Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Fried HD-DVR's

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   phatmatt1215

phatmatt1215

Icon

• Registered
  • 564 posts

Posted 25 March 2010 - 02:07 PM

I'm sure this is in the wrong place, so it can be moved or deleted. We were having some electrical work done in our house today and the electrician did something, and whatever he did, he ended up frying all three of our DVR's DEAD!

An HR 20-700, HR-21-700, and an OLD HUGHES one from eons ago. Anyway. We all had a bunch of shows on the two DVR"S.... Is there any way we can recapture any of the shows that are on the dead DVR's?? I'm guessing not.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   matt

matt

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,858 posts

Posted 25 March 2010 - 02:08 PM

No, the hard drive is tied to the receiver. Are they owned or leased boxes? Do you have the protection plan?
Slimline 5 with SWM-16
Wireless DECA
HR34-700!
R22-200 Leased
Owned H25-700 and H24-700 off and packed for the move.

DIRECTV subscriber since Nov. 2009

#3 OFFLINE   bixler

bixler

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,251 posts

Posted 25 March 2010 - 02:09 PM

I'm sure this is in the wrong place, so it can be moved or deleted. We were having some electrical work done in our house today and the electrician did something, and whatever he did, he ended up frying all three of our DVR's DEAD!

An HR 20-700, HR-21-700, and an OLD HUGHES one from eons ago. Anyway. We all had a bunch of shows on the two DVR"S.... Is there any way we can recapture any of the shows that are on the dead DVR's?? I'm guessing not.

:eek2::eek2: Hopefully your house is still standing:nono2:
Slimline5.....SWM 8.....SWS-8 8 way splitter
PI feeds SWS-8 splitter and HR 21-100 in Media Room 0x62c 3:59am 12/18/12
SWS-8 splitter feeds HR 22-100 in Family Room 0x62c 3:59am 12/18/12 wireless ethernet connection via Linksys WET610N
SWS-8 splitter feeds HR 22-100 in Master Bedroom 0x62c 3:59am 12/18/12
SWS-8 splitter feeds H 21-100 in Guest Bedroom 0x45d2 3:27am 6/27/12

#4 OFFLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,929 posts
  • LocationDripping Springs, TX

Posted 25 March 2010 - 02:10 PM

Recordings on the harddrives are married to the physical DVR, so you can't take them out and swap them to a working box.

See post My Setup for configuration info.

#5 OFFLINE   phatmatt1215

phatmatt1215

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 564 posts

Posted 25 March 2010 - 02:16 PM

No, the hard drive is tied to the receiver. Are they owned or leased boxes? Do you have the protection plan?

They are leased, and unfortunately we don't have the protection plan.... I had a feeling that everything we had on them was lost forever, but wanted to double check. We are going to talk to the electricians boss and try to get them to pay for some damages.

#6 OFFLINE   dsw2112

dsw2112

Always Searching

• Registered
  • 1,936 posts

Posted 25 March 2010 - 02:17 PM

Have you checked the rest of your electrical equipment in the house to verify functionality? 3 dead DVR's is likely going to raise some questions on D*'s end and charges may be in order. You should speak with the electrician and/or contractor regarding the issue to let them know they will be liable for any damage caused (this is why they're bonded and insured.) After that you should probably find a new electrician...

P.S. What exactly did the electrician do that caused the problem? That info will help determine what else might be problematic...

Edited by dsw2112, 25 March 2010 - 05:58 PM.

SL3-Slimline to SWM16 - DECA
HR34-700, HR24-500, & HR22-100

#7 OFFLINE   matt

matt

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,858 posts

Posted 25 March 2010 - 02:21 PM

Well since they are leased you could get one replaced for the shipping cost, but I don't think they will let you do three without questioning what is going on. I would see what the boss has to say, let us know.
Slimline 5 with SWM-16
Wireless DECA
HR34-700!
R22-200 Leased

#8 OFFLINE   Rabushka

Rabushka

Legend

• Registered
  • 165 posts

Posted 25 March 2010 - 03:03 PM

I am curious. What could the electrician have possibly done to burn out all three receivers? Did he connect them to a 220 volt line? I would think this is a hard thing to do by mistake. What about your other equipment? The TV must have been connected to the same circuit. Is that ok?

#9 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,653 posts

Posted 25 March 2010 - 03:09 PM

I am curious. What could the electrician have possibly done to burn out all three receivers? Did he connect them to a 220 volt line? I would think this is a hard thing to do by mistake. What about your other equipment? The TV must have been connected to the same circuit. Is that ok?

At first you might think so, "but" where I am, they allow one leg of the 220 to be carried over the white wires [what is neutral on the 110 circuits], so it "could happen" easier than you might think. :eek2:
A.K.A VOS

#10 OFFLINE   matt

matt

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,858 posts

Posted 25 March 2010 - 03:14 PM

Pulled the neutral. Now the POCO is upset, everything is fried, and the OP is at the public library. :nono:
Slimline 5 with SWM-16
Wireless DECA
HR34-700!
R22-200 Leased

#11 OFFLINE   Shades228

Shades228

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 5,914 posts

Posted 25 March 2010 - 03:37 PM

Well since they are leased you could get one replaced for the shipping cost, but I don't think they will let you do three without questioning what is going on. I would see what the boss has to say, let us know.

This is incorrect actually. Failure due to damage/abuse is not covered. You're better off finding out the costs to replace the equipment and what they will charge you for damaged equipment. Then you can find out the real cost to talk to the electrician's boss about. There are also other electrical devices I'm sure that were impacted. The electrician's company will more than likely try to settle with you first for some/most of it. If you insist on all of it I would guess they will open an insurance claim. I would also call another electrician to inspect the house to ensure that nothing else happened.

#12 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• Registered
  • 10,247 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 25 March 2010 - 03:54 PM

This is incorrect actually. Failure due to damage/abuse is not covered. You're better off finding out the costs to replace the equipment and what they will charge you for damaged equipment. Then you can find out the real cost to talk to the electrician's boss about. There are also other electrical devices I'm sure that were impacted. The electrician's company will more than likely try to settle with you first for some/most of it. If you insist on all of it I would guess they will open an insurance claim. I would also call another electrician to inspect the house to ensure that nothing else happened.

I would second Shades. Call up DirecTV and explain what happened to them and find out the actual cost to you to replace the receivers. Make sure you get it in writing or in an e-mail. That is what you need to present to the electician's boss.

- Merg

Today's problems don't worry me, I haven't solved yesterday's yet.

SlimLine-3 Dish w/ SWM16 (HD Service / WHDVR) / Full Setup
HR34-700 / Panasonic TC-P50G25 HDTV / HDMI / Networked - DECA / Family Room
HR44-700 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

HR24-100 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

#13 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,750 posts
  • LocationBay Area

Posted 25 March 2010 - 04:04 PM

Could be just fuses blow - easy to fix, but hard to open the covers if there are void labels.

#14 OFFLINE   drpjr

drpjr

Icon

• Registered
  • 722 posts

Posted 25 March 2010 - 05:18 PM

At first you might think so, "but" where I am, they allow one leg of the 220 to be carried over the white wires [what is neutral on the 110 circuits], so it "could happen" easier than you might think. :eek2:

Indeed. As easy as unscrewing 1 wire nut on a neutral that is common to two 110v circuits (on different phases) and poof/smoke.:(

I would second Shades. Call up DirecTV and explain what happened to them and find out the actual cost to you to replace the receivers. Make sure you get it in writing or in an e-mail. That is what you need to present to the electician's boss.

- Merg

Good advice. And to take it a bit further. All licensed contractors are required to post a bond for just this type of mistake/damage. Do not let the contractor try to have you put this on your homeowners insurance and then offer to "do a little extra at no charge" for you. You do not want this claim on your homeowners policy. It could raise your rates or even cause a cancellation if you have previous claims or more bad luck in the future. His mistake= His nickel.

#15 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• Registered
  • 10,247 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 25 March 2010 - 05:23 PM

Good advice. And to take it a bit further. All licensed contractors are required to post a bond for just this type of mistake/damage. Do not let the contractor try to have you put this on your homeowners insurance and then offer to "do a little extra at no charge" for you. You do not want this claim on your homeowners policy. It could raise your rates or even cause a cancellation if you have previous claims or more bad luck in the future. His mistake= His nickel.

Very true. You should never file a claim under your homeowner's policy unless absolutely necessary. And in this case, that is why contractor's are supposed to be bonded and insured for the work they do.

- Merg

Today's problems don't worry me, I haven't solved yesterday's yet.

SlimLine-3 Dish w/ SWM16 (HD Service / WHDVR) / Full Setup
HR34-700 / Panasonic TC-P50G25 HDTV / HDMI / Networked - DECA / Family Room
HR44-700 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

HR24-100 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

#16 OFFLINE   bubbagscotch

bubbagscotch

AllStar

• Registered
  • 52 posts

Posted 26 March 2010 - 02:16 AM

Just say there was an electrical interference or surge in the area and when you tried turning on the receivers they were dead. Did your tv's or computers also get fried?

#17 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,256 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 26 March 2010 - 06:51 AM

- Merg

That's if the electrician has insurance. I've done a lot of work in people's houses (no, I never caused anything bad to happen :) ) and that was totally without insurance.

The home owner takes responsibility for the electrical work and says he has done the work himself, then gets it inspected. In these cases, I would think the home owner's insurance would kick in (with the usual $500) deductible.

I stopped doing work in people's houses a long time ago, but it still goes on and is just one of the loopholes in most town's permitting regulations.

I really am interested to see how this story plays out. Did the TS hire a licensed electrician? Does the electrician have insurance? You'd be amazed at how many licensed contractors don't have insurance.

Why wouldn't a licensed contractor have insurance? They had to have it to get a license, but contractors tend to let the insurance lapse in hard economic times and nobody ever thinks to call the insurance company up and verify the policy.

In times like this, a lot of contractors are doing two or three jobs at once and paying for materials with other people's money, sort of "robbing Peter to pay Paul."

I can tell you this, D* is not gonna be happy if the TS tries to send two or three DVRs back at once. Even the PP only takes one bad HR back every 30 days. You can argue your way out of that, I have, but you gotta have a good reason.

My big question is this: After all we've written about the Protection Plan being a "good thing", why didn't the TS have it? And why don't the rest of you who don't have it get it? This is a perfect example of why it's needed.

By the way, the odds on getting a decent electrician are pretty poor. I've been one for a long time, I've supervised them, hired them (that's something I stopped doing pretty quickly when I saw what poor electricians we had to choose from, didn't want that kind of responsibility) and I know one electrical contractor in New Jersey that I would trust, but I'd be with him every step of the way.

I've never had many good things to say about D*'s installers or technicians (if they really exist), and I feel pretty much the same way about electricians. Who better to criticize and electrician than an electrician?

Rich

#18 OFFLINE   drpjr

drpjr

Icon

• Registered
  • 722 posts

Posted 26 March 2010 - 12:16 PM

Why wouldn't a licensed contractor have insurance? They had to have it to get a license, but contractors tend to let the insurance lapse in hard economic times and nobody ever thinks to call the insurance company up and verify the policy.

So true. Or to call and verify the license is good and actually for the same person.:eek2:

In times like this, a lot of contractors are doing two or three jobs at once and paying for materials with other people's money, sort of "robbing Peter to pay Paul."

Now days that seems to be the norm.:( Unfortunatly there is always a Paul that comes up short. Even good contractors get into trouble this way because they don't know how to run a business.

By the way, the odds on getting a decent electrician are pretty poor. I've been one for a long time, I've supervised them, hired them (that's something I stopped doing pretty quickly when I saw what poor electricians we had to choose from, didn't want that kind of responsibility) and I know one electrical contractor in New Jersey that I would trust, but I'd be with him every step of the way.

It's been my experience you can substitute "any trade" for electrician. Good people are few and far between.

Who better to criticize and electrician than an electrician?

Rich

I too am a retired electrician and I am most critical of shoddy electrical work.:mad::mad: I am hoping this particular one steps up and does the right thing.:) Even in the face of reality I am an eternal "half full" guy.

#19 OFFLINE   tbpb3

tbpb3

Legend

• Registered
  • 153 posts

Posted 26 March 2010 - 12:25 PM

That's why I can't see what the protection plan is for.To realign your dish?
Directv since 1994

#20 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,256 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 26 March 2010 - 02:11 PM

It's been my experience you can substitute "any trade" for electrician. Good people are few and far between.

Didn't used to be like it is now. Tradesmen used to take pride in their work. Damn shame.

Rich

spam firewall