Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Dish Receiver and multi-room viewing

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   jedi5

jedi5

Mentor

• Registered
  • 49 posts

Posted 25 March 2010 - 04:06 PM

Hi everyone.

Noob here hoping someone can help me out.

I currently have a VIP 722 for multi-room viewing.
This receiver will only control two TVs.

If I wanted to control 3 or more TVs, what is the best way to do this?
I've heard and read up on "mirroring" the signal but that's not really
what I'm looking for.

Any ideas?

Thanks all.

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#2 OFFLINE   coldsteel

coldsteel

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,984 posts

Posted 25 March 2010 - 04:15 PM

Only way you can watch off the same box in more than 2 rooms is to share the TV2 feed between rooms. There's only 2 independant outputs per duo-TV receiver.

Otherwise, you'd need another receiver.
DISH 625 dvr

The opinions posted on this site are my own and do not represent DISH Network's positions, strategies or opinions. Unless I decide to be bad or call out an idiot...

#3 OFFLINE   jedi5

jedi5

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 49 posts

Posted 25 March 2010 - 04:35 PM

Thanks coldsteel.

Trying to follow you here...

So from the 722 receiver, I'd have to split the TV2 signal
to other TV or TVs I want?

Could each TV watch a different show or will they all be watching the same thing like when you mirror the signal?

#4 OFFLINE   scooper

scooper

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,830 posts
  • LocationYoungsville NC

Posted 25 March 2010 - 04:50 PM

Thanks coldsteel.

Correct.

Could each TV watch a different show or will they all be watching the same thing like when you mirror the signal?

All watching the same thing. If you want independent viewing for 3 tvs, you need an additional reciever.
You CAN put antennas on your owned and/or controlled property...

http://www.fcc.gov/mb/facts/otard.html

#5 OFFLINE   boba

boba

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,580 posts

Posted 25 March 2010 - 04:55 PM

Thanks coldsteel.

What ever is on TV2 will be the channel displayed on all TV's that the signal is split to. If you want independent channel selection you need additional satellite tuners 1 for each additional TV.:):):)

#6 OFFLINE   TulsaOK

TulsaOK

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,469 posts

Posted 25 March 2010 - 05:07 PM

That's not exactly true. TV2 can display either TV1 or TV2. TV1 won't be able to be controlled by the TV2 remote but it can be displayed. My TV1 is on channel 75 and TV2 is on channel 77. I can tune to either channel on the home distribution system.
<span style='font-size: 10px;'>“Life is hard; it's harder if you're stupid.”<br /> - John Wayne</span><br /><br />Avatar: Tanner 1992 - 2009

#7 OFFLINE   jedi5

jedi5

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 49 posts

Posted 25 March 2010 - 05:18 PM

If you want independent viewing for 3 tvs, you need an additional reciever.

Yes, this is what I'm looking for.
That all 3 tvs can have independent viewing.

So I'll need an additional receiver? ... sigh.

#8 OFFLINE   BattleZone

BattleZone

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,969 posts

Posted 25 March 2010 - 07:27 PM

That's not exactly true. TV2 can display either TV1 or TV2. TV1 won't be able to be controlled by the TV2 remote but it can be displayed. My TV1 is on channel 75 and TV2 is on channel 77. I can tune to either channel on the home distribution system.

The ViP Duo receivers have a Home Distribution output where both TV1 and TV2 can be modulated. The standard-def Duo receivers only have a TV2 output, so not everyone has a TV1 modulator available to them.

I think the real answer to the OP's question is: MRV isn't available from Dish at this time, beyond the ability of a Duo receiver to feed 2 TVs.

#9 OFFLINE   jedi5

jedi5

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 49 posts

Posted 26 March 2010 - 08:03 AM

Thanks everyone for your replies.
I thought I was going to need an additional receiver but I just wanted
to confirm.

On a side note, anyone know how I can get an additional receiver from Dish?
I'm finishing my basement and I'm still a good 1-2 months away from needing it.

Will I have to buy one?
Can I rent one?
Should I go with a standard receiver or go for another duo?

Just trying to educate myself and prepare so that the csr doesn't try to give me the run around.

thanks again everyone

#10 OFFLINE   RasputinAXP

RasputinAXP

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,135 posts

Posted 26 March 2010 - 09:33 AM

It depends entirely on what you're going to need. You can lease one, and the cost is variable based on your status and which model you'll get.

Tell the CSR what you need and they won't give you a runaround.

"Belligerent and numerous."

Sometimes I update the Dish Network FAQ

AT200, Hopper & 360 via HDMI to Onkyo 505 to basement 42" Westy, Hopper via Comp-over-Cat5 to living room 42" Vizio with a Roku 3, Joey to Toshiba 32" LCD with a Logitech Revue. You want fries with that? Pull up to the 2nd window.

#11 OFFLINE   BattleZone

BattleZone

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,969 posts

Posted 26 March 2010 - 10:35 AM

Dish has a lease upgrade program called Dish'n It Up. You'll have to pay for the tech visit ($95 without the Service Plan, $15 with SP) plus any upgrade fees, but really, only HD-DVRs have an upgrade fee. You can only lease a max of 3 receivers, total. Lease upgrades will come with a 2 year commitment.

NOTE: you can only do a lease upgrade once per 12-month period, so plan for your needs carefully.

You can BUY a receiver anytime, and install it yourself if you like, and it will not count towards your leased receiver count, nor come with a commitment.

#12 OFFLINE   askthiru

askthiru

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 11 posts

Posted 01 April 2010 - 12:27 PM

I have a VIP 722 and my receiver is in the family room...I've connected the TV2 out from the receiver to the existing comcast outlet in my house and I'm able to pick up TV2 anywhere I have an outlet in the house.. I have 3 tvs connected with this set up and we dont really have the need to operate all the 3 tvs at the same time.. The only issue is that I have to move the TV2 remote everytime between the rooms which is a pain..

#13 OFFLINE   boba

boba

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,580 posts

Posted 01 April 2010 - 02:43 PM

I have a VIP 722 and my receiver is in the family room...I've connected the TV2 out from the receiver to the existing comcast outlet in my house and I'm able to pick up TV2 anywhere I have an outlet in the house.. I have 3 tvs connected with this set up and we dont really have the need to operate all the 3 tvs at the same time.. The only issue is that I have to move the TV2 remote everytime between the rooms which is a pain..

Solution: buy extra remotes.:):):)

#14 OFFLINE   RasputinAXP

RasputinAXP

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,135 posts

Posted 01 April 2010 - 03:17 PM

Yeah. They're cheap on eBay.

"Belligerent and numerous."

Sometimes I update the Dish Network FAQ

AT200, Hopper & 360 via HDMI to Onkyo 505 to basement 42" Westy, Hopper via Comp-over-Cat5 to living room 42" Vizio with a Roku 3, Joey to Toshiba 32" LCD with a Logitech Revue. You want fries with that? Pull up to the 2nd window.

#15 OFFLINE   Cyberswim

Cyberswim

• Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 17 March 2011 - 06:04 AM

Can TV1 remote programmed to control TV2?

#16 OFFLINE   BattleZone

BattleZone

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,969 posts

Posted 17 March 2011 - 07:08 AM

Can TV1 remote programmed to control TV2?

As a rule, remotes shipped for TV1 use are IR-only (a sticker on the back will confirm this). TV2 remotes are combo IR and UHF Pro, so a TV2 remote can be configured to run TV1 (in IR mode only, in most cases; there are certain remotes that can be put into TV1 UHF Pro mode, but they don't ship with the recevers and you have to buy them from Dish) by pulling out the "key" on the bottom and flipping it over. What this actually does is flips a switch inside the remote.

Commercial & Residential Satellite System Design & Installation
DirecTV, Dish Network & Free-To-Air

#17 OFFLINE   bnborg

bnborg

Icon

• Registered
  • 616 posts

Posted 17 March 2011 - 07:57 PM

The TV2 remote can be programmed to control TV1 (by UHF or IR) on AUX.
Dish Network VIP722k - Gold 250 + HD/Platinum
110,119, and 129 on Dish 1000.2
Dynex (BestBuy) 42" HDTV, Onkyo TX-SR303 Receiver

#18 OFFLINE   Cyberswim

Cyberswim

• Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 17 March 2011 - 10:44 PM

The TV2 remote can be programmed to control TV1 (by UHF or IR) on AUX.

Thank you guys.

My problem is, I connected coax (TV2) to two rooms. I would like to turn on TV2 without UHF remote (i.e. not waking parents). If I can program my TV1 remote (aux) that would be great.

Otherwise I have to find some Universal (UHF??) remote control ( not sure how to program that to control TV2 alone :) )

Edited by Cyberswim, 17 March 2011 - 10:50 PM.
minor change

#19 OFFLINE   scooper

scooper

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,830 posts
  • LocationYoungsville NC

Posted 18 March 2011 - 06:16 AM

To control TV2 - you MUST have a UHF Pro remote if you have a VIP dual tuner receiver. NOTHING prevents you from having multiple remotes for each tuner - you just have to have all the remotes for a tuner on the same remote address. You can even have an IR and a UHF remote on TV1 at the same time.

You can buy a kit that will let you use an IR remote on TV2 - but it's cheaper and easier to use the UHF remotes.
You CAN put antennas on your owned and/or controlled property...

http://www.fcc.gov/mb/facts/otard.html

#20 OFFLINE   Michael P

Michael P

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,941 posts

Posted 18 March 2011 - 11:58 AM

I have 4 remotes: 1 TV-1 IR, 1 TV-1 UHF, 2 TV-2 UHF. All you have to do is put the code for the TV's so that the volume & power buttons control the distant TV's.

As previously posted you can view the 2 separate dish tuners from any remote TV, but only one tuner can be controlled by a single remote (i.e. only a TV-1 remote can control the channel that carries the TV-1 signal). Some remotes can be converted by flipping around the plastic tab on the bottom (if the tab as a green TV-1 & blue TV-2 side).

One other possibility (which I have here) is to use in addition to the E* in house network a "CECB" digital converter on some of the remote sets. If you can receive OTA signals of your local stations that may be enough to satisfy the need for a 3rd or 4th simultaneous viewed program.
An E* subscriber continuously since February 1997.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...