Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

PS3 Slim

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   kevinturcotte

kevinturcotte

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,942 posts
  • LocationOutside Portland, ME

Posted 15 March 2010 - 07:58 PM

I currently have one of the 3rd gen PS3s. 80GB unit, just missed PS2 BC. Wondering if there's any reason to "Upgrade" to a Slim? Other than the increased hard drive space (Which I can do myself for much cheaper), and better/faster hardware in it or anything?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• Registered
  • 10,253 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 15 March 2010 - 08:13 PM

The biggest pros with the PS3 slim is that it runs cooler, uses less energy and takes up less space.

- Merg

Today's problems don't worry me, I haven't solved yesterday's yet.

SlimLine-3 Dish w/ SWM16 (HD Service / WHDVR) / Full Setup
HR34-700 / Panasonic TC-P50G25 HDTV / HDMI / Networked - DECA / Family Room
HR44-700 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

HR24-100 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

#3 OFFLINE   ncxcstud

ncxcstud

Icon

• Registered
  • 591 posts

Posted 15 March 2010 - 08:17 PM

I wouldn't Kevin, you wouldn't really be gaining anything except less fingerprints, because the Slim doesn't have the piano finish...finish...
40" Samsung LCD - LN40B640 (living room)
42" Samsung DLP - HLS4266W
DirecTV HR20-700 Receiver
DirecTV H24-100 Receiver
DirecTV HR24-100 Receiver
Pastor of All Saints Lutheran Church in Mason, MI
XBOX Live, Battle.net, and PSN gamertags - ncxcstud

#4 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 15 March 2010 - 08:38 PM

I wont give up my older 80GB model.....it supports Linux and has SACD playback over HDMI plus 4 usb slots and the media card slots....the newer unit is missing a few things and I use them.....

#5 OFFLINE   whatliesbeyond

whatliesbeyond

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 21 posts

Posted 15 March 2010 - 09:00 PM

I have the original 60 GB version and the new Slim. I use them both, the Slim in the livingroom as a blu-ray player and new generation game console on a 52 inch LCD via HDMI, and the original one as a PS2 game player and "computer" to view (using the PS3's built-in wifi and internet browser) internet content such as Hulu and Crunchyroll on my 32 inch CRT TV (via Component inputs, since the CRT doesn't have HDMI).

The Slim is significantly quieter than the earlier version. But that is really the only significant difference that I have noticed, and the sound difference is not in my opinion a sufficient reason to upgrade to the Slim. So unless you need a second blu-ray player or a somewhat slow internet feeder for another TV at for a separate location (or if you really, really can't stand how loud the earlier version can sometmes get under playback stress), I wouldn't suggest you get a new one.

spam firewall