Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of DBSTalk by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Dual tuner DIRECTV without two cables?

tivo

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   alandarren

alandarren

• Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 14 March 2010 - 06:07 PM

In our living room, we have a standard D11/100 DirecTV receiver that feeds into a standalone series 2 TiVo. We’re hoping to upgrade our setup to be able to record two shows at once. We currently have two cables coming from our satellite dish; one goes to the living room, and one to a receiver in another room. We do not have an HD TV, and don’t plan to get one anytime soon. We do like the TiVo service, and would rather stick with that, but switching to a DirecTV DVR when upgrading is a possibility. We know there is a DirecTV DVR with TiVo features supposedly coming out this year but we're tired of waiting, and aren't even sure that is going to be able to do what we want (record 2 shows at once).

From what I understand, with standard receivers, there is no way to record two shows at once without having two cables for each room for a total of four coming into the house from the satellite dish. Due to the cost of running additional cables and/or the unsightliness of running cables through windows though, we would rather not pursue that option.

I’ve read about signal stackers & unstackers that might work, but those seem like they would be expensive and prone to glitches.

A technician I talked to seemed to think that we’d be able to receive two signals on one cable if we upgraded to an HD satellite dish. Is this true? Is this the best way to accomplish what we’re trying to do?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   raoul5788

raoul5788

• Registered
  • 1,481 posts

Posted 14 March 2010 - 06:32 PM

In our living room, we have a standard D11/100 DirecTV receiver that feeds into a standalone series 2 TiVo. We’re hoping to upgrade our setup to be able to record two shows at once. We currently have two cables coming from our satellite dish; one goes to the living room, and one to a receiver in another room. We do not have an HD TV, and don’t plan to get one anytime soon. We do like the TiVo service, and would rather stick with that, but switching to a DirecTV DVR when upgrading is a possibility. We know there is a DirecTV DVR with TiVo features supposedly coming out this year but we're tired of waiting, and aren't even sure that is going to be able to do what we want (record 2 shows at once).

From what I understand, with standard receivers, there is no way to record two shows at once without having two cables for each room for a total of four coming into the house from the satellite dish. Due to the cost of running additional cables and/or the unsightliness of running cables through windows though, we would rather not pursue that option.

I’ve read about signal stackers & unstackers that might work, but those seem like they would be expensive and prone to glitches.

A technician I talked to seemed to think that we’d be able to receive two signals on one cable if we upgraded to an HD satellite dish. Is this true? Is this the best way to accomplish what we’re trying to do?

You can get two tuners to work with one cable using the SWiM technology. You must have hd service in order to get it from Directv because I think the only dvrs that can do it are hd ones.

#3 OFFLINE   bobnielsen

bobnielsen

Éminence grise

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,917 posts
  • LocationBainbridge Island, WA

Posted 14 March 2010 - 06:35 PM

The R16 (SD) will also record two channels simultaneously with SWM.

#4 OFFLINE   doctor j

doctor j

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,418 posts
  • LocationBirmingham, Al.

Posted 14 March 2010 - 06:38 PM

SWM compatible receivers:

HR20/HR21/HR22/HR23/HR24 HD DVR Receivers
H20/H21/H22/H23/H24 HD Receivers
D12 / D13 SD Receivers
R16 / R22 / R23 SD DVR Receivers

Doctor j

MFH-2 System : 2 Major Viewing Areas. 2 x HR20-700's & H21 in each area via E2/SWM-8. Hardwire gigabit switch to 30 mb/sec internet.

#5 OFFLINE   HarryD

HarryD

Icon

• Registered
  • 597 posts
  • LocationLehigh Valley, PA

Posted 14 March 2010 - 06:41 PM

My son just got DirecTV last week and I was there to watch the install (he had a Dr appointment)... I was shocked... Dish uses a SWM 3 (only three lnbs) and one wire into the house... then that connects to some sort of switch (looks like a splitter on steriods), then it hooks into another device (sorta looks like a signal booster - has to be plugged in)... that's it.. every HD DVR in the house had the ability to record on two channels at once even though there's only one cable in...
HarryD

#6 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 17,838 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 14 March 2010 - 06:46 PM

The device that looked like a splitter was indeed a splitter. The other device was a power inserter to power the LNB assembly.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#7 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 17,838 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 14 March 2010 - 06:46 PM

R23 SD DVR Receivers

I got a chuckle out of this one.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#8 OFFLINE   Canis Lupus

Canis Lupus

You make it, We break it

• Registered
  • 4,722 posts

Posted 14 March 2010 - 06:47 PM

My son just got DirecTV last week and I was there to watch the install (he had a Dr appointment)... I was shocked... Dish uses a SWM 3 (only three lnbs) and one wire into the house... then that connects to some sort of switch (looks like a splitter on steriods), then it hooks into another device (sorta looks like a signal booster - has to be plugged in)... that's it.. every HD DVR in the house had the ability to record on two channels at once even though there's only one cable in...

DirecTV uses SWM also - with exactly what you're describing. Was this a new install? What kind of install did DirecTV perform?
BIG BLUE FOR LIFE

#9 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,039 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 14 March 2010 - 07:00 PM

With your setup of using a receiver to feed a standalone Tivo, a single wire solution is not possible. IF you got an R16 DVR from D* then you could record 2 shows at once, but you wouldnt be using your standalone Tivo anymore.

#10 OFFLINE   Rico47

Rico47

Duplicate User (Account Closed)

• Banned User
  • 10 posts

Posted 14 March 2010 - 07:09 PM

Would a Dual-Tuner TiVo work?

#11 OFFLINE   Shades228

Shades228

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 5,914 posts

Posted 14 March 2010 - 07:15 PM

All of this would also have to be a DIY as DirecTV will not provide a SWM on an upgrade.

#12 OFFLINE   carl6

carl6

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,666 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 14 March 2010 - 07:41 PM

Would a Dual-Tuner TiVo work?

Not with SWM.

#13 OFFLINE   raoul5788

raoul5788

• Registered
  • 1,481 posts

Posted 14 March 2010 - 08:05 PM

SWM compatible receivers:

HR20/HR21/HR22/HR23/HR24 HD DVR Receivers
H20/H21/H22/H23/H24 HD Receivers
D12 / D13 SD Receivers
R16 / R22 / R23 SD DVR Receivers

Doctor j

Okay, so there are sd dvrs that will work with SWiM, but will Directv install the SWiM without an hd dvr?

#14 OFFLINE   Shades228

Shades228

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 5,914 posts

Posted 14 March 2010 - 09:06 PM

Okay, so there are sd dvrs that will work with SWiM, but will Directv install the SWiM without an hd dvr?

No

#15 OFFLINE   Newshawk

Newshawk

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,427 posts

Posted 15 March 2010 - 12:24 AM

DirecTV uses SWM also - with exactly what you're describing. Was this a new install? What kind of install did DirecTV perform?

CL, I think he was referring to the Slimline dish with a SWMline 3 LNB, not to an E* install...

DIRECTV employee April 2004-November 2012.
The above comments are my own because I don't know if anyone would care about my opinions anymore.

#16 OFFLINE   erosroadie

erosroadie

Godfather

• Registered
  • 388 posts

Posted 15 March 2010 - 04:48 AM

An HR10-250 (TiVo) HD DVR is still available from some people looking to upgrade to the HR2X models. It requires two feeds, but it will record two shows at once and has a huge hard drive. Mine works very well. Unfortunately, the HD satellite feeds for this will be turned off at the end of March, so it is essentially a very large capacity SD DVR, though HD over OTA is certainly possible…

Which makes me wonder...if the MPEG-2 feeds are shut off by April 1, would D* require the HD package to activate one of these?

#17 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,039 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 15 March 2010 - 06:58 AM

An HR10-250 (TiVo) HD DVR is still available from some people looking to upgrade to the HR2X models. It requires two feeds, but it will record two shows at once and has a huge hard drive. Mine works very well. Unfortunately, the HD satellite feeds for this will be turned off at the end of March, so it is essentially a very large capacity SD DVR, though HD over OTA is certainly possible…

Which makes me wonder...if the MPEG-2 feeds are shut off by April 1, would D* require the HD package to activate one of these?

Id think they'd almost say we arent going to allow activation of those anymore.

#18 OFFLINE   BattleZone

BattleZone

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,969 posts

Posted 15 March 2010 - 07:13 AM

HR10-250's can be activated without HD already. But you might need to escalate or try a few CSRs before you find one who knows what they are.

#19 OFFLINE   Shades228

Shades228

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 5,914 posts

Posted 15 March 2010 - 07:19 AM

If you have all owned HD receivers you only need to keep HD Access for 12 months. If you have any leased HD equipment then you must keep it as long as the receiver is active on the account.

#20 OFFLINE   HarryD

HarryD

Icon

• Registered
  • 597 posts
  • LocationLehigh Valley, PA

Posted 15 March 2010 - 12:46 PM

It was a new residential install... two HD DVRs and a regular SD receiver in the bedroom... Oh and I forgot to mention, the DirecTV tech could not activate any receiver until the signal was over 90%... He couldn't activate one receiver in the basement, until he replaced an existing cable... the signal was 88... after he replaced the cable... signal went to 97/98...

:rolleyes:
HarryD

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: tivo

spam firewall