Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

MRV fee $3??

• Please log in to reply
328 replies to this topic

#321 OFFLINE   slimoli

slimoli

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,979 posts

Posted 31 March 2010 - 11:37 AM

What receivers/endpoints do you use? My network (wired Gb with ASUS RT-N16) IS up to snuff and even when I isolate just the two devices (HR21-700's) with nothing else there is periodic disruption. Lot of other factors in play like disk activity, CPU in the device, ............... For me the bottom line is the receivers are just too underpowered to do a lot of multitasking. I know I'm repeating this but I believe the feature should be in the DVR Plus package as we've already paid for the receiver, DTV limited our storage and won't let us upgrade easily (wo/buying new equipment and a long term lease), we already pay an extra receiver fee, ........ :):)

I have a very simple setup: 3 HR22-100 and 1 H21-200 hardwired to a Ethernet switch which is hardwired to my U-Verse router/gateway. After the MPEG4 problem was fixed (the current NR has it fixed), not a single dropout watching basicaly only HD in MVR. Very often, my wife is watching a separate program also using MRV. Before the MPEG4 bug was fixed I was about to give up on MRV but now it's perfect performance-wise.

I do expect MRS (multiple room scheduling) soon or whatever name they give to allow remote management of todo list and serial links. MRV will be well worthy the 3 bucks then.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#322 OFFLINE   Mike Bertelson

Mike Bertelson

6EQUJ5 WOW!

• Moderators
  • 13,944 posts

Posted 31 March 2010 - 11:41 AM

I have a very simple setup: 3 HR22-100 and 1 H21-200 hardwired to a Ethernet switch which is hardwired to my U-Verse router/gateway. After the MPEG4 problem was fixed (the current NR has it fixed), not a single dropout watching basicaly only HD in MVR. Very often, my wife is watching a separate program also using MRV. Before the MPEG4 bug was fixed I was about to give up on MRV but now it's perfect performance-wise.

I do expect MRS (multiple room scheduling) soon or whatever name they give to allow remote management of todo list and serial links. MRV will be well worthy the 3 bucks then.

You can schedule from an H2x to a DVR, just not from one HR to another.

Mike

µß
Since it costs 2.4¢ to produce a penny, my 2¢ worth is really 4.8¢ worth.  That 4.8¢ is my own and not the 4.8¢ of DIRECTV, Dish, or anyone else for that matter.

#323 OFFLINE   slimoli

slimoli

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,979 posts

Posted 31 March 2010 - 11:55 AM

You can schedule from an H2x to a DVR, just not from one HR to another.

Mike

I know. I just want the same feature on the HRs.

#324 OFFLINE   Doug Brott

Doug Brott

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 28,927 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 31 March 2010 - 12:37 PM

Just my two cents....I like their effort....just think it falls short ...

OK, I think I fully understand your position you. When you call it 'Beta' you are simply saying it's not feature rich enough for you. I'm sure there will be adjustments.

Keep in mind, though that this is Multi-Room Viewing .. The feature you want is Remote Management. I suspect that if DIRECTV ever does enable Remote Management that it will fall under the same MRV fee .. meaning that if you don't subscribe to MRV, you wouldn't have either MRV or Remote Management.

As for managing the system .. I rarely look at the To Do list or History .. I just let the DVR do it's thing. I look at the Series Link manager from time to time, but not often. I don't mind going to the other room .. but then again, I have a pretty small house. If it were a really big house, that might bother me more. Still, it's very infrequent.

What I do look at often is My Playlist. That is available with MRV now. Yes, it's unified, but I like having everything listed .. the unified playlist works well for me because I tend to record things where there is capacity available and just watch the recordings from the list.

I definitely consider MRV (in its current state) to be one of the best features of the HR2x. I'd love for it to be free, but I have no problem paying DIRECTV $3/month now that I know that is what they are charging.
DIRECTV Firmware Monitor - iPhone - Android - HTML5

DIRECTV employee since August 2011.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#325 OFFLINE   Syzygy

Syzygy

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,306 posts

Posted 31 March 2010 - 01:03 PM

I don't mind going to the other room .. but then again, I have a pretty small house. If it were a really big house, that might bother me more. Still, it's very infrequent...

I'd have to trek up and down the stairs, and my 73-year-old legs don't work as well as they should. (Side effects of having taken statins, ill-advisedly, to fight cholesterol.)
Frank TiVangelist since Aug 1999, HD since Dec 2002, DirecTV since Aug 2004, DECA/MRV since Nov 2010
HR24-100 > HDMI > Pio 5020FD plasma
HR24-100 > HDMI > Sony KV30HS420 tube

DirecTV & Dish HD Channel Spreadsheet
DirecTV & Dish HD Channels Listed by Package

#326 OFFLINE   thekochs

thekochs

Icon

• Registered
  • 953 posts

Posted 31 March 2010 - 03:27 PM

OK, I think I fully understand your position you. When you call it 'Beta' you are simply saying it's not feature rich enough for you. I'm sure there will be adjustments.

Yes.

Keep in mind, though that this is Multi-Room Viewing .. The feature you want is Remote Management. I suspect that if DIRECTV ever does enable Remote Management that it will fall under the same MRV fee .. meaning that if you don't subscribe to MRV, you wouldn't have either MRV or Remote Management.

Agreed....any this is what I'd pay for....I think it should be there already. After all it "is" for non-DVRs to DVRs....why not DVRs to DVRs ?

As for managing the system .. I rarely look at the To Do list or History .. I just let the DVR do it's thing. I look at the Series Link manager from time to time, but not often. I don't mind going to the other room .. but then again, I have a pretty small house. If it were a really big house, that might bother me more. Still, it's very infrequent.
What I do look at often is My Playlist. That is available with MRV now. Yes, it's unified, but I like having everything listed .. the unified playlist works well for me because I tend to record things where there is capacity available and just watch the recordings from the list.

I use Playlist too and like that it is unified....but how on earth do you know what space is available where without going to every room and logging how much space is on each DVR and managing that dynamic info ?...PITA. Also, besides space the feature should also be to extend MPEG encoders. Example, in Guide or Search you go to record a show and .... ooopps ...already two conflicts at that time. So, you cancel out of that request and go to other room and find which DVR has best space and program there ?...or as it should be a message comes up as part of the conflict list options and a drop-down to select which MRV DVR you wish to assign this to....would be cool if it showed next to the MRV DVR name the percent space of the DVRs. You know the info is there and with all the hoop-la about DECA bandwidth the small traffic across the network to accomplish this would be zilch.

I definitely consider MRV (in its current state) to be one of the best features of the HR2x. I'd love for it to be free, but I have no problem paying DIRECTV $3/month now that I know that is what they are charging.

It has the potential for sure....won't argue that nor even the $3...but with the features I listed versus what I'll call "just playback" seems aweful basic to me...and to charge for...geeze. So, my only point would be these extra features IMHO put this in a class more in line with the other DVR "management" software of the box. After all, as we said before...we could be doing playback on a VCR but we buy/pay for these DVRs...why, because of the management features.
Input/Source Equipment
DirecTV Slimline 3-SWM Dish, (3x) HR23-700 w/DECA
Sony DVD DVP-NC85H/B Carousel
Samsung BDP1500 BluRay

Output Display Equipment
Sony VPL-HS20 PJ (1368x768) => Vutec 110" Screen
Samsung 63" Plasma HP-S6373 (1368x768)
Samsung 32" TFT LN-T3243H LCD TV (1368x768)
Sharp 37" TFT LC37D43U LCD TV (1368x768)

A/V Equipment
Yamaha RX-V650 Receiver
VideoStorm CMX84 8x4 Video/Audio Matrix Switch
http://www.video-sto....asp?prod=CMX84

#327 OFFLINE   dtvmike1652

dtvmike1652

AllStar

• Registered
  • 61 posts

Posted 17 July 2010 - 01:39 PM

So I was calling today to add the March Madness package and asked how much MRV would be after a short search the agent responded with $3. Seems reasonable, I'm not really interested in it personally but $3 doesn't sound terrible.

No it's not bad at all considering UVERSE is $8, FIOS is $4, and DISH is $0 but their DVR controls 2 rooms and you pay $7-$17 a month for each dual receiver.

#328 OFFLINE   dtvmike1652

dtvmike1652

AllStar

• Registered
  • 61 posts

Posted 17 July 2010 - 01:41 PM

I just want to choose which DVRs appear in my Playlist. That would be enough for me. If I could do that I might consider the $3.

Mike

You can any DVR hooked up to the MRV will populate and you can watch what's on that DVR.

#329 OFFLINE   dsw2112

dsw2112

Always Searching

• Registered
  • 1,936 posts

Posted 17 July 2010 - 02:10 PM

I just want to choose which DVRs appear in my Playlist. That would be enough for me. If I could do that I might consider the $3.

Mike

You can any DVR hooked up to the MRV will populate and you can watch what's on that DVR.

I think MicroBeta is referring to the fact that he can't select which particular DVR's he wants/doesn't want in a particular playlist. Not everyone wants all networked DVR's to show in the playlist at all times...
SL3-Slimline to SWM16 - DECA
HR34-700, HR24-500, & HR22-100

Protected By... spam firewall...And...