Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

DIRECTV HD Receiver with TiVo (Official Q2 2010 Thread)

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
784 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,866 posts

Posted 22 March 2010 - 08:08 AM

Even though there's been no real news about the upcoming DIRECTV-TiVo device in over a year, discussion here at DBSTalk.com has been brewing. As the new device gets closer, we'll be rebooting this thread once a quarter until we see some real hardware hit the streets.

Ground Rules:
  • This is not a free-for-all. Rudeness will not be tolerated.
  • If you harp on a particular point to the exclusion of others, your posts may be deleted.
  • We all acknowledge that very little is known about the new TiVo device and what we've been told may no longer be current. Do not claim to "know" something if you truly do not.
This is the singular thread for all future TiVo discussion until the device is actually revealed. Other threads will be closed.
Above all, enjoy speculating and anticipating a new chapter in DIRECTV history!

September 2008 Press Release
TiVo SEC Filing
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Topic Starter
  • Super Moderators
  • 36,866 posts

Posted 22 March 2010 - 08:09 AM

Synopsis of common arguments: (in other words, this ground's already been trodden, do we have to go there again?)

• Many people like the TiVo interface, especially the list guide.
  • Many people are equally fond of the DIRECTV interface.
  • Many people think that TiVos are easier for them to use.
  • Many people think that DIRECTV DVRs are easier for them to use.
  • Standalone TiVo devices have many features that are appealing to people.
  • No guarantee has been made that any feature from a standalone TiVo will make it to the DIRECTV TiVo.
  • The new device will run on DIRECTV hardware, although we don't know how that will work (we have some ideas).
  • TiVo, Inc. will develop the software for the device and seems to be solely responsible for the user experience.

Further, we've learned that the new TiVo for DIRECTV will not have the upgraded user experience seen in the TiVo Premiere, and since the DIRECTV HR24-500 DVR has been released, there has been some question as to what DIRECTV platform will underpin the new TiVo.

#3 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Topic Starter
  • Super Moderators
  • 36,866 posts

Posted 01 April 2010 - 07:34 AM

Please commence anticipating, and please be polite.

#4 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 31,689 posts

Posted 01 April 2010 - 08:33 AM

I anticipate that near the end of this quarter....we may actually SEE one of these units, if not at least an early prototype.
DBSTalk CHAT ROOM MODERATOR
DirecTV Customer Since 1996

#5 OFFLINE   cheesedjdj

cheesedjdj

Legend

• Registered
  • 125 posts

Posted 01 April 2010 - 08:43 AM

I anticipate the new unit just being an HR24 with the new Tivo GUI loaded on it and released by, oh i'll say August with a preview in June. In September released to all HR2x units.
3 D10-300s (Owned, 1 not in use)
2 HR22-100s (Leased)
1 H24-700
1 Directivo SIR-S4080R (Owned, Currently not in use)
Slimline 3 Dish
WB68
Directv since May 2005
Detailed Setup

#6 OFFLINE   Doug Brott

Doug Brott

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 28,917 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 01 April 2010 - 09:20 AM

Well folks, yesterday came and went .. It was my original prediction of when the DIRECTV TiVo would show up. .. poof! It's still just a bunch of hot air at this point. In fact, we are exactly as far today as we were when the first announcement came out on September 3, 2008.

With the proclamation that we'd see a new MPEG4 DIRECTiVo in the second half of 2008, I felt reasonably sure that we'd see one in Q1/2010. Wrong again! :nono2:

I must admit, early in this quarter I tossed that prediction out. Had we seen the new box @ CES it might have been possible, but when it didn't show I was thinking "uh, oh." I've since jumped on the early 2011 bandwagon .. But I have a loose affiliation with that time frame. If TiVo can get these things into Beta by summer, then maybe, just MAYBE, they'll hit the streets in time for Christmas 2010.

So far the best we've heard from TiVo is 6 months out .. and that is a moving target. Each time we've gotten news recently it seems to be 6 months out. It's great we've talked about it for so long, but to this day, it's all talk. That is unfortunate.

One thing I will say .. If we don't see this device by CES 2011 .. I think we can write it off as dead. At this point, it better hit a home run or it might be dead anyway regardless of whether or not it comes out.
DIRECTV Firmware Monitor - iPhone - Android - HTML5

DIRECTV employee since August 2011.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#7 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 31,689 posts

Posted 01 April 2010 - 09:27 AM

One thing I will say .. If we don't see this device by CES 2011 .. I think we can write it off as dead. At this point, it better hit a home run or it might be dead anyway regardless of whether or not it comes out.

I'd tend to agree sir.

At CES 2010, we saw no prototype, and continued to be told by the Tivo folks there "later in 2010".

If real news doesn't show up some time before Labor Day, I think the probability of seeing it at all drops off a cliff after that point.

#8 OFFLINE   HiDefGator

HiDefGator

Legend

• Registered
  • 187 posts

Posted 01 April 2010 - 09:45 AM

Since Tivo has pointed out that it will be the old Tivo UI, I don't see how this box will sell as a premium dvr at a higher monthly price?

Would anyone really pay extra for an HR24 with the old Tivo UI on it?

#9 OFFLINE   Sixto

Sixto

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,974 posts

Posted 01 April 2010 - 09:52 AM

I've gone from ...

Very interested (2008), when announced.

Just interested (early-2009), HR2x was anticipated to have some cool stuff.

Just curious (late-2009), after TiVo slipped and HR2x did MRV well.

Not sure I care anymore (early-2010), after loving the HR24-500, TiVo slipping again, and TiVo Premiere looks awful.
DirecTV: Genie, H25, CCK, GenioGo, SWiM-16 & SWiM-8, DECA to Gigabit Switch with FiOS (75/35)
FiOS: Roamio Pro's (2), Roamio Plus, Mini's (4) with Ultimate HD (My Roamio Thoughts)

#10 OFFLINE   bidger

bidger

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,946 posts

Posted 01 April 2010 - 09:57 AM

I anticipate that near the end of this quarter....we may actually SEE one of these units, if not at least an early prototype.

If that's the case, they might as well fold up tent. Over a year and half after the announcement and without a major UI overhaul as was the case with the standalone Premiere, I'd expect it's in beta with close to the final RC. Then I'd expect to see an announcement that it would be released in late Summer, prior to the NFL Season.

Ceton 6 tuner eth, Cisco Tuning Adapter 1520, TWC Digital Explorer Pak and Standard Internet, TiVo HD (upgraded to 500 GB) for OTA,TC-P50U50, SONY NSZ-GT1 BD player and Google TV box, Yamaha RX-V373 A/V receiver, Squeezebox Duet music streaming device, Xbox 360 

#11 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 31,689 posts

Posted 01 April 2010 - 10:02 AM

If that's the case, they might as well fold up tent. Over a year and half after the announcement and without a major UI overhaul as was the case with the standalone Premiere, I'd expect it's in beta with close to the final RC. Then I'd expect to see an announcement that it would be released in late Summer, prior to the NFL Season.

Little dispute on those points....they've been working on it supposedly now for over 18 months.

#12 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Topic Starter
  • Super Moderators
  • 36,866 posts

Posted 01 April 2010 - 10:13 AM

I'm sticking to my prediction of Q1/2011 at this point... by then there should at least be a running prototype.

#13 OFFLINE   Syzygy

Syzygy

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,306 posts

Posted 01 April 2010 - 11:36 AM

Since Tivo has pointed out that it will be the old Tivo UI, I don't see how this box will sell as a premium dvr at a higher monthly price?

Would anyone really pay extra for an HR24 with the old Tivo UI on it?

Even though this sounds like a troll, I'll bite: Yes. Emphatically yes.

IMO it's not the interface, it's the HR2x's bugs and deficiencies — and interference by D* marketing (preventing CIG from working or being user-maintainable).

Of course I'm assuming that a TiVo won't have as many bugs. Here's my complete list of HR10 deficiencies:

• The HR10 always forgets your position (in either a recording or the live buffer) if you exit after pausing within 5 minutes of the end.
• FFx1 frequently (and inevitably) freezes, and then the screen may go black after a while, unless and until you press another trick play button.
• Every few months my HR10 has to be restarted, often after it complains that it hasn't been able to get schedule info because the phone connection isn't working.
• When DirecTV deletes and re-adds a junk channel, TiVo doesn't remember that you've already removed it from the list of Channels I Get.
• [not a bug; WAD] The HR10 makes you wait a minute or three after you shuffle the Season Pass list.
• [following Rupert Murdoch's nefarious plan] It can no longer pick up any HD channels from the satellites. ;)

Does anyone have more to add?

Edited by Syzygy, 01 April 2010 - 12:06 PM.

Frank TiVangelist since Aug 1999, HD since Dec 2002, DirecTV since Aug 2004, DECA/MRV since Nov 2010
HR24-100 > HDMI > Pio 5020FD plasma
HR24-100 > HDMI > Sony KV30HS420 tube

DirecTV & Dish HD Channel Spreadsheet
DirecTV & Dish HD Channels Listed by Package

#14 OFFLINE   Doug Brott

Doug Brott

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 28,917 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 01 April 2010 - 11:56 AM

Does anyone have more to add?

It can't pick up any HD channels from the Satellites .. ;)
DIRECTV Firmware Monitor - iPhone - Android - HTML5

DIRECTV employee since August 2011.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#15 OFFLINE   JLucPicard

JLucPicard

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,983 posts

Posted 01 April 2010 - 11:58 AM

If it doesn't come with a Peanut Remote (and I don't expect it will), it's dead to me. ;)

#16 OFFLINE   Syzygy

Syzygy

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,306 posts

Posted 01 April 2010 - 12:00 PM

It can't pick up any HD channels from the Satellites ..

Correct, Doug. I've added that item, with editorial comment.
Frank TiVangelist since Aug 1999, HD since Dec 2002, DirecTV since Aug 2004, DECA/MRV since Nov 2010

#17 OFFLINE   Syzygy

Syzygy

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,306 posts

Posted 01 April 2010 - 12:20 PM

If it doesn't come with a Peanut Remote (and I don't expect it will), it's dead to me. ;)

I use a Harmony One, so for me it's moot.

But what if it came with a Qwerty remote like that promised later this year for the TiVo Premiere? That'd make me think twice!

#18 OFFLINE   ndole

ndole

Problem Solver

• Registered
  • 1,894 posts

Posted 01 April 2010 - 12:32 PM

Page1!
I anticipate a late 2010 First Look! :rolleyes:
Nah, but who cares anymore really?
"He that is good for making excuses is seldom good for anything else."

#19 OFFLINE   bonscott87

bonscott87

Cutting Edge: ECHELON '07

• Registered
  • 9,809 posts

Posted 01 April 2010 - 12:35 PM

• [following Rupert Murdoch's nefarious plan] It can no longer pick up any HD channels from the satellites. ;)

Yea, it was all Rupert's fault for actually going with the industry trend of moving to MPEG4 to be able to actually carry more channels in the same limited bandwidth space. What a loser. LOL

#20 ONLINE   Mike Bertelson

Mike Bertelson

6EQUJ5 WOW!

• Moderators
  • 13,874 posts

Posted 01 April 2010 - 12:37 PM

I use a Harmony One, so for me it's moot.

But what if it came with a Qwerty remote like that promised later this year for the TiVo Premiere? That'd make me think twice!

Yeah but can that Qwerty remote operate all my stuff, have the ability to do custom macros of up to 255 steps, the ability to insert users defined delays between steps, remember the TOAD state of the appropriate equipment, etc....

I doubt I will ever find an OEM remote that do what I want it to do. Not even the superwhampladyne TiVo. :D

Mike

µß
Since it costs 2.4¢ to produce a penny, my 2¢ worth is really 4.8¢ worth.  That 4.8¢ is my own and not the 4.8¢ of DIRECTV, Dish, or anyone else for that matter.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...