Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of DBSTalk by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Spot Beam Question

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   NYBuddy

NYBuddy

AllStar

• Registered
  • 99 posts

Posted 13 March 2010 - 11:20 PM

I had a dish 500 and 300 pointing at 110, 119, and 61.5 for the longest time, with my Albany, NY locals. I just today had Dishmover install a 1000.4 Eastern Arc at my new house about 20 minutes south of my old house picking up 72.5, 61.5, and 77. I can not get my locals at my new house and am being told by a CSR that I live outside the spotbeam for my locals, I live smack dab in the middle of the spotbeam for the Albany, NY locals and explaind that to the CSR, they said that there are pockets that can not get the Local's and in the system it won't even let them select to add locals on my account for my address. I am frustrated! Any thoughts?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 17,839 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 14 March 2010 - 12:11 AM

What's your ZIP code?

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#3 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,393 posts
  • LocationBay Area

Posted 14 March 2010 - 12:31 AM

"they said that there are pockets that can not get the Local's" - If you reside in middle of spot beam coverage ? Fantastic !
I would imagine the CSR dude works before for OTA local station.

#4 OFFLINE   Lt Disher

Lt Disher

Legend

• Registered
  • 109 posts

Posted 14 March 2010 - 08:01 AM

Albany appears to be on the edge of spotbeam 3 on the 61.5 satellite. The center of that beam looks to be in northeastern PA. Albany is more or less in the center of the beam from 110, but you no longer can see 110.

#5 OFFLINE   scooper

scooper

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,696 posts
  • LocationYoungsville NC

Posted 14 March 2010 - 08:42 AM

And if that is the case - you could setup a 110 Dish and have that connected to your Eastern Arc.
You CAN put antennas on your owned and/or controlled property...

http://www.fcc.gov/mb/facts/otard.html

#6 OFFLINE   NYBuddy

NYBuddy

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 99 posts

Posted 14 March 2010 - 09:45 AM

What's your ZIP code?

Thanks, I now live in 12804, Iwas in 12824.

#7 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 17,839 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 14 March 2010 - 10:32 AM

Thanks, I now live in 12804, Iwas in 12824.

Remember that where you used to live has absolutely no bearing on what DISH Network will/can offer you so it doesn't bear mentioning. That being said, you're still clearly in the Albany DMA.

Are you having troubles with any other channels from 61.5? I'm concerned that the dish may not be aimed just right. I'm not sold on the idea of nodes as the CSR seems to be telling you.

Can you get WXXA in SD?

Everything EA for Albany seems to be coming from 61.5W.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#8 OFFLINE   BNUMM

BNUMM

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,076 posts

Posted 14 March 2010 - 04:46 PM

Western Michigan has the same problem with the spot beam for locals(Grand Rapids/Kalamazoo) on 61.5. People who live near the S.W. edge of the spot beam are having trouble with their locals. People who have a line of sight to 129 can point at that sat. for locals but there are many tall trees in that area and the 129 is at a low angle.

#9 OFFLINE   CABill

CABill

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,113 posts

Posted 14 March 2010 - 05:05 PM

I can not get my locals at my new house and am being told by a CSR that I live outside the spotbeam for my locals, I live smack dab in the middle of the spotbeam for the Albany, NY locals and explaind that to the CSR, they said that there are pockets that can not get the Local's and in the system it won't even let them select to add locals on my account for my address. I am frustrated! Any thoughts?

From the "won't even let them select to add locals on my account", I'd say actual reception of the spotbeam could be a problem as Lt Disher suggested. But even if you are able to get a signal from the 61.5 spotbeam and MIGHT be able to get locals from it as the beam wobbles in and out of your location, the fact that the CSR can't enable locals on the account would mean you won't see anything even if you connected back up to 110 with another dish. If the CSR's screen doesn't allow them to select locals for your zip code with EA, we'd have to depend on the CSRs posting some work around. This isn't some new zip code that might not be in the DISH system yet is it? It could be edge of spot beam, but you can check that transponder's signal strength. Adding a 110 dish would get you signal strength, but I've no idea if that would enable locals as a choice on a CSR screen.

#10 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,393 posts
  • LocationBay Area

Posted 14 March 2010 - 06:42 PM

That would good to know (ask your neighbors) signal level on those sat/tpn where the local channels. Then you could convince CSR or his super to give you authorization.

#11 OFFLINE   NYBuddy

NYBuddy

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 99 posts

Posted 14 March 2010 - 08:37 PM

Thanks for all the responses, I do have a good signal on 61.5, I am interested in seeing if another CSR or Tech can get me further, i just havn't had the notion to call just yet, new house and all. The Tech that did the hook up showed me the signal strengths of mine vs. pictures on his cell phone of other jobs, he said mine was strongest by far. He was an older gent with no reason to lie and really didn't want to go home to his wife :) About were I live it is clearly in the DMA for the locals, I guess if all else fails, I will have to go to the NY National Locals.... :(

#12 OFFLINE   Michael P

Michael P

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,899 posts

Posted 15 March 2010 - 04:19 PM

Thanks for all the responses, I do have a good signal on 61.5, I am interested in seeing if another CSR or Tech can get me further, i just havn't had the notion to call just yet, new house and all. The Tech that did the hook up showed me the signal strengths of mine vs. pictures on his cell phone of other jobs, he said mine was strongest by far. He was an older gent with no reason to lie and really didn't want to go home to his wife :) About were I live it is clearly in the DMA for the locals, I guess if all else fails, I will have to go to the NY National Locals.... :(

I hate to break this to you, but there is no such a thing as "NY National Locals".

E* lost the rights to offer NYC & LA to "unserved" subscribers (by court order, no less). If the Albany OTA signals hit your area you will not qualify for what is available now, which is "All America Direct", which is a hodgepodge of locals from various cities (as opposed to the big 4 from NY & LA). No HD either for AAD. The NYC signals are no longer CONUS, they too are on spot beams.
An E* subscriber continuously since February 1997.

#13 OFFLINE   tsmacro

tsmacro

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,113 posts
  • LocationEast Central Indiana

Posted 15 March 2010 - 05:10 PM

I hate to break this to you, but there is no such a thing as "NY National Locals".

E* lost the rights to offer NYC & LA to "unserved" subscribers (by court order, no less). If the Albany OTA signals hit your area you will not qualify for what is available now, which is "All America Direct", which is a hodgepodge of locals from various cities (as opposed to the big 4 from NY & LA). No HD either for AAD. The NYC signals are no longer CONUS, they too are on spot beams.

Actually they do have HD for AAD now. But yeah you do have to see if you qualify and possibly get a waiver depending on how far you are from the broadcast towers.

"The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at or repair." - Douglas Adams

"Who would rule a nation when he could have easier work, such as carrying water uphill in a sieve?" - Robert Jordan

#14 ONLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,138 posts
  • LocationNorthern California Redwoods

Posted 15 March 2010 - 05:27 PM

All America Direct offers Dish customers who qualify for service the big 4 broadcast networks in HD from Los Angeles and Chicago and in SD from New York and San Francisco. For those who complain all the time about package pricing, they offer full a la carte at $5 per month per HD channel and $4 per month per SD channel. The package pricing is better with all four HD's at $18 a month if you pay one year in advance. See this web page for pricing.

Whether you qualify is another issue. They have a web page. I live in an area where no analog signal from my DMA channels was even possible, but it still took a waiver from the Fox channel, which they gave but then again that was when SD was the only choice and my DMA was San Francisco. It did give me the New York station as well as San Francisco.

"In a hundred years there'll be a whole new set of people."
"Always poke the bears. They sleep too much for their own good."

"If you're good enough, they'll talk about you." - Tom Harmon
A GEEZER who remembers watching TV in 1951 and was an Echostar customer from 1988 to 2008, now a Dish Network customer.
My AV Setup
My Slingbox Pro HD Experience
My Blog: The Redwood Guardian

#15 OFFLINE   NYBuddy

NYBuddy

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 99 posts

Posted 15 March 2010 - 10:21 PM

Jeez, this just keeps getting better!

#16 OFFLINE   NYBuddy

NYBuddy

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 99 posts

Posted 15 March 2010 - 10:26 PM

OK, so I have just 1 VIP622 hooked up right now, still unpacking, and I do not get my locals over TV1, however they are being pulled on TV2! I did a front panel reset, tried the unplugging, also check switch and forced a download as well. No joy. What am i missing here? Maybe I am not outside the spotbeam after all (yes the channels come in, yes they say "HD") but again only through Tuner 2, Tuner 1 does not show the channels in the guide I even rearranged the diplexer and it did not make a difference.

spam firewall