Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Mega March Madness: Incorrect blackouts!

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Lord Vader

Lord Vader

Special Member

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,173 posts
  • LocationGalactic Empire

Posted 19 March 2010 - 08:32 PM

The Ohio State game is currently on my local CBS channel. Understandably, it's blacked out on channel 704 in the MMM package range (no prob.). On the tuner via Double Play I want to watch the Houston v. Maryland game that is indicated to be on 704, but when I tune to it, I get the "This game is blacked out in your area."

Huh? That game is NOT being shown on any of my local channels and therefore should not be blacked out!

Of course, the lame tech support rep goes through this shpiel about "we don't control blackouts...". Yes, I know that; but you DO have the ability to turn on a channel when it's improperly blacked out.

I ought to demand they credit me a few bucks for not being able to watch what I'm paying for.

FAITH: I find the lack of it disturbing.

Opinions are my own but should be those of all Americans, who would be much better off intellectually, psychologically, and emotionally if that were the case.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Shades228

Shades228

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 5,914 posts

Posted 19 March 2010 - 08:36 PM

Check ESPN, and other local channels.

What's a zip code in your DMA?

#3 ONLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,913 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 19 March 2010 - 08:36 PM

The game just started like 1 minute ago.
If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#4 OFFLINE   bixler

bixler

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,252 posts

Posted 19 March 2010 - 08:40 PM

Game started at 10:36....after you posted. Is it on now? Check your local channel again.
Slimline5.....SWM 8.....SWS-8 8 way splitter
PI feeds SWS-8 splitter and HR 21-100 in Media Room 0x62c 3:59am 12/18/12
SWS-8 splitter feeds HR 22-100 in Family Room 0x62c 3:59am 12/18/12 wireless ethernet connection via Linksys WET610N
SWS-8 splitter feeds HR 22-100 in Master Bedroom 0x62c 3:59am 12/18/12
SWS-8 splitter feeds H 21-100 in Guest Bedroom 0x45d2 3:27am 6/27/12

#5 OFFLINE   Lord Vader

Lord Vader

Special Member

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 8,173 posts

Posted 19 March 2010 - 08:47 PM

That's because I called back, asked for a supervisor, and--hold on to your hats--he admitted DirecTV erred and said it should not have been blacked out.

"I will elevate this to our engineers immediately, sir," is what he said.

So y'all can thank me for this. :D

Opinions are my own but should be those of all Americans, who would be much better off intellectually, psychologically, and emotionally if that were the case.

#6 OFFLINE   Lord Vader

Lord Vader

Special Member

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 8,173 posts

Posted 19 March 2010 - 08:49 PM

Check ESPN, and other local channels.

What's a zip code in your DMA?

ESPN doesn't carry the NCAA Tournament. Only CBS and DirecTV via their MMM package do.

#7 OFFLINE   bixler

bixler

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,252 posts

Posted 19 March 2010 - 08:53 PM

That's because I called back, asked for a supervisor, and--hold on to your hats--he admitted DirecTV erred and said it should not have been blacked out.

"I will elevate this to our engineers immediately, sir," is what he said.

So y'all can thank me for this. :D

Was it really blacked out? You posted at 10:32 but tip-off for that game wasn't until 10:36 (30 minutes after Michigan State game ended). When you were looking for it earlier and posted, the game wasn't even being played.
Slimline5.....SWM 8.....SWS-8 8 way splitter
PI feeds SWS-8 splitter and HR 21-100 in Media Room 0x62c 3:59am 12/18/12
SWS-8 splitter feeds HR 22-100 in Family Room 0x62c 3:59am 12/18/12 wireless ethernet connection via Linksys WET610N
SWS-8 splitter feeds HR 22-100 in Master Bedroom 0x62c 3:59am 12/18/12
SWS-8 splitter feeds H 21-100 in Guest Bedroom 0x45d2 3:27am 6/27/12

#8 OFFLINE   jefbal99

jefbal99

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,838 posts

Posted 19 March 2010 - 09:50 PM

I haven't had a single game blacked out on the MMM package and that includes the Michigan State game (I live in Lansing). I've watched every game on 702-705 without a single hiccup, its been perfect.
Receiving Equipment: AU9 Slimline w/Zinwell WB68 & SWM 8 | Winegard MS-2000 w/PS-1503 Power Injector
Living Room: HR22-100 w/AM-21 | Samsung HL-S4266W (HDMI) | Ethernet MRV | Pioneer HTS-GS1 5.1 | Yamaha DV-S6160 (Component/Digital Coaxial)
Bedroom: H21-200 w/AM-21 | Westinghouse LVM-42w2 (HDMI) | Ethernet MRV
Home Theatre: HR20-100 | Sanyo PLV-Z60 (Component/Optical) | Flexio 16:9 100" Screen | Ethernet MRV |Yamaha YHT-690 | XBox 360 (Component) | Harmony 880

#9 OFFLINE   Lord Vader

Lord Vader

Special Member

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 8,173 posts

Posted 19 March 2010 - 10:13 PM

Was it really blacked out? You posted at 10:32 but tip-off for that game wasn't until 10:36 (30 minutes after Michigan State game ended). When you were looking for it earlier and posted, the game wasn't even being played.

Yes, it was truly blacked out. The tech guy told me he saw the same problem on his end, but he was able to view the feed. He also stated, "The guide information is incorrect, and that's what probably caused this. I will notify our engineers to correct this right away."

BTW, I had the blackout for more than just a couple minutes.

Edited by Lord Vader, 20 March 2010 - 03:38 PM.
Edited to correct typo: "correct" should have been "INcorrect"

#10 OFFLINE   TomJ

TomJ

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 15 posts

Posted 20 March 2010 - 03:25 PM

The Ohio State game is currently on my local CBS channel. Understandably, it's blacked out on channel 704 in the MMM package range (no prob.). On the tuner via Double Play I want to watch the Houston v. Maryland game that is indicated to be on 704, but when I tune to it, I get the "This game is blacked out in your area."

I had the opposite problem. OSU-UCSB was not on the local CBS channel and should have been on 704. I kept seeing the black out message well after coverage was scheduled to begin. As noted, the game started later due to the length of the game before. The switch was finally flipped just after the game actually started.

#11 OFFLINE   Lord Vader

Lord Vader

Special Member

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 8,173 posts

Posted 20 March 2010 - 03:39 PM

It sounds like it was related to my situation, Tom, and to what the DirecTV supervisor told me about the guide information being incorrect, which led to the problem.

#12 OFFLINE   Lord Vader

Lord Vader

Special Member

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 8,173 posts

Posted 20 March 2010 - 03:58 PM

All right, ENOUGH IS ENOUGH!!!

I now have two games in the MMM channel range THAT ARE BLACKED OUT when they're not supposed to be! Neither is the one being shown on my local CBS broadcast!

Why am I paying for $69 for a package that is supposed to show me the out-of-market NCAA games when some of these are incorrectly blacked out?!?

Now I will take nothing short of a credit to my account to satisfy me!

#13 OFFLINE   SerArris

SerArris

• Registered
  • 8 posts

Posted 20 March 2010 - 04:55 PM

I caught the tail end of the Michigan State game and was going to watch the Ohio State game afterward. It came on just after 10 and I got to watch the first few minutes of it and then it switched to the Maryland game. I was kind of irritated. I was watching cbs and the guide said it was supposed to be the OSU game but it wasn't.

#14 OFFLINE   Lord Vader

Lord Vader

Special Member

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 8,173 posts

Posted 20 March 2010 - 05:04 PM

This was never that bad last year or previous years. What the hell is going on?

#15 OFFLINE   xzi

xzi

Icon

• Registered
  • 527 posts

Posted 20 March 2010 - 06:25 PM

Not sure if it applies, but I know in my case (Albany, NY) one of the digital subchannels (6-2) always shows an alternate game. Maybe if the local channel has another OTA station carrying an alternate, it's blacked out on MMM?

Just a guess.

#16 OFFLINE   Lord Vader

Lord Vader

Special Member

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 8,173 posts

Posted 20 March 2010 - 06:33 PM

Our CBS affiliate here, actually an O & O station, does not have any subchannels other than 2-1, which is the same as 2, the primary one.

#17 OFFLINE   BetterThanMost

BetterThanMost

Mentor

• Registered
  • 62 posts

Posted 20 March 2010 - 06:46 PM

We had the same problem today with the start of the UNI/Kansas game being blacked out on the MMM channel, even though my local CBS affiliate was showing the end of the Tenn/Ohio game. Prolly missed the first 3 1/2 minutes or so of it before it switched on. I agree with above poster that if I paid for the package then there should be no blackout for an OOM game.

JVC HD-52G886 w/HR34-700 & C31-700 networked with WCCK
JVC AV-32320 w/HR22-1000
SHARP 13L-M100 w/C31-700

SLIMLINE 5S (SWM)

#18 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,483 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 20 March 2010 - 07:45 PM

I gotta say, my experience has been the opposite. Blackouts have been perfect. No mess ups. As soon as they swing away from a game on WJZ (Baltimore), that game has lit up.

But I have to wonder...why do they bother? The local commericials are minimal during the tournament (actually can't remember seeing even one on my local station) and the number of people that would be watching the "local" game non-local would be minimal. First, they would have to want to watch the local game, second, they would have to be DirecTV subscribers, and third, they would have to be not watching on ncaa.com or their mobile device or not watching the Mix channel (hmm, maybe this is why the mix channel is not HD). A very small number, indeed.

My only complaint this year....the very nice interactive buttons obscur the score when you tune a channel. The interactive has been great, just that the box area they chose lies immediately on top of the CBS score bar.

Edit to add: Very impressive. CBS just switched away from Kentucky/Wake locally, so I jumped to 703. It turned on within 30 seconds.

Edited by tonyd79, 20 March 2010 - 07:52 PM.

LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

#19 OFFLINE   Ebes1099

Ebes1099

Mentor

• Registered
  • 32 posts

Posted 21 March 2010 - 05:28 PM

The bigger problems seems to be the 700 channels switching to close games at the end so you have the same game showing on multiple channels. The whole point of having the package is to be able to see all the games at once. When I'm trying to watch Texas A&M v. Purdue but they are showing the end of the Pitt game on all my channels. Thanks, but I don't need 3 feeds of that.

I understand they are just pulling CBS feeds, but its a waste and they should be able to control it somehow, otherwise it's not worth paying for.

#20 OFFLINE   Luck255

Luck255

Legend

• Registered
  • 134 posts

Posted 21 March 2010 - 06:04 PM

The bigger problems seems to be the 700 channels switching to close games at the end so you have the same game showing on multiple channels. The whole point of having the package is to be able to see all the games at once. When I'm trying to watch Texas A&M v. Purdue but they are showing the end of the Pitt game on all my channels. Thanks, but I don't need 3 feeds of that.

I understand they are just pulling CBS feeds, but its a waste and they should be able to control it somehow, otherwise it's not worth paying for.

+1 to this I missed the end of Mizzou Clemson I actually had to watch it on the mix channel because my local feed switched to another game but it was still blacked out in the 700s because it was supposed to be on the local. Really CBS? How much revenue are you going to lose if I switch from your channel for a few minutes. I understand how/why blackouts occur but this particular package... I'm not really sold on the benifits of a blackout here. I think with march madness there should be a direct feed for each game thats just locked on it. Somewhere there has to be a point where it isn't a local channels feed. The announcers are there doing their thing so is all the graphics technicians and other things.

spam firewall