Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Pricing info now available. . .

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   brant

brant

Icon

• Registered
  • 750 posts

Posted 14 March 2010 - 08:18 PM

I was checking out the xstreamHD site today; looks like they've got pricing information up now.

There is a monthly subscription fee of $9.95, which according to their website covers the cost of the EPG, but it also requires you to have an internet connection to the receiver; so they're going to charge you for something that WMC gives you for free, and require use of your internet connection. It says the subscription fee also gives you "in-network calling" (VOIP) to other xstreamHD members. That's a HUGE selling point, right? ;)

Each "rental" will cost you about $5.00; if you sign up now, you get 5 free rentals which it says is "up to" a $25 value.

It has three OTA tuners also.

So it looks like watching just one "rental" per weekend would cost you approximately $30/mo, plus at least $400 in equipment.

I'm not seeing the benefit of this service over netflix.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   ajtmcse

ajtmcse

AllStar

• Registered
  • 78 posts

Posted 21 March 2010 - 04:52 PM

I am honestly amazed they got the funding to take it this far.. With HD offerings from Dish and DirecTV, it amazes me that they got someone to invest.

#3 OFFLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,985 posts
  • LocationDripping Springs, TX

Posted 21 March 2010 - 04:59 PM

Must have been one heck of a Power Point presntation.:D

See post My Setup for configuration info.

#4 OFFLINE   sipester

sipester

Mentor

• Registered
  • 36 posts

Posted 22 March 2010 - 07:44 PM

I was checking out the xstreamHD site today; looks like they've got pricing information up now.

There is a monthly subscription fee of $9.95, which according to their website covers the cost of the EPG, but it also requires you to have an internet connection to the receiver; so they're going to charge you for something that WMC gives you for free, and require use of your internet connection. It says the subscription fee also gives you "in-network calling" (VOIP) to other xstreamHD members. That's a HUGE selling point, right? ;)

Each "rental" will cost you about $5.00; if you sign up now, you get 5 free rentals which it says is "up to" a $25 value.

It has three OTA tuners also.

So it looks like watching just one "rental" per weekend would cost you approximately $30/mo, plus at least $400 in equipment.

I'm not seeing the benefit of this service over netflix.

A lot of the TV I watch is OTA, and although I could do this for free with WMC, I would need to buy a PC for that (with 3 HD tuners). So eventually at $10 a month, a PC would pay for itself, but that would take a while. I'm somewhat considering this as a replacement to my D* service. I know I wouldn't get all the extra channels, but I'd save $70 a month.

Note that even with this service, I'd still keep Netflix and as for the HD offerings of Directv and Dish, well, I'd consider that a wash as they seem to have the same prices. I really think this is marketed towards someone like me that want's to unload the high monthly fee of D* but still have DVR service for OTA (and this is cheaper than TIVO).

#5 OFFLINE   brant

brant

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 750 posts

Posted 23 March 2010 - 06:08 PM

A lot of the TV I watch is OTA, and although I could do this for free with WMC, I would need to buy a PC for that (with 3 HD tuners). So eventually at $10 a month, a PC would pay for itself, but that would take a while. I'm somewhat considering this as a replacement to my D* service. I know I wouldn't get all the extra channels, but I'd save $70 a month.

Note that even with this service, I'd still keep Netflix and as for the HD offerings of Directv and Dish, well, I'd consider that a wash as they seem to have the same prices. I really think this is marketed towards someone like me that want's to unload the high monthly fee of D* but still have DVR service for OTA (and this is cheaper than TIVO).

or you can get something like the DTVPal DVR and pay NO monthly subscription fees, and pay less money for the unit itself.

there are cheaper alternatives for what you want to do.

And WMC offers far more options for content if you have a high speed internet connection, which you need w/ the xstreamHD anyway.

#6 OFFLINE   Grentz

Grentz

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,916 posts

Posted 23 March 2010 - 06:59 PM

This idea seemed to have so much potential. The pricing just makes it not worth it at all IMO.
-Grentz
Subscriber since Oct. 1996
HR21-700, HR22-100, H24-100 (SWM)
~Detailed Setup~

Directv Signal Strength Posting Tool - Excel Ver. Web Ver.

#7 OFFLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,985 posts
  • LocationDripping Springs, TX

Posted 23 March 2010 - 07:21 PM

I would think if the RVU Alliance can pull off what they're proposing it would put a dent in XStreamHD's business plans.

See post My Setup for configuration info.

#8 OFFLINE   bruin95

bruin95

Godfather

• Registered
  • 292 posts

Posted 27 March 2010 - 12:27 AM

Basically all this is, at this point, is a PPV movie service (and an expensive one at that) and not much else. Big time pass on this one. Don't see the point.

#9 OFFLINE   Sackchamp56

Sackchamp56

Godfather

• Registered
  • 310 posts

Posted 27 March 2010 - 03:49 PM

I'm squarely in the No thanks camp on this one.

#10 OFFLINE   Christopher Gould

Christopher Gould

Icon

• Registered
  • 785 posts

Posted 27 March 2010 - 05:31 PM

This idea seemed to have so much potential. The pricing just makes it not worth it at all IMO.

I was hoping for and all you can watch monthly fee type service(say like $30 or $40) would be better than waiting on netflix or a $1 or $2 like rebox. I'd pay the $2 just not to have to drive. I might have even paid the $9.95 a month plus a $1 per movie because our redbox's are always empty.

#11 OFFLINE   spoonman

spoonman

Icon

• Registered
  • 869 posts

Posted 06 April 2010 - 12:15 PM

I don't see this lasting even a year. I could see paying maybe $10 - $20 a month and getting all you can watch of older movies and new ones being $2 - $3 dollars each. $5 is way too much to pay after buying the equipment and paying a monthly fee.
Setup: SWMline
HR21-700 (Native On) | OTA W/AM21 | HDMI to Onkyo TX-SR706 then to Magnavox 52" via HDMI | networked
HR20-700 (Native On) | HDMI to Sharp 32" Aquos | networked
HR20-700 (Native On) | HDMI to Sony Reciever (STR-DG1000) then to Vizio 32" | networked

#12 OFFLINE   joe diamond

joe diamond

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,071 posts

Posted 23 April 2010 - 08:44 AM

I am honestly amazed they got the funding to take it this far.. With HD offerings from Dish and DirecTV, it amazes me that they got someone to invest.

This is a new one to me but I am going to watch it roll for awhile. There are many Np Line of Sight (NLOS) folks out there who can never have Directv or DISH. Then there is the apartment & condo market for the same reason.

Maybe it will float.

Joe

#13 OFFLINE   -Draino-

-Draino-

Godfather

• Registered
  • 348 posts
  • LocationNew Hampshire

Posted 09 May 2010 - 04:11 PM

doomed to fail within 6 months

Samsung 55" LED 240Hz HDTV 1080P UN55B8000
(1) HD DVR HR34-700 - 0x808
(1) HD DVR HR24-500 - 
(1) HD DVR HR22-100
(3) HD H24-100

Dell Studio XPS 8300 - Intel Core i7 2600 3.40GHz
Memory: 16GB Dual-Channel
Hard Drive: (2) 500GB RAID 0 (Not Used) 1 Corsair SSD 240GB
Video: Nvidia GeForce GTS 450 1.5GB
27" Viewsonic VX2753MH-LED Digital HDMI
Win7U x64

#14 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,861 posts

Posted 10 May 2010 - 07:32 AM

When something takes this long to go from concept to further details... I smell vaporware.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#15 OFFLINE   brant

brant

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 750 posts

Posted 10 May 2010 - 07:19 PM

checked website; said as of may 5, the launch date has been postponed.

something to do with compliance testing. and in the meantime, they decided to make some improvements to the remote control that it seems you'll never get anyway. ;)

#16 OFFLINE   smiddy

smiddy

Tain't ogre til its ogre

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,284 posts

Posted 20 May 2010 - 09:23 PM

When something takes this long to go from concept to further details... I smell vaporware.

Unfortunately most times you are right on target. When I saw this at CES I liked it, but was unimpressed with their answers to the more technical questions. If this comes to be, it needs to be made less expensive.
Aaron 'smiddy' Smith

#17 OFFLINE   aaronwt

aaronwt

Legend

• Registered
  • 123 posts
  • LocationNorthern Virginia

Posted 16 June 2010 - 10:41 AM

So they still haven't launched?!!?
56TB MSS WHS--32TB unRAID
LED DLP

spam firewall