Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Netflix and Dish Network

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Clumsyhawk

Clumsyhawk

• Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 16 March 2010 - 07:19 AM

Can i use my Dish Network receiver or DVR for watching streaming video from Netflix?:confused:

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   RasputinAXP

RasputinAXP

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,135 posts

Posted 16 March 2010 - 07:51 AM

Nope.

"Belligerent and numerous."

Sometimes I update the Dish Network FAQ

AT200, Hopper & 360 via HDMI to Onkyo 505 to basement 42" Westy, Hopper via Comp-over-Cat5 to living room 42" Vizio with a Roku 3, Joey to Toshiba 32" LCD with a Logitech Revue. You want fries with that? Pull up to the 2nd window.

#3 OFFLINE   TulsaOK

TulsaOK

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,469 posts

Posted 16 March 2010 - 09:00 AM

:welcome_s ClumsyHawk.
<span style='font-size: 10px;'>“Life is hard; it's harder if you're stupid.”<br /> - John Wayne</span><br /><br />Avatar: Tanner 1992 - 2009

#4 OFFLINE   SaltiDawg

SaltiDawg

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,375 posts

Posted 16 March 2010 - 09:45 AM

Can i use my Dish Network receiver or DVR for watching streaming video from Netflix?:confused:

Here are the devices that allow Netflix streaming....
http://www.netflix.c...k&trkid=1445376

#5 OFFLINE   DishTV

DishTV

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 27 posts

Posted 16 March 2010 - 10:37 AM

LG has three others in their 500 series; 550, 570, 590.

The 590 has a 250 Gb hard drive, neat features for about $380.:icon_da:

I really want Dish Equipment to work correctly.
TV: SONY 46" W3100. Sat DVR's: New Dish Hopper w/Sling and 1 Joey that won't maintain a "Link".
DVD: SONY BDP-BX2
Audio: Okyno TX-SR505. Theater Spkrs: 5.1. House Speakers: Analog

#6 OFFLINE   SaltiDawg

SaltiDawg

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,375 posts

Posted 16 March 2010 - 11:12 AM

LG has three others in their 500 series; 550, 570, 590.

The 590 has a 250 Gb hard drive, neat features for about $380.:icon_da:

You can get either an Xbox 360 or a PS3 for considerably less money and in the case of the PS3 have a quality BD player. If games mean anyghting to anyone in the family, there is that additional feature. :)

Both the Xbox 360 and the PS3 also function as a media extender allowing the streaming of music, photos, and video from an PC.

#7 ONLINE   lparsons21

lparsons21

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,279 posts
  • LocationHerrin, IL

Posted 16 March 2010 - 12:14 PM

Sony's 460 BD player is very good for Netflix also, I think a newer 470 is either out now or coming very soon which will broaden that.

It does Netflix HD streams also and Netflix is very good about testing your broadband and equipment and doing some tailoring to your situation so it comes in very smooth.

Lloyd
Receiver : DirecTV Genie HR44-700, Dish Hopper w/Sling & Super Joey
HDTV : Mitsi WD-73742 73" 3D DLP
Surround: Denon AVR-2113ci 7.1 Setup

#8 OFFLINE   BattleZone

BattleZone

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,969 posts

Posted 16 March 2010 - 03:32 PM

NetFlix is a direct competitor of Dish's PPV, so there is not a lot of motivation for them to add a NetFlix client, even if they could.

#9 OFFLINE   finniganps

finniganps

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,517 posts

Posted 16 March 2010 - 04:28 PM

A lot of Blu-Ray players stream, however make sure it comes with a wireless adapter if you don't have an ethernet cable near your TV.

#10 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,384 posts
  • LocationNorthern California Redwoods

Posted 16 March 2010 - 04:29 PM

Fortunately, one of Dish's best kept secrets is Dish Online:

Posted Image

The site is kind of a link collection. In addition to what you can download on your ViP DVR, you can watch movies on your computer as the link takes you to Roxio CinemaNow; listen to music as a link takes you to Pandora Music; International entertainment includes B4U Music (Bollywood type fare) and Dandana TV (Middle Eastern American entertainment); Sports has links to NBA League Pass Broadband; News links to some of the usual suspects plus BBC World.

You get the idea. I thought the web site would someday be the browser interface for Dish Online, but it sure hasn't gone anywhere yet.

"In a hundred years there'll be a whole new set of people."
"Always poke the bears. They sleep too much for their own good."

"If you're good enough, they'll talk about you." - Tom Harmon
A GEEZER who remembers watching TV in 1951 and was an Echostar customer from 1988 to 2008, now a Dish Network customer.
My AV Setup
My Slingbox Pro HD Experience
My Blog: The Redwood Guardian

spam firewall