Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of DBSTalk by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

SD4 Possible this year???

vizio

• Please log in to reply
50 replies to this topic

#41 OFFLINE   paco1986

paco1986

Icon

• Registered
  • 572 posts

Posted 14 April 2010 - 06:50 PM

I always presumed they had a double audio signal English and Spanish to this day dont they?

I am looking at the Padres website and there are no Spanish TV broadcasts this year (only Spanish radio). So we shouldn't have audio mix ups!

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#42 OFFLINE   evilquik

evilquik

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 19 posts

Posted 14 April 2010 - 09:04 PM

Can anyone explain why all Padres feeds are blacked out to me? I have had MLB EI for many years now and have never been able to view the Padres games. Home Feed or Away Feed.

I live in the 92225 zip code which is over 240 miles from San Diego. I called DirecTV tonight and they weren't of much help other then they are gonna forward it on to the technicians.

I'd appreciate any feedback, Thanks fellas.

#43 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,074 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 15 April 2010 - 06:38 AM

Can anyone explain why all Padres feeds are blacked out to me? I have had MLB EI for many years now and have never been able to view the Padres games. Home Feed or Away Feed.

I live in the 92225 zip code which is over 240 miles from San Diego. I called DirecTV tonight and they weren't of much help other then they are gonna forward it on to the technicians.

If I am reading it right, you are in Padres territory.

Check out this map.

http://2.bp.blogspot...MLBBLACKOUT.jpg
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

#44 OFFLINE   MikeW

MikeW

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,532 posts

Posted 15 April 2010 - 08:38 AM

Distance really isn't a factor when it comes to blackouts. For the Pads, the blackouts go out to Las Vegas. They were blacked out in Tucson, up until two years ago. The attached map is incorrect because MLB actually did something about it and lifted the Tucson area from the Pads "Home Territory". Since the Pads are the only "local" team in your zip code, I wouldn't expect much to change.

#45 OFFLINE   sunfire9us

sunfire9us

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 361 posts

Posted 16 April 2010 - 10:57 AM

I think we may already have the answer now on the SD4 telecasts!!!! After seeing the Padres/Az games are going to be avail this time on SD4 I think it does look like we've gotten the SD4 telecasts back!!!!

#46 OFFLINE   paco1986

paco1986

Icon

• Registered
  • 572 posts

Posted 16 April 2010 - 12:17 PM

I think we may already have the answer now on the SD4 telecasts!!!! After seeing the Padres/Az games are going to be avail this time on SD4 I think it does look like we've gotten the SD4 telecasts back!!!!

As of this morning, the guide was showing two standard def feeds and only one HD feed for tonight's game. Are you seeing a second HD feed?

#47 OFFLINE   sunfire9us

sunfire9us

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 361 posts

Posted 16 April 2010 - 04:11 PM

As of this morning, the guide was showing two standard def feeds and only one HD feed for tonight's game. Are you seeing a second HD feed?

YES!!!! Channel 739 & 739-1 are the AZ feeds AND 740 & 740-1 are the SD4 telecasts for tonight. My guide had this listed from last night till this min :)

#48 OFFLINE   paco1986

paco1986

Icon

• Registered
  • 572 posts

Posted 16 April 2010 - 09:11 PM

YES!!!! Channel 739 & 739-1 are the AZ feeds AND 740 & 740-1 are the SD4 telecasts for tonight. My guide had this listed from last night till this min :)

I also have both feeds in HD! So you may indeed be correct, SD4 is back!!:D

#49 OFFLINE   Skyboss

Skyboss

Icon

• Registered
  • 578 posts

Posted 20 April 2010 - 12:32 PM

More news on this from today (April 20, 2010):

http://www.signonsan...ut-on-cable-tv/

Padres staying put on cable TV
FCC closed loophole, but procedures not set
By Mike Freeman, UNION-TRIBUNE STAFF WRITER

Tuesday, April 20, 2010 at 12:02 a.m.

Padres fans hoping to watch their games on TV services other than cable are finding that Cox Communications and Time Warner Cable are still the only show in town.

And it will probably stay that way all summer.

Despite a Federal Communications Commission decision in January that forbids cable companies from keeping local sports programming all to themselves, the Padres games are not appearing yet on DirecTV or AT&T U-verse in the San Diego market.

That’s because complicated federal procedures for fully implementing the commission’s January decision have yet to be completed.

Part of the rules went into effect April 2, before the Padres opened the regular season. But an important piece, which detailed steps for competing companies to file complaints if cable operators refuse to negotiate licenses for local sports programming, haven’t become official.

The Office of Management and Budget must examine these proposed procedures to ensure compliance with the federal Paperwork Reduction Act. There is a public comment period, and a notice must be posted in the Federal Register.

And it isn’t clear how long all this might take.

Moreover, New York-based Cablevision filed a notice with a federal court in Washington, D.C., of its intent to challenge the FCC’s January decision, which ends the so-called terrestrial loophole in the federal Cable Act of 1992.

The Cable Act requires cable companies to provide access to local programming they own to rivals at reasonable licensing rates. But the terrestrial loophole created an exemption for local channels that don’t rely on satellite feeds.

The loophole has been most contentious with sports programming in Philadelphia, New York and San Diego. Cablevision’s notice of appeal, filed March 15, contends the commission exceeded its authority and jurisdiction when it decided to close the loophole.

“Instead of appealing to the FCC, Cablevision went over their heads and decided to take it to the circuit court that oversees FCC rulings,” said Mark Kersey, a cable industry analyst based in Solana Beach. “That’s only going to delay the process, obviously.”

So when might Padres games find their way onto Cox rivals DirecTV or U-verse?

“When it comes to regulatory policy and legal action, it’s really difficult to say for sure,” Kersey said.

Cox has exclusive rights to show the Padres games through the 2011 season. It licenses its broadcasts to Time Warner Cable, which isn’t a direct competitor.

But it refuses to license the games to rivals AT&T or satellite television providers.

Last year, AT&T filed a complaint with the FCC, claiming the lack of access to the Padres has hamstrung its efforts grow its U-verse TV service in San Diego, which it launched in 2007.

Cox and Time Warner have 87 percent of the San Diego subscription TV market. In other cities without local sports exclusives, satellite and telephone companies have a combined market share on average of 33 percent, according to AT&T.

AT&T and DirecTV declined to comment. A Cox spokeswoman said the company was still trying to determine how to proceed, given the complexity of the federal rule-making procedures.

In the past, Cox has said it has spent $100 million developing Channel 4 San Diego, which shows a variety of programs in addition to the Padres. It contends that AT&T, which has an exclusive deal to provide service for the iPhone, and DirecTV, which is the sole carrier for the NFL Sunday Ticket package, are unfairly attempting to benefit from Cox’s investment in Channel 4.

When the commission closed the loophole, it said it would not apply the decision to pending complaints, such as AT&T’s action against Cox.

AT&T has asked the commission to rule on its complaint anyway. The company is hoping that because the FCC decided to close the loophole in January, it would have no reason not to uphold the complaint.

An FCC spokeswoman declined to comment because the complaint is pending.

Reps. Bob Filner, D-San Diego, and Duncan Hunter, R-Alpine, sent a joint letter to the commission on March 31 asking it to take action.

The letter stated “all signs point to an exciting summer” for the Padres. “Yet many fans in our districts will be unable to watch the games on television. … Therefore, we urge you to resolve this complaint in a timely manner.”

#50 OFFLINE   sunfire9us

sunfire9us

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 361 posts

Posted 20 April 2010 - 09:56 PM

More news on this from today (April 20, 2010):

http://www.signonsan...ut-on-cable-tv/

Padres staying put on cable TV
FCC closed loophole, but procedures not set
By Mike Freeman, UNION-TRIBUNE STAFF WRITER

Tuesday, April 20, 2010 at 12:02 a.m.

Padres fans hoping to watch their games on TV services other than cable are finding that Cox Communications and Time Warner Cable are still the only show in town.

And it will probably stay that way all summer.

Despite a Federal Communications Commission decision in January that forbids cable companies from keeping local sports programming all to themselves, the Padres games are not appearing yet on DirecTV or AT&T U-verse in the San Diego market.

That’s because complicated federal procedures for fully implementing the commission’s January decision have yet to be completed.

Part of the rules went into effect April 2, before the Padres opened the regular season. But an important piece, which detailed steps for competing companies to file complaints if cable operators refuse to negotiate licenses for local sports programming, haven’t become official.

The Office of Management and Budget must examine these proposed procedures to ensure compliance with the federal Paperwork Reduction Act. There is a public comment period, and a notice must be posted in the Federal Register.

And it isn’t clear how long all this might take.

Moreover, New York-based Cablevision filed a notice with a federal court in Washington, D.C., of its intent to challenge the FCC’s January decision, which ends the so-called terrestrial loophole in the federal Cable Act of 1992.

The Cable Act requires cable companies to provide access to local programming they own to rivals at reasonable licensing rates. But the terrestrial loophole created an exemption for local channels that don’t rely on satellite feeds.

The loophole has been most contentious with sports programming in Philadelphia, New York and San Diego. Cablevision’s notice of appeal, filed March 15, contends the commission exceeded its authority and jurisdiction when it decided to close the loophole.

“Instead of appealing to the FCC, Cablevision went over their heads and decided to take it to the circuit court that oversees FCC rulings,” said Mark Kersey, a cable industry analyst based in Solana Beach. “That’s only going to delay the process, obviously.”

So when might Padres games find their way onto Cox rivals DirecTV or U-verse?

“When it comes to regulatory policy and legal action, it’s really difficult to say for sure,” Kersey said.

Cox has exclusive rights to show the Padres games through the 2011 season. It licenses its broadcasts to Time Warner Cable, which isn’t a direct competitor.

But it refuses to license the games to rivals AT&T or satellite television providers.

Last year, AT&T filed a complaint with the FCC, claiming the lack of access to the Padres has hamstrung its efforts grow its U-verse TV service in San Diego, which it launched in 2007.

Cox and Time Warner have 87 percent of the San Diego subscription TV market. In other cities without local sports exclusives, satellite and telephone companies have a combined market share on average of 33 percent, according to AT&T.

AT&T and DirecTV declined to comment. A Cox spokeswoman said the company was still trying to determine how to proceed, given the complexity of the federal rule-making procedures.

In the past, Cox has said it has spent $100 million developing Channel 4 San Diego, which shows a variety of programs in addition to the Padres. It contends that AT&T, which has an exclusive deal to provide service for the iPhone, and DirecTV, which is the sole carrier for the NFL Sunday Ticket package, are unfairly attempting to benefit from Cox’s investment in Channel 4.

When the commission closed the loophole, it said it would not apply the decision to pending complaints, such as AT&T’s action against Cox.

AT&T has asked the commission to rule on its complaint anyway. The company is hoping that because the FCC decided to close the loophole in January, it would have no reason not to uphold the complaint.

An FCC spokeswoman declined to comment because the complaint is pending.

Reps. Bob Filner, D-San Diego, and Duncan Hunter, R-Alpine, sent a joint letter to the commission on March 31 asking it to take action.

The letter stated “all signs point to an exciting summer” for the Padres. “Yet many fans in our districts will be unable to watch the games on television. … Therefore, we urge you to resolve this complaint in a timely manner.”

Well don't know all the technicalities at this time BUT unlike last year, we have for the last straight week been FINALLY ABLE to watch the SD4 telecasts (atleast outside of the SD market) UNLIKE last year. Thats all that matters now! (:

#51 OFFLINE   Skyboss

Skyboss

Icon

• Registered
  • 578 posts

Posted 21 April 2010 - 09:55 AM

Well don't know all the technicalities at this time BUT unlike last year, we have for the last straight week been FINALLY ABLE to watch the SD4 telecasts (atleast outside of the SD market) UNLIKE last year. Thats all that matters now! (:

Unless you're within the market or well north of it and out of it not only for D* but also Cable but considered in the market so you can't see it on Direct. :nono2:

Sorry, it's just that my area of North County is F'd up with this. We happen to be physically "out of the market" and can't get it on Time Warner cable even though other North County subs can, yet we are considered within the market for blackout purposes so can't get any SD4 programming on Satellite. Most F'd up thing ever.

In a nut shell, it is impossible for me to see any SD4 programing of any kind or Padre games of any kind unless on ESPN or Fox Broadcast Network, with or without a package.

Cox has to go. :soapbox:

Edited by Skyboss, 21 April 2010 - 10:59 AM.

spam firewall