Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Cinemax Penny Promo still going on?

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Link

Link

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,744 posts

Posted 25 March 2010 - 08:29 PM

I received a letter from Dish saying my Cinemax for a penny promo was coming to an end but I could keep Cinemax for the regular monthly fee etc, etc. I was planning to just cancel it because I'm not paying $12 a month for it and then in my bill that came this week it has the 1 YR Cinemax for a Penny charge of 0.01 on my bill so I guess it is continuing after all?

I was surprised considering I got the letter saying I'd start being charged for it at the full monthly price.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,319 posts
  • LocationNorthern California Redwoods

Posted 26 March 2010 - 12:28 AM

Yeah. I was just as surprised this year as you. I guess we're on some kind of "good" list.

"In a hundred years there'll be a whole new set of people."
"Always poke the bears. They sleep too much for their own good."

"If you're good enough, they'll talk about you." - Tom Harmon
A GEEZER who remembers watching TV in 1951 and was an Echostar customer from 1988 to 2008, now a Dish Network customer.
My AV Setup
My Slingbox Pro HD Experience
My Blog: The Redwood Guardian

#3 OFFLINE   GB1

GB1

AllStar

• Registered
  • 76 posts

Posted 26 March 2010 - 08:27 AM

Please keep us posted on this. I received the letter as well. I really like it for a penny, but not so much for $12. thanks

#4 OFFLINE   jedi5

jedi5

Mentor

• Registered
  • 45 posts

Posted 26 March 2010 - 09:08 AM

When your promos are about to end, what do you guys do to extend them or try to get new promos?

My .01 will be coming to end soon as well.
When my last promo ended, I called Dish and the csr pretty much said
there were no new promos she could offer me and extend the one that had
just ended.

Has anyone here had better luck extending their promo when it ended?

#5 OFFLINE   jkane

jkane

Icon

• Registered
  • 695 posts

Posted 26 March 2010 - 09:28 AM

I was waiting for it to die. Still get all those channels! Have not looked at my bill yet. Was afraid they were gonna bill me the full price. I should look at it online soon to see just what they did. I really liked paper bills since the made me take time to look at them! I wish they would email them to me instead of making me go online to find them.
- Jeff
922, 722, 501.

#6 OFFLINE   JeffN9

JeffN9

Legend

• Registered
  • 178 posts

Posted 26 March 2010 - 10:29 AM

I have received two letters and a note on my on-line statement (starting in Dec.) that the Cinemax channels would be going away soon but it hasn't happened yet. Once I received the first letter I scrambled to load as many movies as I could onto my 1tb external hard drive. Now the drive is full and I still have the channels:lol: Oh well they only seem to introduce 1 or 2 new "good" movies each month anyway.

#7 OFFLINE   boba

boba

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,580 posts

Posted 26 March 2010 - 01:57 PM

I received a letter that my Cinemax would end at .01 and it would go upto $12. This month I got a paper bill so I called to find out why. My Cinemax is supposed to end today tomorrow I guess I find out what is happening.

Oh yes the paper bill didn't show a .01 renewal but it didn't have $$12 either.

#8 OFFLINE   boba

boba

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,580 posts

Posted 28 March 2010 - 03:35 PM

I received a letter that my Cinemax would end at .01 and it would go upto $12. This month I got a paper bill so I called to find out why. My Cinemax is supposed to end today tomorrow I guess I find out what is happening.

Oh yes the paper bill didn't show a .01 renewal but it didn't have $$12 either.

Got home from work yesterday and checked Cinemax, it was still on. Called DISH I guess I went to India, after talking to 2 idiots I hung up and called again. Requested Tech support and got an American and some answers, My account has again been debited .01 for another year of Cinemax. He explained the promotion was supposed to end but some customers are being billed by the computer and DISH so far is honoring it. Seems to be another DISH GLITCH but as long as it is in my favor I won't complain. I still wouldn't pay for Cinemax but if it is being given to me I won't refuse it. Well that is my update, should I call and double check?:):):)

#9 OFFLINE   tymekeeper

tymekeeper

Legend

• Registered
  • 158 posts

Posted 08 April 2010 - 09:56 AM

Mine runs out the 9th of April. No good movies on till then so I canceled yesterday. No way to keep getting it. I also canceled paperless and auto pay. If all of us do that then maybe someone will see it costs them a lot to send a paper bill and give some thing back, maybe like $5 a year.

#10 OFFLINE   karrank%

karrank%

AllStar

• Registered
  • 114 posts

Posted 08 April 2010 - 09:24 PM

Just lost mine. Was given the .01 Cinemax promo (for A YEAR, they tell me!) for signing up on autopay in October.

Last month my bank had a data breach & changed my cc#., so dish couldn't autodeduct my monthly.

Forgot about it until last night--no Cinemax.

Just spent a futile hour in chat with THREE LEVELS of "support".

Still no Cinemax for a penny. Gone.

It's going to be a long year and a half. No MLB network. Now this.

Not going to give them ETF money, just ride it out & switch when the time is right.

Unless someone here has some ideas?

#11 OFFLINE   TulsaOK

TulsaOK

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,469 posts

Posted 08 April 2010 - 10:44 PM

Seriously, you are going to switch because you can't get Cinemax for a penny?
<span style='font-size: 10px;'>“Life is hard; it's harder if you're stupid.”<br /> - John Wayne</span><br /><br />Avatar: Tanner 1992 - 2009

#12 OFFLINE   russ9

russ9

Godfather

• Registered
  • 385 posts

Posted 09 April 2010 - 09:37 AM

I ended up with 2 years of Cinemax, not a bad deal for the price.
I know, it's not really relevant, I was just putting in my 2 cents....
Dishing it up since 4-4-1997
vip722K hooked up to a bunch of stuff. Like a bigger TV.

Soon to be on Dish network, explained by a BBC spokesman

#13 OFFLINE   coldsteel

coldsteel

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,984 posts

Posted 09 April 2010 - 09:50 AM

Just lost mine. Was given the .01 Cinemax promo (for A YEAR, they tell me!) for signing up on autopay in October.

Last month my bank had a data breach & changed my cc#., so dish couldn't autodeduct my monthly.

So since your bank screwed up, you're blaming Dish? What-eva.

Pretty stupid reason to want to cancel, IMO.
DISH 625 dvr

The opinions posted on this site are my own and do not represent DISH Network's positions, strategies or opinions. Unless I decide to be bad or call out an idiot...

#14 OFFLINE   karrank%

karrank%

AllStar

• Registered
  • 114 posts

Posted 09 April 2010 - 10:02 AM

To paraphrase Joe Walsh, I can't complain but sometimes I still do. Not blaming anyone, I'm an adult and can take the good (dvr capability w/entry level 211k, slightly better pricing than D*****) with the bad (intransigent csr, no MLB, 2yr contract). Wouldn't be so shortsighted as to cancel a contract and pay etf over a penny. Just my .02 or in this case .01

#15 OFFLINE   mcutler

mcutler

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 20 posts

Posted 13 April 2010 - 08:13 PM

My Cinemax for a penny was renewed last month, with the 1 cent charge on my monthly statement. But my new statement came out today, showing full price for the Cinemax. I called and they said the Cinemax for a penny was over. They did remove it without charging the $5 downgrade fee, and gave me a credit to apply against the current bill.

Easy come, easy go. No big deal, as I never watched anything on Cinemax anyway!

#16 OFFLINE   SaltiDawg

SaltiDawg

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,375 posts

Posted 16 April 2010 - 06:38 AM

My Cinemax for a penny was renewed last month, with the 1 cent charge on my monthly statement. But my new statement came out today, showing full price for the Cinemax. I called and they said the Cinemax for a penny was over. They did remove it without charging the $5 downgrade fee, and gave me a credit to apply against the current bill.

Easy come, easy go. No big deal, as I never watched anything on Cinemax anyway!

Yesterday (4/15/2010) I received a letter from Dish saying my 1 cent Cinemax Promo was ending next month and that they would be charging my account $12.99/month starting with next bill.

I did an on-line chat to cancel Cinemax and the rep gave me an additional year for a penny.

She handed me off to a Tech person re my not being able to get all of the available programming on my Top 250 package due to my antennas only getting 110, 119, and 61.5.

He offered to send someone out for a fee of $15. I replied that I would not pay a fee as E* chose to make my antenna setup "obsolete," and I had done nothing to cause the problem.

He wouldn't budge.

I wanted to give Fios a try anyway. Fios has a new DVR setup that looks appealing.

#17 OFFLINE   jgoggan

jgoggan

Hall Of Fame/Supporter

• Gold Members
  • 1,319 posts

Posted 28 April 2010 - 10:52 AM

Interesting. I got TWO letters earlier this year that the penny deal was ending and that CINEMAX WOULD BE REMOVED AUTOMATICALLY from my account. It very specifically said that I did NOT have to do anything -- that I would NOT be charged -- and that they would remove Cinemax. It also said very specifically that if I wanted to KEEP Cinemax, I MUST call and let them know.

My February 26th statement even has this note on it: "Free Period Ending... We hope you have enjoyed the best variety of movies and top Hollywood hits from Cinemax at the special promotional price of only a penny a year! The promotional period has now expired and Cinemax has been removed from your account."

Note that it says that it has been removed. It then goes on and says that if I want to add it back, I can do it for $12.99 a month.

My March 26th statement does NOT have anything related to Cinemax on it -- no charge or anything.

My April 26th statement, that just went out, has me charged $12.99 for Cinemax!

Stupid Dish. Now I have to call and get this corrected. They basically told me THREE TIMES that I WOULD NOT BE CHARGED and that they were AUTOMATICALLY REMOVING CINEMAX. What do they do? Not remove it and charge me. Way to go, Dish! heh.

Anyone else getting charged without permission after being told that you wouldn't be after the penny deal ended?

- John...

#18 OFFLINE   Paul Secic

Paul Secic

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,083 posts

Posted 28 April 2010 - 12:02 PM

Forgot about it until last night--no Cinemax.

Just spent a futile hour in chat with THREE LEVELS of "support".

Still no Cinemax for a penny. Gone.

It's going to be a long year and a half. No MLB network. Now this.

Not going to give them ETF money, just ride it out & switch when the time is right.

Unless someone here has some ideas?

Subscribe to Cinamax. MLB is an another matter.

Enjoying AT 250 HBO, 

Equipment: VIP 722 reciever

#19 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,319 posts
  • LocationNorthern California Redwoods

Posted 28 April 2010 - 01:21 PM

Recently my online screen changed to this appearance:

Posted Image

The difference is the block next to Cinemax in the Premium Channels used to be grayed out. The language about still having the penny promotion is still there, but I keep checking both my guide, my bill and this account page.

Right now my third year keeps on ticking. I have no idea why. :whatdidid

"In a hundred years there'll be a whole new set of people."
"Always poke the bears. They sleep too much for their own good."

"If you're good enough, they'll talk about you." - Tom Harmon
A GEEZER who remembers watching TV in 1951 and was an Echostar customer from 1988 to 2008, now a Dish Network customer.
My AV Setup
My Slingbox Pro HD Experience
My Blog: The Redwood Guardian

#20 OFFLINE   jgoggan

jgoggan

Hall Of Fame/Supporter

• Gold Members
  • 1,319 posts

Posted 28 April 2010 - 01:51 PM

My third year ticked for just under 3 months. I got a letter in January stating that it was going to be turned off soon because the promo period was over, that it would happen automatically, and that I had to call only if I wanted to KEEP Cinemax past some date in February.

Then, after that date, I got another letter from Dish stating that Cinemax had been removed from my account and if I wanted to add it back, then I could call them to add it back.

Cinemax continued to work.

My February 26th statement has a message explaining that the Penny Deal had ended and that Cinemax had been removed from my account -- and to contact them if I wanted to put it back. Interestingly, my February 26th statement also has a charge of ONE PENNY for a year of the Cinemax deal!

My March 26th statement is normal and shows no charges nor any messages related.

My April 26th statement, which I just looked at today, has a charge for $12.99 for Cinemax.

I contacted Dish via the online chat today and told them. They immediately stated that this was supposed to happen and I had to cancel if I didn't want to keep it after the promo. I told them that I had two letters and a statement that says the opposite and they didn't believe me. After arguing about it for a while, I told them to pull up my February 26th statement and tell me what the message says on the first page. It took them FOREVER to finally pull that up for some reason -- but then they finally agreed that it was supposed to be removed, but wasn't.

They then removed it and said that they'd "waive the normal $5 fee for removing a movie package." I reminded them that they were supposed to auto-remove it, of course, so there wouldn't have been any $5 fee if they had done it properly.

In any case, for those of you were it continues past the 2 year period and past the time that they told you it was going to be removed -- I'd keep watching your bills. Because they appear to be waiting two months past and then charging for Cinemax anyhow... For some, at least.

- John...

spam firewall