Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Defragging HR20/700 Hard Drive

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   kingofku

kingofku

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 12 posts

Posted 20 March 2010 - 11:51 AM

Don't know if this has been posted, but I've been having issues with my hard drive stuttering (audio primarily) and video (freezing occasionally).

After a call to tech support, they provided me with the steps to defrag the internal hard drive. It is non-destructive up to the point that if it finds a file (i.e. show) that has bad sectors, etc...that is the only thing that will be deleted unlike previous methods of reformatting the entire drive. They said it would take about 90 minutes so - be forewarned.

1. Depress reset button next to access card.
2. When "Almost There" message appears on screen: press down arrow and
record button ON DVR (not the remote) simultaneously until message appears on screen then release.
3. Defrag could take up to ninety minutes and again, the only items deleted will be those with problems.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,699 posts

Posted 20 March 2010 - 11:57 AM

Don't know if this has been posted, but I've been having issues with my hard drive stuttering (audio primarily) and video (freezing occasionally).

After a call to tech support, they provided me with the steps to defrag the internal hard drive. It is non-destructive up to the point that if it finds a file (i.e. show) that has bad sectors, etc...that is the only thing that will be deleted unlike previous methods of reformatting the entire drive. They said it would take about 90 minutes so - be forewarned.

1. Depress reset button next to access card.
2. When "Almost There" message appears on screen: press down arrow and
record button ON DVR (not the remote) simultaneously until message appears on screen then release.
3. Defrag could take up to ninety minutes and again, the only items deleted will be those with problems.

Not sure if this is a defrag, or simply another type of disk scan, which is what the screen shows.
As for the time, it takes longer.
I've done this and it may be the best disk scan, but for a 300 GB HR20, it takes 2.5 hours with nothing wrong and for some that have problems it has taken much longer.
A.K.A VOS

#3 OFFLINE   STEVED21

STEVED21

Godfather

• Registered
  • 327 posts

Posted 20 March 2010 - 11:59 AM

I had the same problem a little while ago and assumed it was weather related. The drive crashed Thursday. The final troubleshooting task was the drive scan you describe. I was told that it would reformat the drive and all info and recordings would be lost.

It didn't work and the replacement is on the way.

Your hard drive may be going bad so be prepared.

And VOS it take well over 2 hours on a HR-21.

#4 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,699 posts

Posted 20 March 2010 - 12:02 PM

I had the same problem a little while ago and assumed it was weather related. The drive crashed Thursday. The final troubleshooting task was the drive scan you describe. I was told that it would reformat the drive and all info and recordings would be lost.

It didn't work and the replacement is on the way.

Your hard drive may be going bad so be prepared.

For the record, you can no longer reformat the drive. The same steps that used to now do this disk scan, with no loss of recording [that weren't bad to start with].
"I'd say" with the changes in software over the past six months, that running this scan would be a good thing for everyone, even if you don't think you have problems.
A.K.A VOS

#5 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,699 posts

Posted 20 March 2010 - 12:07 PM

And VOS it take well over 2 hours on a HR-21.

Since the HR21 has only a 320 GB drive, then I'd guess longer than "slightly" over 2.5 hours, was a sign it was finding [and trying to fix] some problems for you.
I remember reading about someone with a 750 GB eSATA that was at 8-12 hours and had only completed 40+ percent.
2.5 hours or a proportionally longer amount/drive size, is for those without problems.
A.K.A VOS

#6 OFFLINE   viperlmw

viperlmw

AllStar

• Registered
  • 75 posts

Posted 20 March 2010 - 12:07 PM

So what does this do? It sounds like there are 2 scenario's: 1 is that this performs a format. 2 is that it does a disk scan, deletes any files with errors, then performs a disk defrag, leaving any uncorrupted files (shows) undamaged and available. Which is it?

#7 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,699 posts

Posted 20 March 2010 - 12:10 PM

So what does this do? It sounds like there are 2 scenario's: 1 is that this performs a format. 2 is that it does a disk scan, deletes any files with errors, then performs a disk defrag, leaving any uncorrupted files (shows) undamaged and available. Which is it?

• no formating
  • scans and may try to remap bad blocks/sectors

A.K.A VOS

#8 OFFLINE   STEVED21

STEVED21

Godfather

• Registered
  • 327 posts

Posted 20 March 2010 - 12:14 PM

Thanks VOS for the information. The drive still doesn't work so the scan didn't work.

I went out while it was scanning so the time was an educated guess. I've already got the new one on the way but i'm going to try again to see what happens when it ends.

#9 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,699 posts

Posted 20 March 2010 - 12:18 PM

Thanks VOS for the information. The drive still doesn't work so the scan didn't work.

I went out while it was scanning so the time was an educated guess. I've already got the new one on the way but i'm going to try again to see what happens when it ends.

Scanning can't fix a truly bad drive.
I'd call this scan more of "a tune-up" than an overhaul.
A.K.A VOS

#10 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,757 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 20 March 2010 - 02:19 PM

Since the disks utilize EXT3 Linux format, there are plenty of programs what could verify and repair those partitions outside of DVR. Or connect the disk by long SATA cable to your PC.
As to physical layer ( I'm recommending this all the time here ) - start with MHDD or Victoria from bootable media (floppy,USB stick or CD).

#11 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,699 posts

Posted 20 March 2010 - 02:51 PM

Since the disks utilize EXT3 Linux format, there are plenty of programs what could verify and repair those partitions outside of DVR. Or connect the disk by long SATA cable to your PC.
As to physical layer ( I'm recommending this all the time here ) - start with MHDD or Victoria from bootable media (floppy,USB stick or CD).

Good stuff for eSATA, but not so much for internal leased receivers.
A.K.A VOS

#12 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,757 posts

Posted 20 March 2010 - 04:54 PM

Yeah, that pesky 'void' sticker ...

#13 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,699 posts

Posted 20 March 2010 - 06:00 PM

Either that, or simply more "geeking" than a normal user might want to do.
A.K.A VOS

#14 OFFLINE   David MacLeod

David MacLeod

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,689 posts

Posted 20 March 2010 - 06:03 PM

ROTFLMAO I hate that thing :)
Dave MacLeod
S.I.H.

#15 OFFLINE   TomCat

TomCat

Broadcast Engineer

• Registered
  • 3,530 posts

Posted 20 March 2010 - 07:25 PM

• no formating
  • scans and may try to remap bad blocks/sectors

And, no defragging.
It's usually safe to talk honestly and openly with people because they typically are not really listening anyway.

#16 OFFLINE   venuslight

venuslight

Mentor

• Registered
  • 47 posts

Posted 21 March 2010 - 09:10 AM

I'm having the same issue on my HR20-700. However, I am using an eSATA drive. Would you all recommend to run this function on my external drive? Is the consensus that this is a sign that the drive may be going bad?

It seems that it is most susceptible to the stuttering if it is playing from the live buffer, i.e. it seems to be fine on live TV and on recorded programs.

Any other thoughts?

#17 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,757 posts

Posted 21 March 2010 - 09:50 AM

You don't need to wait for consensus, if you understand its conception - it could be established by a few criteria and first one - full disclosure of a status of your hard drive, but for that you must run the tests, gather SMART log before and after scan surface/remap bad sectors. Use MHDD or Victoria.

spam firewall