Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Best way to find an HR20?

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Avder

Avder

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,395 posts

Posted 16 March 2010 - 10:53 PM

I was wondering if anyone had any tips aside from "look on ebay" to finding an HR20? Ive decided I'd like to add an owned HR20 to my account so I could get a huge hard drive as well as OTA in the same box and just move my existing HR21 into the bedroom.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   joshjr

joshjr

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,353 posts
  • LocationNE Oklahoma

Posted 16 March 2010 - 11:45 PM

I was wondering if anyone had any tips aside from "look on ebay" to finding an HR20? Ive decided I'd like to add an owned HR20 to my account so I could get a huge hard drive as well as OTA in the same box and just move my existing HR21 into the bedroom.

Get a Reciever ID so you can call into D* and ask if its a owned unit. I always ask if its still active on their account to. If it is a leased unit or a still active then you can add it to your account even if you wanted to.

Keep in mind that you will need a new access card to and thats $20. Dont trust anyone who just says that the reciever is owned. If they say its already boxed up then ask them to either log into their accout online or to call and get the reciever id. Unless you want to pay $150 and get something you can use that is.

Make sure they have a decent rating. Other then that I would just hope that they plan to ship in a timley fashion and dont want an arm and a leg for the shipping. Craigs List is another place to look or sometimes Amazon as well. One other place is on this website. There is a forum just for this. You can ask if anyone is wanting to part with a HR20 thats owned. Good luck with it. I may in the near future find me a HR20 owned as well. I did just buy a owned R22 recently though. Works for HD as well. Its working like a champ so far.

#3 OFFLINE   Yoda-DBSguy

Yoda-DBSguy

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,083 posts
  • LocationA Galaxy Far, Far Away.....

Posted 17 March 2010 - 12:08 AM

The HR20 doesn't have the "huge" hard drive you are eluding to. It is 320 GB where as the newer models incoporate a 500GB drive.

If your looking for a large drive with more recordign capacity; simply add an external eSATA drive to any of the HRx series models and accomplish the capacity of your choice (1TB, 1.5TB, 2TB, etc).

As far as the OTA; I'm sure your aware of the AM-21 add-on as you mentioned wanting it to be all in one receiver. trithfully the AM21 works better then the incoporated OTA module contained within the HR20.

The one advantage the HR20 does infact have however is a faster processor speed then it's offspring.

I'd just be worried about buying a 5+year old unit with the problems that could arise from it being in use that amount of time priorly to your purchase.

You can purchase a new HR21 Pro outright if your not wanting to lease a unit and it does NOT require a commitment extention by doing so. Add on an external eSATA drive with the capacity of your choice and the matching AM-21 OTA tuner and you'll have the best of each class. at least this way you get a new unit that should give you some good usage tiem (hopefully without issue).

The only other option maybe to wait for the approaching release of the HR24which contains a faster processor then any previous model; but that too will be leased and NOT owned and still has an incoporated 500 GB drive as well as the need for the aforementioned AM-21.

#4 OFFLINE   joshjr

joshjr

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,353 posts
  • LocationNE Oklahoma

Posted 17 March 2010 - 12:23 AM

The HR20 doesn't have the "huge" hard drive you are eluding to. It is 320 GB where as the newer models incoporate a 500GB drive.

If your looking for a large drive with more recordign capacity; simply add an external eSATA drive to any of the HRx series models and accomplish the capacity of your choice (1TB, 1.5TB, 2TB, etc).

As far as the OTA; I'm sure your aware of the AM-21 add-on as you mentioned wanting it to be all in one receiver. trithfully the AM21 works better then the incoporated OTA module contained within the HR20.

The one advantage the HR20 does infact have however is a faster processor speed then it's offspring.

I'd just be worried about buying a 5+year old unit with the problems that could arise from it being in use that amount of time priorly to your purchase.

You can purchase a new HR21 Pro outright if your not wanting to lease a unit and it does NOT require a commitment extention by doing so. Add on an external eSATA drive with the capacity of your choice and the matching AM-21 OTA tuner and you'll have the best of each class. at least this way you get a new unit that should give you some good usage tiem (hopefully without issue).

The only other option maybe to wait for the approaching release of the HR24which contains a faster processor then any previous model; but that too will be leased and NOT owned and still has an incoporated 500 GB drive as well as the need for the aforementioned AM-21.

I took it that he meant he wanted to add a external for it. I dont know alot of people that want to buy a HR21 pro. I know I dont. I think the HR21's are slow as dirt. I will never own one if I can help it. The OTA tuners on the HR20 are not the greatest but I have heard alot of people say that the AM21 is no better.

#5 OFFLINE   Avder

Avder

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,395 posts

Posted 17 March 2010 - 12:26 AM

The idea is that I would personally swap the drive out on any HR20 I bought. I also want the faster speed of the HR20. The ability to scan also seems nice rather than dealing with what I have heard is a spotty setup procedure with the AM21.

Also, the HR21 Pro seems very expensive.

#6 OFFLINE   joshjr

joshjr

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,353 posts
  • LocationNE Oklahoma

Posted 17 March 2010 - 12:37 AM

The idea is that I would personally swap the drive out on any HR20 I bought. I also want the faster speed of the HR20. The ability to scan also seems nice rather than dealing with what I have heard is a spotty setup procedure with the AM21.

They are expensive. You would be better of finding an owned R22 then a HR21 Pro. Also the HR20's dont scan for OTA channels if thats what you were thinking.

#7 OFFLINE   Yoda-DBSguy

Yoda-DBSguy

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,083 posts

Posted 17 March 2010 - 12:38 AM

My points were as follows:

The HR21pro is a owned not leased unit which is what the OP wanted in the first place. This also gives him the assurance of having a unit without the worry about it not working for any particular functionality. I mean the HR20 is 5+years old at this time and the probability of having something wrong with a unit that has been in service that long is MUCH higher.

The HR21Pro also incoporates an active exaust fan for cooler operating tempatures as well as it's ability to be rack mounted.

The HR21Pro can currently be found for $380 on buy.com and with a little more searching you can find a few lower prices at different online retailers ....

As far as the AM21 goes, I pick up a couple of stations with it that my HR20's simply don't in my area.

The AM-21 also has a distrinct advantage over the incoporated HR20's tuner. The fact that it can receive locals where ever it is, even if you take it with you on vacation (a HUGE plus for those with vacation homes or campers/trailers). Whereas the HR20 is only able to receive the locals on file for the address on the DirecTV account and only when in the spotbeam of that specific market. In other words, if you took your HR20 on vacation or in a camper as mentoined and are anywhere but the spotbeam for the address on file with directv, you will NOT receive local stations. You would only receive the dreaded searching for satellite signal ext 771 nag even though we're taking about OTA locals.

#8 OFFLINE   joshjr

joshjr

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,353 posts
  • LocationNE Oklahoma

Posted 17 March 2010 - 12:55 AM

My points were as follows:

The HR21pro is a owned not leased unit which is what the OP wanted in the first place. This also gives him the assurance of having a unit without the worry about it not working for any particular functionality. I mean the HR20 is 5+years old at this time and the probability of having something wrong with a unit that has been in service that long is MUCH higher.

The HR21Pro also incoporates an active exaust fan for cooler operating tempatures as well as it's ability to be rack mounted.

The HR21Pro can currently be found for $380 on buy.com and with a little more searching you can find a few lower prices at different online retailers ....

As far as the AM21 goes, I pick up a couple of stations with it that my HR20's simply don't in my area.

The AM-21 also has a distrinct advantage over the incoporated HR20's tuner. The fact that it can receive locals where ever it is, even if you take it with you on vacation (a HUGE plus for those with vacation homes or campers/trailers). Whereas the HR20 is only able to receive the locals on file for the address on the DirecTV account and only when in the spotbeam of that specific market. In other words, if you took your HR20 on vacation or in a camper as mentoined and are anywhere but the spotbeam for the address on file with directv, you will NOT receive local stations. You would only receive the dreaded searching for satellite signal ext 771 nag even though we're taking about OTA locals.

What are you even talking about? The AM21 wont get you on the road something the HR20 wont. The HR20 is capable of getting 2 other DMA's besides the ones you live in with an antenna which is what the AM21 does as well. Both go off an antenna and have nothing to do with that D* will give you. That no only makes no sence but its not even relevant to this situation.

#9 OFFLINE   joshjr

joshjr

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,353 posts
  • LocationNE Oklahoma

Posted 17 March 2010 - 01:09 AM

To take a AM21 with you, you would have to have the reciever. The AM21 is not going to get you something the HR20 wont in most cases. They are tuners. They will show what the antenna can pick up. That dont matter if its the HR20 or the AM21 and it sure dont matter where you are at. An antenna will get what it gets and either one will play it.

#10 OFFLINE   Avder

Avder

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,395 posts

Posted 17 March 2010 - 01:33 AM

Okay, a couple of points I would like to make:

An HR21Pro is out of my price range. I have seen HR20s on Ebay for around 150, and that is what I am shooting for for an owned HDDVR.

I want the whole package in one unit. I am already going to get an AM21 at some point for my existing HR21-700.

I also want the speed that the HR20 reportedly has over the HR21.

I am planning on getting a rooftop antenna installed sometime over the next few months, so if both the AM21 and HR20 tuners have comparable performance, I would rather go with the HR20.

Existing hard drive space on an HR20 is not a concern as I plan to dismantle the unit, take out the existing drive, and put in a new drive as large as the HR20 can handle.

I started this thread mainly so I could get information on all the places on the net I could/should look in order to obtain an HR20 in good working condition. In my experience if a piece of electronics lasts over 5 years without any of its solid state devices failing, it should continue to work unless it ends up mishandled, the exception being the hard drive since it is a mechanical device and thus its failure is only a matter of time.

#11 OFFLINE   Yoda-DBSguy

Yoda-DBSguy

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,083 posts

Posted 17 March 2010 - 01:53 AM

What are you even talking about? The AM21 wont get you on the road something the HR20 wont. The HR20 is capable of getting 2 other DMA's besides the ones you live in with an antenna which is what the AM21 does as well. Both go off an antenna and have nothing to do with that D* will give you. That no only makes no sence but its not even relevant to this situation.

You're mistaken.

The HR20 can only receive the locals that the guide tells it can based on the address on file for the directv account where as the AM 21 actually scans for locals from the area the receiver is physically located. Although it p[icks up locals from your rooftop antenna, it will only do so in the city/area of the address on file because the tuner adds only the local station numbers that are downloaded from directv's databased based on that area. It will NOT pick up locals from elsewhere even if moved to that location (unless you actually change the address on file with directv for your account).

I do it myself when vacationing in my camper. You can confirm this with others that do the same thing (which is more often then you think).

The whole thing is a moot point anyways as the OP stated that an 21pro+AM21 module bundle is beyond his price point parameters.

#12 OFFLINE   joshjr

joshjr

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,353 posts
  • LocationNE Oklahoma

Posted 17 March 2010 - 02:02 AM

You're mistaken.

The HR20 can only receive the locals that the guide tells it can based on the address on file for the directv account where as the AM 21 actually scans for locals from the area the receiver is physically located. Although it p[icks up locals from your rooftop antenna, it will only do so in the city/area of the address on file because the tuner adds only the local station numbers that are downloaded from directv's databased based on that area. It will NOT pick up locals from elsewhere even if moved to that location (unless you actually change the address on file with directv for your account).

I do it myself when vacationing in my camper. You can confirm this with others that do the same thing (which is more often then you think).

The whole thing is a moot point anyways as the OP stated that an 21pro+AM21 module bundle is beyond his price point parameters.

No your wrong. When setting up the antenna on a HR20 it asks you for the zip code you want to set up for. You can chose 2 different zip codes and neither have to be yours either. The guide data will pull whats in the database for those zip codes. Do I need to furnish pics to prove you wrong? I have a HR20 sitting at home and would be happy to do so. Or you could do some searches on this site and see that I am correct.

#13 OFFLINE   joshjr

joshjr

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,353 posts
  • LocationNE Oklahoma

Posted 17 March 2010 - 02:05 AM

A percfect example for me is that I set mine for my DMA (Joplin/Pittsburg) and the Tulsa DMA as well and I can get some stations from both with my antenna. When the cnversion happend some lost a few channels and they were able to get around it with the HR20 by entering a diffferent zip code that had a station with the mapping for the channel they wanted and it would work. The guide data would be wrong cause it was not the right channel but the channel would work. Your antenna would get 14-1 and it would be your channel but it was programmed from a different DMA so the guide data would show it as a different affiliate.

#14 OFFLINE   say-what

say-what

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 5,649 posts
  • LocationNew Orleans

Posted 17 March 2010 - 05:12 AM

You're mistaken.

Wow, talk about bad info. I have both, an HR20 and HR21/AM21, HR23/AM21 combo. Neither the HR20 nor the AM21 rely upon your service address for OTA channels, the zip code used for OTA reception can be different than that on your account. The AM21 works exactly the same way that the OTA tuners in the HR20 do - both require you to enter a primary zip code in the OTA Antenna setup (you can enter a secondary zip if you're able to receive OTA signals from an additional market) and the only channels you get are those that the DirecTV database says are available for the zip code you enter. None of the DirecTV OTA tuners (HR20 or AM21) scan for channels like your TV set may do. They only receive those channels that DirecTV's database says they should, which is fairly accurate, although some errors can exist at times.

#15 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,916 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 17 March 2010 - 07:40 AM

One other thing on the OPs original questions, and to add to what Joshjr said. Call DirecTV with the Receiver ID, but ask for the Access Card department. There have been cases where a standard CSR says it is owned, but really is not. The access card people are the absolute best ones to ask about owned/leased status.

#16 OFFLINE   chdoud

chdoud

Legend

• Registered
  • 116 posts

Posted 17 March 2010 - 07:55 AM

You're mistaken.

Joshjr is correct..

The AM21 & HR20 (I have both) use the same technology for obtaining OTA guide info and same process for setup.

I live in a fringe area and I have found that my AM21 has a better ATSC tuner then the HR20. It is also better then my Sony XBR tuner.
-------------------------------------
HR20-100 --> Sony 46" KDL XBR4 (HDMI)
HR21-200 --> Sony 46" KDL XBR4 (HDMI)
H21-200 --> Westinghouse LTV 27w6 (HDMI)
Simline Dish
D* since 1996

#17 OFFLINE   domingos35

domingos35

Icon

• Registered
  • 536 posts

Posted 17 March 2010 - 10:25 AM

:eek2: i could 've sent u my 2 HR20-700 's months ago when i terminated my account with DTV:lol:

#18 OFFLINE   drpjr

drpjr

Icon

• Registered
  • 722 posts

Posted 17 March 2010 - 10:56 AM

I was wondering if anyone had any tips aside from "look on ebay" to finding an HR20?

The only other place I've actually seen someone find one is Craigslist but you would lose any purchase protection such as PayPal going there. I check the newspapers every so often and see D DVRs but never an HR20.:( It would seem the advice around here has created a bit of a shortage.:eek2:

#19 OFFLINE   tkrandall

tkrandall

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,795 posts

Posted 17 March 2010 - 11:38 AM

:eek2: i could 've sent u my 2 HR20-700 's months ago when i terminated my account with DTV:lol:

Only if you owned 'em. DirecTV does not allow for transfers of equipment as far as I know.

#20 OFFLINE   joshjr

joshjr

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,353 posts
  • LocationNE Oklahoma

Posted 19 July 2010 - 09:08 PM

I got a great deal on a owned HR20-700 this weekend. $74.99 plus shipping. I cant wait to get it. One more step for me moving towards all owned equipment.
Directv & Sunday Ticket Sub Since 8/19/2008
HR24-200 Leased, HR24-200 Owned, R22-200 Owned, HR22-100 Owned, HR22-100 Owned, HR34-700 Leased. 5 LNB Setup W/SWM 16 Switch
Sony KDL-46HX800

Protected By... spam firewall...And...