Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Is the installer jerking me around?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   arict

arict

• Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 13 March 2010 - 11:04 AM

I had Dish network up until about a year ago. I canceled it to try the HTPC route, and a couple of months ago, decided that there was too much content that I was missing out on. I decided to get Dish again, called them directly (not a reseller) and had an install scheduled for this morning (Saturday).

I still have the dish mount (without LNBs), with cables running down to where I want the box installed. These are the same cables I was using a year ago, and for years before that.

The installer is a third-party installer who told me that his company won't let him use my preexisting cable. This company seems to be the sole official dish contractor in my state.

He suggested that I cancel the install, and reschedule it through his retailer, where he'd be able to use the existing cables and not have to rewire anything. The other option was to have him pull completely new cable. This would have involved drilling new holes in my house, routing it differently, and otherwise doing things that I don't really want done to my house.

As per his suggestion, I canceled the install, but haven't called to schedule the second install. When I canceled, they asked me to confirm what he'd told them - that I didn't want to have new cables and holes in my house. His employer seemed to accept this as a legitimate reason to cancel.

So, what's going on? Anyone had anything like this before? Am I about to get hosed?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   BattleZone

BattleZone

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,969 posts

Posted 13 March 2010 - 11:17 AM

In the last couple of years, Dish has really come down hard on installers who were not following the installation requirements. One of those requirements is that all satellite lines must be RG6 coax. Lots of older homes built/wired in the 70s-90's have RG59 coax, which is thinner and often has problems handling the higher frequencies and the DC voltage required by satellite, which are among the reasons why RG6 is required.

But up until a couple of years ago, the sat companies were growing at a huge rate and it was deemed more important to "get those jobs in" than to follow the installation standards. Houses that were pre-wired with RG59 were often connected right up, with the installer crossing his fingers hoping everything worked long enough for him to get his paperwork signed and get down the road. These "not to code" installations tended to have a higher incidence of problems, and things got worse when customers started upgrading to HD and/or additional rooms and didn't understand that the new equipment often wouldn't work with the same cables that the old stuff worked on.

Starting around 2008, Dish started enforcing the installation rules, with draconian penalties if you didn't follow them. Any unapproved item was an instant fail, resulting in a chargeback for the entire job as well as a requirement to come back to the job and bring it up to code.

So, based on what you posted, it sounds like this is what is happening. It's legit.

#3 OFFLINE   TulsaOK

TulsaOK

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,469 posts

Posted 13 March 2010 - 11:18 AM

If it's not going to cost you any more, why not go with the installer?
I wonder why the installer couldn't use the same "path" as your original cables.
<span style='font-size: 10px;'>“Life is hard; it's harder if you're stupid.”<br /> - John Wayne</span><br /><br />Avatar: Tanner 1992 - 2009

#4 OFFLINE   D-Bamatech

D-Bamatech

Godfather

• Banned User
  • 378 posts

Posted 13 March 2010 - 11:21 AM

Be aware EVERY Dnet "sale/ Sail" is COMMISSION BASED.
That IS where most of this type "BS" comes from.

Do you have Rg-6 to the tv locations NOW?
If so, there is no technical reason for what was told to you .

I would Definitely
Investigate this.

#5 OFFLINE   arict

arict

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 13 March 2010 - 11:40 AM

Followup: the installer's boss just came over and asked to look at my install. It is indeed RG-6 everywhere, but only rated up to 2.75 GHz instead of the 3 GHz that Dish mandates, so he agreed that new cabling would be needed. He said that an installer *can* use the same path as the old cabling, and we rescheduled the install for tomorrow.

With a different install tech.

#6 OFFLINE   TulsaOK

TulsaOK

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,469 posts

Posted 13 March 2010 - 11:45 AM

Followup: the installer's boss just came over and asked to look at my install. It is indeed RG-6 everywhere, but only rated up to 2.75 GHz instead of the 3 GHz that Dish mandates, so he agreed that new cabling would be needed. He said that an installer *can* use the same path as the old cabling, and we rescheduled the install for tomorrow.

With a different install tech.

BTW, :welcome_s to the site. Good luck on the install.
<span style='font-size: 10px;'>“Life is hard; it's harder if you're stupid.”<br /> - John Wayne</span><br /><br />Avatar: Tanner 1992 - 2009

#7 OFFLINE   tymekeeper

tymekeeper

Legend

• Registered
  • 158 posts

Posted 13 March 2010 - 12:56 PM

How do you tell RG6 2.75 from 3 ghz ?

#8 OFFLINE   BNUMM

BNUMM

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,079 posts

Posted 13 March 2010 - 01:16 PM

How do you tell RG6 2.75 from 3 ghz ?

It is marked on the cable. There is no difference except that they were tested to the higher frequency.

#9 OFFLINE   Jim5506

Jim5506

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,481 posts

Posted 13 March 2010 - 07:06 PM

Old RG-6 left outside with no connections on the end is subject to water incursion and corrosion, best to replace it than to try to re-use it.
Tuners: Hopper 2000; Hopper w/Sling; 3 Joeys; Samsung SIR-T351; Accurian 6000;2 X HD TiVo; 2 X TiVo Series 2 Stand alone; Panasonic Showstopper 2000
Dish 1000.2 @ 110, 119, 129; dish 500 @ 61.5
Antennas - CM4228; RS U75-R; coathanger; Funke PSP.1922 (stillin the box); paperclip
Displays: Sony VPH D50Q with HD Fury HDMI input; Hitachi 57F59; Sony Bravia LCD;Sanyo 32" LCD; Panasonic 42" plasma
Sony 80GB PS3; Toshiba HD-DVD

Give me a Finco colinear array and I'll rule the world - HA-HA-HA-HA!

#10 OFFLINE   jarvantgroup

jarvantgroup

Icon

• Registered
  • 546 posts

Posted 14 March 2010 - 06:34 PM

It doesn't make any difference if the cable is rated to 3Mhz, and all of your diplexers (Blue and red Hollands and Aska) and the DP Separator on the back of the rcvrs 'provided by Dish Network' are only max rated to 2150Mhz. So there is no reason why cable rated to 2.75Mhz is not acceptable. Sounds like someone just wanted to blow the job off.:icon_cool:icon_cool:icon_cool

#11 OFFLINE   gomezma1

gomezma1

Godfather

• Registered
  • 460 posts

Posted 14 March 2010 - 06:40 PM

You are the customer and you should get what you want. If not tell them to a take a fly.

#12 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,959 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 14 March 2010 - 06:42 PM

Old RG6 often makes a most excellent pull string for new RG6 (unless it is stapled to hell).

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

Protected By... spam firewall...And...