Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of DBSTalk by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Dish Network FAQ Thread

• Please log in to reply
67 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   RasputinAXP

RasputinAXP

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,131 posts

Posted 22 March 2010 - 08:25 PM

This is where the most frequently asked questions, the repeats, the je ne sais quoi of Dish inquiries can be collected.

Glossary
G2eLKDN.png
Q: How many receivers can I lease?

A: As of 2/1/2010, you may lease up to 3 receivers with up to two outputs each.

Q: What receivers are available?

A: Dish has both single-output "Solo" receivers and dual-output "Duo" receivers with both standard def and HD capabilities. The Hopper whole home DVR is also available. The breakdown is as follows:

*Solo SoloDVR Duo DuoDVR Sling DuoDVR Hopper Joey
SD (MPEG2) 301/311 512 322 522/625 * * *
HD (MPEG4) 211k/211/411 612222/222k622/722/722k 922 x x
Add'l Rcvr Charge $7 $10 $14 $17 $20 $7, $12 after 5/22/13 $7

Dual-output receivers allow for two independently controlled televisions; the 2nd output (TV2) is standard-def only.

The Hopper and Joey are a whole-home DVR system that allows for HD at every television.

Q: How many wires need to be run per Dish receiver?

A: Using a Dish Pro Plus and diplexers, there only needs to be one Coax outlet available for a receiver; if there are multiple tuners or a TV2 backfeed, they will be split and diplexed back into the single cable behind your receiver.

Q: Does Dish do Multi-Room Viewing (MRV)?

A dual-output "Duo" tuner allows up to two televisions access to everything on the main receiver, with the second in SD. The Hopper is a true MRV (aka Whole Home DVR) solution that allows for a single DVR with HD multiroom viewing.

Q: What channels are in x package and how much does it cost?

A: 
MvzD4A2.jpg

Q: Will Dish ever get MLB: Extra Innings again?

A: The earliest that Dish will be able to re-bid for MLB:EI is 2012(?)

Q: What's the difference between "Eastern Arc" and "Western Arc"?

A:"Eastern Arc" is Dish's name for a fairly new grouping of 3 satellite orbital locations meant to provide service to the eastern half of the US. Orbital locations include 61.5 WL, 72.7 WL, and 77 WL. 72.7 and 77 are Canadian and Mexican orbital slots, respectively, that Dish is leasing from the host country, which is why the sats are unusually close to each other. Much of the programming on these satellites, including standard-definition programming, is encoded with MPEG v4 compression, which means that all Eastern Arc subscribers must have all MPEG4-capable receivers. Eastern Arc requires the 1000.4 dish (or the rarely-used 1000.5 dish in a few locations), which can support 3 DPP receivers and has an input for a 4th orbital location.

"Western Arc" is Dish's name for the original grouping of 3 satellite orbital locations that has traditionally provided service to the entire country, but going forward will be primarily for the western half of the US. Orbial locations include 110 WL, 119 WL, and 129 WL. The 1000.2 dish is the most common dish configuration, but older setups used the original 1000 dish or even a pair of 500 dishes, one pointed at 119/110 and a "wing" dish pointed at 129. Standard definition programming is all MPEG2, so any modern receiver will work. HD requires MPEG4-capable receivers. Standard-definition only requires the 119/110 orbital locations, which is normally served with a Dish 500.

Q: Can I get out of market teams with the Multi Sports Pack?

A: No pro teams, no. You can pick up some extra college games.

Q: What is an LNB?

A: LNB(-F) = Low-Noise Block-down converter (with Feedhorn attached)

An LNB converts a block of high-frequency radio signals (that travel easily through the air) down to a lower frequency range that can pass more easily through coax cable and can be tuned by a satellite tuner. Great care is taken to ensure that very little "noise" is introduced into the signal during this conversion. Small-dish satellites use LNBs with integrated feedhorns, unlike older C-band and other satellite LNB designs where the feedhorn is a separate, detachable unit.

Any LNB pack that is capable of picking up more than one orbital location will have some kind of integrated multiswitch, allowing a single output to have access to all of the orbital locations as needed. The design of these switches can and has varied. Most Dish Network dishes installed today use LNBs with integrated DishProPlus (DPP) switches, which allow a dual-tuner receiver to have both tuners fed via a single coax cable.

Q: What is LNB Drift?

The drift is a term using to describe changes (deviation) of LOF (local oscillator's frequency) inside of the LNBF. Actually DP and DPP LNBFs has two LOFs.
Post a screenshot(s) with the diagnostics and we will explain each number on it.

If you go to the System Info screen (Menu, 6, 1, 3), and if you get an "ERROR: Click Details" message instead of "Good", you can go into Details and it will show you if one or more of your LNBs are drifting, and what the drift value is. If the number is 6 or greater, the LNB needs to be replaced. thanks, BattleZone!

Q: What's Free HD for Life? Can I get it?

A: Free HD for Life is a relatively new Dish promotion. It removes the $10 HD Enabling fee from your account. There are three ways to get it:
1. Sign up for and maintain autopay and paperless billing with a 24-month commitment.
2. Pay a one-time fee of $99
3. Be grandfathered in by having subscribed to "HD+PLATINUM FOR $10" customer before June 3, 2010
It's available to both new and current customers.

Q: What happened to Dish Family?

A: The Dish Family package was removed from the lineup in February 2010. Existing subscribers are grandfathered in until they change programming.

Q: Dish removed a channel I REALLY REALLY WANTED. Do I have to pay an ETF? They violated their contract with me!!!

A: Yes you still do. Your agreement allows for these types of disputes. From the Residential Customer Agreement, with emphasis:

I. Changes in Services Offered. We may add, delete, rearrange and/or change any and all programming, programming packages and other Services that we offer, as well as the prices and fees related to such programming, programming packages and Services, at any time, including without limitation, during any term commitment period to which you have agreed. If a change affects you, we will notify you of such change and its effective date. In the event that we delete, rearrange or change any programming, programming packages or other Services, we have no obligation to replace or supplement such programming, programming packages or other Services. You are not entitled to any refund because of a deletion, rearrangement or change of any programming, programming packages or other Services.

It's not to say that you can't get your ETF waived, but it's highly unlikely to happen.
Q: I'm missing HD channels I used to have! What happened?

It's most likely that you are set up on a "split arc" with two dishes, one pointing at 61.5 (one eye) and another pointing at 110 and 119 (two eyes).
You should call Dish and ask for a tech to review your setup. Depending on where you're located you'll receive either a single Eastern Arc (61.5/72.7/77) dish or a single Western Arc (110/119/129) dish. Eastern Arc setups also require all ViP receivers due to the newer MPEG4 compression being used.

Q: What are the Hopper and Joey receivers?

Formerly referred to as the XiP 813 and XiP 110 respectively, the Hopper system is Dish Network's whole-home DVR service with HD available at all locations. It is a 3-tuner DVR called Hopper that has a 2 terabyte hard drive and the capability to record up to 3 satellite feeds and act as a 'master' DVR for the small Joey boxes that would be connected at other TVs in the house. The Hopper also has a feature called PrimeTime Anytime where it can record the "Big 4" networks (ABC/NBC/CBS/Fox) during primetime hours, allowing it to record up to 6 satellite channels simultaneously. Both the Hopper and the Joey have a single-button "Find My Remote" feature on the front of the receiver as well.

Q: If the Hopper only has 3 tuners, how does PrimeTime Anytime Work?

PrimeTime Anytime only requires 1 of the 3 available tuners to record 4 HD LiL channels because it records the entire transponder where those HD LiL channels are transmitted. Each nightly "transponder dump" is kept for 8 days, so on any given day you will have access to potentially 2 episodes of any given prime time program. Also, there is supposed to be a method by which you can separate out individual programs from this "transponder dump" if you want to keep them on your DVR longer than the 8-day timeframe.

Q: What should my signal levels be when I do a Check Switch?

Handily, we have a spreadsheet that DIRT was kind enough to post with levels for every DMA. Check it out here.

Q: My Joeys can't access Home Media/the Internet. What do I do?

Enable Bridging on your Hopper. It's a hidden setting. Press YELLOW - BLUE - SELECT - RED - MoCA - BLUE - BLUE and "Bridging" will appear. Select it and enable bridging on the Ethernet-connected Hopper.

Q: How much is the Early Termination Fee (ETF)?

Effective January 17, 2013 the ETF is now a prorated $20/mo, meaning that for each month remaining on your contract you'll pay $20. It's only effective on term agreements signed AFTER January 17, 2013. If you are on an existing agreement that fee won't increase unless you sign a new agreement.

Archived questions
Q: Why doesn't Dish have MLB Network or MLB: Extra Innings?
[indent=1]A: When the MLB Network started, MLB required providers that wanted Extra Innings and the MLB Network to "buy a piece" of the network. Dish CEO Charlie Ergen isn't interested in owning "pieces" of a channel, and chose not to buy in.

Edited by RasputinAXP, 10 January 2014 - 10:54 AM.
Added 2013 pricing.

"Belligerent and numerous."

Sometimes I update the Dish Network FAQ

AT200, Hopper & 360 via HDMI to Onkyo 505 to basement 42" Westy, Hopper via Comp-over-Cat5 to living room 42" Vizio with a Roku 3, Joey to Toshiba 32" LCD with a Logitech Revue. You want fries with that? Pull up to the 2nd window.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   coldsteel

coldsteel

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,984 posts

Posted 22 March 2010 - 08:54 PM

Good idea, but, yeah, you're 'nuts'.....
DISH 625 dvr

The opinions posted on this site are my own and do not represent DISH Network's positions, strategies or opinions. Unless I decide to be bad or call out an idiot...

#3 OFFLINE   RasputinAXP

RasputinAXP

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 3,131 posts

Posted 23 March 2010 - 07:51 AM

Clearly this makes me nuts because I CANNOT QUESTION YOU :P

AT200, Hopper & 360 via HDMI to Onkyo 505 to basement 42" Westy, Hopper via Comp-over-Cat5 to living room 42" Vizio with a Roku 3, Joey to Toshiba 32" LCD with a Logitech Revue. You want fries with that? Pull up to the 2nd window.

#4 OFFLINE   janeslogin

janeslogin

Legend

• Registered
  • 105 posts

Posted 23 March 2010 - 10:34 AM

I would like to first see a glossary.

Of this: "AT200, ViP 722 over HDMI, 360 over VGA to basement 42" Westy, Comp-over-Cat5 to living room 42" Vizio, with a Wii and a Boxee Mac Mini, ViP211k to Toshiba 32" LCD PLUS diplexed TV2. " I think I understand 'basement' and 'living room'. My spell checker underlines seven items - but somehow allows AT200, whatever this is, to pass.

I'm a bit facetious in the paragraph above, but I am serious about the need for a glossary.

#5 OFFLINE   RasputinAXP

RasputinAXP

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 3,131 posts

Posted 23 March 2010 - 10:44 AM

Some of the abbreviations, sure. E*, D*, AT200 etc...

HDMI, Cat5...those are just industry standard terms. SCOPE CREEP! :D

Edit: HEY this is my 500th post!

#6 OFFLINE   BattleZone

BattleZone

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,969 posts

Posted 23 March 2010 - 10:57 AM

Here's the full receiver table:

* | Solo | SoloDVR | Duo | DuoDVR
SD | 301/311 | 512 | 322 | 522/625
HD | 211k/211/411 |612|222/222k|622/722/722k
Add'l Rcvr Charge | $7 | $10 | $14 | $17

(Note: Eastern Arc requires HD/MPEG4-capable receivers ONLY)

Eastern vs Western Arc

"Eastern Arc" is Dish's name for a fairly new grouping of 3 satellite orbital locations meant to provide service to the eastern half of the US. Orbital locations include 61.5 WL, 72.7 WL, and 77 WL. 72.7 and 77 are Canadian and Mexican orbital slots, respectively, that Dish is leasing from the host country, which is why the sats are unusually close to each other. Much of the programming on these satellites, including standard-definition programming, is encoded with MPEG v4 compression, which means that all Eastern Arc subscribers must have all MPEG4-capable receivers. Eastern Arc requires the 1000.4 dish (or the rarely-used 1000.5 dish in a few locations), which can support 3 DPP receivers and has an input for a 4th orbital location.

"Western Arc" is Dish's name for the original grouping of 3 satellite orbital locations that has traditionally provided service to the entire country, but going forward will be primarily for the western half of the US. Orbial locations include 110 WL, 119 WL, and 129 WL. The 1000.2 dish is the most common dish configuration, but older setups used the original 1000 dish or even a pair of 500 dishes, one pointed at 119/110 and a "wing" dish pointed at 129. Standard definition programming is all MPEG2, so any modern receiver will work. HD requires MPEG4-capabile receivers. Standard-definition only requires the 119/110 orbital locations, which is normally served with a Dish 500.

Edited by BattleZone, 23 March 2010 - 11:15 AM.

#7 OFFLINE   RasputinAXP

RasputinAXP

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 3,131 posts

Posted 23 March 2010 - 01:41 PM

I'll paste those in. I'm brain drained from work so I can't think of the other more common FAQs. I'm sure they'll come up, and I'll add them...

#8 OFFLINE   ShapeShifter

ShapeShifter

Godfather

• Registered
  • 359 posts

Posted 23 March 2010 - 02:30 PM

Great idea! :righton:

* | Solo | SoloDVR | Duo | DuoDVR
SD | 301/311 | 512 | 322 | 522/625
HD | 211k/211/411 |612|222/222k|622/722/722k
Add'l Rcvr Charge | $7 | $10 | $14 | $17

(Note: Eastern Arc requires HD/MPEG4-capable receivers ONLY)

Might be nice to highlight which of the above receivers are capable of MPEG4?

(I'd offer a suggested update, but I'm not sure exactly which ones they are.)

AT250, Locals, Platinum HD
Dish 500 (110 & 119) plus wing dish (61.5)
Living room: ViP612 to Yamaha receiver and JVC 42" 1080i 16:9 plasma
Bedroom: ViP612 to JVC 32" 1080i 16:9 CRT
Motorhome: ViP722, to Sharp 32" 1080i 16:9 LCD (TV1) and SD 4:3 CRT (TV2)

#9 OFFLINE   Michael P

Michael P

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,898 posts

Posted 23 March 2010 - 02:41 PM

Great idea! :righton:

Might be nice to highlight which of the above receivers are capable of MPEG4?

(I'd offer a suggested update, but I'm not sure exactly which ones they are.)

That's easy! All of the HD receivers and none of the SD receivers are MPEG4 capable.
An E* subscriber continuously since February 1997.

#10 OFFLINE   BattleZone

BattleZone

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,969 posts

Posted 23 March 2010 - 05:02 PM

LNB(-F) = Low-Noise Block-down converter (w/Feedhorn attached)

An LNB converts a block of high-frequency radio signals (that travel easily through the air) down to a lower frequency range that can pass more easily through coax cable and can be tuned by a satellite tuner. Great care is taken to ensure that very little "noise" is introduced into the signal during this conversion. Small-dish satellites use LNBs with integrated feedhorns, unlike older C-band and other satellite LNB designs where the feedhorn is a separate, detachable unit.

Any LNB pack that is capable of picking up more than one orbital location will have some kind of integrated multiswitch, allowing a single output to have access to all of the orbital locations as needed. The design of these switches can and has varied. Most Dish Network dishes installed today use LNBs with integrated DishProPlus (DPP) switches, which allow a dual-tuner receiver to have both tuners fed via a single coax cable.

#11 OFFLINE   BobaBird

BobaBird

EKB Editor

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,022 posts

Posted 23 March 2010 - 05:10 PM

I think we may already have a sticky thread for how Duo receivers work, but I can never pass up an opportunity to dispel the misconception that tuner 2 of the HD dual-tuners is SD only. Tuner 2 can tune and record HD; the TV2 output (which is not a tuner) can only display in SD.
Charles @dishuser - a dynamic employee of Massive Veridian
Visit the EchoStar Knowledge Base
"The other guys charge $9.95/month to use tapeless record" - Dish Network Tech Forum, 8-6-01
"dual" is NOT the same as "Twin" - here's why

#12 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,393 posts
  • LocationBay Area

Posted 23 March 2010 - 08:15 PM

What is more sad as 722 has 2x7412 ie four (!) H.264 streams decompressors ! [MPEG-4].
But no second HDMI output :(.

#13 OFFLINE   RasputinAXP

RasputinAXP

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 3,131 posts

Posted 25 March 2010 - 05:29 PM

Hey, there's a few more I just remembered!

#14 OFFLINE   RasputinAXP

RasputinAXP

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 3,131 posts

Posted 02 April 2010 - 09:17 PM

Anyone else?

#15 OFFLINE   jsk

jsk

Icon

• Registered
  • 705 posts

Posted 03 April 2010 - 04:35 PM

I would add any additional fees that people may incur (i.e. DHPP, Access Fee (for not having reciever connected to phone or Internet), etc.)
Dish Player DVR 722K with OTA module connected to the Eastern Arc

#16 OFFLINE   RasputinAXP

RasputinAXP

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 3,131 posts

Posted 20 September 2010 - 07:13 PM

Added Free HD for Life info.

#17 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 38,690 posts

Posted 21 September 2010 - 01:57 AM

Added Free HD for Life info.

What's Free HD for Life? Can I get it?
2. Sign up for autopay and e-billing, and pay a one-time fee of $99

If one pays the $99 they are not obligated to autopay/paperless.

That leaves the three options as:
1) Sign up and maintain autopay w/paperless billing and a 24 month commitment.
2) Pay a one time $99 fee.
3) Be a subscriber who had "HD & Platinum HD" on June 3rd, 2010.

#18 OFFLINE   RasputinAXP

RasputinAXP

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 3,131 posts

Posted 21 September 2010 - 09:42 AM

What's Free HD for Life? Can I get it?
2. Sign up for autopay and e-billing, and pay a one-time fee of $99

If one pays the $99 they are not obligated to autopay/paperless.

That leaves the three options as:
1) Sign up and maintain autopay w/paperless billing and a 24 month commitment.
2) Pay a one time $99 fee.
3) Be a subscriber who had "HD & Platinum HD" on June 3rd, 2010.

whoops, that's right. DOH!

#19 OFFLINE   Jhon69

Jhon69

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,637 posts

Posted 21 September 2010 - 12:30 PM

AT200 and AT250 are $2. more per month than listed?.:confused:

#20 OFFLINE   FTA Michael

FTA Michael

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,473 posts

Posted 22 September 2010 - 12:31 PM

Q: Can I get out of market teams with the Multi Sports Pack?
A: No pro teams, no. You can pick up some extra college games.

Correct in spirit, but not precisely accurate. There are occasional minor-league baseball and hockey games available. And then there are the parts of MLB games that stretch past their scheduled times, a few MLS games, and the rare game that they seemingly forget to black out. (Fox Sports North used to be good for some Sunday Twins games that way.)

I say that you get almost no major-league pro sports games. Minor leagues and minor-league sports (looking at you, MLL) are rarely blacked out.
Yes, FTABlog is active again. Why do you ask?

spam firewall