Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Coming Out of Commercial Jumps During Playback

• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   Michael P

Michael P

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,914 posts

Posted 22 March 2010 - 04:19 PM

Blowgun, Sounds just like a problem I recently had with my VIP722:

http://www.dbstalk.c...ad.php?t=172811

It would not smoothly playback buffered or "recording in progress" shows. It would randomly jump to "live". I was actually impressed with my chat tech support experiences. They walked though some logical problems like remote interference, corrupt recordings, bad hard drive before determining it was bad DVR software. We narrowed it down to only the OTA recordings, which I believe are still stored in the older MPEG2 format. My case was referred to software engineering, but I luckily got a new 722K DVR the next day from a tech that was dispatched to repoint my dish.

Good luck.

A-ha! I too have experienced "jump to live". If you are less than 3 seconds (or so) from the live program the DVR will jump to live. That has been the case going all the way back to my first 921. None of these DVR's like "short spaced" delays. This may be what the OP is experiencing, but it's only on his CBS so maybe not.
An E* subscriber continuously since February 1997.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   Blowgun

Blowgun

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 388 posts

Posted 22 March 2010 - 08:12 PM

It happens while "watching a recorded event". It has nothing to do with live TV. :hair:

#23 OFFLINE   Blowgun

Blowgun

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 388 posts

Posted 23 March 2010 - 02:13 PM

Finished watching a recording of this past Sunday's 60 Minutes, and the problem was there 50 percent of the time. The jump happened going into the first and second segment, but no jump with the third and Andy Rooney segment.

#24 OFFLINE   Michael P

Michael P

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,914 posts

Posted 23 March 2010 - 02:44 PM

Is the problem repeatable on the same segments? I know you can rewind to see the "jumped over' segments, but if you went back to the end of the last segment and repeated the skip forward button pushes, will the same segments act the same way every time?

#25 OFFLINE   Blowgun

Blowgun

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 388 posts

Posted 23 March 2010 - 05:32 PM

Is the problem repeatable on the same segments? I know you can rewind to see the "jumped over' segments, but if you went back to the end of the last segment and repeated the skip forward button pushes, will the same segments act the same way every time?

Sorry, I'm not sure what you mean. Here is some of what I have tried:

I have let it play from the end of the previous segment right through the commercials to the beginning of the next segment and it jumps. No button pushing at all.

I have pushed the jump forward button from the end of the previous segment through the commercials to just before the beginning of the next segment and when played it jumps when the next segment begins.

I have pushed the jump back button from the beginning of the segment back into the commercials and when played it jumps when the next segment begins.

I have pushed the rewind button from the beginning of the segment back into the commercials and when played it jumps when the next segment begins.

It does not seem to matter how you get there, the recording jumps in the exact same place every time.

#26 OFFLINE   Blowgun

Blowgun

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 388 posts

Posted 27 March 2010 - 11:41 PM

Add ABC to the list.

#27 OFFLINE   Michael P

Michael P

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,914 posts

Posted 29 March 2010 - 03:59 PM

Sorry, I'm not sure what you mean. Here is some of what I have tried:

I have let it play from the end of the previous segment right through the commercials to the beginning of the next segment and it jumps. No button pushing at all.

I have pushed the jump forward button from the end of the previous segment through the commercials to just before the beginning of the next segment and when played it jumps when the next segment begins.

I have pushed the jump back button from the beginning of the segment back into the commercials and when played it jumps when the next segment begins.

I have pushed the rewind button from the beginning of the segment back into the commercials and when played it jumps when the next segment begins.

It does not seem to matter how you get there, the recording jumps in the exact same place every time.

It's starting to look like it's broadcast that way. Do you have any neighbors who may have recorded the same show via a different provider (D* cable or OTA)? You need to compare what you are seeing with another recording of the very same show.

BTW I misunderstood an earlier post. I thought you said that you could rewind back through the part that "jumped", now it appears that the missed segments are lost and not recoverable by rewinding.

#28 OFFLINE   Blowgun

Blowgun

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 388 posts

Posted 07 April 2010 - 11:21 PM

Received a reply from DQ. It was suggested, based on another customer with a similar complaint, that using two dishes instead of one might fix this problem. How would adding a second dish, when the signal strength with one is fine, improve the transition between a commercial break and programming that affects only two local channels and only during prime-time?

Does that make sense to you?

#29 OFFLINE   Blowgun

Blowgun

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 388 posts

Posted 09 April 2010 - 05:25 PM

No advice?

#30 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,314 posts
  • LocationNorthern California Redwoods

Posted 09 April 2010 - 06:12 PM

Received a reply from DQ. It was suggested, based on another customer with a similar complaint, that using two dishes instead of one might fix this problem. How would adding a second dish, when the signal strength with one is fine, improve the transition between a commercial break and programming that affects only two local channels and only during prime-time?

No.

"In a hundred years there'll be a whole new set of people."
"Always poke the bears. They sleep too much for their own good."

"If you're good enough, they'll talk about you." - Tom Harmon
A GEEZER who remembers watching TV in 1951 and was an Echostar customer from 1988 to 2008, now a Dish Network customer.
My AV Setup
My Slingbox Pro HD Experience
My Blog: The Redwood Guardian

#31 OFFLINE   Blowgun

Blowgun

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 388 posts

Posted 09 April 2010 - 11:40 PM

Thanks, I didn't think so either, but I thought I was overlooking something. Just wanted to be sure. I have since wrote the DQ person back explaining some of the problems with that suggestion.

#32 OFFLINE   Michael P

Michael P

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,914 posts

Posted 10 April 2010 - 09:01 AM

The 2-dish "solution" is for signal reception problems. That has absolutely nothing to do with your issue.

With a signal reception problem you would lose portions of the program randomly, usually followed by a warning message saying some of your program has been lost due to signal issues.

Did the person suggesting the 2 dish fix ask you for signal strength readings?

#33 OFFLINE   Blowgun

Blowgun

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 388 posts

Posted 10 April 2010 - 10:38 AM

Come to think of it, nope, I was never asked about the signal strength. Also, I doubt the 508 is dying, as the issue happens at a specific time. With the exception of the 508s, all the hardware is less than 2 years old, not that something couldn't go bad, but still.

At one point I thought maybe it had something to do with the long transition between commercial and programing, but then I started watching NASA-TV which has very long still objects, and the issue doesn't happen on there when NASA switches from a still objects to motion.

The day before Yesterday I was watching a recording of 60 minutes. When the first segment started, there was another 10 second jump. Using the remote I was able to move back and forth with the frame back and frame forward and I saw the glitch on the screen. At the top of the screen was a narrow band of corruption. It could only be seen going frame back and not frame forward. Going frame forward in the wrong spot can cause it to jump 20 or more seconds into the program when it hits the glitch. Or worse, if you hit play at that point, there is no video, only audio.

Even though I believe I've described the problem rather well, and I'm sure DISH has a way to monitor all the net-feeds from the local channels, I would of thought by now DISH would have connected a 508 and simply recorded the effected show. There has been plenty of opportunities over the past several weeks for DISH to see for themselves exactly what's going on.

#34 OFFLINE   Blowgun

Blowgun

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 388 posts

Posted 20 April 2010 - 08:23 AM

I'm told that some receivers are more sensitive to network switching. It's really odd how both 508 receivers started having the same problem, at the same time, with the same installation that's worked flawlessly until this past February. So, at this time DISH will be sending out one 508 as a test. If the replacement 508 solves the problem, they will then send out a second 508 replacement for our other 508 receiver. Will report back when more information becomes available.

#35 OFFLINE   Blowgun

Blowgun

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 388 posts

Posted 30 April 2010 - 03:41 PM

The replacement receiver that DISH sent out was DOA. Tech appointment has been scheduled. Anyone care to guess what the Tech will find to be the problem?

Will report back when more information becomes available.

#36 OFFLINE   Blowgun

Blowgun

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 388 posts

Posted 04 May 2010 - 03:32 PM

Tech came out and confirmed that the replacement receiver was DOA. Tech said that the stingers were too long and replaced the connectors. So, you're all wrong. :P

He said the stingers were not long enough to reach into the switch, but if it ain't shorting something out, what's the deal with too long of a stinger?

Will report back when more information becomes available.

#37 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,291 posts

Posted 04 May 2010 - 03:37 PM

The extra length could have been acting as an antenna inside the switch.
I'm glad it wasn't shorting out.

#38 OFFLINE   Blowgun

Blowgun

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 388 posts

Posted 13 May 2010 - 02:08 AM

The extra length could have been acting as an antenna inside the switch.

Interesting. This "antenna" effect, do you think it could be the cause of the jumping?

While the Tech was here I showed the jump problem and he felt that it was a network problem of some kind. Recent recordings are not jumping when the program returns from commercial, but it's still too early to know for sure if it's fixed.

I don't know if it is a coincidence or not, but the OTA channel that had the jump problem now has a new ID Bug, and I'm wondering if there wasn't a switching problem when they would insert the ID Bug over the network feed.

I'm glad it wasn't shorting out.

Yeah, me too. The Tech was inadequately prepared and didn't bring a switch or for that matter two replacement receivers. DISH told me later that they were not happy about that, as they wanted all the hardware replaced.

Thanks.

#39 OFFLINE   Blowgun

Blowgun

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 388 posts

Posted 18 June 2010 - 04:56 PM

Recent recordings are not jumping when the program returns from commercial, but it's still too early to know for sure if it's fixed.

After having given it a month, the jumping issue has not returned.

I don't know if it is a coincidence or not, but the OTA channel that had the jump problem now has a new ID Bug, and I'm wondering if there wasn't a switching problem when they would insert the ID Bug over the network feed.

While I never received a confirmation from DISH if they had contacted the local stations, the inept placement and design of the ID Bug looks hurried.

I would say at this time that the jumping issue has been resolved, though who knows if it will return. We now return our attention back to the 25+ verified bugs in the 508 that will never get fixed. :mad:

spam firewall