Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

D*TV HD Locals only coming in a 480P

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   moghedien

moghedien

Legend

• Registered
  • 203 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 08:56 AM

[quote name='holzerp']I notice that after a "Reset Everything" it doesn't clear the OTA channels. Anyone know how to clear those channels listed in "Ch's via Antenna"?

Thanks for you help.

If you disconnect the AM21 from your receiver before you reset, it will clear the OTA channels. It will do this even if you select "Restart Receiver" instead of "Reset Everything"

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   bobcamp1

bobcamp1

Icon

• Registered
  • 895 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 11:44 AM

If you live in an MPEG4 market (i.e. you can't get SD local channels), and you do not sign up for the $10/month HD service, your local channels over satellite will have a max. resolution of 480p. This is by design. You're not paying for HD, so D* feels you shouldn't even get it for your local channels.

As far as OTA channels, I honestly can't remember if D* also locks them to 480p or not. I think I (and the installer) set my receiver's TV output max. resolution to 480p anyway, so maybe that's something you can check on your receiver.

#23 OFFLINE   dishrich

dishrich

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,541 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 12:27 PM

As far as OTA channels, I honestly can't remember if D* also locks them to 480p or not. I think I (and the installer) set my receiver's TV output max. resolution to 480p anyway, so maybe that's something you can check on your receiver.

The entire receiver(s) is locked down to 480p if you do NOT have HD access on your account, so yes, even the OTA channels ARE down-converted to SD...

#24 OFFLINE   holzerp

holzerp

• Registered
  • 6 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 06:33 PM

The entire receiver(s) is locked down to 480p if you do NOT have HD access on your account, so yes, even the OTA channels ARE down-converted to SD...

Thanks for your reply. I'll stop trying to fix something that is working as designed. I had hope after reading other threads like "HR20 stuck on 480P for MPEG4 locals" but I guess they have HD ACCESS.

moghedien -- My H20-100 doesn't use an AM21.

Thanks again for the help.

#25 OFFLINE   cjrleimer

cjrleimer

Godfather

• Registered
  • 481 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 11:16 AM

I have HD Access and my tv is going down to 480p this morning with the new guide change over, when I try to access 720p and 1080i it says my tv isnt ready for it so I am wondering whats happening?

#26 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 20,048 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 04 January 2012 - 11:24 AM

I have HD Access and my tv is going down to 480p this morning with the new guide change over, when I try to access 720p and 1080i it says my tv isnt ready for it so I am wondering whats happening?

If you using HDMI, try component cable and post the result.

#27 OFFLINE   cjrleimer

cjrleimer

Godfather

• Registered
  • 481 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 11:35 AM

If you using HDMI, try component cable and post the result.

Ok Thanks I do have a component cable and to me the picture seems ok because I am on widescreen and it seems to be the guide thats causing it.

#28 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 20,048 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 04 January 2012 - 12:47 PM

so, you have no 480p issue using component cable ?

#29 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 04 January 2012 - 01:33 PM

Ok Thanks I do have a component cable and to me the picture seems ok because I am on widescreen and it seems to be the guide thats causing it.

Do you also have it connected to a secondary SD device as well?

Protected By... spam firewall...And...