Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Getting new roof installed...

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Kevin872

Kevin872

Godfather

• Registered
  • 344 posts

Posted 22 March 2010 - 10:20 AM

Anyone here ever had a new roof installed with an existing DirecTV installation?

I'll be getting a new roof installed on my house sometime soon and was wondering what to expect in the way of DirecTV charging (or not) to re-install and re-aim the dish after the roof is done.

Should I have DirecTV remove it, or just have the roofers remove it? I don't know if they would require it to be removed by them or not (possible damage, I suppose).

As a DirecTV customer in good standing with a premium package, I would think they'd do this for free, but who knows. If they do charge, what should I expect to pay?

When I upgraded to HD, I had asked if they could install the new dish on the side of the house knowing I'd be getting a new roof, but they said it was too heavy. Oh well! :(
Happy DirecTV customer since 7-14-2003!

AU9 5LNB dish > SWM-16 > 8-way splitter

HR24-500 > HDMI to Panasonic 60" plasma & optical to Sony 5.1 DD/DTS Surround with 'Harmony One' in LR
HR21-700 > HDMI to Toshiba 37" LCD in MBR
HR20-700 > HDMI to Phillips 22" LCD in playroom
H21-200 > Component to Vulkano placeshifter in basement

MRV & Networking: DECA, connected to Internet

Gigabit LAN, Comcast Cable Internet, Lots o' computers

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#2 OFFLINE   RobertE

RobertE

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,024 posts

Posted 22 March 2010 - 10:37 AM

$49.95 for the dish "relocate".

You may wish to consider having the roofers install a commdeck roof mount. http://www.rstcenter.../commdeck.phtml

Well worth it to keep your new roof warrenty in tact.
Have an Error or Diagnostic code? Find out what it means and how to fix it here: Click Me
Having issues with your HD locals? Report them here: Click Me
Is your receiver compatible with MRV? Check Here

#3 OFFLINE   Kevin872

Kevin872

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 344 posts

Posted 22 March 2010 - 11:12 AM

Would a "relocate" include removing AND re-installing it? The problem is, that would require two separate trips a day or two apart. I'd be inclined to have the roofers remove it if that wouldn't be an issue.

HR24-500 > HDMI to Panasonic 60" plasma & optical to Sony 5.1 DD/DTS Surround with 'Harmony One' in LR

#4 OFFLINE   grate88

grate88

DBSTalk Club Member

• Registered
  • 237 posts

Posted 22 March 2010 - 11:16 AM

my roofers left the dish up and worked around it, until the last minute. Then just gently laid it down and put it back when they were done - was only without service a couple hours one of the 5 days they worked.

They also adjusted it and got me better signal than I had to start - so no complaints.

Ask them, I'm sure they've dealt with it before.

#5 OFFLINE   Kevin872

Kevin872

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 344 posts

Posted 22 March 2010 - 11:23 AM

my roofers left the dish up and worked around it, until the last minute. Then just gently laid it down and put it back when they were done - was only without service a couple hours one of the 5 days they worked.

They also adjusted it and got me better signal than I had to start - so no complaints.

Ask them, I'm sure they've dealt with it before.

Ya know, I hadn't thought about that. I figured there'd be no way for them to get it lined up again, especially being HD and more fidgety. The roofing company is coming today to give an estimate so I will ask him about it before calling DirecTV.

#6 OFFLINE   davring

davring

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,400 posts

Posted 22 March 2010 - 11:26 AM

A roofer than can align a dish? ROFL

#7 ONLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,907 posts

Posted 22 March 2010 - 11:27 AM

I'm going to be planning for a new roof in a couple of years and part of that plan involves building a platform specifically for dish mounting, and then having the dish relocated before other work commences.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#8 OFFLINE   elbman

elbman

• Registered
  • 5 posts

Posted 22 March 2010 - 01:01 PM

Recently had the same situation. Since it was an insurance claim I had the contractor actually included it as a part of the quote and sub-contract the work out to a local technician.

At which point it was moutned to the Chimney instead :)

#9 OFFLINE   MonyMony

MonyMony

Legend

• Registered
  • 132 posts

Posted 22 March 2010 - 03:10 PM

My roofers unbolted it, put the new roof on and bolted it back in the same spot. Worked fine and did not in my case need any adjustments.

#10 OFFLINE   BattleZone

BattleZone

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,969 posts

Posted 22 March 2010 - 04:00 PM

DirecTV will charge for each visit.

Another thing to be careful of is that roofers tend to remove/lose bolts and other pieces, which then requires a whole new dish (techs can't replace *parts*, only entire dishes), which will cost you more money. What you/they need to do is disconnect the cables, loosen the main mast clamp and remove the dish, then remove the lag bolts that hold the mast foot and support arm feet from the roof, and remove the entire mast assembly. Don't let them take the other parts apart...

#11 OFFLINE   netraa

netraa

Godfather

• Registered
  • 483 posts

Posted 22 March 2010 - 04:28 PM

Roofers sometimes also tend to use a hammer to re-install the bolts.

When you call Direct don't let them set you up for a service call. Depending on the amount of work that needs to be done to get your dish back up to spec, the service Technician may not do the work, and instead have you rescheduled for a dish 'relocate' since that's the proper work order for what your having done.

Another thing to worry about when roofers put your dish back up is, if they do a bad enough job, and i've seen some bad ones... when the tech shows up, he may be forced to pull a new dish mount out and re-install the mount for the dish. That means that the old mounting hardware is going to be left on the roof, and the bran new roof you just had installed is going to get 10 more holes punched it in.

#12 OFFLINE   Kevin872

Kevin872

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 344 posts

Posted 22 March 2010 - 04:36 PM

Lots of good feedback. The roofer said that they usually remove then remount them in the same holes and 'quite often' it still works.

I guess I'll hope for the best. I'm tempted to schedule DirecTV to come out and check it anyway. If I don't call until after the roof is installed and it doesn't work, I could be without satellite for a week. Agh!

#13 OFFLINE   RobertE

RobertE

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,024 posts

Posted 22 March 2010 - 04:41 PM

I'll restate my recommendation for the commdeck.
Have an Error or Diagnostic code? Find out what it means and how to fix it here: Click Me

#14 OFFLINE   Shades228

Shades228

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 5,914 posts

Posted 22 March 2010 - 05:37 PM

I'll second Robert's suggestion.

#15 OFFLINE   jleupen

jleupen

Legend

• Registered
  • 120 posts

Posted 22 March 2010 - 06:10 PM

My roofers removed the dish and reinstalled it after laying the new roof. Signal strength was very poor in general, and most of the HD channels were not working at all.

When I called DirecTV to schedule a realignment, I ended up buying the Protection Plan. This covered the realignment, but also covers anything else that may go wrong going forward. I had thought about cancelling the PP, but have already used it to replace a broken remote.
5 LNB Dish & Zinwell WB68 Multiswitch
OTA Antenna in Attic

Family Room: HR22-100 > Samsung 46" UN46B6000 LED
Media Room: HR20-100 > Samsung 55" UN55C6300 LED
Bedroom: H20-100 > Samsung 22" LN22B360 1080p LCD

#16 OFFLINE   RobertE

RobertE

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,024 posts

Posted 22 March 2010 - 06:20 PM

My roofers removed the dish and reinstalled it after laying the new roof. Signal strength was very poor in general, and most of the HD channels were not working at all.

When I called DirecTV to schedule a realignment, I ended up buying the Protection Plan. This covered the realignment, but also covers anything else that may go wrong going forward. I had thought about cancelling the PP, but have already used it to replace a broken remote.

The protection plan does not (shouldn't) cover remounting the dish in this case. The CSR screwed over the tech by scheduling a service call instead of a relocate.

#17 OFFLINE   jleupen

jleupen

Legend

• Registered
  • 120 posts

Posted 22 March 2010 - 06:28 PM

The protection plan does not (shouldn't) cover remounting the dish in this case. The CSR screwed over the tech by scheduling a service call instead of a relocate.

The tech didn't remount my dish, just realigned it.
OTA Antenna in Attic

#18 OFFLINE   RobertE

RobertE

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,024 posts

Posted 22 March 2010 - 06:32 PM

The tech didn't remount my dish, just realigned it.

Technically it still should have been a relocate.

The way it got setup:
1) The csr got you to sign up for the protection plan and got a commision.
2) The tech got screwed on pay.
3) If within previous 90 days of other activity, that tech got screwed with a SIN.

The CSR was wrong in setting up as they did.

#19 OFFLINE   jleupen

jleupen

Legend

• Registered
  • 120 posts

Posted 22 March 2010 - 06:35 PM

Ok, I don't know what the CSR was supposed to do. I had considered signing up for the PP before, so this seemed like a good plan to me.
OTA Antenna in Attic

#20 OFFLINE   BattleZone

BattleZone

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,969 posts

Posted 22 March 2010 - 07:50 PM

I'll second Robert's suggestion.