Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

How to choose an installer?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   wenglish98027

wenglish98027

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 16 posts

Posted 14 March 2010 - 08:25 PM

I am still on the 3-way fence regarding my TV needs. Right now I have DirecTV (standard def with a DirecTiVo) but the signal is getting worse due to trees (I am on the north side of a hill, I don't own the trees in question and my chainsaw is too noisy:lol:).

About 6 weeks ago I stopped in a local Dish "authorized retailer" to ask them if they could do a 'site survey' due to my concern about whether or not I could hit Dish's HD satellites. They wouldn't schedule someone to come out, but said they would check it out the next time they had an installer in the area. I haven't heard back, I guess they have too much other business to be bothered (or perhaps my phone number and address landed in the recycle bin 30 seconds after I left the store).

So ... what are the pros and cons of using an authorized retailer vs. just calling Dish and having them pick an installer? Or is it likely I will get the same guys anyway? I really want to be sure I will be able to get service for at least the 2 years I will be committing to.

Are the authorized retailers generally cheaper, better, or faster (pick two) than the Dish installers?

Thanks ... Mike

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   BattleZone

BattleZone

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,969 posts

Posted 14 March 2010 - 10:25 PM

http://www.dishpointer.com is the best place to start. It will help you figure out if you'll be able to get LOS to the sats from your location. Punch in your address and check it out. You can move the pointer around to put it exactly where you propose to put the dish.

#3 OFFLINE   boba

boba

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,580 posts

Posted 15 March 2010 - 07:23 AM

In WA. you are looking at 110/119/129 for DISH I expect your look angle will be lower than Directv 101 so the trees should be even more of a problem.

#4 OFFLINE   BattleZone

BattleZone

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,969 posts

Posted 15 March 2010 - 10:13 AM

In WA. you are looking at 110/119/129 for DISH I expect your look angle will be lower than Directv 101 so the trees should be even more of a problem.

Actually, 119 will be approx the highest sat in the sky from WA. What could make Dish harder to get is the 25 or so degrees of clear sky needed, vs. about 8 degrees for DirecTV for 99/101/103. But Dish's sats will be higher in the sky from the OP's location.

#5 OFFLINE   wenglish98027

wenglish98027

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 16 posts

Posted 16 March 2010 - 01:47 PM

Thanks, some of the numbers made it a bit easier to figure out what to feed into dishpointer. I would have expected the choices for multi-LNBs to result in a fan-shaped line on the map though (one side of the fan pointing at the most easterly satellite and the other side pointing at the most westerly satellite).

But anyway it's still hard to tell whether I will clear the trees or not, which is why I was asking about the installers (perhaps the real Dish guys have equipment that can check line of sight while the "authorized retailer" doesn't? (I dunno).

Thanks ... Mike

#6 OFFLINE   fredp

fredp

Legend

• Registered
  • 113 posts

Posted 16 March 2010 - 03:48 PM

...But anyway it's still hard to tell whether I will clear the trees or not, which is why I was asking about the installers (perhaps the real Dish guys have equipment that can check line of sight while the "authorized retailer" doesn't? (I dunno).

Thanks ... Mike

You stated that you stopped in at a local Dish "authorized retailer". Is that one the only one in your area? Back in 2000 I went with a local retailer that wasn't exactly around the corner from me but serviced the area. Are we talking some extreme distance between you and their store?

#7 OFFLINE   BattleZone

BattleZone

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,969 posts

Posted 16 March 2010 - 04:10 PM

I would have expected the choices for multi-LNBs to result in a fan-shaped line on the map though (one side of the fan pointing at the most easterly satellite and the other side pointing at the most westerly satellite).

That would definitely be nice; for now, you have to select each orbital location individually, and then remember to give an extra degree or two for safety/tree growth.

#8 OFFLINE   wenglish98027

wenglish98027

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 16 posts

Posted 16 March 2010 - 07:27 PM

You stated that you stopped in at a local Dish "authorized retailer". Is that one the only one in your area? Back in 2000 I went with a local retailer that wasn't exactly around the corner from me but serviced the area. Are we talking some extreme distance between you and their store?

They are about 10 miles away roughly and kind of on my way home from work. There are no others within 25 miles, and those others are all in outlying areas and impossible to get to during rush hour before they close.

Mike

spam firewall