option for me or am I better off also getting a 211 for the wife.

The ViP211 has only one of each tuner. Depending on what she records, this could be a problem.

Fuzzy area #2.
The mythical 922 seems to be coming out sometime soon. If it actually is coming out soon, would I be better off waiting and trying to get this instead of the 722 or will this unit be above and beyond what Dish would give as standard equipment to a new customer?

The ViP722K and a ViP211K would be the standard issue. Rumors are that the ViP922 is going to be pretty pricey. It would be much safer to get a Slingbox and a netbook.

Fuzzy area #3.If the 722 were operated in dual mode, I don’t completely understand if or how the existing RG59 that runs throughout the house could be used to get a signal from the 722 to the living room TV or other TV’s.

The distribution output on the ViP722k essentially turns it into a two channel cable system. You can watch either TV1 or TV2 by tuning the appropriate channel. The RG59 can be used to distribute the signals throughout the house (with some limitations for signal loss).

Fuzzy area #4. With the Tivo vs. Dish thing ongoing, is this a poor time to make a switch?

No. TiVo hasn't attacked the ViP series yet and it isn't entirely likely that they'll survive long enough to get the chance.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#3 OFFLINE   clotter

clotter

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 105 posts

Posted 11 March 2010 - 08:54 PM

Thanks so much for the quick replies harsh!

The ViP211 has only one of each tuner. Depending on what she records, this could be a problem.

The spousal unit should be OK with this, that's the way the R15 works even though I think it's supposed to have dual tuners.

The ViP722K and a ViP211K would be the standard issue. Rumors are that the ViP922 is going to be pretty pricey. It would be much safer to get a Slingbox and a netbook.

Good point. Those features are not something I'm likely to use anyway.

The distribution output on the ViP722k essentially turns it into a two channel cable system. You can watch either TV1 or TV2 by tuning the appropriate channel. The RG59 can be used to distribute the signals throughout the house (with some limitations for signal loss).

Is this something I can count on the installer to do as part of a standard installation?

Thanks again!

#4 OFFLINE   RasputinAXP

RasputinAXP

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,135 posts

Posted 11 March 2010 - 09:22 PM

The RG59 can be used to distribute the signals throughout the house (with some limitations for signal loss).

Is this something I can count on the installer to do as part of a standard installation?

Absolutely. You just need to tell them which TV you want them to set up. I have a whole-house distribution point running TV2 everywhere. Mostly because I'm lazy :lol:

"Belligerent and numerous."

Sometimes I update the Dish Network FAQ

AT200, Hopper & 360 via HDMI to Onkyo 505 to basement 42" Westy, Hopper via Comp-over-Cat5 to living room 42" Vizio with a Roku 3, Joey to Toshiba 32" LCD with a Logitech Revue. You want fries with that? Pull up to the 2nd window.

#5 OFFLINE   Shades228

Shades228

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 5,914 posts

Posted 11 March 2010 - 10:40 PM

Based on your setup I'm failing to see how you will save money if that's the primary reason. You said you didn't like the DVR's sure but if fees are the main reason you're really going to the wrong place now if you want 2 dual tuner receivers.

#6 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,254 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 11 March 2010 - 11:56 PM

I have a whole-house distribution point running TV2 everywhere.

If you've got TV2 going everywhere, you've probably also got TV1 going everywhere too.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#7 OFFLINE   BattleZone

BattleZone

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,969 posts

Posted 12 March 2010 - 07:39 AM

One problem I see is that if you're already using the built-in RG59 to distribute OTA, you shouldn't even try to use it to distribute the sat signals (which could cause your OTA antenna to broadcast your TV1/TV2 signals), and there's a good chance that you'd get interference between the two anyway. So, if you're counting on using your existing cable, you'll need to decide: OTA or sat distribution.

#8 OFFLINE   Lazy Senior

Lazy Senior

Legend

• Registered
  • 134 posts

Posted 12 March 2010 - 08:03 AM

I just left DTV to Dish. I have noticed several things. The PQ is noticeably better on the HD channels on Dish. I also notice a better picture on SD. This really surprised me as I had thought DTV had the better Picture. I also notice MANY more HDTV channels. When I get my bill I will also notice less money leaving my checking account for TV service.

I had been with DTV for 6 years and tried for a week to get freebies for a new 2 yr commitment. They only offered me $100 off a HDR DVR and free HD service for a year. The Dish deal was much better and over a 2 year period will be much cheaper. Directv has since called me trying to sweeten their deal but it was too late.

#9 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,254 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 12 March 2010 - 08:48 AM

One problem I see is that if you're already using the built-in RG59 to distribute OTA, you shouldn't even try to use it to distribute the sat signals (which could cause your OTA antenna to broadcast your TV1/TV2 signals), and there's a good chance that you'd get interference between the two anyway. So, if you're counting on using your existing cable, you'll need to decide: OTA or sat distribution.

Your theory sounds good, but in practice it isn't all that scary. You can choose your two (2) distribution channels out of more than 40 UHF channels including the top 18 UHF channels that are no longer used for TV broadcast.

The modulators are pretty hot so you don't usually need a distribution amp.

#10 OFFLINE   clotter

clotter

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 105 posts

Posted 12 March 2010 - 08:59 AM

Based on your setup I'm failing to see how you will save money if that's the primary reason. You said you didn't like the DVR's sure but if fees are the main reason you're really going to the wrong place now if you want 2 dual tuner receivers.

The main reason is our dislike for the DTV DVR's. My wife immediately hated the switch from the Tivo unit and complains to this day. I didn't have too much of a problem early on but it's been a long, SLOW, I said SLOW, downhill slide from then.

I forgot to mention that I have Centurytel for phone and DSL. They also offer Dish, so if I bundle this with the phone and DSL, I will see an additional price break.

Thanks for pointing this out. This could be a problem and a reason I would decide to go with the second DVR. I don't want to lose my OTA. I get all the networks in HD for a total of 12 channels with three of these on CBS and four on PBS. I'm pretty sure the CW feed off Dish is not HD and one of our favorite shows is Supernatural.

I just left DTV to Dish. I have noticed several things. The PQ is noticeably better on the HD channels on Dish. I also notice a better picture on SD. This really surprised me as I had thought DTV had the better Picture. I also notice MANY more HDTV channels. When I get my bill I will also notice less money leaving my checking account for TV service.

That's great feedback. How do you like the Dish DVR's compared to DTV's?

#11 OFFLINE   SayWhat?

SayWhat?

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,504 posts

Posted 12 March 2010 - 09:27 AM

Help pull my finger.

I don't think so Tim.
Help stamp out Twits and Twitterers!

HD, SchmacHD!! Just be glad you've got a picture at all.

#12 OFFLINE   clotter

clotter

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 105 posts

Posted 12 March 2010 - 09:51 AM

I don't think so Tim.

Say What!! :D

#13 OFFLINE   clotter

clotter

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 105 posts

Posted 12 March 2010 - 09:53 AM

Your theory sounds good, but in practice it isn't all that scary. You can choose your two (2) distribution channels out of more than 40 UHF channels including the top 18 UHF channels that are no longer used for TV broadcast.

The modulators are pretty hot so you don't usually need a distribution amp.

So by choosing a channel that's not near others, this may work?

#14 OFFLINE   RasputinAXP

RasputinAXP

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,135 posts

Posted 12 March 2010 - 10:08 AM

yup.

If you've got TV2 going everywhere, you've probably also got TV1 going everywhere too.

Yeah, but now I'm running in Single mode anyway, so it's kinda moot.

"Belligerent and numerous."

Sometimes I update the Dish Network FAQ

AT200, Hopper & 360 via HDMI to Onkyo 505 to basement 42" Westy, Hopper via Comp-over-Cat5 to living room 42" Vizio with a Roku 3, Joey to Toshiba 32" LCD with a Logitech Revue. You want fries with that? Pull up to the 2nd window.

#15 OFFLINE   Lazy Senior

Lazy Senior

Legend

• Registered
  • 134 posts

Posted 12 March 2010 - 10:40 AM

That's great feedback. How do you like the Dish DVR's compared to DTV's?

With Directv I had a HR21 and a R15. Now with Dish I have a VIP722 and VIP612. The Dish DVR's have a better guide and are MUCH faster.

Watching TV is not a religion for me, like it is for so many here. I merely want the best value for my $$. I want a great picture with a huge selection of HD channels. Right now Dish provides this better than Directv. In 2 years this could change. If it does I would change too. FWIW I was with Directv years 1995-2000. Switched to Dish years 2000-2005. In 2005 I changed to Directv. Now in 2010 I am back with Dish.

The biggest change I see now is a better HD and SD picture from Dish. I too, have read ALL the pros-cons of picture rez etc here on DBS talk. The bottom line for me is the DISH picture IS noticeably better than Directv's. This REALLY surprised me. Picture Rez does not mean anything to me. I can not tell the difference between 720p or 1080i HD on my 2 -46 inch Samsung and Sony LCD's. Now Blu-Ray, thats a different story....

#16 OFFLINE   SaltiDawg

SaltiDawg

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,375 posts

Posted 12 March 2010 - 11:55 AM

So by choosing a channel that's not near others, this may work?

"Likely will" rather than "may."

Edited by SaltiDawg, 12 March 2010 - 12:01 PM.

#17 OFFLINE   Paul Secic

Paul Secic

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,070 posts

Posted 12 March 2010 - 01:00 PM

I had been with DTV for 6 years and tried for a week to get freebies for a new 2 yr commitment. They only offered me $100 off a HDR DVR and free HD service for a year. The Dish deal was much better and over a 2 year period will be much cheaper. Directv has since called me trying to sweeten their deal but it was too late.

Welcome to Dish!

Enjoying AT 250 HBO, 

Equipment: VIP 722 reciever

#18 OFFLINE   clotter

clotter

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 105 posts

Posted 13 March 2010 - 09:39 AM

Welcome to Dish!

Finger on trigger....BANG.