Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of DBSTalk by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Playstation Move (Mostly just a rant lol)

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   kevinturcotte

kevinturcotte

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,940 posts
  • LocationOutside Portland, ME

Posted 12 March 2010 - 12:21 PM

I really HATE all this motion stuff!! Not everybody wants to physically move around while they play their games! I am fiercely devoted to the Final Fantasy games (Been playing them ever since the original), and I notice that Square is on board with the Move stuff. What happens when they decide to release Final Fantasy XV or Kingdom Hearts III requiring the Move? Is there going to be a patch that allows us to play the games like we do now? Sorry, I have leg problems. If this is not an option, and if I can't play my Final Fantasy, somebody is gonna get hurt lol j/k
I know Sony and Microsoft are hopping on the motion bandwagon because Nintendo is majorly outselling them, and they're trying to compete. Did anybody think that maybe people aren't buying the Wii so much for the motion control, and maybe just because it's the cheapest gaming system, or maybe even like me, because there's an exclusive game on it (Zelda)?
Like I said in the topic, mostly a rant, and feel free to discuss.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   DCSholtis

DCSholtis

Up The Irons!

• Registered
  • 5,716 posts

Posted 13 March 2010 - 08:19 PM

I'm right with you. I'm in a wheelchair so this swinging a controller side to side while STANDING is a no go for me. I hope to hell that once introduced I'll be given an option to continue to use my DS3 controller instead of the PS Move while not losing too much fun and functionality in whatever particular game I decide to purchase. This kind of sucks.
Dan Sholtis
"The Raiders will be back. I have unshakable confidence, the will to win, and I just know that the fire that burns brightest in this building is the will to win. And we will win. We will win."---Al Davis. Rest In Peace, Al

#3 OFFLINE   Sackchamp56

Sackchamp56

Godfather

• Registered
  • 309 posts

Posted 13 March 2010 - 08:51 PM

I'm with you guys on this one. I dont have any physical limitation that prevent me from playing the games, but I think they are just really bad games. I bought a wii for the wife and there hasn't been a decent (forget good/great) game released for 2 years or so. It was hardly worth it just for Zelda. If sony and Microsoft cant come up with any better way to use it, there is no point. My wii was unplugged and thrown in the closet 6 months ago and no one has even noticed yet.

#4 OFFLINE   Shades228

Shades228

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 5,914 posts

Posted 13 March 2010 - 09:17 PM

I think motion controls have their place. I also think that too much is not good. Link for the Wii comes to mind. It was fun at first. Annoying after awhile. It's the main reason I never got a WII. I knew it would be fun once in awhile but not constantly.

I think the option of motion or no motion per game would be good.

I have never seen standing be a requirement for motion controllers. I actually think that motion controllers will make it easier for disabled people to be able to play video games. As the technology evolves and gets smaller it will be easier for people to make custom controllers for people with disabilities.

#5 OFFLINE   kevinturcotte

kevinturcotte

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 3,940 posts

Posted 13 March 2010 - 09:22 PM

I think motion controls have their place. I also think that too much is not good. Link for the Wii comes to mind. It was fun at first. Annoying after awhile. It's the main reason I never got a WII. I knew it would be fun once in awhile but not constantly.

I think the option of motion or no motion per game would be good.

I have never seen standing be a requirement for motion controllers. I actually think that motion controllers will make it easier for disabled people to be able to play video games. As the technology evolves and gets smaller it will be easier for people to make custom controllers for people with disabilities.

Look what they're talking about for the next Zelda though. If Miyamoto (He's pretty much the head Zelda guy if you don't know) gets his way, you'll be playing Zelda standing on the Wii balance board, pretty much physically pretending you're Link. And unfortunately, there won't be any patch to just sit and use a controller.

#6 OFFLINE   jazzyd971fm

jazzyd971fm

Godfather

• Registered
  • 363 posts

Posted 14 March 2010 - 08:27 PM

I hope to hell that once introduced I'll be given an option to continue to use my DS3 controller instead of the PS Move while not losing too much fun and functionality in whatever particular game I decide to purchase.

Hopefully this will ease your concerns http://g4tv.com/thef...ation-Move.html

5 LNB Slimline>HR24-500>Sony KDS 50 A 2020>HDMI
Sony DAV-DX255 Component
Samsung DVD/VCR-VR320

PS4>HDMI
PS3>Component
Xbox 360>Component
Total Choice Plus/HD Access/NFL ST Max
HBO/Showtime/Starz/Sports Pack
DBSTalk App Thru Samsung Galaxy S 4

#7 OFFLINE   kevinturcotte

kevinturcotte

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 3,940 posts

Posted 14 March 2010 - 08:32 PM

Hopefully this will ease your concerns http://g4tv.com/thef...ation-Move.html

What exactly does that mean though? Say they include motion control in Final Fantasy XV? Does that mean I'll ALSO be able to use my regular controller, or are they just going to tell me that there are other RPG games that I can use my regular controller with?

#8 OFFLINE   jazzyd971fm

jazzyd971fm

Godfather

• Registered
  • 363 posts

Posted 14 March 2010 - 09:04 PM

What exactly does that mean though? Say they include motion control in Final Fantasy XV? Does that mean I'll ALSO be able to use my regular controller, or are they just going to tell me that there are other RPG games that I can use my regular controller with?

From what I understand, you could either use Move or DualShock 3 in the game, you would have the option. Hopefully the developer will give players the option to use either controller.

5 LNB Slimline>HR24-500>Sony KDS 50 A 2020>HDMI
Sony DAV-DX255 Component
Samsung DVD/VCR-VR320

PS4>HDMI
PS3>Component
Xbox 360>Component
Total Choice Plus/HD Access/NFL ST Max
HBO/Showtime/Starz/Sports Pack
DBSTalk App Thru Samsung Galaxy S 4

#9 OFFLINE   kevinturcotte

kevinturcotte

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 3,940 posts

Posted 14 March 2010 - 09:35 PM

From what I understand, you could either use Move or DualShock 3 in the game, you would have the option. Hopefully the developer will give players the option to use either controller.

I wish they'd do this with the Wii. As much as I love Zelda, I'm dreading the new Wii Zelda.

#10 OFFLINE   Luck255

Luck255

Legend

• Registered
  • 134 posts

Posted 15 March 2010 - 04:51 PM

kevinturcotte I hear you. I was pretty upset even with FF8 I actually ruined a controller having to press R1 EVERY TIME Squall attacked. Not to mention limit breaks which have you pressing it even more. Timing and movement is fun for action games but in RPGs it doesn't really have a place. It just gets really tedious.

#11 OFFLINE   kevinturcotte

kevinturcotte

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 3,940 posts

Posted 15 March 2010 - 05:43 PM

kevinturcotte I hear you. I was pretty upset even with FF8 I actually ruined a controller having to press R1 EVERY TIME Squall attacked. Not to mention limit breaks which have you pressing it even more. Timing and movement is fun for action games but in RPGs it doesn't really have a place. It just gets really tedious.

That's why when I play 8, I put it right on Auto, right along with Zell's limts.

#12 OFFLINE   jwebb1970

jwebb1970

Legend

• Registered
  • 180 posts

Posted 17 March 2010 - 10:14 AM

All I can say is that for me personally, an FPS w/ dual anaog sticks feels HORRID compared to using a pointer based aiming control.

Now, on the Wii there are not a lot of choices for this. The last 2 Call of Duty games have been solid on Wii, in particular the "Reflex" edition of Modern Warfare - a game that is quitely becomming fairly successful w/ a surprisingly robust online multiplayer community. And having played Metroid Prime on Gamecube w/ 2 sticks (and controls best described as "tank-like") the Wii-boot of that series w/ the Prime Trilogy (grafting Prime 3's Wiimote/'chuk controls to Primes 1 & 2) is freaking amazing.

If I need to play a high-end/HD looks shooter these days, I use the PC or Mac & generally mouse based aiming. Dual analog controls for such things, to me at least, feel anything but natural.

I could see Move being very cool for the SOCOM game as well as the apparent Move reboot of RE 5 that is coming. Trust me - try a shooter w/ this setup. No need to "waggle" - just aiming w/ deadly accuracy.

Last year, Wii actually got the best iteration of Tiger Woods 10. If you dig golf at all, you should try it w/ Motion Plus. Or, check out TW11 later this year on PS3, 'cuz it's getting Wii Motion Plus style control w/ Move.

And to the comment that there has not been even a "decent" Wii title in 2 yrs? Really? have you not been paying attention? And have you not seen Wii's first half of 2010 announced lineup? If anything, it seems Ninty's response to Move/Natal is to have what looks to be the biggest year yet for "core" titles - both homegrown & 3rd party. Galaxy 2, Metroid Other M, Red Steel 2, Monster Hunter, Sin & Punishment...and the next Zelda surely due by the end of the year.

Also seeing more games coming that use the Classic Controller - or more importantly the Classic Pro coming in the spring - the black Pro will come packed in w/ Monster Hunter.

And no - I highly doubt Miyamoto-san is gonna make Zelda a balance-Board waggle-fest. In fact, I imagine we will see something akin to Twilight Princess, except now one will probably use MotionPlus for swordplay.

Edited by jwebb1970, 17 March 2010 - 10:20 AM.

"I'm really only an Atheist on Christmas and Easter. The rest of the time---it really doesn't matter." - Dr. House

#13 OFFLINE   kevinturcotte

kevinturcotte

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 3,940 posts

Posted 17 March 2010 - 11:48 AM

And no - I highly doubt Miyamoto-san is gonna make Zelda a balance-Board waggle-fest. In fact, I imagine we will see something akin to Twilight Princess, except now one will probably use MotionPlus for swordplay.

Didn't say he would, just that, from reports, if he had his way, that's how he'd make it.
It's also not just that I don't want to move around to play my games, it's also that there's not a lot of room where I play. When I play Wii Sports and bowling, I'm either hitting my bureau behind me, or my bed in front of me. There's NOWHERE in my room where I can stand and there's nothing around me as far as my arms will stretch. So when I go to swing the Wiimote to swing Link's sword, and his swing stops short because my hand ran into my bed, and Link gets killed because his sword didn't connect, I'm gonna get PI**ED!

#14 OFFLINE   ncxcstud

ncxcstud

Icon

• Registered
  • 591 posts

Posted 18 March 2010 - 08:41 AM

I'm wondering that when it is released in November, what will be included in the package..

Will it just be the one wand and camera? Or will it include the camera, wand, and 'nun-chuck' like device? Or will it include two wands (since they advertise it mostly with two wands anyways) in the package with a camera?

I'm sure it'll retail with the camera and one wand...then another wand and the nun-chuck will cost another 25-30 dollars each...

It is the same thing I hate about the Wii... Their controllers are so expensive, especially when you add in the nun-chuck, wii motion plus, classic controller, classic controller pro (the final two if you want to play N64 and SNES games downloaded from the VC right?)

I'm a Microsoft fanboy through and through (though I do enjoy my PS3 as well) but at least I won't have to purchase additional controllers after I buy the Natal addon...
40" Samsung LCD - LN40B640 (living room)
42" Samsung DLP - HLS4266W
DirecTV HR20-700 Receiver
DirecTV H24-100 Receiver
DirecTV HR24-100 Receiver
Pastor of All Saints Lutheran Church in Mason, MI
XBOX Live, Battle.net, and PSN gamertags - ncxcstud

#15 OFFLINE   jwebb1970

jwebb1970

Legend

• Registered
  • 180 posts

Posted 18 March 2010 - 11:47 AM

I'm wondering that when it is released in November, what will be included in the package..

Will it just be the one wand and camera? Or will it include the camera, wand, and 'nun-chuck' like device? Or will it include two wands (since they advertise it mostly with two wands anyways) in the package with a camera?

I'm sure it'll retail with the camera and one wand...then another wand and the nun-chuck will cost another 25-30 dollars each...

It is the same thing I hate about the Wii... Their controllers are so expensive, especially when you add in the nun-chuck, wii motion plus, classic controller, classic controller pro (the final two if you want to play N64 and SNES games downloaded from the VC right?)

I'm a Microsoft fanboy through and through (though I do enjoy my PS3 as well) but at least I won't have to purchase additional controllers after I buy the Natal addon...

From what I have read so far, MOve will have a SKU w/ an EyeToy, a Move Wand & perhaps a secondary (nunchuk) controllerfor an estimated $100. However, some Move titles are already known to requite TWO Move wands. Move adopters are gonna see Wii-level wallet drain when it comes to adding controllers - but imagine game pack ins will also happen.

One does not need Classic AND Classic Pro for the Wii- one or the other will do. The upcoming Pro, OTOH, is a much nicer controller in the hands (akin to a PS2/360 combo w/ a Ninty twist). Nyko Wings are also a good - and a tad cheaper - 3rd party option. I have a Wing myself (wired - cost $15) as well as what has become my primary controller for many Virtual Console games - MadCatz Tatsunoko Vs Capcom Fightstick (which happens to make it's namesake game even more kickass, BTW). Not cheap - but I traded 2 games for it & got a smokin deal.

Motion Plus add-ons are cheaper when you buy them as game pack-ins. Resort (which has a SKU out there w/ 2M+ add-ons included), Tiger Woods 10 (and probaly TW11, too) & Red Steel 2 later this spring. If M+ is supported in the new Zelda game (rumored as likely) bet on a M+ pack in SKU for it, too.

And why is Wii Play such a success? Surely not due to the game itself, but the fact that it comes w/ a packed in Wiimote.

PunchOut!! can be found thru Target stores w/ a nunchuk packed in (and last I saw, you can get that game w/ the nunchuk for around $39.99).

Wii accessories CAN add up - but an informed shopper can find the best deals.
"I'm really only an Atheist on Christmas and Easter. The rest of the time---it really doesn't matter." - Dr. House

#16 OFFLINE   ncxcstud

ncxcstud

Icon

• Registered
  • 591 posts

Posted 18 March 2010 - 12:05 PM

Even still. With the 360, I know that I need one controller to play every game. With Natal, I am the controller so nothing further to buy there as well.

Informed or not, it still ends up being a lot more expensive on the Wii to play a few games (and I know that you dont' need classic and the classic pro controllers, just one of them to play some VC games...).
40" Samsung LCD - LN40B640 (living room)
42" Samsung DLP - HLS4266W
DirecTV HR20-700 Receiver
DirecTV H24-100 Receiver
DirecTV HR24-100 Receiver
Pastor of All Saints Lutheran Church in Mason, MI
XBOX Live, Battle.net, and PSN gamertags - ncxcstud

spam firewall