Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Just switched from DirecTv

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   tommydallas

tommydallas

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 15 posts

Posted 12 March 2010 - 08:34 AM

I just switched from DirecTV to Dish. Why? Price and HD Locals (I now live in MS and Direct doesn't offer the locals in HD). I got the DishAmerica package and a VIP722K DVR. I love DishAmerica, especially the price. The DVR is good, too, but, I am having some growing pains.

I have a few issues:

1) Is there a detailed FAQ (not some weak FAQ from Dish) which answers questions for newbies?
2) Is there a way to quickly erase a show after I have watched it?
3) How can swap between the 2 live buffers?
4) When using the PIP function (DVR in solo mode), how can I swap the 2 channels displayed so I can hear the sound from the one I am not currently hearing?
5) When using the PIP function, how can I change the channel of the channel displayed on the right?
6) When I am recording 2 shows and try to change the live channel I am watching, the DVR asks me if I want to cancel the recording I am watching. Is there a way to have it give me a choice of which of the 2 recording shows to cancel? Sometimes, I would rather cancel the other show.
7) Is there a way to program the functionality of the red, green, blue, yellow buttons on the remote? They seem to do nothing.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   fryguy503

fryguy503

Legend

• Registered
  • 159 posts

Posted 12 March 2010 - 09:14 AM

I just switched from DirecTV to Dish. Why? Price and HD Locals (I now live in MS and Direct doesn't offer the locals in HD). I got the DishAmerica package and a VIP722K DVR. I love DishAmerica, especially the price. The DVR is good, too, but, I am having some growing pains.

I have a few issues:

1) Is there a detailed FAQ (not some weak FAQ from Dish) which answers questions for newbies?
4) When using the PIP function (DVR in solo mode), how can I swap the 2 channels displayed so I can hear the sound from the one I am not currently hearing?
5) When using the PIP function, how can I change the channel of the channel displayed on the right?
6) When I am recording 2 shows and try to change the live channel I am watching, the DVR asks me if I want to cancel the recording I am watching. Is there a way to have it give me a choice of which of the 2 recording shows to cancel? Sometimes, I would rather cancel the other show.
7) Is there a way to program the functionality of the red, green, blue, yellow buttons on the remote? They seem to do nothing.

#1 - Ask your list of questions on here and we will do our best to answer, there is an old knowledge base at: http://www.dishuser.org/

#2 - When its finished iirc you get a prompt to keep or remove, or you can just hit the DVR button twice and it takes you to your recordings ( Something you get use to )

#3 - Not possible, Dont quote me on this but I believe thats a "Tivo" patent.

#4 - I believe you can hit the swap button, never used pip much, Obviously you must have a dual tuner rcvr setup in Solo mode for this to work.

#5 - I would just swap and change then swap back.

#6 - No, it will cancel the show thats recording on your current tuner. IE if you are in Room #1 it will cancel Room #1's recording, in room #2 it will cancel Room #2's recoding.

#7 - They are for future use, IE maybe sling features but thats just farting in the wind guessing.

Dish America is great for the price, I just wish it included all the new HD channels since late 2008+ The packages are essentially frozen in time.
The Postings on this site are my own and do not represent DISH Network's positions, strategies or opinions.

#3 OFFLINE   BattleZone

BattleZone

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,969 posts

Posted 12 March 2010 - 09:26 AM

[quote name='tommydallas']se a show after I have watched it?
3) How can swap between the 2 live buffers?[/QUOTE]

Hit the SWAP button.

[QUOTE]4) When using the PIP function (DVR in solo mode), how can I swap the 2 channels displayed so I can hear the sound from the one I am not currently hearing?[/QUOTE]

Hit the SWAP button.

[QUOTE]5) When using the PIP function, how can I change the channel of the channel displayed on the right?[/QUOTE]

Hit the SWAP button, change the channel, and SWAP it back. You can only change the channel on the left window.

[QUOTE]6) When I am recording 2 shows and try to change the live channel I am watching, the DVR asks me if I want to cancel the recording I am watching. Is there a way to have it give me a choice of which of the 2 recording shows to cancel? Sometimes, I would rather cancel the other show.[/QUOTE]

Hit the SWAP button to the show that you'd rather cancel, then make the channel change.

7) Is there a way to program the functionality of the red, green, blue, yellow buttons on the remote? They seem to do nothing.[/QUOTE]

Read the "Programming your remote" section in your user manual, or online here:

http://tech.dishnetwork.com and click REMOTES.

If you have the colored buttons, your remote is a learning remote, and you can program anything on those buttons.

#4 OFFLINE   GrumpyBear

GrumpyBear

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,233 posts

Posted 12 March 2010 - 09:37 AM

I have a few issues:

You are using the 722k in Single mode correct? If so

#1 http://www.dishnetwo...rs/default.aspx
You will find info on recievers and remotes.

#2 When the show ends and comes to a stop, you will see delete button press it.

#3 Press the "swap" button on your remote control

#4 When you have PiP going press the swap button this will swap between the 2 tuners.

#5 Depends on how big you have your PiP. For me when I have them set to about the same size, I can only change the one on the left, granted its the one you are hearing. If you have 1 large on small PiP, you change the Large Picture.

#6 If you don't have a free tuner, the active tuner, the one you are watching, will be the one you will change. If you want to stop the other recording, press the swap button, and you will be on the other show.

#7 The color buttons are for Future use. Or just to look cool one or the other.

You will find yourself using the Swap button alot. Swap Button is just to the upper left of the 1 button on the keypad and to the left of the PiP button its blue in color, and marked on the remote says SWAP.

#5 OFFLINE   BobaBird

BobaBird

EKB Editor

• Registered
  • 4,022 posts

Posted 12 March 2010 - 05:35 PM

5) Press Browse (Rt-Arrow), key in channel number, press PIP
Charles @dishuser - a dynamic employee of Massive Veridian
Visit the EchoStar Knowledge Base
"The other guys charge $9.95/month to use tapeless record" - Dish Network Tech Forum, 8-6-01
"dual" is NOT the same as "Twin" - here's why

#6 OFFLINE   GrumpyBear

GrumpyBear

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,233 posts

Posted 12 March 2010 - 07:50 PM

5) Press Browse (Rt-Arrow), key in channel number, press PIP

Thanks, didn't know that before, it works too.:D
Noticed I can actually channel surf, just going up and down, and press PiP.
:D

Protected By... spam firewall...And...