Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Blockbuster may file for bankruptcy

• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,869 posts

Posted 17 March 2010 - 02:20 PM

Blockbuster Inc. shares plunged further into penny-stock territory Wednesday after the struggling home-video-rental company said in a regulatory filing that it will likely file for bankruptcy if it's unable to address its debt load.

Full article at Marketwatch

In other news, sky is still blue. Seriously, who didn't see this coming two years ago? All I can say is, if you're a place with brick-and-mortar, "right now" access to something, you have to do a really poor job of it to have your hat handed to you by a mail-order business (like netflix.)

With Hollywood Video all but gone and Blockbuster living on borrowed time, our choices may very soon be netflix, redbox, and On Demand/PPV. You know what though? I'm probably ok with that.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   raott

raott

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,135 posts

Posted 17 March 2010 - 02:26 PM

Full article at Marketwatch

In other news, sky is still blue. Seriously, who didn't see this coming two years ago? All I can say is, if you're a place with brick-and-mortar, "right now" access to something, you have to do a really poor job of it to have your hat handed to you by a mail-order business (like netflix.)

With Hollywood Video all but gone and Blockbuster living on borrowed time, our choices may very soon be netflix, redbox, and On Demand/PPV. You know what though? I'm probably ok with that.

Blockbuster has so far refused to adopt the Netflix style On Demand pricing, which cannot be helping matters and was the reason I switched from Blockbuster to Netflix.
SONY KDS-55A3000 and a couple of Vizios; SWM16; HR34 NR; HR22 NR; HR20-700 NR; H23-600 NR; R22 NR

#3 OFFLINE   bidger

bidger

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,946 posts

Posted 17 March 2010 - 02:26 PM

As a consumer, I'm fine with that as well. Never had a Blockbuster membership, haven't done a Hollywood rental in about a decade, Netflix offers all I need. I just feel bad that it means even more people out of work.

I do recall around this time in 2008 when BB was looking at buying Circuit City and the joke going around was the benefit would be one doomed company instead of two.

Ceton 6 tuner eth, Cisco Tuning Adapter 1520, TWC Digital Explorer Pak and Standard Internet, TiVo HD (upgraded to 500 GB) for OTA,TC-P50U50, SONY NSZ-GT1 BD player and Google TV box, Yamaha RX-V373 A/V receiver, Squeezebox Duet music streaming device, Xbox 360 

#4 OFFLINE   spartanstew

spartanstew

Dry as a bone

• Registered
  • 12,442 posts
  • LocationWylie, Texas

Posted 17 March 2010 - 02:38 PM

Well, I can certainly understand why people would think otherwise, but I'll miss BlockBuster.

Have been a member for years and was one of their dvd by mail beta customers at one time. It helps that there's a BB half a mile from my house and I pass by it twice a day. That's what made in-store exchanges with BB much more convenient than Netflix for me.

I'm sure Directv can't wait to get their hands on your unit.

Directv customer since 2000

#5 OFFLINE   dettxw

dettxw

MRVing

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,025 posts
  • LocationChoctaw, OK

Posted 17 March 2010 - 03:54 PM

I guess anything that happens to them won't affect me much. I literally can't remember the last time I rented a movie from them.

-Steve- Subscriber since Sept 1998  My Complete Setup 

SWM16 / HR44-500 (2TB & AM21) / HR34-700 (3TB & AM21) / HR24-500 (2TB eSATA) / C31 via WCCK / C41 x2 / C41W / H25-700

#6 OFFLINE   Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich

Lifetime Achiever

• Registered
  • 30,092 posts

Posted 17 March 2010 - 03:56 PM

I worked for Blockbuster during their hay-day.... Over the 5 years I worked for them, I helped opened at least 30 different stores here in the midwest. I had to travel a few times several hours.

Receiving 100s of copies of videos, and they were always gone on a Friday night.

20 years later... they are a ghost town.

Out of the 18 or so that were with-in a 20 minute drive of my home. Only two left.
And those two are maybe 1/3rd the size they used to be.

I have seen one of Blockbusters "red-box" type systems, but it is in one of our smaller independent grocery stores. Redbox is everywhere around here.

Netflix did the major damage to Blockbuster, but Redbox finished them off.

Hollywood Video is closing their last store in the area right now... I know of one mom-pop rental store left, but they specialize in foreign films.

I long since stopped visiting Blockbuster, once their pricing got way out of wack.
I did rent around Christmas time a couple video games, because I had a rent one, get one free deal... still cost me $8 for 5 days... $8 for one video game, to rent it for a week.
Earl - Gotta Love Karma

DIRECTV employee since April 2008.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#7 OFFLINE   matt

matt

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,858 posts

Posted 17 March 2010 - 04:06 PM

Good riddance to bad rubbish...

I dislike blockbuster. They never have anything "good", it costs 3x as much as any other rental place, and they always seem to smell like baby puke.

They just built a family video here in Stillwater. The new releases are $1. Classics are 2 for $1. Even though I have no interest and it goes against "family" in the name, they even have an adult section. ;) Redbox can't touch those prices, they have no line to find out they are out of the movie you want, they are friendly, and they take cash.
Slimline 5 with SWM-16
Wireless DECA
HR34-700!
R22-200 Leased
Owned H25-700 and H24-700 off and packed for the move.

DIRECTV subscriber since Nov. 2009

#8 OFFLINE   BattleZone

BattleZone

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,969 posts

Posted 17 March 2010 - 04:07 PM

Blockbuster is an excellent lesson in failing (or refusing) to adapt. When NetFlix first started up, Blockbuster could/should have reacted and leveraged their might and cash and crushed NetFlix like a bug. But they failed to grasp the NetFlix model, which they could have copied and improved upon, with all of their local retail stores. They could have put all of their local stores' inventories online, and built an expanded library of mail-order-only for smaller titles, and allowed a combo of mail or walk-in rentals. But Blockbuster either didn't see the obvious threat, or refused to do anything about it.

Then, there was the second big oppertunity: instant viewing via Internet streaming. Blockbuster could have used that to regain their position, but again, they failed to see the obvious future, while NetFlix (clearly a TECHNOLOGY company) was busy licensing their clients to anyone who built a box that connects to a TV set.

You don't often get a second chance in business, but Blockbuster had 2, and failed both times. Bye bye, Blockbuster.

#9 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,720 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 17 March 2010 - 04:11 PM

Don't assume that Netflix killed Blockbuster or Hollywood Video. Red Box had a key role in their undoing as well.

It is all about eliminating jobs to reduce overhead.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#10 OFFLINE   BattleZone

BattleZone

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,969 posts

Posted 17 March 2010 - 04:43 PM

I understand RedBox's role, but Blockbuster has been on a major decline for a lot longer than Redbox has been around. Plus, Redbox doesn't have streaming clients, and that's driving a LOT of subscriptions to NetFlix right now, and a ton more in the future.

#11 OFFLINE   Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich

Lifetime Achiever

• Registered
  • 30,092 posts

Posted 17 March 2010 - 05:09 PM

Don't assume that Netflix killed Blockbuster or Hollywood Video. Red Box had a key role in their undoing as well.

It is all about eliminating jobs to reduce overhead.

As noted above:

Netflix did the major damage to Blockbuster, but Redbox finished them off.

Earl - Gotta Love Karma

DIRECTV employee since April 2008.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#12 OFFLINE   matt

matt

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,858 posts

Posted 18 March 2010 - 02:23 AM

Posted Image
Slimline 5 with SWM-16
Wireless DECA
HR34-700!
R22-200 Leased
Owned H25-700 and H24-700 off and packed for the move.

DIRECTV subscriber since Nov. 2009

#13 OFFLINE   schlar01

schlar01

Godfather

• Registered
  • 335 posts

Posted 18 March 2010 - 11:08 AM

That is what happens when you charge $5-6 for a DVD rental and $10 for a video game. Maybe DirecTV should figure out that you aren't going to rent a whole lot of movies at that price. I can get a hell of a lot more Blu-ray rentals per month through Netflix for the same money than I can through DirecTV HD PPV.

#14 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Topic Starter
  • Super Moderators
  • 36,869 posts

Posted 18 March 2010 - 11:08 AM

There is a blockbuster .8 miles from my house. I went in there about 18 months ago. The funny thing was, there was no one in the store except the 4 people waiting on line. Even in an empty store they still had a line.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#15 OFFLINE   sdirv

sdirv

Icon

• Registered
  • 524 posts

Posted 18 March 2010 - 11:19 AM

That is what happens when you charge $5-6 for a DVD rental and $10 for a video game. Maybe DirecTV should figure out that you aren't going to rent a whole lot of movies at that price. I can get a hell of a lot more Blu-ray rentals per month through Netflix for the same money than I can through DirecTV HD PPV.

We've got a couple struggling Blockbuster stores nearby, haven't been inside one in years. I did like going to Hollywood Video when they opened a store near me but that soured as they seemed to raise prices for rentals.

Told the manager there a couple times that I couldn't see renting DVD's for more money than I could buy them for over at Wal-Mart.......

A public library (with a HUGE DVD selection) opened next door to the Hollywood video outlet, shortly the HV store closed. They couldn't compete with free....the library's "system" is very cool. I go online, search/select the movies I want. Library staff pulls them and puts them on hold for me. If the movie is at a different branch, they bring it to my branch and send me e-mail letting me know it's ready. They have new releases (CD's too), so far no Blu-Ray though.......

#16 OFFLINE   ncxcstud

ncxcstud

Icon

• Registered
  • 591 posts

Posted 18 March 2010 - 11:24 AM

I used to work at Blockbuster as well during the late 90s early 00s.

I began to see the writing on the wall once the switch to DVDs was made...reason, you can't rewind a DVD. Our store made GOBS of money because people didn't rewind their VHS tapes.

2nd instance was their crazy 'No Late Fees' deal that went on for a couple years. Rent a movie, keep it out as long as you want (as long as it wasn't more than 31 days) turn it back in for no charge? How did they see that it wouldn't lose money? Rental chains make money off late fees.

Those two instances, coupled with Netflix and Redbox have begun the cracking and jackhammering of Blockbuster's once very secure foundation.
40" Samsung LCD - LN40B640 (living room)
42" Samsung DLP - HLS4266W
DirecTV HR20-700 Receiver
DirecTV H24-100 Receiver
DirecTV HR24-100 Receiver
Pastor of All Saints Lutheran Church in Mason, MI
XBOX Live, Battle.net, and PSN gamertags - ncxcstud

#17 OFFLINE   deweydm

deweydm

AllStar

• Registered
  • 76 posts

Posted 18 March 2010 - 11:36 AM

So over priced rentals from blockbuster are done for, so now they'll push over priced rentals via VOD:

http://www.nytimes.c...a/18demand.html

It really surprises me that apparently enough people will regularly pay $3 to $6 dollars for a single 24 hour rental that they think this will fly. As long as they don't figure out a way to kill redbox and/or netflix, good luck to them, I guess.

#18 OFFLINE   gregjones

gregjones

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,333 posts

Posted 18 March 2010 - 12:01 PM

A lot of people will pay a high PPV price because they do not want to plan ahead and don't want a late fee. Is it what I do? No.

Some people get into a car and start driving before they decide where they will eat dinner. Some people decide what they want, call ahead and are seated immediately upon arrival. One is definitely more logical than the other. That doesn't mean that all people will have the forethought to do what is less expensive or greater value all the time. In short, never underestimate the number of people willing to avoid planning at considerably higher expense. As long as there are many of them on the earth, PPV will make money for all involved.

PS, It is amazing to me that many people that decry the 24-hour rule as evil will gladly accept a charge for each 24-hour period from Redbox. The amounts are different but the principle is the same. So if you're ok with one, you should be ok with the other. Then the argument is only about price per 24-hour period.

#19 OFFLINE   adamson

adamson

Godfather

• Registered
  • 510 posts
  • LocationN Central Florida

Posted 18 March 2010 - 12:32 PM

Ok this really sucks because Netflix after a few yrs with them suddenly stopped taking my debit card and said only credit cards can be used now. Due to problems with peoples billing problems etc. How stupid this was made me go to Blockbuster for my movies via mail. Can anyone tell me if this has changed at Netflix?? Anybody using debit?? I was not happy about this and to bat my Roku is now without Netflix...but Pandora is nice :)

#20 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,965 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 18 March 2010 - 12:36 PM

Ok this really sucks because Netflix after a few yrs with them suddenly stopped taking my debit card and said only credit cards can be used now. Due to problems with peoples billing problems etc. How stupid this was made me go to Blockbuster for my movies via mail. Can anyone tell me if this has changed at Netflix?? Anybody using debit?? I was not happy about this and to bat my Roku is now without Netflix...but Pandora is nice :)

I use my debit card as a Visa credit card with no problem.
If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...